ImageImageImageImage

Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Re: Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2 

Post#41 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:29 am

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
thelead wrote:And had the 5th highest TS% of rotation players.

6 points per game
-17 net rating
33% from all shots outside 3 feet
58,7% FTs

This is prime example why every data needs contexts
How many mid range shots did he shoot?

I've just watched him play but I would have to say the vast majority of his shots were at the rim or a 3 pointer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

85 out of 243 total (35%) shots were taken by him between disance greater of 3 feet and inside 3 point line.

Close shots 3-10 feet were major prolem as he shot 28,6% from them.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#42 » by basketballRob » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:56 am

pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

6 points per game
-17 net rating
58,7% FTs

How many mid range shots did he shoot?

I've just watched him play but I would have to say the vast majority of his shots were at the rim or a 3 pointer.

85 out of 243 total (35%) shots were taken by him between disance greater of 3 feet and inside 3 point line.

That's pretty promising. If he gains strength and is able to use his body to get separation he should be able to raise those percentages. The great thing is that even with the low mid level and FT percentage he's still has a really good TS. I wouldn't be surprised if he's over 60% this year.

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#43 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:21 am

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:How many mid range shots did he shoot?

That's pretty promising. If he gains strength and is able to use his body to get separation he should be able to raise those percentages. The great thing is that even with the low mid level and FT percentage he's still has a really good TS. I wouldn't be surprised if he's over 60% this year.

His TS% was held on league's average only because his high FG% that comes from fact that he shot 78,8% inside 3 feet. Most of that shots were dunks. That's why i said he should work on inside game more.

Also his TS% was relativly ok for all nba players, but it was horrendus for Cs.
Matter of fact Zaza and Kosta Kofous had lower TS% among Cs.
With nowdays only two type of Cs -shooters and dunkers, it's almost impossible to have TS% below 54% . In league of 56 centers only one menaged to reach that number ( Koufus)

Bigs who can shoot are almost always guarded by - nobody. Their shots are way more wide open than guards, and for Cs who don't shoot, you simply won't miss many layups or dunks.
For yeras most effectivs Cs are ones who don't shoot at all. That's why their advance stats always need to be taken with grain of salt.

I even talked about that C anomaly few days ago when i said that it's almost impossible for C to have negative impact on defenese with current metrics , Xatticus explained why ( rebounds, steals, blocks..)
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Catledge
Starter
And1: 833

Post#44 » by Catledge » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:42 pm

My guess is that Mo takes 3s in games because he makes them in practice. If he weren't making them in practice, I suspect that Cliff wouldn't let him shoot them in games.

I think most of Mo's general poor play last year was about his fitness level. It's really hard to shoot the ball well or play with defensive energy when you're sucking wind. There's a decent chance that some of the obvious issues with his play will improve just by getting into better shape.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#45 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:59 pm

Clifford specifically praised his outside shooting ability in his latest summer league interview. He's going to keep shooting and he has the coaches support. Not much more to say on it.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#46 » by spinedoc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:03 pm

I've dropped expectations dramatically for Bamba. I'm happy with him as a complement to Vuc, meaning coming off the bench and providing a defensive presence. With Vuc taking his man out of the paint often, I'd like Bamba primarily as a rim protector as a contrast. Its okay if he occasionally tried a three, when its in rhythm and makes sense in the offense, but I don't want him to force the issue. I just want to see him stay healthy for a year now rather than make any huge projections for him, and especially considering our investment in Vuc. Bamba's stock has fallen quite a bit, and so too has expectations.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#47 » by Skybox » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:05 pm

I would also factor in that one and done guys are not being trained (patiently) for the long haul in college. Their value has to maximized NOW during the limited time the NCAA has their benefits...It stands to reason that offensive skill-building and solid muscle and cardio were not as high a priority at Texas. If you've got several months of a skinny long 18 year old you probably focus on swatting at everything and dunking everything...just a thought, he could end up being a MUCH more complete player in a couple of years.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#48 » by basketballRob » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:33 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

His TS% was held on league's average only because his high FG% that comes from fact that he shot 78,8% inside 3 feet. Most of that shots were dunks. That's why i said he should work on inside game more.

