ImageImage

2019 Offseason: Part 2

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Re: 2019 Offseason: Part 2 

Post#241 » by Norm2953 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:03 pm

How much fear is there in Brooklyn with Durant with the news of the Cousins injury? Makes one
wonder how Durant will fare when get closer to his return.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#242 » by d-train » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:15 pm

Norm2953 wrote:How much fear is there in Brooklyn with Durant with the news of the Cousins injury? Makes one

IDK, but these injury situations are individual. Roy's career wasn't over because of 1 knee injury. He had a history to a point where he finally had no cartilage to cushion his bones. Miles's career was over because he lost measurable strength and endurance from one of his legs. Any surgery is a bad thing, but there was nothing about their injuries generically that would signal the end of their careers. I'm guessing that dating back to Boogie's injury in New Orleans, there was red flags that teams were worried about.
realboredcactus
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#243 » by realboredcactus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:17 pm

Norm2953 wrote:How much fear is there in Brooklyn with Durant with the news of the Cousins injury? Makes one

Doesn't impact it at least for me. Plenty of guys torn their ACL and never seemed to have these following injuries. I think the fact that Boogie is so large, that when he is now on an unstable leg, other parts of that leg or the other will fail. Durant is probably 60-70 pounds lighter and should hopefully not have lingering injuries if he is smart about recovery.
realboredcactus
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#244 » by realboredcactus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:18 pm

realboredcactus wrote:

Doesn't impact it at least for me. Plenty of guys torn their ACL and never seemed to have these following injuries. I think the fact that Boogie is so large, that when he is now on an unstable leg, other parts of that leg or the other will fail. Durant is probably 60-70 pounds lighter and should hopefully not have lingering injuries if he is smart about recovery.

meant achilles, but same thing
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,887

Post#245 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:27 pm

An OKC fan brought up this deal on the T&T board and I absolutely love it:

Hassan Whiteside + Nassir Little + 2020 Lotto Protected FRP for Danilo Gallianri + Andre Roberson + Nerlens Noel

We get a 3rd non post scorer who can create for himself, is a knockdown shooter and gets to the FT line in Danilo.
We get a replacement defender after losing Aminu+Harkless in Roberson.
We get a defensive, rim running C to cover the backup position in Noel.

This would depend on Nurkic being healthy but to me, that rounds out our roster nearly perfectly. We would have to include Skal, Mario, Tolliver or Gasol to make the roster spots work. I think Skal.

PG - Damian Lillard / Anferne Simmons
SG - CJ McCollum / Andre Roberson / Gary Trent Jr
SF - Kent Bazemore / Rodney Hood / Mario Herzonja
PF - Danilo Gallinari / Zach Collins / Anthony Tolliver
C - Jusuf Nurkic / Nerlens Noel / Pau Gasol

That's a hell of a balanced roster. Defense to offset Damian, CJ and Gallo. Tons of high motor guys, tons of 3PT shooting and with the 6FTA per game Danilo, enough guys to attack the FT line when the shots are not falling. Love it.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#246 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:53 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:An OKC fan brought up this deal on the T&T board and I absolutely love it:

Hassan Whiteside + Nassir Little + 2020 Lotto Protected FRP for Danilo Gallianri + Andre Roberson + Nerlens Noel

We get a 3rd non post scorer who can create for himself, is a knockdown shooter and gets to the FT line in Danilo.

This would depend on Nurkic being healthy but to me, that rounds out our roster nearly perfectly. We would have to include Skal, Mario, Tolliver or Gasol to make the roster spots work. I think Skal.

That's a hell of a balanced roster. Defense to offset Damian, CJ and Gallo. Tons of high motor guys, tons of 3PT shooting and with the 6FTA per game Danilo, enough guys to attack the FT line when the shots are not falling. Love it.

I really like that deal too.
B0naf1d3
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#247 » by B0naf1d3 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:54 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:An OKC fan brought up this deal on the T&T board and I absolutely love it:

Damn, I like that a lot.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#248 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:08 am

I have no opposition to trading Whiteside when Nurkic is healthy as it's probably the best way to get value for Whiteside more than the potential cap space next summer. But Gallinari has missed too many games in his career. At age 30, I don't expect him to be healthier moving forward. Roberson is a non-shooter from 3 and free throws (which is not promising at all).

