Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#541 » by THE J0KER » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:44 pm

Coeur wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Question of the Week: Who will be the third scorer in 2019-20 behind Nikola Jokic and Jamal Murray?

Interesting poll results (over 700 DEN fans vote) of this question. Not surprised Harris won, but I didn't expect an overwhelming 60% win, with Millsap takes only 2% of votes. I voted for Grant, despite I know Harris have the best chances. Good season from Grant or Porter (or both) would be the best thing for Denver.

This sure shows the reality. Gary Harris is the third scorer. Not having a 3rd scorer was the weakness in the playoffs.

Obviously Malik Beasley needs more minutes but he’s prob the 3rd best offensive player.

Personally, Gary Harris (offensively) was my biggest disappointment last season. In 24th I expected at least to stay good as from previous season, but he dropped from 17.5 to 13 with TS% drops from 60% to 53%. He was better during a playoff, but Millsap was still clearly our 3rd best player. I know it is connected with his injuries, and he missed almost 1/3 games of the regular season, but the level of the drop was shocking and unexpected.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#542 » by skywalker33 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:24 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
Coeur wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Question of the Week: Who will be the third scorer in 2019-20 behind Nikola Jokic and Jamal Murray?

Interesting poll results (over 700 DEN fans vote) of this question. Not surprised Harris won, but I didn't expect an overwhelming 60% win, with Millsap takes only 2% of votes. I voted for Grant, despite I know Harris have the best chances. Good season from Grant or Porter (or both) would be the best thing for Denver.

This sure shows the reality. Gary Harris is the third scorer. Not having a 3rd scorer was the weakness in the playoffs.

Obviously Malik Beasley needs more minutes but he’s prob the 3rd best offensive player.

Personally, Gary Harris (offensively) was my biggest disappointment last season. In 24th I expected at least to stay good as from previous season, but he dropped from 17.5 to 13 with TS% drops from 60% to 53%. He was better during a playoff, but Millsap was still clearly our 3rd best player. I know it is connected with his injuries, and he missed almost 1/3 games of the regular season, but the level of the drop was shocking and unexpected.

You DO realize your disappointment came in the form of an injury to GHarris.....perhaps you get some adulation this year upon his recovery
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#543 » by THE J0KER » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:35 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
Coeur wrote:This sure shows the reality. Gary Harris is the third scorer. Not having a 3rd scorer was the weakness in the playoffs.

You DO realize your disappointment came in the form of an injury to GHarris.....perhaps you get some adulation this year upon his recovery
I know, and I mentioned, but as I already say, the level of decline is so shocking. From player which previous season averaged over 17, Harris since December become player which literally didn't score more than 15 points in two back-to-back games. He missed the same number of games in 2016-17 and also mostly in the 1st half of the season, but his TS% that season was 61%, 3pt% 42%, while last season it dropped to 53% and 34%. Shocking.
skywalker33

Post#544 » by skywalker33 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:48 am

THE J0KER wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Personally, Gary Harris (offensively) was my biggest disappointment last season. In 24th I expected at least to stay good as from previous season, but he dropped from 17.5 to 13 with TS% drops from 60% to 53%. He was better during a playoff, but Millsap was still clearly our 3rd best player. I know it is connected with his injuries, and he missed almost 1/3 games of the regular season, but the level of the drop was shocking and unexpected.

I know, and I mentioned, but as I already say, the level of decline is so shocking. From player which previous season averaged over 17, Harris since December become player which literally didn't score more than 15 points in two back-to-back games. He missed the same number of games in 2016-17 and also mostly in the 1st half of the season, but his TS% that season was 61%, 3pt% 42%, while last season it dropped to 53% and 34%. Shocking.

There was obvious more implications you’re not encompassing here. The development of Murray and his chemistry with Joker replaces/altered his role in the offense. I also think Malik steppin’ up reduced Harris’ role.

