ImageImageImage

2019 Post draft, free agency, and trade speculation: ValleyBoyz are back!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

alamin330
Pro Prospect
And1: 497

Re: 2019 Post draft, free agency, and trade speculation: ValleyBoyz are back! 

Post#1961 » by alamin330 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:05 am

Lol. Booker is not a bad defender. He spends so much energy trying to keep the team in the game doing everything on offense he has no energy for defense. So he says off a little bit off ball to conserve but when he’s focused he’s an excellent one on one defender.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#1962 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:11 am

Blonde wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:My goodness, if we had gotten Rozier instead of Rubio I’d be pissed. I’m really wondering though why we didn’t even consider DLo?

Either because they wanted to keep a pretty cap sheet or due to character issues. Neither of which is good reasoning in this particular case.

I have no faith in this front office.

I think we would've needed to renounce Oubre's cap hold and possibly stretch Johnson or something just to have an opportunity to make that max offer to DLo with the risk that it might've been matched.

I think DLo in theory would've been the most exciting of the signings but I can certainly see why we decided not to go in that direction.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1963 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:21 am

alamin330 wrote:Lol. Booker is not a bad defender. He spends so much energy trying to keep the team in the game doing everything on offense he has no energy for defense. So he says off a little bit off ball to conserve but when he’s focused he’s an excellent one on one defender.

He's objectively a bad defender. I've barely even seen flashes of passable defense from him in the 4 seasons he's played on the Suns. There's really no facet of defense that he's even really competent in. He's consistently late on rotations if he's not missing them entirely. He loses his assignment regularly. He doesn't even compete to get around or fight through weak screens consistently. His defensive awareness and effort is just not there. To say he'll be an excellent defender if he's just a little more focused or have more energy to spare would be a massive overstatement of even his potential defensive abilities.

I think he can be an on-ball defender if he can focus ,ore, put in more effort and play in a good defensive system but he just won't ever be excellent.
alamin330
Pro Prospect
And1: 497

Post#1964 » by alamin330 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:00 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
alamin330 wrote:Lol. Booker is not a bad defender. He spends so much energy trying to keep the team in the game doing everything on offense he has no energy for defense. So he says off a little bit off ball to conserve but when he’s focused he’s an excellent one on one defender.

He's objectively a bad defender. I've barely even seen flashes of passable defense from him in the 4 seasons he's played on the Suns. There's really no facet of defense that he's even really competent in. He's consistently late on rotations if he's not missing them entirely. He loses his assignment regularly. He doesn't even compete to get around or fight through weak screens consistently. His defensive awareness and effort is just not there. To say he'll be an excellent defender if he's just a little more focused or have more energy to spare would be a massive overstatement of even his potential defensive abilities.

I think he can be an on-ball defender if he can focus ,ore, put in more effort and play in a good defensive system but he just won't ever be excellent.

He looked pretty good at times when he played with the valley boyz (oubre, bridges tyler, ayton) now lock down but not horrendous either
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1965 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:09 am

alamin330 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

He looked pretty good at times when he played with the valley boyz (oubre, bridges tyler, ayton) now lock down but not horrendous either

If he looked "pretty good" at times while he's poor the rest of the 99% of the minutes he plays then he's a pretty bad defender. Only a Suns fan can defend him at this point
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,517

Post#1966 » by Jdiddy701 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:09 am

Qwigglez wrote:My goodness, if we had gotten Rozier instead of Rubio I’d be pissed. I’m really wondering though why we didn’t even consider DLo?

I mean they both are not the best options but whatever. I think the Suns would of signed Russell if they didn’t have Tyler Johnson’s contract. When it’s all said and done, Russell will be traded to Phoenix. I don’t see the fit in Golden State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#1967 » by Blonde » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:19 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Blonde wrote:

Either because they wanted to keep a pretty cap sheet or due to character issues. Neither of which is good reasoning in this particular case.

I think we would've needed to renounce Oubre's cap hold and possibly stretch Johnson or something just to have an opportunity to make that max offer to DLo with the risk that it might've been matched.

I think DLo in theory would've been the most exciting of the signings but I can certainly see why we decided not to go in that direction.

We went through the scenarios a thousand times in June and no, Oubre would not need to be released. Just Josh and Tyler (who will be gone next year anyway). And there was zero chance that the offer would be matched, as we saw play out. They had their all stars lined up to sign. And you can’t match a contract and then flip it in a sign and trade to a different team.

What’s done is done though. I wouldn’t be rehashing all this if there was anything relevant going on right now.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#1968 » by Crives » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:00 am

DLo is so overrated
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,031

Post#1969 » by SlovenianDragon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:37 am

DarkHawk wrote:I think what scares me most about this is the fact that our FO felt Rozier was a better option than Rubio...

