zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#221 » by zzaj » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:38 pm

Oden2 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
zzaj wrote:
It should give you a jolt. This was an extremely important summer for Collins’ development. Having him on crutches is a major blow and should be bigger news than it is.

I wonder - if healthy - if Pau could still do like a 10 and 7 average as a pinch starter like he was in SA. I'll be curious to see just how much he has left in the tank and if last season is the new norm for him or if he can be that semi effective old vet like he was for the Spurs and last season was just an aberration.

Pau has regressed pretty heavily in the last 2 seasons as age finally caught up to him. I think if we got almost a full season and 15 mpg/ production in that time he will have done his job.

It's part of the reason I would have much preferred Noah as the backup. He had some great games in Feb and March including a 19/14/3 game, a 22/11/3 game, a 9/10/7 game. Shoot, there was a stretch of about 15 games where he averaged 12/8/3.5/1...

I think there is just about a zero percent chance Pau is capable of that anymore. I do wonder if there are some "extracurriculars" with Joakim Noah that are keeping teams away.
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#222 » by soobias » Sat Aug 3, 2019 1:59 am

i know our roster full now, but how come we didnt go after shawn livingston ? or did we ?
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#223 » by Village Idiot » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:50 pm

zzaj wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
I wonder - if healthy - if Pau could still do like a 10 and 7 average as a pinch starter like he was in SA. I'll be curious to see just how much he has left in the tank and if last season is the new norm for him or if he can be that semi effective old vet like he was for the Spurs and last season was just an aberration.

Pau has regressed pretty heavily in the last 2 seasons as age finally caught up to him. I think if we got almost a full season and 15 mpg/ production in that time he will have done his job.

It's part of the reason I would have much preferred Noah as the backup. He had some great games in Feb and March including a 19/14/3 game, a 22/11/3 game, a 9/10/7 game. Shoot, there was a stretch of about 15 games where he averaged 12/8/3.5/1...

I think there is just about a zero percent chance Pau is capable of that anymore. I do wonder if there are some "extracurriculars" with Joakim Noah that are keeping teams away.
You means besides the marijuana issue and being a dick in general? I too would have preferred Noah to Gasol but Pau is a much more likable guy and the kind of person who is a natural as a coach. Pau is cerebral, Noah is all passion and hard work. I think Gasol is being brought in as much to be a big man coach as a player. Nurk, Collins, Skal and even Whiteside (if he's willing to be coached) could benefit from learning from one of the most skilled bigs the past 25 years.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,436

Post#224 » by Pattycakes » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:38 pm

I personally would love to see us pick up Amare, he looks really good still health wise and skills were never an issue.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#225 » by Case2012 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:11 pm

Melo> Hoard
Instagram: @casetwelve
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#226 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:17 am

Lillard and McCollum reached out, publicly, to Anthony before. If he wants to play for Portland, he has a phone. He'd be a strong addition for the minimum. With that said, I've never liked his play or persona. If the Blazers players were good with his arrival, I'd get over seeing him in a Blazers uniform.

He should go where he wants and for who wants him. And if he does find his team, he should shoot down any ideas of a 'farewell tour.' Play ball and try to win a ring.

The Blazers have locker #15 waiting for a 'cast off' player of quality later this season ... or a 1 for 2 deal involving HWEC or KBEC.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#227 » by Sinobas » Sun Aug 4, 2019 12:53 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:Lillard and McCollum reached out, publicly, to Anthony before. If he wants to play for Portland, he has a phone. He'd be a strong addition for the minimum. With that said, I've never liked his play or persona. If the Blazers players were good with his arrival, I'd get over seeing him in a Blazers uniform.

He should go where he wants and for who wants him. And if he does find his team, he should shoot down any ideas of a 'farewell tour.' Play ball and try to win a ring.

The Blazers have locker #15 waiting for a 'cast off' player of quality later this season ... or a 1 for 2 deal involving HWEC or KBEC.

Do they? We currently have 15 players.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#228 » by Fitz303 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:11 pm

Sinobas wrote:
HoopsFanAZ wrote:Lillard and McCollum reached out, publicly, to Anthony before. If he wants to play for Portland, he has a phone. He'd be a strong addition for the minimum. With that said, I've never liked his play or persona. If the Blazers players were good with his arrival, I'd get over seeing him in a Blazers uniform.

Do they? We currently have 15 players.

