ImageImageImageImageImage

Best big for Lakers? (Howard or McGee)

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

With Boogie out, what center should the Lakers sign / trade for?

Kenneth Faried (FA)
16%
Nerlens Noel (trade)
8%
Dwight Howard (FA)
29%
Timofey Mozgov (FA)
2%
Marcin Gortat (FA)
8%
Amir Johnson (FA)
2%
Joakim Noah (FA)
26%
Tristan Thompson (trade)
3%
Other
6%

Total votes: 62

Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Re: Best big for Lakers? (update LA interested in Dwight) 

Post#81 » by Spanish_Laker » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:24 pm

A focused and healthy Howard is the best possibility, and he needs us badly. He knows this is his last NBA chance and choosing the Lakers is the wisest decision.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#82 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:39 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:Whats the word on Gustavo Ayón?

NO
_Game7_
Veteran
And1: 1,415

Post#83 » by _Game7_ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:12 pm

Can a Laker fan please explain the hate Laker fans have for Dwight? He seems like a seamless fit with this lakers roster.
Exodus wrote:I think Kyrie Irving in the best player on the team to be honest
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#84 » by myersia » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:33 pm

Spanish_Laker wrote:A focused and healthy Howard is the best possibility, and he needs us badly. He knows this is his last NBA chance and choosing the Lakers is the wisest decision.

This :nod:
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#85 » by stan francisco » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:59 pm

The Polish Hammer > Howard
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
ShaqFu
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#86 » by ShaqFu » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:21 pm

So I have lived in Orlando for the past 15 years, and have seen too much of the Orlando tragic, BUT, like someone else mentioned, Dwight Howard needs this to work more than we do, and if he can stay focused, he can be the rim protector and inside secondary presence we need. He's a buttmunch, we all know, but if you want something to be positive about, here goes. We really don't have too much else to choose from. Maybe Faried?

Say what you will about him being a jerk or whatever else, but one thing that you can never question about him is his work ethic. He has maintained a good physique and good conditioning throughout all his drama and injuries in recent years. In his prime 10 years ago, this dude had fundamentals that I think translate to today. Always had a strong knack for rebounding along with the interior defense. His vertical may not be the same but the physique, active hands, and tough screens are still there.

In Orlando he was excellent at sealing his defender in the paint and getting easy first and second chance buckets inside. Always was a good outlet passer as well. If I remember correctly, I don't remember a time that he had any issues passing out of a double team in the low block to the shooters around him (Nelson, Lee, Turkoglu, Lewis) It also looks like he may have added a somewhat reliable mid range jumpshot, but I'm not holding my breath. He really can't afford to f this up. This is probably his last shot at meaningful basketball before he ends up in China, Europe, or the Big 3. I also think there are too many toughboersonalities on this team to let him f it up. We can also just waive him if he starts being a jerk again.

I briefly looked at his stats since the Lakers on basketball reference. If you can look past his personal life, and more importantly, if he can looked past it himself, he is a clear cut fit for this team. The other big issue is his ability to stay healthy. Hopefully this staff can be good enough to him or maybe Javale can take more minutes so that we cna lessen the risk of him having another set back. The Lakers clearly have the play makers and the shooters that Howard can benefit from. I say give him a chance on a short leash.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#87 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:15 am

_Game7_ wrote:Can a Laker fan please explain the hate Laker fans have for Dwight? He seems like a seamless fit with this lakers roster.

Are you aware of what happened when Dwight was here in Lakers before? Bad attitude and bad character.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,943

Post#88 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:56 am

_Game7_ wrote:Can a Laker fan please explain the hate Laker fans have for Dwight? He seems like a seamless fit with this lakers roster.

It's a little over the top, but the fact that Dwight has kicked around so much in recent years is highly indicative of his reputation around the league. This is a pretty good summation from a few years back:

https://www.theringer.com/2016/10/7/16042566/dwight-howards-last-stand-5b4347669a1e

It's somewhat unique in that these type of pariahs usually get their rep from overtly bad behavior. Dwight's never struck me as an textbook horse's ass, but his immaturity has been pretty breathtaking. I like humor and goofing around, but he takes it back to junior high, which would get annoying after about three days. (In comparison, Magic Johnson enjoyed himself to the max but he was still trying to cut your heart out every single night.)

He has also grossly overestimated his skills as a post-up player, leading to consistent clashes with coaches/teammates. He was admittedly pretty solid at his peak. But ideally he would have been a better DeAndre Jordan or Clint Capela-style lob threat who could also excel in the pick and roll (his best utility according to points-per-possession averages.) He, on the other hand, saw himself as a true, franchise back-to-the-basket center, and he consistently whined about touches and shots.

So the bottom line is, people just don't want to put up with his crap anymore, especially now that he's on the wrong side of 30. (Contrast that to players like Vince Carter and Derek Fisher, who get/got jobs way past their expiration dates because they're great pros.)

As for us specifically, we got all of the above, in addition to being jilted at the free agent altar, which is never going to endear a player to any fan base.

I think I would still take a shot at him. He's the definition of low risk at this juncture in that we could dump him with minimal complications if he got out of line. But there's every chance that, as noted, he'd start bitching about his role and alienating the locker room within a week, and we just don't need that.
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#89 » by LakersSoul » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:55 am

I don’t like any of those options.

How about Johnathan Williams or Travis Wear?
Or a stretch big from g-leagues?

