ImageImageImageImageImage

So which team is exactly going to keep the Warriors from ever getting back to the Finals?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: So which team is exactly going to keep the Warriors from ever getting back to the Finals? 

Post#21 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:22 am

xdrta+ wrote:
killmongrel wrote:DMC's injury is just a reminder of how fragile this NBA landscape is. Don't be fooled by the new names on rosters. Even the favorites are have injury concerns going forward that I do not think is sustainable for success in the long term. It's the reason why I do not see the Warriors missing the Finals too long.

I feel bad for Cousins and am not trying to make light of his struggles, but I just don't see any team being durable enough to dominate the league for a while.

I hate to say it, but the Warriors might be the most vulnerable of all. So much, everything in fact, depends on Curry.

Of the most likely WC playoff teams which is the most vulnerable to injury? Clippers, Lakers, Warriors, Blazers, Nuggets, Jazz, Rockets.

The most vulnerable look to be Lakers, Blazers and Nuggets. If the Lakers lose either of Lebron or AD they're depth is so bad they're screwed. If Portland loses Lillard I don't think McCollum is good enough to carry their scoring. If Denver loses Jokic, they don't have enough playmaking.

The Clippers, Jazz, Rockets and Warriors look less vulnerable. The Clippers could lose either George or Kawhi and still be competitive. Jazz could lose either Conley or Mitchell and be okay. Rockets could lose either Harden or Westbrook and be competitive. The Warriors could lose Steph or Russell and still have enough playmaking and ballhandling to be successful.

Either way we need some unknown quantities to distinguish themselves in order for us to be successful but the fact that both Steph and Russell are playoff caliber primary ballhandlers gives us more ability to withstand injury than some other teams.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Re: So which team is exactly going to keep the Warriors from ever getting back to the Finals? 

Post#22 » by killmongrel » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:26 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
killmongrel wrote:DMC's injury is just a reminder of how fragile this NBA landscape is. Don't be fooled by the new names on rosters. Even the favorites are have injury concerns going forward that I do not think is sustainable for success in the long term. It's the reason why I do not see the Warriors missing the Finals too long.

I feel bad for Cousins and am not trying to make light of his struggles, but I just don't see any team being durable enough to dominate the league for a while.

I hate to say it, but the Warriors might be the most vulnerable of all. So much, everything in fact, depends on Curry.

Of the most likely WC playoff teams which is the most vulnerable to injury? Clippers, Lakers, Warriors, Blazers, Nuggets, Jazz, Rockets.

The most vulnerable look to be Lakers, Blazers and Nuggets. If the Lakers lose either of Lebron or AD they're depth is so bad they're screwed. If Portland loses Lillard I don't think McCollum is good enough to carry their scoring. If Denver loses Jokic, they don't have enough playmaking.

The Clippers, Jazz, Rockets and Warriors look less vulnerable. The Clippers could lose either George or Kawhi and still be competitive. Jazz could lose either Conley or Mitchell and be okay. Rockets could lose either Harden or Westbrook and be competitive. The Warriors could lose Steph or Russell and still have enough playmaking and ballhandling to be successful.

Either way we need some unknown quantities to distinguish themselves in order for us to be successful but the fact that both Steph and Russell are playoff caliber primary ballhandlers gives us more ability to withstand injury than some other teams.
Yeah, that would be the benefit of DLO working out on the Warriors. If either of them were to get injured, Warriors would not be dead in the water since they'd still have a good/elite pg. But of course we'd have to depend on Klay being Klay and, like you said, another player stepping up if Draymond is no longer an offensive threat. If we manage to somehow snag a solid small forward somehow that can backup Klay, Warriors would be the least vulnerable team in the West.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#23 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:57 am

xdrta+ wrote:

Not many teams have 2 Currys.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#24 » by killmongrel » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:31 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Not many teams have 2 Currys.

Quinn Cook is no longer on the team.

Oh....you meant....ah.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,042

Post#25 » by Jester_ » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:34 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

Uh... if we lose our best player to injury, we still have 3 all stars. Which of our competitors has a chance in hell with their best player injured?
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#26 » by East Bay Sports » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:25 pm

The Clippers are the heavy favorite right now to win it all and anyone denying it is fooling themselves.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#27 » by East Bay Sports » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:26 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Betting odds
https://www.oddsshark.com/nba/odds/futures
Clippers, Lakers, Rockets, Bucks and 76ers are favored over the Warriors.
Warriors probably won't win the 2020 championship but maybe the Warriors are better than the betting odds think they are.

One of the Clippers or the Lakers should probably knock the Warriors off. Only one of the 2 LA teams has to live up to their upside potential for the Warriors to get stopped.

The Rockets having better odds than the Dubs is genuine comedy :lol: :lol:
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:45 am

East Bay Sports wrote:The Clippers are the heavy favorite right now to win it all and anyone denying it is fooling themselves.