Hoard is a 2 way contract. He doesnt count against the 15 man roster. Portland could still add another player. However, Olshey said he going into the season with 14, so it looks like the roster is set
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#229 » by PDXKnight » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:57 am

Case2012 wrote:Melo> Hoard

Talent yes, wins I don’t know as melo tends to produce losses more than wins
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#230 » by Matt800 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:51 am

It would be pretty entertaining if melo signed with por and played amazing as a bench role after being criticised so much. Especially if an ancient Melo and Gasol were big parts of a championship run. There's just a lot of evidence that he doesn't have what it'd take-- passable defense and good 3 point shooting.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,436

Post#231 » by Pattycakes » Fri Aug 9, 2019 6:28 am

Melo as a first option had a short run of meaningful years, Melo as a 2nd option was nonexistent. Melo as a third option was all time bad, how anyone possibly thinks being a 4th/5th/6th option is gonna do anything for a guy who kills the flow of team basketball completely blows my mind. Melo gets an unfair amount of hate based on how irrelevant he is, but to even entertain the possibility he offers net positives to a winning basketball program next year is not educated basketball opinion. It’s scary how farfetched of a reality that is.
tacos
Senior
And1: 383

Post#232 » by tacos » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:36 am

Pattycakes wrote:Melo as a first option had a short run of meaningful years, Melo as a 2nd option was nonexistent. Melo as a third option was all time bad, how anyone possibly thinks being a 4th/5th/6th option is gonna do anything for a guy who kills the flow of team basketball completely blows my mind. Melo gets an unfair amount of hate based on how irrelevant he is, but to even entertain the possibility he offers net positives to a winning basketball program next year is not educated basketball opinion. It’s scary how farfetched of a reality that is.

He just needs to get his cornrows back... As a Blazer fan I'm sure you understand the effect hairstyle and facial hair can have on basketball
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#233 » by d-train » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Another Cousins knee injury. I think we are starting to see some evidence of problems that give explanation to the difficulty Cousins has had in free agency.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,935

Post#234 » by DusterBuster » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:30 pm

d-train wrote:Another Cousins knee injury. I think we are starting to see some evidence of problems that give explanation to the difficulty Cousins has had in free agency.

Yep, I suspect teams supposed apprehension to sign him had far less to do with his personality and more their rapidly confirming belief that he's at a point in his career where his body just won't be able to handle the rigors of an NBA season anymore.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#235 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:41 pm

You means besides the marijuana issue and being a dick in general? I too would have preferred Noah to Gasol but Pau is a much more likable guy and the kind of person who is a natural as a coach. Pau is cerebral, Noah is all passion and hard work. I think Gasol is being brought in as much to be a big man coach as a player. Nurk, Collins, Skal and even Whiteside (if he's willing to be coached) could benefit from learning from one of the most skilled bigs the past 25 years.

All the reports that I heard from Noah last season indicated he matured and accepted that playing in a small market was best for him. He then went on to produce elite backup raw and advanced statistics. Something must have happened between then and now. If he was still the same reformed guy that he was while playing in Memphis, he would have a home. It has to be something.

I agree that Pau is a much better mentor/coach, but this team is shallow enough at C that we may need to rely on him and that's scary. I think its a indication that NO doesn't just believe that Zach is ready, but that Skal can contribute if needed at C. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Skal got minutes over Pau at C.

On another note, somewhat OT, what are your expectations in terms of raw stats for the new guys and rookie contract guys? Mine:

CG Anferne Simons - 18mpg, 9.5ppg, 2apg, 1rpg, 45%FG, 37% 3PT - 1.5 3PM per game, 0.5spg
G/F Kent Bazemore - 28mpg, 12ppg, 2apg, 4rpg, 42% FG, 37% 3PT - 1.5 3PM per game, 1.5spg
G/F Gary Trent Jr - Negligible PT
F Nassir Little - Negligible PT
F Mario Herzonja - 18mpg, 7ppg, 1.5apg, 3rpg, 42% FG, 34% 3PT - 0.8 3PM per game, 0.5spg
F Anthony Tolliver - Negligible PT
F/C Zach Collins - 28mpg, 11ppg, 1.5apg, 6r.5pg, 50% FG, 37% 3PT - 1.0 3PM per game, 0.8spg, 1.5bpg
C Hassan Whiteside - 28mpg, 14ppg, 1apg, 14rpg, 58% FG, 0.5spg, 2bpg
C Pau Gasol - Negligible PT
C Skal Labissiere - 12mpg, 5ppg, 0.5apg, 3.5rpg, 45% FG, 0.5spg, 0.5bpg