Read on Twitter

The evening before NBA teams spent more than $3 billion in free-agent contracts in just over 24 hours, Rozier found himself with friends celebrating an impending move to the Knicks. He had decided to bet on himself on a one-year deal. We're about to turn New York up, his friends cheered. "A night before free agency, I was a Knick," Rozier said.

He spent much of the night imagining what it would be like to light up Madison Square Garden. He woke up to a call at around 4 a.m. Phoenix had offered a contract. A bigger, better one. We gonna have to take that one, he thought.

The Charlotte Hornets beckoned later that day. Rozier remained inclined to accept Phoenix's bid. That was when, Rozier said, Michael Jordan, the Hornets' principal owner, intervened. "Mike was overseas, and I can just picture him probably having a cigar in his mouth and the words he told Mitch [Kupchak], the GM, was like: 'Get him over here. Do what you need to do to get him over here.'"

Rozier was sold. "I'd be a fool if I was to go anywhere else or turn down that," he said. "I look at it as just a team, organization believing in me. Knowing that I want to prove myself in this league and giving me that chance is bigger than anything and [their willingness] to pay me a right amount of money, it was just big and the guy that was behind all that was Michael Jordan. It's still surreal to me."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2849414-you-dont-know-terrys-scary?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Thats so **** up...Honestly thinking about Terry in a suns uniform for three years makes me sick... cant believe we were that close.

Suns fans would have been like this:

Cant believe we were that close to taking a bullet and ended up dodging it. Thank god for Rubio our lord and savior.

If u go over and read the hornets board they are not happy at all...But tbh what fan base would be?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#1970 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:39 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Booker will never be an elite defender, he just doesn't have the physical tool or instincts that the great ones have. But like most players he can absolutely be passable on that end with better effort and attention to detail. Those two things go a long way to not being bad as a defender.

Two factors have probably played a part in how bad he's been. One is while its not a valid excuse it's human nature to let up a little bit when you're getting blown out. The second reason is simple fatigue, that is a little more of a real valid excuse because when you have to carry such a big usage rate on offense it will wear you done and impact your D. With Rubio taking some of the playmaking and Ayton taking more of a scoring load this is something that hopefully can improve this year. Also in theory they should be a deeper team so can shave some minutes off his workload.

I'd like to say I think he can become an average defender, but when you are at the bottom of the NBA after 4 years, it's likely not in the cards and I don't think it's something he focuses on improving. The lack of awareness on off ball defense is alarming at this stage in the game.

I didn't like it from Ayton which is a huge weakness for him but he's already better than Booker at that. He just plays a more important position from a defensive standpoint which is why it is talked about quite a bit. We really need Ayton to be an elite defender if we plan on getting to the playoffs in the west, and especially advancing. Booker can possibly be hidden if we have 4 other elite defenders on the floor at all times.
You can absolutely hide him, plenty of good teams have a guy or two they have to hide a bit at the wing or guard spots. It's not like he has to be good, just cleaning a few things up can make him not terrible. The good thing is he's not small so it's not like he's drawing dead.

Oubre putting it all together defensively would help booker a ton because then you could always have one of him or Mikal along side booker and let them guard the better wing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#1971 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Read on Twitter

It's unfortunate but cousins legs might be shot.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#1972 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:57 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Torn ACL confirmed by Shams. WOW. He's done.

Read on Twitter
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#1973 » by bwoolf2 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:00 pm

SunsLyf3 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This is why you shouldnt ring chase while you can still get paid, he could have gotten a nice contract from someone, his chance of ever getting another decent contract are over... Hopefully he can still make it back to the league but have to think with his legs its a long shot at this point.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,188

Post#1974 » by King4Day » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:17 pm

bwoolf2 wrote:
Spoiler:
SunsLyf3 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This is why you shouldnt ring chase while you can still get paid, he could have gotten a nice contract from someone, his chance of ever getting another decent contract are over... Hopefully he can still make it back to the league but have to think with his legs its a long shot at this point.

Supposedly he was offered 2 years, 40mil from the Pels after he tore his Achilles. He then chased with the W's betting on himself and gets hurt again. After this....I don't see him ever getting paid more than MAYBE mid-level. His next 2 or 3 contracts will be vet minimum probably. Or one year deals.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,188

Post#1975 » by King4Day » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:38 pm

What's this??? A compliment?

13. Phoenix Suns
Average wins: 38.0
Playoffs: 22%

Having won only 19 games last season, the Suns are forecast for the biggest improvement in the league this season. Squint hard and Phoenix had the makings of a competitive team last season, outscoring opponents by 0.5 points per 100 possessions in the 180 minutes Deandre Ayton, Devin Booker, Mikal Bridges, and Kelly Oubre Jr. played together, according to NBA Advanced Stats. Add reliable veterans Ricky Rubio and Dario Saric to that group and the Suns could leap out of the West cellar.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27388596/projected-w-l-records-standings-every-nba-team
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Sreister
Senior
And1: 316

Post#1976 » by Sreister » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:45 pm

DarkHawk wrote:What's this??? A compliment?