In the long run, I do attribute most of the drop off to the injury though

ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#545 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:26 pm

Sixers fan in peace.

Are you guys surprised you haven’t gone after Blake Griffin? He seems like the ideal star to get and pair with your young core. Something like Millsap + picks...
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#546 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:09 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Sixers fan in peace.

Are you guys surprised you haven’t gone after Blake Griffin? He seems like the ideal star to get and pair with your young core. Something like Millsap + picks...

Lots of players that people want the Nuggets to go after but most of them don't make sense. This Nuggets fan isn't surprised we haven't gone after Griffin. For two reasons:

#1 Jokic needs the ball in his hands in order to be effective.
Griffin needs the ball in his hands in order to be effective.
Murray & probably Porter are pretty good with the ball in their hands.

#2 Griffin is a PF and we already have Millsap + Grant + Vanderbilt + Cancar + Bol + Plumlee + Hernangomez + Porter. Some of those are better than others and some will play other positions, but even trading one or two of our PFs for Griffin ... PF is still overcrowded.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#547 » by THE J0KER » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:59 pm

Griffin was one of the biggest trade target subjects on this board this summer before Nuggets decided to use $30M Paul Millsap team option and get PF Jeramy Grant from OKC via trade. To be honest, my biggest concern about Blake Griffin and another for trade available PF big-name Kevin Love is their well-known health issues. If they have these problems during their prime years, it is highly risky to ignore these issues now when they are 30+ veterans.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#548 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:43 am

NuggetsWY wrote:

Lots of players that people want the Nuggets to go after but most of them don't make sense. This Nuggets fan isn't surprised we haven't gone after Griffin. For two reasons:

#2 Griffin is a PF and we already have Millsap + Grant + Vanderbilt + Cancar + Bol + Plumlee + Hernangomez + Porter. Some of those are better than others and some will play other positions, but even trading one or two of our PFs for Griffin ... PF is still overcrowded.

Good insight, thanks. I figured with Millsap being older and an expiring he’d be a trade chip along with a couple other pieces. Either way I think you guys are set for a great season. Just seems like you have the opportunity to pair Jokic with another top 25 player.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#549 » by Coeur » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:55 am

ProcessDoctor wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

Good insight, thanks. I figured with Millsap being older and an expiring he’d be a trade chip along with a couple other pieces. Either way I think you guys are set for a great season. Just seems like you have the opportunity to pair Jokic with another top 25 player.

Without a doubt the Nugs are in a perfect position and really need to make a trade like that. And the clear missing piece was not having another big time scorer from one of the forward spots in the playoffs.

Griffin would fit really well. I like Aaron Gordon best for the Nugs. A lot of Nugs fans want to try to stay put with 11 guys that think they’re starters for one more great regular season and then I guess let 3-4 guys walk in free agency. Anyone looking ahead sees this year as a must make a consolation trade to maximize all the value on the roster
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#550 » by The Rebel » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Coeur wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Lots of players that people want the Nuggets to go after but most of them don't make sense. This Nuggets fan isn't surprised we haven't gone after Griffin. For two reasons:

Without a doubt the Nugs are in a perfect position and really need to make a trade like that. And the clear missing piece was not having another big time scorer from one of the forward spots in the playoffs.

Griffin would fit really well. I like Aaron Gordon best for the Nugs. A lot of Nugs fans want to try to stay put with 11 guys that think they’re starters for one more great regular season and then I guess let 3-4 guys walk in free agency. Anyone looking ahead sees this year as a must make a consolation trade to maximize all the value on the roster

How would Griffin be a really good fit?
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#551 » by Coeur » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:24 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Coeur wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

Are you disagreeing that the clear missing piece in those playoff games was a 3rd scorer?

An elite finisher and scorer from the forward? Yes that would fit Jokic and the Nugs really well
skywalker33

Post#552 » by skywalker33 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Coeur wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Coeur wrote:

Are you disagreeing that the clear missing piece in those playoff games was a 3rd scorer?

