Which non-contender is the most likely to make a major win-now move?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Re: Which non-contender is the most likely to make a major win-now move? 

Post#21 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:07 pm

Minnesota, I believe they're anxious to get back to the playoffs at least.

Cleveland wanted to compete for the playoffs last season and many Cavaliers fans would tell you they are competitive when Love is healthy. They would make a minor win now move.

The Wizards and Thunder would first in line to make major win now moves if any existed but that doesn't seem like it'll be the case this coming season.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#22 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:10 pm

In order to make a major move, you need assets to trade. That rules out Detroit, Miami and Dallas. Those teams may want to trade for a star, but they can't actually do so, except maybe for an overpaid, negative asset type of guy like Chris Paul or Kevin Love.

The Celtics are going to have a hard time because they don't have much in the way of salary ballast except Hayward. If Hayward continues to underwhelm, then he will be viewed as such a negative asset that his inclusion in a trade would limit the return. If Hayward regains his old form, then the Celtics won't want to trade him.

I think the team that has the highest possibility of trading for a legitimate All-Star in his prime (like Beal) is New Orleans. Minnesota might make a run at D'Angelo Russell, but that's not really a win-now move. They wouldn't contend immediately with Russell.

One of the contenders mentioned by the OP might make a trade for Gallinari, but he would only make sense on a team who could definitely win it all this year.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Post#23 » by DeathLineup » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:16 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
DeathLineup wrote:Basically, the non-contender that is most likely to make a move to acquire a bona fide star.

What's your guess?

I would say the contenders are Clippers, Bucks, Lakers, Sixers, Warriors, Rockets, Nuggets and Jazz. So those teams are out of this discussion.
Out of curiosity, what makes the Jazz a contender but not the Blazers? Are we pretending last season's playoffs didn't happen? I seem to remember the Blazers beating Denver without Nurkic too.

Jazz have the better roster compared to Blazers. As simple as that.

And don't get too proud about last year. Blazers beat Nuggets in a nail-biter series. The series could have gone either way. It's not like they were trashing the Nuggets.
#thevillain
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#24 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:24 pm

DeathLineup wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:
DeathLineup wrote:Basically, the non-contender that is most likely to make a move to acquire a bona fide star.

What's your guess?

I would say the contenders are Clippers, Bucks, Lakers, Sixers, Warriors, Rockets, Nuggets and Jazz. So those teams are out of this discussion.
Out of curiosity, what makes the Jazz a contender but not the Blazers? Are we pretending last season's playoffs didn't happen? I seem to remember the Blazers beating Denver without Nurkic too.

Jazz have the better roster compared to Blazers. As simple as that.

And don't get too proud about last year. Blazers beat Nuggets in a nail-biter series. The series could have gone either way. It's not like they were trashing the Nuggets.

Nuggets were not missing their starting center. Blazers are routinely disrespected. Last year it was widely thought we would miss the playoffs, instead we make the WCF. 538 is even still predicting the Blazers to miss the playoffs this year!

Blazers will be right there with Jazz and Nuggets. A few games at most will separate the three at the top of the NW divison, which probably comes down to health more than anything. If you wanna predict Blazers as third because we will miss Nurkic most of the season that's fair but come playoffs Blazers are as dangerous as either of those teams.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#25 » by NYG » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:43 pm

nate33 wrote:In order to make a major move, you need assets to trade. That rules out Detroit, Miami and Dallas. Those teams may want to trade for a star, but they can't actually do so, except maybe for an overpaid, negative asset type of guy like Chris Paul or Kevin Love.

The Celtics are going to have a hard time because they don't have much in the way of salary ballast except Hayward. If Hayward continues to underwhelm, then he will be viewed as such a negative asset that his inclusion in a trade would limit the return. If Hayward regains his old form, then the Celtics won't want to trade him.

I think the team that has the highest possibility of trading for a legitimate All-Star in his prime (like Beal) is New Orleans. Minnesota might make a run at D'Angelo Russell, but that's not really a win-now move. They wouldn't contend immediately with Russell.

One of the contenders mentioned by the OP might make a trade for Gallinari, but he would only make sense on a team who could definitely win it all this year.

Why not Detroit? I get ruling out teams like Miami and Dallas with not many picks, but the Pistons have all of theirs. I could see Dembouya and Kennard with Snell + Langston and future unprotected picks for Beal if they’re in the top 5 in a weak East around the trade deadline.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#26 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:45 pm

NYG wrote:
nate33 wrote:In order to make a major move, you need assets to trade. That rules out Detroit, Miami and Dallas. Those teams may want to trade for a star, but they can't actually do so, except maybe for an overpaid, negative asset type of guy like Chris Paul or Kevin Love.

Why not Detroit? I get ruling out teams like Miami and Dallas with not many picks, but the Pistons have all of theirs. I could see Dembouya and Kennard with Snell + Langston and future unprotected picks for Beal if they’re in the top 5 in a weak East around the trade deadline.

Detroit, with Beal and Griffin will be a sure playoff team for the next few years and won't be in the lottery.. The Wizards aren't trading Beal for Dembouyou and a couple of non-lotto picks.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,461

Post#27 » by Chinook » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:53 pm

I think it depends on what counts as a win-now move. Is it only an All-Star type like Beal? Does trading for DeRozan, Aldridge or Love count? What about Covington or Porter?