13. Phoenix Suns
Average wins: 38.0
Playoffs: 22%

Having won only 19 games last season, the Suns are forecast for the biggest improvement in the league this season. Squint hard and Phoenix had the makings of a competitive team last season, outscoring opponents by 0.5 points per 100 possessions in the 180 minutes Deandre Ayton, Devin Booker, Mikal Bridges, and Kelly Oubre Jr. played together, according to NBA Advanced Stats. Add reliable veterans Ricky Rubio and Dario Saric to that group and the Suns could leap out of the West cellar.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27388596/projected-w-l-records-standings-every-nba-team

That's funny because I just saw a similar article listing the top teams to overshoot their over under and we didn't even make that list of like 6 teams. And this one says we'll make the biggest jump.

I was looking forward to the start of last season, but man we can't still be bad this year.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#1977 » by LukasBMW » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:20 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:I think what scares me most about this is the fact that our FO felt Rozier was a better option than Rubio...

Read on Twitter

The evening before NBA teams spent more than $3 billion in free-agent contracts in just over 24 hours, Rozier found himself with friends celebrating an impending move to the Knicks. He had decided to bet on himself on a one-year deal. We're about to turn New York up, his friends cheered. "A night before free agency, I was a Knick," Rozier said.

He spent much of the night imagining what it would be like to light up Madison Square Garden. He woke up to a call at around 4 a.m. Phoenix had offered a contract. A bigger, better one. We gonna have to take that one, he thought.

The Charlotte Hornets beckoned later that day. Rozier remained inclined to accept Phoenix's bid. That was when, Rozier said, Michael Jordan, the Hornets' principal owner, intervened. "Mike was overseas, and I can just picture him probably having a cigar in his mouth and the words he told Mitch [Kupchak], the GM, was like: 'Get him over here. Do what you need to do to get him over here.'"

Rozier was sold. "I'd be a fool if I was to go anywhere else or turn down that," he said. "I look at it as just a team, organization believing in me. Knowing that I want to prove myself in this league and giving me that chance is bigger than anything and [their willingness] to pay me a right amount of money, it was just big and the guy that was behind all that was Michael Jordan. It's still surreal to me."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2849414-you-dont-know-terrys-scary?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Thats so **** up...Honestly thinking about Terry in a suns uniform for three years makes me sick... cant believe we were that close.

Suns fans would have been like this:

Cant believe we were that close to taking a bullet and ended up dodging it. Thank god for Rubio our lord and savior.

If u go over and read the hornets board they are not happy at all...But tbh what fan base would be?

This just shows that our front office has no creativity or ability to think outside of the box. Of course we were going to overpay to get a guy like Rubio or Rozier.

Meanwhile Indiana gets creative, takes a risk, and overpays a bit but still snags an underrated PG that might really blossom with more usage.

Indiana did something that Colangelo (or even McDonough) would have done. Sarver and JJ did what idiots do...they were part of a bidding war.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,632

Post#1978 » by Saberestar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:10 pm

Read on Twitter
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,092

Post#1979 » by Frank Lee » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:21 pm

Blonde wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Blonde wrote:Either because they wanted to keep a pretty cap sheet or due to character issues. Neither of which is good reasoning in this particular case.

We went through the scenarios a thousand times in June and no, Oubre would not need to be released. Just Josh and Tyler (who will be gone next year anyway). And there was zero chance that the offer would be matched, as we saw play out. They had their all stars lined up to sign. And you can’t match a contract and then flip it in a sign and trade to a different team.

What’s done is done though. I wouldn’t be rehashing all this if there was anything relevant going on right now.

DLo : man, this is gonna be an exciting free agency period

Agent : Yes, we are already getting a lot of interest

DLo : Fill me in

Agent : Lets see.... The Suns, the Knicks, the Magic, the Hornets

DLo : What? No LA ?

Agent : oh wait... the Warriors are on the line with a near max

DLo : Huh ??? Lets sign MoEffer, lets sign

Really... what makes anyone think that DLo was ever coming here? The Bromance? It is, BTW, his choice, not ours. It could have been a simple as his agent politley rebuffing our interest, IF we even had it.
What ? Me Worry ?
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#1980 » by Crives » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:58 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ratings down across the board from the end of last season... I guess our overall team score was looking too good after this offseason.

Ridiculous that guys like hunter and Culver are 2 pts higher then Bridges.

Return to Phoenix Suns