Pretty nuts that all the above are rookie contract or new acquisitions.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#236 » by DusterBuster » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Prevailing thought on Boogie was a bone bruise which has turned into now a torn ACL.... I think we're close to seeing the end of Cousin's career.
d-train
RealGM

Post#237 » by d-train » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:10 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:On another note, somewhat OT, what are your expectations in terms of raw stats for the new guys and rookie contract guys? Mine:

CG Anferne Simons - 18mpg, 9.5ppg, 2apg, 1rpg, 45%FG, 37% 3PT - 1.5 3PM per game, 0.5spg
G/F Kent Bazemore - 28mpg, 12ppg, 2apg, 4rpg, 42% FG, 37% 3PT - 1.5 3PM per game, 1.5spg
G/F Gary Trent Jr - Negligible PT
F Nassir Little - Negligible PT
F Mario Herzonja - 18mpg, 7ppg, 1.5apg, 3rpg, 42% FG, 34% 3PT - 0.8 3PM per game, 0.5spg
F Anthony Tolliver - Negligible PT
F/C Zach Collins - 28mpg, 11ppg, 1.5apg, 6r.5pg, 50% FG, 37% 3PT - 1.0 3PM per game, 0.8spg, 1.5bpg
C Hassan Whiteside - 28mpg, 14ppg, 1apg, 14rpg, 58% FG, 0.5spg, 2bpg
C Pau Gasol - Negligible PT
C Skal Labissiere - 12mpg, 5ppg, 0.5apg, 3.5rpg, 45% FG, 0.5spg, 0.5bpg

Pretty nuts that all the above are rookie contract or new acquisitions.

My biggest difference is your negligible PT for Tolliver. I expect Tolliver to be either rotation or fringe rotation player. I don't know what Skal's role will be, but Olshey and Stotts have a record of giving players in their contract year a chance. Personally, I would be surprised if Skal's minutes are as much as Tolliver's. I also have no clue what to expect from Simons. I would love it if there is something to the recent hype.
d-train
RealGM

Post#238 » by d-train » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:14 pm

DusterBuster wrote:Prevailing thought on Boogie was a bone bruise which has turned into now a torn ACL.... I think we're close to seeing the end of Cousin's career.

We know from the Durant and Thompson signings that teams are willing to take chances. So, there has to be something about Boogie's condition other than what we hear. I don't know if his career is over, but there must be some serious questions.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#239 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:19 pm

My biggest difference is your negligible PT for Tolliver. I expect Tolliver to be either rotation or fringe rotation player.

Ya, it may just be my meritless like of Mario but I am hoping that he can secure the backup PF minutes that Tolliver otherwise would take. Maybe Tolliver can be our small ball C when Hassan is out and spread the floor a bit? I have little faith in Skal, and actually would probably prefer Tolliver as the backup C, providing a unique compliment to the totally opposite skillset that Hassan provides.

If Anthony is seen as a viable rotation guy at C, I could see the below rotation:

PG - Damian Lillard (34) / Anferne Simons (14)
SG - CJ McCollum (34) / Rodney Hood (10) / Anferne Simons (4)
SF - Kent Bazemore (28) / Rodney Hood (20)
PF - Zach Collins (20) / Mario Herzonja (18) / Anthony Tolliver (10)
C - Hassan Whiteside (28) / Anthony Tolliver (12) / Zach Collins (8)

I suppose the 12mpg that Tolliver gets at C could be rotated w/ Pau and Skal depending on matchup. But as far as minutes go, I think the above is going to be close to what we see.

I do agree w/ dtrain that Tolliver is getting slept on, by myself included. If he can produce 17/18 numbers (22mpg, 9ppg, 2 3PM per game, elite shooting #'s) then we could be looking at a really valuable floor spacer.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#240 » by DusterBuster » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:18 pm

d-train wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Prevailing thought on Boogie was a bone bruise which has turned into now a torn ACL.... I think we're close to seeing the end of Cousin's career.

We know from the Durant and Thompson signings that teams are willing to take chances. So, there has to be something about Boogie's condition other than what we hear. I don't know if his career is over, but there must be some serious questions.

I think from here on out, he's gonna be a vet min guy for maybe one or two more years and that's about it.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers