Image ImageImage Image

I am curious, who's going to guard the Drummond, Embid and Cousins of the world?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Re: I am curious, who's going to guard the Drummond, Embid and Cousins of the world? 

Post#21 » by Indomitable » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:26 am

Mark K wrote:We forget what Wendell was doing because it was so long ago.

I can't be assed (because I've forgotten how to do it) posting an image of his game log, but under Hoiberg, Wendell had a stretch of games that were damn impressive. Have a look at the game log. Under Boylen, who totally misused Carter, he didn't have a massive game like he did on several occasions under Hoiberg.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cartewe01/gamelog/2019/

Game 6-16, he was putting up double figure scoring numbers, grabbing rebounds, doing everything on the floor. And he was doing that while playing in some pretty horrible lineups with no support defensively as a 19-year-old.

I know I keep harping on about it and it's probably nauseating at this point but I'm not sure I've believed in a Bulls prospect this much since Rose. Even before Rose, going back to the Baby Bulls days, more so than Kirk, Lu and BG, I'm higher on Carter than I was those guys.

I hope I'm not wrong here, but I think the Bulls have themselves a special talent. Maybe not one who's good enough to be a focal point of a franchise, but certainly one who should spend the next 10+ years of his career being one of the smartest and complete players in the league.

I believe most in him and Lavine.
:banghead:
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Re: I am curious, who's going to guard the Drummond, Embid and Cousins of the world? 

Post#22 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:32 am

Recency bias knocked the **** out of Wendell Carter this offseason.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#23 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:00 am

Red Larrivee wrote:Recency bias knocked the **** out of Wendell Carter this offseason.

Yep. As long as the refs stop giving him the rookie treatment, he should be that much more effective this upcoming season.

I'm just hoping that he is ready and healthy by training camp, because I'm expecting big things from him this upcoming season.

I want to see the frontcourt of WCJ and Lauri to dominate and they have the potential to.
Why so serious?
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,578

Post#24 » by DuckIII » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:29 am

This is so incredibly far down my list of concerns. Strike that. I just double checked my list and it’s not even on there at all.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#25 » by TeamMan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:34 am

Wendell Carter Jr Full Highlights 2018.11.30 vs Pistons - 28 Pts, 7 Rebs, 3 Blks! | FreeDawkins

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#26 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:47 am

I can't be assed (because I've forgotten how to do it) posting an image of his game log, but under Hoiberg, Wendell had a stretch of games that were damn impressive. Have a look at the game log. Under Boylen, who totally misused Carter, he didn't have a massive game like he did on several occasions under Hoiberg.

Game 6-16, he was putting up double figure scoring numbers, grabbing rebounds, doing everything on the floor. And he was doing that while playing in some pretty horrible lineups with no support defensively as a 19-year-old.

I know I keep harping on about it and it's probably nauseating at this point but I'm not sure I've believed in a Bulls prospect this much since Rose. Even before Rose, going back to the Baby Bulls days, more so than Kirk, Lu and BG, I'm higher on Carter than I was those guys.

I hope I'm not wrong here, but I think the Bulls have themselves a special talent. Maybe not one who's good enough to be a focal point of a franchise, but certainly one who should spend the next 10+ years of his career being one of the smartest and complete players in the league.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cartewe01/gamelog/2019#6-16-sum:pgl_basic

Can't do an image on my phone, but here is the link that take his averages from 6-16.

That's about 17pts and 11 rebs per 36 mins. Plus 2.6 blks and 1.3 stls. He really was getting into a groove and getting comfortable in the pnr and pick and pop game too. Boylen taking over set him back a and he seemed lost, but did have couple of nice games before ge got hurt.

Hopefully we'll see him get utilized a lot better next year with Chris Fleming joining the bench.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#27 » by NDave79 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:56 am

I just took a trip down WCJ memory lane with a bunch of youtube clips and a few things stand out.

First, he looks like a puppy out there. Like a huge, one year old St. Bernard/rottweiler mix. He doesn't even look really big yet, but he weighed in at over 250 at the combine and that was after losing weight.

Secondly, he has a fluidity and coordination that is rare for someone his size. IMO, he is so smooth you get tricked into underestimating his athleticism if that makes any sense.

Finally, his skill set and IQ for a 19 year old center with elite defensive potential is off the charts imo.

I'm not basing this off watching some Youtube highlights, but it just reminded me how special I think he can be.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,648

Post#28 » by sco » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:32 pm

160 BBIQ adds 3 inches to WCj!

Luke can put pressure on them by hitting some 3's while also having decent rim protection.
:clap:
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,578

Post#29 » by DuckIII » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 pm

I think within a couple of years we will have the best front court in the NBA. And if not the absolute best, one so close to the best that it will be a near wash. I’ve said this many times, but I consider Lauri and WCJ to be about as perfect a pairing as you are going to get in the “modern” NBA (which admittedly I consider an over-stated concept).

I am a huge believer in Lauri and WCJ. I’m higher on Lavine than the board’s generally negative view of him, but I still have some big questions. I’m high on OPJ but realize he may not be a long term player here. And I’m not sold on anything else even a tiny bit. So lots must be shown for me to believe in the expanded core.

