ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#821 » by GONYK » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Yeah EP is clearly a better player than Mudiay.

I expect Fiz to try playing him with DSJr. It might even be the starting lineup, though I still expect our # 3 pick to have a strong shot at starting unless his stumbles during training camp and pre-season.

So, actually if we had not drafted third I'd probably expect EP to start with Dennis, but I think # 3 picks will start as long as they are performing.

Since Dennis can play off the ball too if his shot is falling I don't really see the usage arguments as being totally valid. That is more of a coaching issue. If Fiz tries to teach Dennis how to play off-the-ball better then he can alternate with another ball handler in terms of who initiates a play.

This has yet to be determined. His shot isn't the only concern on that front.

Re-read my sentence for the grammar though. I see nothing in his game that cannot be utilized as the beneficiary of a pass as opposed to requiring the ball in his hands at all times.

There's nothing in anyone's game that inherently make them unable to play off the ball. It's their mentality that usually opposes it.

That, in a addition to the shooting, was DSJ's problem in Dallas.

That is why I'm saying that it is still to be determined if he can play off the ball, because it is more than a jumper.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,754

Post#822 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:26 pm

GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
GONYK wrote:
This has yet to be determined. His shot isn't the only concern on that front.

Re-read my sentence for the grammar though. I see nothing in his game that cannot be utilized as the beneficiary of a pass as opposed to requiring the ball in his hands at all times.

There's nothing in anyone's game that inherently make them unable to play off the ball. It's their mentality that usually opposes it.

That, in a addition to the shooting, was DSJ's problem in Dallas.

That is why I'm saying that it is still to be determined if he can play off the ball, because it is more than a jumper.

Sure, I also said it also becomes a coaching issue to make it clear as you're saying it is not strictly a matter of capability. And what I'm saying is Smith has a high degree of capability to play both on and off the ball IF he is willing to do so.

If he is like DRose, then the answer would be no.

These are clearly hypotheticals based not on probability, but ability. Smith should be able to play well off the ball, but I'm not saying it is guaranteed.

No need to beat it up too much. I'm in wait and see mode too. Perhaps I'm more optimistic about the players we have being able to mesh. I think Mudiay was the anti-thesis of what I wanted to see on the floor. I have higher hopes for these guys and their ability to play off one another.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,248
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#823 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Juco24 wrote:
BKlutch wrote:DSJ is so amazingly athletic. I just hope his shot is really as good as it looks here. It's astounding how good he looks and how good his shot looks. He's taken off the flab, like he really wants to succeed here. Let's hope it's for real.

Yeah - agreed!!... I know the competition was lacking but I look for the little things.... Did you notice the fluidity? Same motion each time? Those are things that don't change regardless of who you're playing. And he's definitely different.

Yes I did. This is a joy to see. Do we know who taught him? Everybody else seems to be working out with Brickley, but if he does as much for them as he does for Melo, no thanks. Whoever is working out DSJ is transforming him. I'm excited to see this.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,284

Post#824 » by Zenzibar » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:17 am

Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,284

Post#825 » by Zenzibar » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:18 am

If one looks back at Dennis' scouting profile on NBAdraft.net, his upside is ridiculous. Below I'll highlight what I believe the Team's coaching staff have been addressing this summer. Cause IMO, Rick Carlise is a more veteran's coach and actually very fortunate that Luka has already been developed playing pro ball in Europe. Both NCS and Dallas weren't ideal as there wasn't either enough time, ACL recovering at NCS or enough veteran leadership, as Dirk was just running out his time.
This year with the coaching staff working with him everyday, the uber tough veteran leadership, he should finally find a very supportive and fertile environment to reach another level.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/dennis-smith

