Love for Batum idea.

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,770

Love for Batum idea. 

Post#1 » by JJ_PR » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Cleveland trades: Kevin Love

Charlotte trades: Nicolas Batum | 2020 & 2022 top 10 prot. frps

Why? Cleveland gets value out of Love. Charlotte acquires a star next to Rozier.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Re: Love for Batum idea. 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:28 pm

A star next to Rozier sounds completely underwhelming, and Love is about the most underwhelming star in the league. He'd be great for a team like Houston that could really use the third guy that spaces the floor and grabs rebounds, but god, if Charlotte did this they should take the team from Jordan.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,425

Post#3 » by Myth » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:30 pm

Charlotte isn't good enough to go this direction. They missed the playoffs last year, and only got worse this summer with the loss of Kemba. Therefore, they should be keeping those picks and keeping the shorter and cheaper contract of Batum. I don't think Charlotte should do even Batum for Love without the picks.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,054

Post#4 » by Crives » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:37 pm

Charlotte is in no position to move 1sts
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#5 » by Woody Allen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:52 pm

I wouldn't call Love a star.

The upside is that with that roster Charlotte picks wouldn't convey.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#6 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:55 pm

A star next to Rozier. lol.

CHA is one of, it not the, least talented teams in this league. They are in no position to deal first round picks.

Rozier and Love as a teams top two players isn't making the playoffs.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#7 » by Resistance » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:16 pm

Charlotte shouldn't do this.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#8 » by Revenged25 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 pm

Cleveland wouldn't do this. They don't want out of Love's contract. They have no reason to want out of it. They are under the luxury tax and have a ridiculous amount of expiring contracts so they will have plenty of money going forward. no, no no. Stop trolling actual Cleveland fans.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#9 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:48 pm

Cleveland wouldn't do this. They don't want out of Love's contract. They have no reason to want out of it. They are under the luxury tax and have a ridiculous amount of expiring contracts so they will have plenty of money going forward. no, no no. Stop trolling actual Cleveland fans.

You think a deal where CLE gets two FRP's from a talent deprived team in return for Love is a trolling post?

Can you name a player in this league that you value similarly to Love? And additionally can you name a young player that you would accept in return for Love? I think it would be interesting to see where you value him.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,837

Post#10 » by Domejandro » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Had they kept Kemba Walker, absolutely, but this is definitely the wrong direction for Charlotte.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#11 » by shrink » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 pm

Which contract has more negative money on it?

2 years of Batum at $52, and 2 years of cap space/relief?

Or 4 years of Love at $120?

If I’m CHA, I doubt I’d give up one 1st for the obligation to pay Love all that money, all those years on the wrong side of 30, with his injury history.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,814

Post#12 » by psman2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:27 pm

shrink wrote:Which contract has more negative money on it?

If I’m CHA, I doubt I’d give up one 1st for the obligation to pay Love all that money, all those years on the wrong side of 30, with his injury history.

My personal opinion:

Batum is worth 2/12 million...so 40 million of bad salary.
Love I would assess the next 4 years worth 22/18/16/10 so worth 66 of his 120, so 54 million of his salary is bad. However another injury plague season could make his contract look worse so he has more time risk than Batum.

IF Cleveland could get off his salary for expirings I think they should at this point. This could turn into a Melo situation sooner than some fans want to think where you cannot even get off your former star for expirings.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#13 » by Woody Allen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:29 pm

Given the situations of both teams I think Love contract is worse. Neither player moves the needle to win games but one gets your cap clogged for a lot longer.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#14 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:45 pm

At this point Batum is getting underrated. He isn't nearly worth 24M per season but he isn't a 6M per guy either. 10-12M likely is his market value IMO. I think he would be a great 5th starter for most teams. He has always been a guy that struggles to stay motivated and engaged, so playing for the manila folder of NBA teams isn't doing him any good.

Get him on a winning team and he will become a playoff caliber starter. Its just the salaries matching that becomes an issue. I still think he would be a great fit in Dallas as part of a THJ+Lee deal. Throw a little incentive to DAL since Lee is expiring.

Wright / Batum / Doncic / Zinger / Kebler is a really nice defensive starting unit.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,814

Post#15 » by psman2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:01 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

At this point Batum is getting underrated. He isn't nearly worth 24M per season but he isn't a 6M per guy either. 10-12M likely is his market value IMO. I think he would be a great 5th starter for most teams. He has always been a guy that struggles to stay motivated and engaged, so playing for the manila folder of NBA teams isn't doing him any good.

Get him on a winning team and he will become a playoff caliber starter. Its just the salaries matching that becomes an issue. I still think he would be a great fit in Dallas as part of a THJ+Lee deal. Throw a little incentive to DAL since Lee is expiring.

Wright / Batum / Doncic / Zinger / Kebler is a really nice defensive starting unit.

I got him as a taxpayer MLE guy. I don't think he is still a starter on a playoff team that has true contention. He is worth of rotation minutes 15-20. I would much rather have a guy like Tucker who signed for the MLE a few seasons ago.

Could I see him as a MLE candidate in the right situation. Yes. Could I see a team under the cap signing him to a 2/24 deal like you suggest to be a starter? No I cannot.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#16 » by Revenged25 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:03 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

You think a deal where CLE gets two FRP's from a talent deprived team in return for Love is a trolling post?

Can you name a player in this league that you value similarly to Love? And additionally can you name a young player that you would accept in return for Love? I think it would be interesting to see where you value him.

They are top 10 protected... we wouldn't see them until they are out of the lottery.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#17 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:29 pm

They are top 10 protected... we wouldn't see them until they are out of the lottery.

So Love is worth at least two Top-10 picks?
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#18 » by Revenged25 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:32 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

So Love is worth at least two Top-10 picks?

No but for teh development of teh young players on the Cavs he's worth more than Batum and 2 future picks.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#19 » by giberish » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:20 pm

I'd have Love's value at 30/25/20/15, so about $30M over. While Batum's maybe $40M over. It's worse for trade value in general though as Love's providing much better value for the next two years and most teams give extra value to immediate help.

Of course for Charlotte, they're going to be bad this year anyways, and probably bad (as in solidly under .500) next year as well, so they should be valuing the later years over the short term.

Love has useful trade value to a team that's trying to win in the short-run (at least somewhat) and which can send back short-term bad contract money with some incentive to justify the deal for Cleveland.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#20 » by BoogieTime » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:41 pm

I’m about to say, I’d rather have Batums contract with how Love has looked recently

Return to Trades and Transactions