An elite finisher and scorer from the forward? Yes that would fit Jokic and the Nugs really well

Didn't really answer Rebel's questions, skirted right around it. Barton can be an elite scorer same as Griffin but he just doesn't fit this offense. Nobody is saying Blake is a bad player but he just isn't a good fit next to Jokic.

Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#553 » by Coeur » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:48 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Coeur wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

Didn't really answer Rebel's questions, skirted right around it. Barton can be an elite scorer same as Griffin but he just doesn't fit this offense. Nobody is saying Blake is a bad player but he just isn't a good fit next to Jokic.

Jokic to Griffin or Gordon is the best high low/lob game in the league. Right? That’s the easiest 4-5 of the assists for Jokic and 10-12 points for the Forward. Nugs don’t have that guy now. Millsap gets those opportunities but it’s different because Jokic doesn’t have the lob option.

Teams biggest weakness in the playoffs is not having a 3rd scorer or being able to get easy baskets in playoff games. It’s because Nugs don’t have the elite finisher/athlete at forwards. Jerami Grant is going to kill it with what he has. Now instead of having him your 4-5th guy if he’s a 7-8th he’s a championship piece.

This team is going to be great regular season team. But it’s a piece or 2 from championship level.

Since I don’t get it why can’t you step up and explain it? You’re not understanding what an Aaron Gordon or Blake Griffin is going to do on the Nugs playing off Jokic/Murray, or I don’t get it. Explain why those aren’t good fits w Jokic.

What is (who is) a good fit at PF. This isn’t about what should or shouldn’t be traded. This is just where you or another one of the smart posters explain it to the dumb dumbs that don’t get it?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#554 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Coeur wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Coeur wrote:Are you disagreeing that the clear missing piece in those playoff games was a 3rd scorer?

Jokic to Griffin or Gordon is the best high low/lob game in the league. Right? That’s the easiest 4-5 of the assists for Jokic and 10-12 points for the Forward. Nugs don’t have that guy now. Millsap gets those opportunities but it’s different because Jokic doesn’t have the lob option.

Teams biggest weakness in the playoffs is not having a 3rd scorer or being able to get easy baskets in playoff games. It’s because Nugs don’t have the elite finisher/athlete at forwards. Jerami Grant is going to kill it with what he has. Now instead of having him your 4-5th guy if he’s a 7-8th he’s a championship piece.

This team is going to be great regular season team. But it’s a piece or 2 from championship level.

Since I don’t get it why can’t you step up and explain it? You’re not understanding what an Aaron Gordon or Blake Griffin is going to do on the Nugs playing off Jokic/Murray, or I don’t get it. Explain why those aren’t good fits w Jokic.

What is (who is) a good fit at PF. This isn’t about what should or shouldn’t be traded. This is just where you or another one of the smart posters explain it to the dumb dumbs that don’t get it?

Griffin is most effective when he has the ball in his hands. So is Jokic. Murray is very good with the ball in his hands and if Porter works out, he too needs the ball in his hands. That is why Giffin is not a good fit on the Nuggets.

Gordon would be a better fit but his game is somewhat similar to Grant's and Vanderbilt's and perhaps Porter's game as well, we shall see. Gordon is a better fit but the redundancy of skills makes him an unnecessary acquisition unless some of our forwards are traded for Gordon and I'm not certain he's the ultimate answer anyway. (Although a couple of years ago, I was a big fan of getting Gordon onto the Nuggets.)
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#555 » by Coeur » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:46 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Coeur wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Griffin is most effective when he has the ball in his hands. So is Jokic. Murray is very good with the ball in his hands and if Porter works out, he too needs the ball in his hands. That is why Giffin is not a good fit on the Nuggets.