Strengths: Smith is arguably the most explosive athlete in the draft, despite tearing his ACL a little over a year ago ... He is very shifty with the ball in his hands and has tremendous burst ... An elite level athlete who attacks the rim like a player 5 inches bigger ... Possesses solid size for a PG at 6'2 in shoes with a 6'5 wingspan and 8'1 standing reach ... He is also a strong, physical guard with the ability to absorb contact and finish acrobatically at the rim (61% at the rim) ... Smith has outstanding leaping ability off of both one or two feet, which led to numerous highlight reel dunks in his freshman year at NC State ... He also has the strength, quickness, and speed to be an excellent on ball defender when locked in ... Smith is a nightmare to guard in the open court with and his ability to change gears with power ... He also attacks the rim fearlessly off the bounce where he can finish explosively above the rim with regularity ... He also has an excellent first step from a stand still position and can cover a lot of ground with the dribble ... He does a great job of inviting contact and getting to the free throw line frequently (6.9 free throw attempts per 40 minutes) ... Smith’s strength also helps him fight through screens and recover quickly defensively ... He has quick hands and good instincts and can really be a problem for opposing ball handlers when pressured (2.2 steals per 40 minutes) ... Smith is a score first point guard with the ability to put pressure on the defense via isolation or the pick and roll ... He is quite difficult to stay in front of due to his shiftiness and ability to drive with either hand ... He is also improving as a shooter, particularly from long range where he shot a respectable 35.9% this season ... Where Smith truly shines on the offensive end, however, is his ability to create his own offense ... He can fill it up from all three levels, which will bode well for him in a modern NBA with an abundance of scoring point guards ... He does a good job of reading his defender off the pick and roll and has the ability to rise into a pull up jumper, where he gets great elevation ... He also frequently utilizes a lethal step back jumper when the guard is able to recover off the screen ... He improved as a 3 point shooter as his freshman season progressed ... Smith is a tough shot maker with the ability to bail his team out late in the shot clock ... He has the ability to make a play on the offensive end every time he touches the ball in one way or another ... Especially when his jumper is falling, there is almost no way to guard him because his so dangerous off the dribble and getting to the basket ... He is exceptional at creating space with jab steps, a variety of dribble moves, and a quick rising pull up jumper ... He is best when on the ball but is a capable spot up shooter when left open ... He has an innate ability to attack closeouts hard to pull up off the dribble or finish at the rim ... Smith primarily is looking to score, but he is a capable playmaker as well (6.8 assists per 40 minutes) ... He wasn't in an ideal situation at N.C. State, but he is capable of creating space, surveying the floor and passing the ball with either hand out of pick and roll situations ... With better talent around him in the NBA, he will look like an even better playmaker ... His open court speed makes him particularly dangerous in transition, as he will collapse the defense and find cutters or open shooters on the perimeter ... He does not need a screen to collapse the defense ... Instead he can usually break his man down off the dribble and get in the paint to kick out to open teammates ... He also shows flashes of impressive vision and accuracy off the pick and roll ... He will have a chance to be an absolute force on both ends of the court in the NBA ... Has excellent size at the point guard position at 6'2 with a 6'5 wingspan ... Shows a lot of confidence in his abilities and has a swagger on the floor, should not have any trouble adjusting to playing at the NBA level and be a standout PG at the next level ... His upside is among the best of any player in this draft ...

Weaknesses: Questions about attitude, focus and desire have surrounded Smith since his high school days ... Has a tendency to rely on his physical gifts and not pay enough attention to detail in regards to improving as a PG ... As talented as Smith is, he is still learning how to play the position and run a team offense at an optimum level ... He can improve his feel for when to create his own offense or when to facilitate ... He did not always seem to be on the same page with his teammates, which could be interpreted as a lack of leadership ... His overall decision-making, particularly off the pick and roll still need to improve, and he needs to become more vocal to be a quality leader in the NBA ... He can be a bit turnover prone, as he has a tendency to make careless entry passes and pick up his dribble against pressure without knowing where he wants to go with the ball ... He does not always initiate the offense with consistency and can learn to be more unselfish ... Often times he will launch a contested shot without any prior passes or turn it over before any set is run ... Smith also will settle for long jumpers early in the shot clock or force contested pull up jumpers instead of getting all the way to the rim or making a play for someone else ... In transition he is dangerous, but he does not always look ahead for open teammates and will instead force a low percentage shot ... He does the same off the pick and roll where he will frequently miss wide open teammates when double teamed off the screen ... Smith struggled with consistency this past season in terms of effort and overall impact ... Fell asleep defensively far too often showing a lack of commitment and focus ... Despite the fact that he has great upside defensively, his intensity has to improve ... Smith did not have a great situation at NC State, but a player as talented as him should be able to carry them to a more successful season ... Too often he proved to be lazy fighting through screens and closing out on shooters ... He can be too upright and often appears uninterested in keeping his man in front of him ... As a shooter, he still has room to improve, as he is best with some upward momentum ... He releases the ball on the way down sometimes and has an occasional hitch at the top of his release, which leads to sporadic results ...