In any of these cases, I don't think it'll just be sure-fire contenders going for the deals. Until 12/15, most of the contenders won't have access to a lot of their best trade pieces.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#28 » by meekrab » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:19 am

It's always safe to bet on NYK to make a win-now move.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by DeathLineup » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:28 am

Chinook wrote:I think it depends on what counts as a win-now move. Is it only an All-Star type like Beal? Does trading for DeRozan, Aldridge or Love count? What about Covington or Porter?

In any of these cases, I don't think it'll just be sure-fire contenders going for the deals. Until 12/15, most of the contenders won't have access to a lot of their best trade pieces.

I would say getting DeRozan, Aldridge or Love counts as a major win-now move. Those players are legit stars.

Meanwhile getting Covington or Porter? I don't think so. They cleary are just good/great role players.
#thevillain
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#30 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:01 am

What's your guess?

I could see several teams making a push including Pistons, Heat, Mavs, Blazers, Nets, Spurs and Wizards.

In terms of the most likely, its probably between, Pistons, Heat and Mavs.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#31 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:03 am

I think Minnesota could trade for D'Angelo Russell.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by DeathLineup » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:53 am

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:

What's your guess?

I could see several teams making a push including Pistons, Heat, Mavs, Blazers, Nets, Spurs and Wizards.

I'm convinced that Mavs don't have the assets to get a legit star. They have surrendered a lot to acquire Doncic and Porzingis.

I don't think Pistons would acquire a star. They have some assets but I don't think it's enough. Meanwhile, I do agree that Heat seem likely to make a splurge for a star. They don't have a great collection of assets, but Riley got the balls to trade for a star. He gives the impression that he is open to overpay for a star.
#thevillain
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#33 » by E S V L » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:40 pm

Memphis will surprise many
FK NFL
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#34 » by DanishLakerFan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:31 am

DeathLineup wrote:
IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:

What's your guess?

I'm convinced that Mavs don't have the assets to get a legit star. They have surrendered a lot to acquire Doncic and Porzingis.

I don't think Pistons would acquire a star. They have some assets but I don't think it's enough. Meanwhile, I do agree that Heat seem likely to make a splurge for a star. They don't have a great collection of assets, but Riley got the balls to trade for a star. He gives the impression that he is open to overpay for a star.

Well, i guess that depends on what you consider a legit star. Clearly it'll be tough to trade for a high-end star, but they could chase some of the 2nd tier stars. I'm thinking Kyle Lowry, Blake Griffin, Drummond, Jrue Holiday etc., which i think the Mavs might be able to pull off.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by DeathLineup » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:20 am

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:
DeathLineup wrote:
IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:

Well, i guess that depends on what you consider a legit star. Clearly it'll be tough to trade for a high-end star, but they could chase some of the 2nd tier stars. I'm thinking Kyle Lowry, Blake Griffin, Drummond, Jrue Holiday etc., which i think the Mavs might be able to pull off.

I can't see the Mavs getting any of those B-level stars you mentioned.

Seriously. The earliest first round pick they can trade is in 2025. And none of their players have very good trade value except for Doncic. Maybe Porzingis have a pretty good value, maybe. Are they going to trade Doncic or Porzingis? No. So yeah, I don't think the Mavs have the ammo to get a star.
#thevillain
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#36 » by andyhop » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:25 am

DoItALL9 wrote:Minnesota, I believe they're anxious to get back to the playoffs at least.

The Wolves spent the off season getting dramatically younger and the most likely move is a win later swap of Covington for Russell
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#37 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:11 pm

andyhop wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:Minnesota, I believe they're anxious to get back to the playoffs at least.

The Wolves spent the off season getting dramatically younger and the most likely move is a win later swap of Covington for Russell

Younger and better short term and long-term I suspect

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
Jack Dempsey
Pro Prospect
And1: 509

Post#38 » by Jack Dempsey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Crives wrote:I Feel like Indiana will be a contender if Oladipo comes back strong.

Possibly, but hard to say. Oladipo isn’t likely back in 2019, so we’d have maybe less than a month to the deadline, we already owe a 1st due to the Brogdon deal, and it’s hard to see where we have the ability to make a move. In terms of trade value, it’s likely just Sabonis able to get back value for a big splash? Then, how doe we match salaries if it’s a bigger deal? Doug and Dom can only match salaries up to about $15m. Add in Warren, and we’re closer to matching salaries, but desperately would need a PF and also be weakened on the wing quite a bit too.

I could see us making a small SF for PF type deal involving either of Warren or McDermott to balance a bit, but if we move Dom, we definitely need someone back that can play a ton of PF minutes.

Indiana was the first team that came to my mind either. With a healthy Oladipo and an improved Turner and Sabonis, you guys could make some serious noise next season. The piece they're missing doesn't even have to be a Superstar imo. A guy like RoCo would look great in a Pacers jersey. Not sure what I'd be willing to give up though.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,440

Post#39 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:30 pm

E S V L wrote:Memphis will surprise many

I agree.

They may beat the 2012 Charlotte Bobcats record.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#40 » by pacers33granger » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:23 am

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
E S V L wrote:Memphis will surprise many

I agree.

They may beat the 2012 Charlotte Bobcats record.

Memphis will probably be better than the general consensus. I'd expect their pick to again be in the 5-8 range where some seem to have them as bottom of the league.

The 2019 Hornets will have a tough time beating the 2012 Bobcats though if injuries hit again.

Return to Trades and Transactions