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
_Game7_
Veteran
And1: 1,415

Post#90 » by _Game7_ » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:17 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:

It's a little over the top, but the fact that Dwight has kicked around so much in recent years is highly indicative of his reputation around the league. This is a pretty good summation from a few years back:

https://www.theringer.com/2016/10/7/16042566/dwight-howards-last-stand-5b4347669a1e

It's somewhat unique in that these type of pariahs usually get their rep from overtly bad behavior. Dwight's never struck me as an textbook horse's ass, but his immaturity has been pretty breathtaking. I like humor and goofing around, but he takes it back to junior high, which would get annoying after about three days. (In comparison, Magic Johnson enjoyed himself to the max but he was still trying to cut your heart out every single night.)

He has also grossly overestimated his skills as a post-up player, leading to consistent clashes with coaches/teammates. He was admittedly pretty solid at his peak. But ideally he would have been a better DeAndre Jordan or Clint Capela-style lob threat who could also excel in the pick and roll (his best utility according to points-per-possession averages.) He, on the other hand, saw himself as a true, franchise back-to-the-basket center, and he consistently whined about touches and shots.

So the bottom line is, people just don't want to put up with his crap anymore, especially now that he's on the wrong side of 30. (Contrast that to players like Vince Carter and Derek Fisher, who get/got jobs way past their expiration dates because they're great pros.)

As for us specifically, we got all of the above, in addition to being jilted at the free agent altar, which is never going to endear a player to any fan base.

I think I would still take a shot at him. He's the definition of low risk at this juncture in that we could dump him with minimal complications if he got out of line. But there's every chance that, as noted, he'd start bitching about his role and alienating the locker room within a week, and we just don't need that.

Interesting, I'm not even sure if he is worth the risk if that's the case, smells like a Melo situation. Just came across this full game on youtube, not liking his energy at all. I say search the D league for a guy that can jump, hustle, bang down low, and I think Lakers will be in better shape. However in Howard defense, if he has truly changed that awful awful body language, kidish smiles, passive aggresive negative energy that sucks the life out of the whole building, he is worth atleast a chance. First sign of something fishy just cut him,
Exodus wrote:I think Kyrie Irving in the best player on the team to be honest
myersia
Analyst

Post#91 » by myersia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:01 pm

_Game7_ wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

Interesting, I'm not even sure if he is worth the risk if that's the case, smells like a Melo situation. Just came across this full game on youtube, not liking his energy at all. I say search the D league for a guy that can jump, hustle, bang down low, and I think Lakers will be in better shape. However in Howard defense, if he has truly changed that awful awful body language, kidish smiles, passive aggresive negative energy that sucks the life out of the whole building, he is worth atleast a chance. First sign of something fishy just cut him,

Dude this was 2013. It’s 2019. Different situation. We can cut him if he fails easily. Low risk high reward situation
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#92 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:02 pm

myersia wrote:
_Game7_ wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

Dude this was 2013. It’s 2019. Different situation. We can cut him if he fails easily. Low risk high reward situation

Their only legit center is McGee who has asthma and therefore is only good for 20-24 minutes. Last season he had pneumonia and missed like 14 games and it took him forever to get his game back. The only positive think I can think of about Boogie's injury is that it happened early, enough time to get that 6-10 or hopefully taller banger they can nurture and teach the system now. If the Dwight experiment is a failure and the Lakers struggles this seaon. AD bolts out and the Lakers would be stuck in mediocrity. Noah is the safer option esp with decent advanced defensive stats last year as compared to Dwight. He doesn't pout when he doesn't get touches, he sets screens and never smiles when he team loses. Heck I'll take a chance on Amir Johnson right now. Yes he failed at Phillie but he actually ranked higher in DRPM over McGee last season and always has positive DBPM unlike Dwight who had a -2.3 last year.
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,317

Post#93 » by Ckay » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:04 pm

I'll go for Noah.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,750

Post#94 » by ROballer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:16 pm

If Lebron doesn't pout, it's gonna be Noah, no question about it.

He's the best fit and also the best guy available.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#95 » by zimpy27 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:34 pm

Just happy that Noah is on the list, will come down to his conditioning and will to be on this "Hollywood as hell" team.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#96 » by Ball so hard » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:46 pm

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#97 » by zimpy27 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:42 pm

Jock Landale will be playing big minutes in the upcoming FIBA world cup.

Here are his 25 point and 23 point outings in Summer League this year. He's a 6'11 C and is about to turn 24. He has similar offensive feel as Kevin Love but a better defensive presence without the elite rebounding and full-court passing ability.

He wants to play in NBA but has signed with Europe, it might be possible for him to get out of it if an NBA team wants him enough.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
myersia
Analyst

Post#98 » by myersia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:54 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Just happy that Noah is on the list, will come down to his conditioning and will to be on this "Hollywood as hell" team.

I love Noah but if he plays 5 games and get injured for the year I am not going to be happy. Dude has been injury prone his whole career.
myersia
Analyst

Post#99 » by myersia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:54 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Jock Landale will be playing big minutes in the upcoming FIBA world cup.

Here are his 25 point and 23 point outings in Summer League this year. He's a 6'11 C and is about to turn 24. He has similar offensive feel as Kevin Love but a better defensive presence without the elite rebounding and full-court passing ability.

This is interesting

He wants to play in NBA but has signed with Europe, it might be possible for him to get out of it if an NBA team wants him enough.
myersia
Analyst

Post#100 » by myersia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:55 pm

myersia wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Jock Landale will be playing big minutes in the upcoming FIBA world cup.

This is interesting

Return to Los Angeles Lakers