Notes: Measured 6'2 in shoes, 6'5 wingspan, 190 lbs, and 8'1 standing reach in the summer of 2016 ... Highest-ranked recruit NC State has signed since the Recruiting Services Consensus Index began ranking prospects in 1998 ... No. 4 recruit overall and No. 1 point guard according to ESPN.com ... No. 6 overall recruit in composite ranking by 247 sports and 10th overall by Scout … Tore his ACL on August 7 of his senior year of high school and elected to graduate high school in December … Enrolled at NC State in January of 2016 … Averaged 22.2 points per game as a junior for Trinity Christian School … Named North Carolina’s Gatorade Player of the Year while leading Trinity Christian to 1A high school state semifinal … Led Trinity to a state championship as a sophomore … Played AAU Basketball for Team Loaded…2nd Team All-ACC Selection

William Peter Desautelle III 5/23/17

Strengths: Explosive point guard with size and great intangibles for the position … Elite level athlete and plays well above the rim. Incredibly explolsive and has a lightning first step ... Attacks the rim with aggression. Very good finisher … Far from a one dimensional athlete... Charasmatic personality. Great leadership ... Has a team first mentality ... Highly unselfish, very willing passer ... Has an advanced feel for the game ... Controls the tempo of the game well ... Sees the floor and passes the ball well ... Led the adidas Gauntlet in assists with 6.9 per game ... Plays with patience and doesn’t force his offense ... Quick decision maker, reads and reacts well … Plays well in isolation and thrives in transition ... Handles the ball well and gets where he wants with his dribble … Good defensive ability. Blocks shots well for a guard, almost averaged a block per game over the adidas Gauntlet ... Can be a good perimeter defender when committed ... Has the ability to harass and rip opposing ball handler … Strong body, can finish in traffic and stay on his driving path with some contact ... Draws fouls and gets to the free throw line at a high rate …

Weaknesses: Has room to improve as an outside shooter. Tends to hesitate when shooting off the catch ... Only shot 22.5% from three over the adidas Gauntlet ... Has shooting range out to the three, though still needs consistency ... Can become more dedicated on the defensive end ... Doesn’t always get in a low stance. Tends to gamble a bit … Shows a floater when he beats the first line of defense but overall can improve his overall midrange game … Tends to go through the motions at times, can be too nonchalant … Doesn’t move much off the ball. Can improve in the half court … Knee injury raises questions where his immense athleticism makes him injury prone. To his credit he has relentlessly attacked his rehab and strengthening his legs and body ...

Outlook: Smith enters his freshman season at NC State. The highly touted guard sat out his senior high school season with a torn ACL and attended NC State to rehab it. He impressed scouts at adidas Nations this year while looking explosive and fully recovered. With a solid year, Smith has a chance to a high pick in a talented 2017 draft class.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,977

Post#826 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:57 pm

HEZI wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Are they playing pickup against high schoolers? No way are DSJ, Elfrid Payton and RJ Barrett going to be able to coexist together in the NBA. Sorry bro but it just won't work.

Payton is not much of an upgrade over Mudiay, so it really won't be much different.

Payton passed the ball to DSJ in this vid more times than Mudiay did all year. Maybe you’re right but it’s very possible it can work. Especially if DSJ shot is legit too.

It's a pickup game and not even a Rico Hines run either. These guys look like they hooping against some kids and D2 players

We’ll see what happens when the real games start
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#827 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:08 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Are they playing pickup against high schoolers? No way are DSJ, Elfrid Payton and RJ Barrett going to be able to coexist together in the NBA. Sorry bro but it just won't work.

Payton is not much of an upgrade over Mudiay, so it really won't be much different.

Payton passed the ball to DSJ in this vid more times than Mudiay did all year. Maybe you’re right but it’s very possible it can work. Especially if DSJ shot is legit too.

Why are you all sleeping on Dotson? Did you fck your mom or something? Even Lebron could put that shyt aside. :lol: Seriously, Dotson or Trier are the two best SGs on the team. I'd start Dotson bc he's the better defender and the more consistent 3-pt shooter. Trier is perfect for percolating off the bench.

Me sleeping on Dot? Wtf :lol: I’m cool with starting him
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,076

Post#828 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:15 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Payton passed the ball to DSJ in this vid more times than Mudiay did all year. Maybe you’re right but it’s very possible it can work. Especially if DSJ shot is legit too.

Why are you all sleeping on Dotson? Did you fck your mom or something? Even Lebron could put that shyt aside. :lol: Seriously, Dotson or Trier are the two best SGs on the team. I'd start Dotson bc he's the better defender and the more consistent 3-pt shooter. Trier is perfect for percolating off the bench.