When Jermaine O'Neal was gone after 4 seasons, I didn't mind a bit. And I still didn't mind when his game jumped in his 2nd season with Indiana. I was never a fan of his game compared to Rasheed Wallace or Brian Grant or others. For YEARS afterwards, Portland fans cautioned against trading young talent and missing out on when they developed. While Little was drafted in the 20s, his projected career is one HUGE unknown. If he's part of a package, I wouldn't want it to be for a Gallinari.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#249 » by Sinobas » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:20 pm

We totally lose any inside presence by trading Whiteside. I'd think about that deal at the trade deadline as Nurk is returning, and if Hassan isn't working out will in Portland. I don't give a rip about Nassir.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#250 » by Goldbum » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:51 pm

I can see the appeal but I like Zco enough to bet it’s not necessary. I figure Zco makes a leap and Nasir impresses in practice making the deal only sorta interesting once Nurkic comes back.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
d-train
RealGM

Post#251 » by d-train » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:06 pm

I wouldn't consider this trade for a second. In fact, I wouldn't trade any 1 of the 3 players you are offering for all of what you have us getting in return.

I like Gallo, Roberson (if healthy & 100%), and Noel. But, none of these players are good enough to overcome situational problems. Gallo and Roberson aren't worth the money and we don't have a role for Noel. However, I would definitely take Gallo as a free agent in March if OKC waives him. I would consider Roberson or Noel if they are waived.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Post#252 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:50 pm

d-train wrote:

I wouldn't consider this trade for a second. In fact, I wouldn't trade any 1 of the 3 players you are offering for all of what you have us getting in return.

I like Gallo, Roberson (if healthy & 100%), and Noel. But, none of these players are good enough to overcome situational problems. Gallo and Roberson aren't worth the money and we don't have a role for Noel. However, I would definitely take Gallo as a free agent in March if OKC waives him. I would consider Roberson or Noel if they are waived.

Maybe Paul George will get waived too.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
d-train
RealGM

Post#253 » by d-train » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:55 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
d-train wrote:

Maybe Paul George will get waived too.

You shouldn't be so butt hurt. I didn't predict anyone will be waived. Some good players will be waived after the trade deadline. It's possible better players than Gallo will get waived.

Edit: Usually, when a good player is waived it's because the player is in his final year under contract and their team tried and failed to trade the player. Gallo is in his final year and OKC is likely doing their best to trade him. It doesn't mean that Gallo is a lousy player if he gets waived.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#254 » by dunlop212 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:00 pm

Maybe Whiteside and Bazemore get waived, then.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#255 » by Village Idiot » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:44 pm

dunlop212 wrote:Maybe Whiteside and Bazemore get waived, then.
Sure. If the Blazers are clearly going to miss the playoffs and don't find a taker for them as the trade deadline approaches, and if the teams doesn't plan on resigning them, it would make sense in terms of agent/player relations to let the vet player move on to a contender.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
d-train
RealGM

Post#256 » by d-train » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:40 pm

It would be possible if they were playing for OKC. Especially, if OKC didn't accept longer bad contracts in trade. Something a bad team could do is accept longer bad contracts in exchange for future assets. Problem is OKC is already packed with bad contracts and future assets they got when they traded PG and Westbrook.
d-train
RealGM

Post#257 » by d-train » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:52 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
Sure. If the Blazers are clearly going to miss the playoffs and don't find a taker for them as the trade deadline approaches, and if the teams doesn't plan on resigning them, it would make sense in terms of agent/player relations to let the vet player move on to a contender.

Or, such a team might waive a player if the player agrees to reduce his salary by $1M. Gallo might do that to get out of OKC. Especially, since Gallo would make S700k by joining a contender.
d-train
RealGM

Post#258 » by d-train » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:18 pm

I would trade more to get Jerami Grant than I would to get Gallo. OKC traded Grant for only a late 2020 1st round pick and cap relief.

It should be noted that OKC needs to drop $4.5M in salary to get under the tax. OKC will give up any player over 28 they have in a deal that drops $4.5M in salary.

Edit: Just noticed that only $700K of Patterson's salary was guaranteed. So, they are already under the tax.
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#259 » by halfHAVOC » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:43 pm

Hey Ya'll, this is a little off-topic (Nets board guy here), but wanted to share this with ya'll thought it was cool. Portland Trailblazers Twitter just shared my song and quoted my line about Lillard. My song is being used by NBA 2k.

Read on Twitter

Lol I'm on a mission to get Dame to hop on a remix of this song :D
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#260 » by Goldbum » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:55 pm

I see Joe Johnson is working out for the Pistons... could be a great pickup here for the vet minimum. Secondary ball handler and true SF...
PG Simons
SG Bazemore or Hood
SF J.Johmson
PF Herzonja
C Gasol

That’s a lot of playmakers surrounding Ant...
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed

Return to Portland Trail Blazers