Jae Crowder to Houston

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Jae Crowder to Houston 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Houston cuts Bennett + an exhibit 10 player to make this work.

Houston trades: Iman Shumpert, 2021 HOU/PHI 2nd (Houston has swap rights), 2023 HOU 2nd
Memphis trades: Jae Crowder
Houston gets someone that can play 3/4, seems a bit more positionally useful for them than Shump. Memphis swaps Crowder for a younger player that they can still flip at the ASB to take on salary + ??? and picks up some seconds.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Re: Jae Crowder to Houston 

Post#2 » by SmokeyPaw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:46 pm

I've always liked Crowder so I'm not a fan of this for Mem, think he has more value than a 2nd 3 years from now.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,792

Post#3 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:56 pm

What about Shump and Nene SnT, 2020 1st, 2022 1st lotto prot if not then 2 2nds for Iggy, Crowder, Dillon Brooks?

Russ/Gordon/Rivers
Harden/Brooks/Green
Crowder/Iggy/House
Tucker/Clark
Capela/Chandler/Isaiah

Lots of positional flexibility that gives them really good wing defenders and a ton of depth. Could also make the 2nd 1st top 20 prot.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Post#4 » by psman2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:20 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:What about Shump and Nene SnT, 2020 1st, 2022 1st lotto prot if not then 2 2nds for Iggy, Crowder, Dillon Brooks?

Russ/Gordon/Rivers
Harden/Brooks/Green
Crowder/Iggy/House
Tucker/Clark
Capela/Chandler/Isaiah

Lots of positional flexibility that gives them really good wing defenders and a ton of depth. Could also make the 2nd 1st top 20 prot.

So you think Houston is going to give up 2 1sts to go 25 million over the lux cap. After the taxes and added salary it would cost Houston 90 million dollars this year to add Iggy, Crowder, and Brooks. I just cannot see that as a possibility.

Regardless I don't think any team is giving us a 1st for either Iggy or Crowder so I don't see how combining them nets us two 1sts from Houston or any team. Brooks is really only a 2nd round value sweetener unfortunately.

As for the OP I would do this deal if it is the best offer out there. However I wouldn't mind keeping Crowder for his versatility and vet presence.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#5 » by babyjax13 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:32 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:What about Shump and Nene SnT, 2020 1st, 2022 1st lotto prot if not then 2 2nds for Iggy, Crowder, Dillon Brooks?

Russ/Gordon/Rivers
Harden/Brooks/Green
Crowder/Iggy/House
Tucker/Clark
Capela/Chandler/Isaiah

They can't go over the apron in a sign and trade. I guess as a concept, if Memphis wants a pick/picks for Dillon Brooks, maybe that makes more sense. But, tbh, I expect Dillon Brooks to have a breakout year.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
psman2
General Manager

Post#6 » by psman2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:44 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

Russ/Gordon/Rivers
Harden/Brooks/Green
Crowder/Iggy/House
Tucker/Clark
Capela/Chandler/Isaiah

They can't go over the apron in a sign and trade. I guess as a concept, if Memphis wants a pick/picks for Dillon Brooks, maybe that makes more sense. But, tbh, I expect Dillon Brooks to have a breakout year.

The team receiving the SNT players is the one that is restricted. So here Memphis would be hard capped but that shouldn't matter since we are actually reducing our cap number by 5 plus million in a trade like this since both Shump and Nene will be signed to the least amount needed to match salary, with the 2 and 3 years being UG. And we would still be far enough away from the apron to worry about it.

Regardless Houston's owner has demonstrated so far that he wants to avoid the tax unless it means getting a star player like Butler. I could see them biting the bullet and paying taxes on a Crowder trade but even then just getting Crowder would cost them 18 million in salary and taxes.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#7 » by giberish » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:54 pm

psman2 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Russ/Gordon/Rivers
Harden/Brooks/Green
Crowder/Iggy/House
Tucker/Clark
Capela/Chandler/Isaiah

The team receiving the SNT players is the one that is restricted. So here Memphis would be hard capped but that should matter since we are actually reducing our cap number by 5 plus million in a trade like this since both Shump and Nene will be signed to the least amount needed to match salary, with the 2 and 3 years being UG. And we would still be far enough away from the apron to worry about it.

Regardless Houston's owner has demonstrated so far that he wants to avoid the tax unless it means getting a star player like Butler. I could see them biting the bullet and paying taxes on a Crowder trade but even then just getting Crowder would cost them 18 million in salary and taxes.

I think money's part of the hold-up. Morey would prefer to get Iggy in this type of deal. But adding Iggy's salary + luxury taxes is very expensive for Houston and their owner doesn't seem eager to make that sort of move. Crowder wouldn't push them that far into the tax and is a likely compromise (getting the Rockets the extra rotation forward they really need without costing too much).