I doubt the Clippers stay healthy.
KDSniper
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#29 » by KDSniper » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:39 pm

I would say clipper but honestly with the way injuries are these days who knows really. I think the warriors never lost a shot to return to the finals. They just not finals locks anymore
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#30 » by killmongrel » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:26 pm

Am I the only one that thinks the Clippers can suffer from the same fate as the 2018/2019 Celtics?

Overachieve the previous year. Chit the bed the next with more talent?

Like others have said, they still have their own injury concerns to deal with.

I'm not convinced what they have is sustainable in the least bit. Maybe they're the favorites this season. But I don't believe they will be beyond that.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#31 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:57 pm

killmongrel wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the Clippers can suffer from the same fate as the 2018/2019 Celtics?

I'm not convinced what they have is sustainable in the least bit. Maybe they're the favorites this season. But I don't believe they will be beyond that.

I think the Clippers are primed to wreck the league next season. Here's why....

Let's be honest, Kawhi and George are a lethal combo of offense and defense. Both have slipped on d in recent years, but they will be able to expend less energy on the offensive end, which will allow them to lock down when they need to I'm tough games.

Montrezl Harrell is a beast and still improving. We don't really have an answer for him at all. Most teams don't. He should start this year and that front line is impressive.

Landry Shamet is only getting better. Big time shot maker, and he's the type of dude who will hit the VanVleet shots.....the ones when it counts.

Beverly is still a strong defender who can shoot 3s decently and Lou Williams is the best bench scorer in the NBA.

They drafted 2 rookies who might contribute once playoffs come. Kabengele is tough, but the kid Terrance Mann, who was one of my draft crushes, might be a perfect glue type of fit for their lineup. Really good strong defender who will improve on offense as he gains confidence.

They are the favorites hands down.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:29 am

Mylie10 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Am I the only one that thinks the Clippers can suffer from the same fate as the 2018/2019 Celtics?

I think the Clippers are primed to wreck the league next season. Here's why....

Let's be honest, Kawhi and George are a lethal combo of offense and defense. Both have slipped on d in recent years, but they will be able to expend less energy on the offensive end, which will allow them to lock down when they need to I'm tough games.

Montrezl Harrell is a beast and still improving. We don't really have an answer for him at all. Most teams don't. He should start this year and that front line is impressive.

Landry Shamet is only getting better. Big time shot maker, and he's the type of dude who will hit the VanVleet shots.....the ones when it counts.

Beverly is still a strong defender who can shoot 3s decently and Lou Williams is the best bench scorer in the NBA.

They drafted 2 rookies who might contribute once playoffs come. Kabengele is tough, but the kid Terrance Mann, who was one of my draft crushes, might be a perfect glue type of fit for their lineup. Really good strong defender who will improve on offense as he gains confidence.

They are the favorites hands down.

Favorites yes, but the way some people talk there are no questions. There are a lot of open questions too.

1. Injuries ... there are a lot of "injury prone" players at the top of that roster.
2. Coaching ... I have no faith in their coaching staff.
3. Team building and leadership ... Their top players have negative team building reputations apart and now they are together. What will happen? Will it work? What when things get tough?

We'll see.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#33 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:49 pm

Doc Rivers probably should have won COTY last year so I don’t know why you don’t have faith in the coaching staff.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:55 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Doc Rivers probably should have won COTY last year so I don’t know why you don’t have faith in the coaching staff.

I don't like his coaching. I think he got kind of lucky last year.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 457

Post#35 » by Swift21 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:34 pm

gst8 wrote:Lakers will be a problem if they get to the playoffs healthy and with LBJ/AD reasonably fresh.

*If

Kuzma has to play a lot better than he did last season. There backcourt doesn't scare anyone.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:28 pm

Swift21 wrote:
gst8 wrote:Lakers will be a problem if they get to the playoffs healthy and with LBJ/AD reasonably fresh.

*If

Kuzma has to play a lot better than he did last season. There backcourt doesn't scare anyone.

LeBron is supposedly playing PG. And if the players play as well as their delusional fans think they will they won't lose a game all year.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#37 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:32 pm

Lakers are going to be brutal on defense, they won't be able to stop anyone.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#38 » by Mylie10 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:33 pm

I think Iguodala eventually ends up on the Lakers this year. Does that change anyone's thoughts?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,042

Post#39 » by Jester_ » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I think Iguodala eventually ends up on the Lakers this year. Does that change anyone's thoughts?

He had a few last heaves in the playoffs last year, but I think he's more useful on the bench than the floor at this stage to be honest.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#40 » by Mylie10 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:15 pm

Jester_ wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:I think Iguodala eventually ends up on the Lakers this year. Does that change anyone's thoughts?

He had a few last heaves in the playoffs last year, but I think he's more useful on the bench than the floor at this stage to be honest.

I think he would be fantastic for that locker room. And he can still d it up when it matters.
Khoee wrote “

Return to Golden State Warriors