Gordon would be a better fit but his game is somewhat similar to Grant's and Vanderbilt's and perhaps Porter's game as well, we shall see. Gordon is a better fit but the redundancy of skills makes him an unnecessary acquisition unless some of our forwards are traded for Gordon and I'm not certain he's the ultimate answer anyway. (Although a couple of years ago, I was a big fan of getting Gordon onto the Nuggets.)

The best players always have the ball in their hands. But I disagree that that Griffins best game. Playing off Jokic would give him easy quick action opportunities

Griffin and Gordon are way better than those guys. Grant as the 8th or 9th guy would be so crazy. But you need him to be your 3-5th guy and he’s not what I see as a championship piece in that role.

We have to focus on where guys fit on a championship team. We all know what they could do on a non playoff or even a good regular season team
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#556 » by Coeur » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:56 pm

Championship pieces
1-3 Jokic and Murray are these guys
4-6 I really think only Gary Harris is right now and only really like Beasley to be that level possibly by the end of this year.

7-9 not even counting potential from youth I think the Nugs have guys that could be championship pieces right now. Plumlee is. I think grant could be. And regardless of what trade board says Thrill Barton is in his absolute prime and is def a guy that can fit this role. Torrey Craig is for me an abosuluty can fit this too. I can even say he could be a starter and 7th best player if one of the top 6 is a 6th man guard and if a mpj or Vanderbilt type combo forward brought an offensive impact that Grant can’t

So the top 3 guy spot is crucial but I’m only seeing 1 4-6 guy in Gary Harris and see Beasley but not if they’re still both there.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#557 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:35 pm

Coeur wrote:
Spoiler:
NuggetsWY wrote:
Coeur wrote:

The best players always have the ball in their hands. But I disagree that that Griffins best game. Playing off Jokic would give him easy quick action opportunities

(((Everybody plays better with Jokic next to them.)))

Regarding the bolded text: You are quite incorrect. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy, Kevin Mchale, Reggie Miller & and many other greats did not "always have the ball in their hands".

Blake Griffin had a usage rate of over 30% last year (top-50), which was higher than Jokic's usage rate (not top-50).
Coeur wrote:Griffin and Gordon are way better than those guys. Grant as the 8th or 9th guy would be so crazy. But you need him to be your 3-5th guy and he’s not what I see as a championship piece in that role.

Regarding Grant: it is unlikely he will be the 3-5 guy. Malone will almost certainly start Millsap & Barton at SF with a strong hope Porter becomes the SF and a potential for Grant to eventually start (but maybe not this year). That leaves Grant as a bench player and in terms of scoring, it seems likely Jokic, Millsap, Barton, maybe Porter, Harris, maybe Beasley, and Murray will all receive more scoring opportunities than Grant.

Agreed on Griffin & Gordon being better than the Nuggets' options at PF - depending on what role you want them to play. Without a doubt, Griffin is a better player than the Nuggets' choices - if you want a star player. He is arguably the best PF in the league right now. Gordon is probably better than the Nuggets' choices - all around, Millsap might be better. But I don't think Gordon is significantly better than some of the Nuggets' options (some of which are totally unproven). So I'll agree with you that both are better.
Coeur wrote:We have to focus on where guys fit on a championship team. We all know what they could do on a non playoff or even a good regular season team

Your argument regarding what the current Nuggets' young forwards could do on a championship team is a little weak since neither Griffin nor Gordon have played on a championship team and Gordon has never played on a good regular season team plus it has been a year and a half since Griffin was on a good regular season team. Yet even with some other good players on the Clippers with Griffin, they were relatively unsuccessful in the playoffs.

The greatest teams do not always have the five greatest players. Two or three solid options on the offensive end, mixed with some players that can provide other stats and occasional scoring options. One or two decent scorers off the bench really help.

Consider the recent Warriors teams: Curry - Thompson - Durrant - Green - someone else and you see only three top scorers.
skywalker33

Post#558 » by skywalker33 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:23 am

Coeur wrote:Jokic to Griffin or Gordon is the best high low/lob game in the league. Right? That’s the easiest 4-5 of the assists for Jokic and 10-12 points for the Forward. Nugs don’t have that guy now. Millsap gets those opportunities but it’s different because Jokic doesn’t have the lob option.

