ImageImageImage

Which 2019 Offseason Newcomer Are You Most Excited For?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:18 am

Options Are...
Curry
Boban
Delon
Roby
Reaves
Cleveland
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Re: Which 2019 Offseason Newcomer Are You Most Excited For? 

Post#2 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:19 am

I'm picking Delon on this one.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#3 » by Darren » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 am

Boban will change the gravity on the floor. Most underrated bench big for the Mavs all time. I expect RC to initiate offense through Boban a lot for the second unit. The second most impressive contributor must be Curry. I am not so sure about Wright, though. Potentially, the ability to take open 3s could determine the contribution. If Wright fails on either end, Curry must be sure-fire starter to me.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#4 » by dirkforpres » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Delon Wright. He’s going to be expected to play 30 minutes and his April last season was fantastic. He could be the steal of the offseason if he plays anywhere close to that level
FIRE JASON KIDD
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#5 » by SOUNDCHASER » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:23 pm

All 3 should see time as starters and I am of the opinion they are all starter quality when on the floor so why not just play them with the dynamic duo and get it over with.

Imagine how tough our 2nd team is with Jackson THJ Brunson Kleber and Powell. Heck with Barea, DFS, Ryan, Roby and Reaves on the third team we are deeper than most teams and that just means we have assets to make a decent trade happen.

Still need more depth at the 4 and 5
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:50 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Delon Wright. He’s going to be expected to play 30 minutes and his April last season was fantastic. He could be the steal of the offseason if he plays anywhere close to that level

I think he'll improve his 3 ball too. I don't expect him to get as many assists as he did during his short time with Memphis, but if he can shoot and attack the basket decently well, then he'll be fine. I liked how he was able to consistently find Holiday for 3s during his time in Memphis too.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:52 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:All 3 should see time as starters and I am of the opinion they are all starter quality when on the floor so why not just play them with the dynamic duo and get it over with.

Imagine how tough our 2nd team is with Jackson THJ Brunson Kleber and Powell. Heck with Barea, DFS, Ryan, Roby and Reaves on the third team we are deeper than most teams and that just means we have assets to make a decent trade happen.

Still need more depth at the 4 and 5

They can be starter quality for sure, but I bet Curry and Boban will come off the bench. Curry could start after a few games if Jackson/DFS/THJ isn't working out, but I think Jackson will be fine as a starter.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#8 » by JamesConway » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Seth, Delon and Boban are bench guys or situational fringe starters at best. Made no sense Imo to blow that much money on them and the same goes for the Powell/Kleber deals. Still such an underwhelming offseason, outside of Boban any of those contracts can quite easily come back to haunt us (thankfully they aren't in the range of the horrendous Barnes/Matthews-deals though)

I'm not overly excited about any of the FAs we've added. Luka and KP will be the heart of the team, the rest is a group of outcasts once again with limited upside. Even Delon is 27 already and has been around for a while.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#9 » by arkuo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:58 pm

Delon Wright.

He's the Michael Finley in this new triumvirate. On a good day he moves like Penny Hardaway did in his rookie year. The downside is he has had like 3 good days in a whole season last year. So there's that. If playing with KP and Luka can unlock more room to grow then the Mavs may have signed a good one, on an affordable deal too.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#10 » by Teffer10 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Must admit of those on the list I'm most excited about Reaves.
We pretty much know what the others can bring but Reaves has the tools to be a decent player someday.
The question is does he have the mental capacity to develop and mature into a great player.

Roby is intriguing too but just don't see the upside that I see in Reaves.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:35 pm

JamesConway wrote:Seth, Delon and Boban are bench guys or situational fringe starters at best. Made no sense Imo to blow that much money on them and the same goes for the Powell/Kleber deals. Still such an underwhelming offseason, outside of Boban any of those contracts can quite easily come back to haunt us (thankfully they aren't in the range of the horrendous Barnes/Matthews-deals though)

I'm not overly excited about any of the FAs we've added. Luka and KP will be the heart of the team, the rest is a group of outcasts once again with limited upside. Even Delon is 27 already and has been around for a while.

Julius Randle would have been dope.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#12 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:14 am

Based on the past production DeLon is the best all around but Boban is a great rebounder with efficiency and unstoppable offense and Seth is a top 3 point shooter in the league. All three could be steals if RC gets them to produce at a decent enough level. The bench is strong enough to give us an advantage with superior depth and that means we could see the team winning enough to get into the playoffs.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:30 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Based on the past production DeLon is the best all around but Boban is a great rebounder with efficiency and unstoppable offense and Seth is a top 3 point shooter in the league. All three could be steals if RC gets them to produce at a decent enough level. The bench is strong enough to give us an advantage with superior depth and that means we could see the team winning enough to get into the playoffs.

Yeah, the team is underrated right now. I'd really like another starter to emerge as the #3 though, but then again, the #3 spot was fluid for the Raptors this year and it was kinda fluid during the Mavs' 2011 title run. Perhaps the team is better off by not having a set #3 behind KP and Luka.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#14 » by bobsquad » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 am

For this season, Curry. Not surprised no one has mentioned him, I know he's a known commodity, but I think this is the first time in his career that he'll be in a position to be featured AND in an interesting offense. You don't expect a player his age to take a step forward, but if he can develop as a playmaker at all then it wouldn't be surprising to see him start and finish games... and look on stat lines like the "3rd option" we keep speculating about.
chokingmav
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#15 » by chokingmav » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:23 pm

It's got to be Delon. His ability to be a lock down perimeter defender and secondary ball handler will go a long way determining how successful this team can be. Seth is what he is....a 3pt sharpshooter. That is literally all he provides. His poor defense and limited playmaking makes it hard to play him extended minutes. Boban is a situational player. I really can't see him playing more than 10 or 12 minutes a game.

Return to Dallas Mavericks