But I’m absolutely sold on our front court. It’s a miracle return on back to back 7th picks.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#30 » by Ferulci » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:52 pm

I"m not worried about Drummond or Cousins. In fact, the more they shoot, the happier I am.
Embiid, if healthy will feast on us, but he's crushing about 27 other teams so we'll have to live with it.
I'm more worried about someone like Giannis, Durant when he gets back (even at 80%, he's still a Top 15 player in the league) or Kyrie.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#31 » by donaldtrump_00 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:19 pm

Daniel gafford. he going to guard the big names. carter cant do it alone. theres going to be nights where hes asked to do his best and I got an idea he will flourish.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#32 » by donaldtrump_00 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Ferulci wrote:I"m not worried about Drummond or Cousins. In fact, the more they shoot, the happier I am.
Embiid, if healthy will feast on us, but he's crushing about 27 other teams so we'll have to live with it.
I'm more worried about someone like Giannis, Durant when he gets back (even at 80%, he's still a Top 15 player in the league) or Kyrie.

giannis,kd, and kyrie will destroy anyone reguardless it doesn't matter. its more about who on our roster will attack them back. of course we know lavine will. maybe dunn if hes still here, he got heart. we gotta see how lauri responds to being a legit go to guy. im very courious to find out. and also want to see what carter has on both sides of the ball/court. we know porter is going to play smart and we hopefully do well. sometimes we overate players on how good they really are. we have enough players to take turns at each one of them.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#33 » by kingkirk » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:12 am

DuckIII wrote:I think within a couple of years we will have the best front court in the NBA. And if not the absolute best, one so close to the best that it will be a near wash. I’ve said this many times, but I consider Lauri and WCJ to be about as perfect a pairing as you are going to get in the “modern” NBA (which admittedly I consider an over-stated concept).

I am a huge believer in Lauri and WCJ. I’m higher on Lavine than the board’s generally negative view of him, but I still have some big questions. I’m high on OPJ but realize he may not be a long term player here. And I’m not sold on anything else even a tiny bit. So lots must be shown for me to believe in the expanded core.

But I’m absolutely sold on our front court. It’s a miracle return on back to back 7th picks.

Show me to the nearest brick wall because I’m prepared to run through it for you after reading this.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,350

Post#34 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:12 am

Ferulci wrote:I"m not worried about Drummond or Cousins. In fact, the more they shoot, the happier I am.

It Embiid is healthy and in shape, no one can stop him, so I am not worried about that. It is just want it is. Top teams have crazy tough matchups. You overcome them if you are the better team. Not worried about our front court at all.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,774

Post#35 » by NZB2323 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:47 pm

DuckIII wrote:

I think within a couple of years we will have the best front court in the NBA. And if not the absolute best, one so close to the best that it will be a near wash. I’ve said this many times, but I consider Lauri and WCJ to be about as perfect a pairing as you are going to get in the “modern” NBA (which admittedly I consider an over-stated concept).

wow, I find that view to be incredibly optimistic. If by a couple of years you mean 3...Giannis will be 27 with a 30 year old Middleton, Jokic will be 26 with a 31 year old Will Barton and 27 year old Jerami Grant, Karl Anthony Towns will be 26 with a 26 year old Wiggins, Embiid will be 27 with a 29 year old Harris, New Orleans will have a 22 year old Zion with a 31 year old Favors and a 24 year old Brandon Ingram, and Kawhi will be 30 with a 31 year old Paul George. Anthony Davis at 28 and Lebron at 37 might still be plugging away.

I'm high on Lauri and MCJ also, but I don't think our front court will be as good as these teams listed above. If you mean more than 5 years it could be whatever teams win the lottery the upcoming years, or the Pelicans/Thunder with all the draft picks they have.

I guess Lauri and MCJ could suprise me, but there's a lot of superstar talent in frontcourts right now.
greenl
Starter
And1: 1,519

Post#36 » by greenl » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:47 pm

Why is anyone concerned with guarding Andre Drummond?
"Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children." - Bill Hicks
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#37 » by weneeda2guard » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:59 pm

I wish some posters would apply the same pressure to become a better defender on lauri as they do on lavine.

It's like poster love bringing up how poor lavine was on that side of the floor but conveniently forget the times lauri was completely destroyed on the defensive end of the floor.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#38 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:05 pm

weneeda2guard wrote:I wish some posters would apply the same pressure to become a better defender on lauri as they do on lavine.

It's like poster love bringing up how poor lavine was on that side of the floor but conveniently forget the times lauri was completely destroyed on the defensive end of the floor.

We do harp on Lauri's inconsistency on the defensive end all the time. It just so happens that WCJ is ahead of Lauri in that regard, and we feel that because of this, he is ahead of Lauri defensively and believe that he can anchor our defense. Doesn't mean we don't have expectations for Lauri to improve defensive, or offensively for that matter.
Why so serious?
Ugly Duckling
Veteran
And1: 1,538

Post#39 » by Ugly Duckling » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:10 am

That's my only concern with WCJ. He has All-Defense potential, but dude looks like a 4 out there
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#40 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:43 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:That's my only concern with WCJ. He has All-Defense potential, but dude looks like a 4 out there

How does he? Because he plays like a center. Unless you're talking about his height and general size.
Why so serious?

Return to Chicago Bulls