Ever heard of Jerami Grant ??? Ever heard of Jamal Murray ?? Murray already HAS chemistry with Jokic, and Grants athleticism is top notch, why waste more assets for what we already have

Coeur wrote:Teams biggest weakness in the playoffs is not having a 3rd scorer or being able to get easy baskets in playoff games. It’s because Nugs don’t have the elite finisher/athlete at forwards. Jerami Grant is going to kill it with what he has. Now instead of having him your 4-5th guy if he’s a 7-8th he’s a championship piece.

Nuggets had/have a top 5 offense, that's really not a problem with this team. I have faith we have enough scorers to win in the playoffs

Coeur wrote:This team is going to be great regular season team. But it’s a piece or 2 from championship level.

We were ONE game from the WCF in our first playoff year with the youngest team in the playoffs. Adding Grant,maintaining and increasing strong chemistry and continuing to build our youth talent doesn't seem to be important to you, it's adding big names or players you've fallen in love with, that's what's important to you ...stop being a Debbie Downer and look what's actually happening not what you HOPE to happen !!

Coeur wrote:Since I don’t get it why can’t you step up and explain it? You’re not understanding what an Aaron Gordon or Blake Griffin is going to do on the Nugs playing off Jokic/Murray, or I don’t get it. Explain why those aren’t good fits w Jokic.

Before anyone could explain it, you have to listen and you're NOT doing that. Look at the comments of most posters here, are they positive towards your suggestion ???? How about on the TnT board ??? Again most poster (ours and others) regularly dismiss your trades as being negative towards the Nuggets......

And how do you KNOW what or how Gordon or Griffin is going to impact the Nuggets, it's just your conjecture. It's been explained and explained about how Griffin doesn't fit but you still go on and on.....see above about listening !!!

Coeur wrote:What is (who is) a good fit at PF. This isn’t about what should or shouldn’t be traded. This is just where you or another one of the smart posters explain it to the dumb dumbs that don’t get it?

Millsap is a prime example of who/what is a good fit next to Jokic: a defensive minded rim protector who plays defense and can score a bit. Does ANY of that say Gordon or Griffin to you ????

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#559 » by The Rebel » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:11 am

Coeur wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Coeur wrote:

So you still did not answer the question, I mean with your supposed superior scouting ability you surely know what I mean by fit right? The ability for Griffin to fit into what the team is trying to do?

Griffin struggled when asked to play off the ball with the Clippers, that is probably the main reason that the Clippers never did much despite having so much talent and such a good coach. Griffin and Paul were both most effective with the ball in his hands and running the offense.

What part of that fits with an offense that depends heavily on someone else having the ball and running the offense?

Griffin as assisted on only 40% of his made shots, meaning 60% of the time he was creating for himself. Blake Griffin had the 3rd most touches in the league with a time of possession that gives him the ball more than Jokic had last year. In fact his best seasons have always correlated with him having the ball considerably more.

Griffin is a below average man to man defender, and has limited effectiveness as a help defender. While Jordan and now Drummond are decent help defenders, most stats show that Griffin is just slightly above average.

So once again how is Griffin a fit with what we need?
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#560 » by TunaFish » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:15 pm

With Griffin you would have a 34 million a year base salary that jumps to 36 the follow year, plus a 15% trade kicker. That's a chunk of change by any stretch. The problem is that if your decision is to keep some of your own free agents later, then his salary if acquired, practically ends that quest. What you would give up to get him would be considerable and likely include a young talent going back like MPJ.

I'm against any trade that includes MPJ.

I suppose if pressed and if Detroit wanted to dump him (his contract), we could make it work. Can't see Detroit doing that given what they gave up to get him. I pass on Griffin.
Canned in Denver.

Return to Denver Nuggets