Me sleeping on Dot? Wtf :lol: I’m cool with starting him

Dotson going to be at the end of the bench with Frank with RJ/Trier/Ellington/Iggy/Morris/Knox ahead of him at the 2/3 spots, which he won't recover his spot on the depth chart because of his injury. Hell, Perry will want Payton to get minutes and if DSJr is able to keep his minutes up against the Perry wishes of Payton at PG, then they'll get playing time together and then add Payton as another guy pushing Dot further back on the bench. If Bullocks recovers, add another name to the list.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#829 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:19 pm

More footage and Fiz was there watching
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#830 » by HEZI » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:23 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
HEZI wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Payton passed the ball to DSJ in this vid more times than Mudiay did all year. Maybe you’re right but it’s very possible it can work. Especially if DSJ shot is legit too.

It's a pickup game and not even a Rico Hines run either. These guys look like they hooping against some kids and D2 players

We’ll see what happens when the real games start

That's what I'm waiting for. Don't really care much for Payton but it would be great if DSJ could become our long term solution at the PG spot so I'm hoping he takes the necessary leap
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,271

Post#831 » by RHODEY » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:09 pm

TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,916

Post#832 » by TheGreenArrow » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:57 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:More footage and Fiz was there watching

THAT'S MY PG!!!!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#833 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:25 pm

I'm not concerned about Dennis being able to play. Just translate these improvements onto the court and he'll be fine.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,171

Post#834 » by BBALLER4FR » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:24 am

Thugger HBC wrote:I'm not concerned about Dennis being able to play. Just translate these improvements onto the court and he'll be fine.

+1

If this is the DSJr people expected, he looks comfortable enough that this is what we'll get. He doesn't look like he's trying to do something extra to prove something. Just playing his game. What I love is that Marcus Morris, one of the Celtic leaders, is bringing that chemistry to compliment DSJr. Randle will beast, Elfrid will keep in his lane, so if Mitch remains Mitch, and RJ shows anything decent (he doesn't need to be ROY or anything like that) we will be alright this season. Would love to see improvement in Knox's efficiency, but we can get by with him at current level and the Taj and Portis duo is icing. That's a deep group and we haven't even mentioned Ellington, Bullock and the energizer Brazdeikis. I am looking forward to seeing how well this team can do OR how poorly they can be coached. I say poorly coached because this team should make some noise. If this collection was in Boston, they'd be top of the food chain.
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#835 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:02 am

BBALLER4FR wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:I'm not concerned about Dennis being able to play. Just translate these improvements onto the court and he'll be fine.

+1

If this is the DSJr people expected, he looks comfortable enough that this is what we'll get. He doesn't look like he's trying to do something extra to prove something. Just playing his game. What I love is that Marcus Morris, one of the Celtic leaders, is bringing that chemistry to compliment DSJr. Randle will beast, Elfrid will keep in his lane, so if Mitch remains Mitch, and RJ shows anything decent (he doesn't need to be ROY or anything like that) we will be alright this season. Would love to see improvement in Knox's efficiency, but we can get by with him at current level and the Taj and Portis duo is icing. That's a deep group and we haven't even mentioned Ellington, Bullock and the energizer Brazdeikis. I am looking forward to seeing how well this team can do OR how poorly they can be coached. I say poorly coached because this team should make some noise. If this collection was in Boston, they'd be top of the food chain.

and don't forget Zo
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,171

Post#836 » by BBALLER4FR » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:44 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
BBALLER4FR wrote:

+1

and don't forget Zo

Forgot Zo! Feeling this squad. All they need to do is play to their level and we're a problem for any opponent save deep teams like Denver and Clippers. I'm ready!
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#837 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:51 am

BBALLER4FR wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
BBALLER4FR wrote:
+1

and don't forget Zo

Forgot Zo! Feeling this squad. All they need to do is play to their level and we're a problem for any opponent save deep teams like Denver and Clippers. I'm ready!

Fiz better not eff this up. The talent is there

(on the other hand, if he is going to suck then I hope he sucks fast and we can move on from him quickly instead of watching a whole season of Mudiayesque coaching decisions)
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,076

Post#838 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:37 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
BBALLER4FR wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
and don't forget Zo

Fiz better not eff this up. The talent is there

(on the other hand, if he is going to suck then I hope he sucks fast and we can move on from him quickly instead of watching a whole season of Mudiayesque coaching decisions)

Yup. The very top end talent might not be there, but there is plenty of talent and depth of talent. Fiz is on the clock.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,271

Post#839 » by RHODEY » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:47 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
BBALLER4FR wrote:
+1

and don't forget Zo

If the defense is there I think we can make even teams like Denver workhard to beat us. Almost like the Clippers from last season. We appear to have great depth ourselves and a group of guys who won't play like they expect to lose. I think only subpar coaching can mess this up.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#840 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to New York Knicks