Nuggets to sign Bol Bol to a two-way contract [Singer]

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Re: Nuggets to sign Bol Bol to a two-way contract [Singer] 

Post#21 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:11 pm

Stillwater wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Stillwater wrote:They still have to go through medical testing before somebody is going to draft them...

The idea is more so you won't get hurt playing meaningless games with nothing show for. If Bazely gotten hurt, he would of least already had an endorsement deal in place.

maybe you look at it that way, but the reason so many players go through the college process is not only for exposure but because they can prove their skill is better than most NCAA level players and worthy of NBA considerations.
Bol is an exception due to his unusual length and offensive arsenal so if he had not played at all in college somebody calls him up around mid 1st range expecting to get a steal, but none would draft him there if he skipped the Combine and esp it's medical testing, skipped interviewing for a job which is what it is after all and tried to ride the hype train from his fathers legacy.

That is a dated way to view the NCAA. There is more than one way a player can get exposure. He can play internationally and soon the g league will be available to high school prospects.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#22 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:12 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:The idea is more so you won't get hurt playing meaningless games with nothing show for. If Bazely gotten hurt, he would of least already had an endorsement deal in place.

maybe you look at it that way, but the reason so many players go through the college process is not only for exposure but because they can prove their skill is better than most NCAA level players and worthy of NBA considerations.
Bol is an exception due to his unusual length and offensive arsenal so if he had not played at all in college somebody calls him up around mid 1st range expecting to get a steal, but none would draft him there if he skipped the Combine and esp it's medical testing, skipped interviewing for a job which is what it is after all and tried to ride the hype train from his fathers legacy.

That is a dated way to view the NCAA. There is more than one way a player can get exposure. He can play internationally and soon the g league will be available to high school prospects.

I was referencing the situation specifically for Bol. You can say he would not have gotten injured never playing more than 1 on none drills training for the league etc, but no team is taking somebody like that in the lottery and Bol was preached to for years about how he was just that ...a high level top 10 prospect and he actually thought he was still likely to be a first round lock as well as the league itself since nobody had medical access leading up to the draft.
It was obviously clear to anyone who was interested that the medicals were not good since he never provided them it cast a dark cloud of doubt over his future. For those that got his medical info if there were any , there clearly were enough red flags to pass. I mean in this case he may not have gotten drafted at all with those medical reports if he had not proven himself and his skillset in the short time that he did at the collegiate level.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#23 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:15 pm

Stillwater wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Stillwater wrote:maybe you look at it that way, but the reason so many players go through the college process is not only for exposure but because they can prove their skill is better than most NCAA level players and worthy of NBA considerations.

I was referencing the situation specifically for Bol. You can say he would not have gotten injured never playing more than 1 on none drills training for the league etc, but no team is taking somebody like that in the lottery and Bol was preached to for years about how he was just that ...a high level top 10 prospect and he actually thought he was still likely to be a first round lock as well as the league itself since nobody had medical access leading up to the draft.
It was obviously clear to anyone who was interested that the medicals were not good since he never provided them it cast a dark cloud of doubt over his future. For those that got his medical info if there were any , there clearly were enough red flags to pass. I mean in this case he may not have gotten drafted at all with those medical reports if he had not proven himself and his skillset in the short time that he did at the collegiate level.

My point more he got injured while having no financial gain.

While Bazeley had financial gain by avoiding NCAA. If Bazley would of tripped over a chair in practice, he would of still at least made some money.
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/10/22/darius-bazley-new-balance-contract-skipping-college-2019-nba-draft
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#24 » by Stillwater » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:22 am

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:That is a dated way to view the NCAA. There is more than one way a player can get exposure. He can play internationally and soon the g league will be available to high school prospects.

My point more he got injured while having no financial gain.