The other issue is incentive for Memphis. I'd assume that Memphis wants a 1st, while Houston would really prefer a deal like this with just a couple of 2nds. IMO the most likely compromise is to have Houston send a 1st and get back a good 2nd.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:49 pm

giberish wrote:
psman2 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

The team receiving the SNT players is the one that is restricted. So here Memphis would be hard capped but that should matter since we are actually reducing our cap number by 5 plus million in a trade like this since both Shump and Nene will be signed to the least amount needed to match salary, with the 2 and 3 years being UG. And we would still be far enough away from the apron to worry about it.

I think money's part of the hold-up. Morey would prefer to get Iggy in this type of deal. But adding Iggy's salary + luxury taxes is very expensive for Houston and their owner doesn't seem eager to make that sort of move. Crowder wouldn't push them that far into the tax and is a likely compromise (getting the Rockets the extra rotation forward they really need without costing too much).

The other issue is incentive for Memphis. I'd assume that Memphis wants a 1st, while Houston would really prefer a deal like this with just a couple of 2nds. IMO the most likely compromise is to have Houston send a 1st and get back a good 2nd.

I love Iggy for this team but maybe that doesn’t work for tax reasons. But maybe it’s Crowder, Brooks for Shump, 1st, 2nd
psman2
General Manager

Post#9 » by psman2 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:00 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
giberish wrote:
psman2 wrote:

I love Iggy for this team but maybe that doesn’t work for tax reasons. But maybe it’s Crowder, Brooks for Shump, 1st, 2nd

I just don't think Crowder has the trade market value to pull a 1st even with Brooks attached. What other team is giving up a 1st for him? Even at the deadline and a team has a need for him, are they giving up a 1st for 35 games of Crowder?

Likely Crowder is traded for the best 2nds and least amount of salary coming back. If Houston is the only one offering it then I take it, but I would prefer 2nds from a projected worst team if possible. I could see several teams giving up better 2nds than Houston and I would try to work those angles first.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#10 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:49 am

I like Crowder but this is an overpay. He's not a good enough 3pt shooter to make Houston enthusiastic for this deal. On the other hand, if they really believe they have a strong potential for a championship, they just might make this deal.

Memphis ought to jump on the trade. They need picks and youth.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#11 » by Catchall » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:14 am

Crowder isn't an upgrade for Tucker. He'd be coming off the bench for Houston unless you want to start him at the 3 for defense.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#12 » by giberish » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:00 am

Catchall wrote:Crowder isn't an upgrade for Tucker. He'd be coming off the bench for Houston unless you want to start him at the 3 for defense.

Right now Houston's forward rotation is Tucker (who's not getting any younger), House (IMO signed to the best bargain deal of the summer) and a few minutes with 3-guards together. There's about 25 mpg they still need to find. That's where Crowder fits in. He's good enough to fill those minutes at a level significantly above replacement level. He's cheap enough that Houston won't go that far into the tax trading for him (using a Shump S&T to match salaries). And he's available, as he was kind of just filler in the Conley trade and not a key piece going forward for Memphis.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#13 » by babyjax13 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:04 am

giberish wrote:
Catchall wrote:Crowder isn't an upgrade for Tucker. He'd be coming off the bench for Houston unless you want to start him at the 3 for defense.

Right now Houston's forward rotation is Tucker (who's not getting any younger), House (IMO signed to the best bargain deal of the summer) and a few minutes with 3-guards together. There's about 25 mpg they still need to find. That's where Crowder fits in. He's good enough to fill those minutes at a level significantly above replacement level. He's cheap enough that Houston won't go that far into the tax trading for him (using a Shump S&T to match salaries). And he's available, as he was kind of just filler in the Conley trade and not a key piece going forward for Memphis.

Exactly the thought.

JColl
ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#14 » by ZombieKilla » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Houston could have added Crowder to the CP3-Westbrook trade and saved Memphis his entire salary.
Unless Memphis REALLY wants Shumpert, that would have been a much better move for both teams.
Since they didn’t do that, I can’t see this trade happening.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,899

Post#15 » by K_chile22 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:32 pm

I'd do it but I wouldn't pay much more
He'd be a good backup 4 to keep heavy minutes off Tucker. House and 3 guard lineups should eat most of the minutes at the 3, but he can play some there too as well
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:49 pm

K_chile22 wrote:I'd do it but I wouldn't pay much more
He'd be a good backup 4 to keep heavy minutes off Tucker. House and 3 guard lineups should eat most of the minutes at the 3, but he can play some there too as well

The idea is my mind is gathering at least one more switchable forward to play against the LA teams. Houston is set at guard and center, but could use more defensive minded forwards so the entire defensive responsibility doesn't fall to Tucker.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#17 » by jwise44 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:50 pm

I’d love it
bigmean
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#18 » by bigmean » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:55 am

Ehhh good deal are houston seconds enough? Maybe pj tucker for crowder straight up
psman2
General Manager

Post#19 » by psman2 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:39 am

bigmean wrote:Ehhh good deal are houston seconds enough? Maybe pj tucker for crowder straight up

Tucker is twice the player Crowder is. What is the point.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,252

Post#20 » by JRoy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:40 am

Houston’s hungry for hamburger on a tuna fish budget.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.

Return to Trades and Transactions