While Bazeley had financial gain by avoiding NCAA. If Bazley would of tripped over a chair in practice, he would of still at least made some money.
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/10/22/darius-bazley-new-balance-contract-skipping-college-2019-nba-draft

Yep multiple ways of looking at it I guess but if all Bol cared about was getting paid I guess I see your point so maybe he was just given bad advice...I mean there are a lot of things he had to work on with his body which was a given unless he was planning on marketing himself as the leagues longest wing though. I think Bol is now sol unless he proves otherwise
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#25 » by psimanic1 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:18 am

It's probably something like "We will give you 2way this year and next year we will have more money and give you like 3yrs 9-10mil contract". It would be more than 2nd rounders are getting I guess
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#26 » by Alatan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:32 pm

What does this mean for Denver? Do we retain his rights or is he a free agent after the deals ends?
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Post#27 » by DeathLineup » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:26 am

psimanic1 wrote:It's probably something like "We will give you 2way this year and next year we will have more money and give you like 3yrs 9-10mil contract". It would be more than 2nd rounders are getting I guess

That's a heck lot of promise.

Bol can get injured again this year just like what happened with Cousins. Then he's done and Nuggets definitely and understandably won't fulfill their promise.
#thevillain
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by DeathLineup » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 am

Alatan wrote:What does this mean for Denver? Do we retain his rights or is he a free agent after the deals ends?

Yeah I'm curious about that as well. Maybe someone can help?
#thevillain
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#29 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:57 am

DeathLineup wrote:
Alatan wrote:What does this mean for Denver? Do we retain his rights or is he a free agent after the deals ends?

He'd be a free agent, but you could make him restricted.

From Larry Coon at CBAFAQ.com

When a Two-Way player becomes a free agent, his free agent amount (see question number 37) is the one year veteran minimum salary. A player finishing a Two-Way contracts is subject to restricted free agency (see question number 44) if he was on an NBA Active List or Inactive List for at least 15 days in the previous season. As with any other restricted free agent, the team must make a qualifying offer in order to retain its right of first refusal. The qualifying offer for a Two-Way player must be:

If the player played two or three years on Two-Way contracts with the same team, the qualifying offer is a standard NBA contract at the minimum salary, with no bonuses of any kind, and with the Two-Way salary guaranteed. This also applies if the player is no longer eligible to sign a Two-Way contract.
For all other Two-Way players, the qualifying offer is a Two-Way contract, with $50,000 guaranteed.

Bold would be the requirement for this next offseason. Underlined would be the situation for the following offseason.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:59 am

psimanic1 wrote:It's probably something like "We will give you 2way this year and next year we will have more money and give you like 3yrs 9-10mil contract". It would be more than 2nd rounders are getting I guess

They could've used the MLE or BAE to give him that this year if the fear was not having enough money to offer him this year. Even a minimum salary of almost $900k would be better for Bol than the $77.5k for the G-League this year.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by DeathLineup » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:00 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
DeathLineup wrote:

He'd be a free agent, but you could make him restricted.

From Larry Coon at CBAFAQ.com

When a Two-Way player becomes a free agent, his free agent amount (see question number 37) is the one year veteran minimum salary. A player finishing a Two-Way contracts is subject to restricted free agency (see question number 44) if he was on an NBA Active List or Inactive List for at least 15 days in the previous season. As with any other restricted free agent, the team must make a qualifying offer in order to retain its right of first refusal. The qualifying offer for a Two-Way player must be:

If the player played two or three years on Two-Way contracts with the same team, the qualifying offer is a standard NBA contract at the minimum salary, with no bonuses of any kind, and with the Two-Way salary guaranteed. This also applies if the player is no longer eligible to sign a Two-Way contract.
For all other Two-Way players, the qualifying offer is a Two-Way contract, with $50,000 guaranteed.

Bold would be the requirement for this next offseason. Underlined would be the situation for the following offseason.

Thanks for the answer Scott!
#thevillain
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#32 » by Alatan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:07 am

If they are screwing over Bol to sign Carmelo i swear im going to riot on the team. F Carmelo Antony.

Return to Trades and Transactions