Also his TS% was relativly ok for all nba players, but it was horrendus for Cs.
Matter of fact Zaza and Kosta Kofous had lower TS% among Cs.
With nowdays only two type of Cs -shooters and dunkers, it's almost impossible to have TS% below 54% . In league of 56 centers only one menaged to reach that number ( Koufus)

Bigs who can shoot are almost always guarded by - nobody. Their shots are way more wide open than guards, and for Cs who don't shoot, you simply won't miss many layups or dunks.
For yeras most effectivs Cs are ones who don't shoot at all. That's why their advance stats always need to be taken with grain of salt.

I even talked about that C anomaly few days ago when i said that it's almost impossible for C to have negative impact on defenese with current metrics , Xatticus explained why ( rebounds, steals, blocks..)

Vucevic has only surpassed Bamba's TS of 539 a couple times in his career. Are you saying he's been a horrendous offensive player most of his career?

If you look at basketball reference Bamba has a positive rating on offense compared to defense.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#49 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:38 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
thelead wrote:
basketballRob wrote:You do know Bamba's career TS is higher than Vucevic's right?

And had the 5th highest TS% of rotation players.

:lol:
6 points per game
-17 net rating
58,7% FTs

Most while playing against backups

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#50 » by Xatticus » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:58 pm

I care far less about the upcoming season than many around here. I'm just far less concerned about where we are than I am about where we are going. To that end, I want to see Bamba with a consistent role, even if he is struggling. I want to see him taking open shots if that is what the defense is giving us. I want to see him making good basketball decisions, regardless of any immediate outcomes. More than anything though, I want to see demonstrable improvement in his game. He was a step late (or more) on everything at the defensive end last year. That's fine. A lot of guys struggle in their rookie seasons. That's only a problem if you don't see improvement.

The difference between 44 wins or 38 wins might be the difference between reaching the playoffs and going on vacation a couple weeks earlier. For me though, the difference is negligible. Neither outcome makes this franchise relevant. If this franchise is going to have any chance at becoming relevant, we have to prioritize the development of our young talent.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#51 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:13 pm

Xatticus wrote:I care far less about the upcoming season than many around here. I'm just far less concerned about where we are than I am about where we are going. To that end, I want to see Bamba with a consistent role, even if he is struggling. I want to see him taking open shots if that is what the defense is giving us. I want to see him making good basketball decisions, regardless of any immediate outcomes. More than anything though, I want to see demonstrable improvement in his game. He was a step late (or more) on everything at the defensive end last year. That's fine. A lot of guys struggle in their rookie seasons. That's only a problem if you don't see improvement.

The difference between 44 wins or 38 wins might be the difference between reaching the playoffs and going on vacation a couple weeks earlier. For me though, the difference is negligible. Neither outcome makes this franchise relevant. If this franchise is going to have any chance at becoming relevant, we have to prioritize the development of our young talent.

Might not make the team relevant in your eyes.... but will make worlds of difference for the youngster. Playoff experience... both "good and bad" are huge strides for developing players. Everyone wishes we went deeper into the offseason... but those dreams were snuffed by the now nba champs. I am more than positive that the trajectory of our player have shifted... because that taste of success is a driving force. compared to phoenix player wondering what they are playing for next season. And for us... the youngems are growing pillars of what we are building.... and our success is really in their hands. That knowledge and direction alone will make the biggest difference.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,449

Post#52 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:46 pm

Skybox wrote:I would also factor in that one and done guys are not being trained (patiently) for the long haul in college. Their value has to maximized NOW during the limited time the NCAA has their benefits...It stands to reason that offensive skill-building and solid muscle and cardio were not as high a priority at Texas. If you've got several months of a skinny long 18 year old you probably focus on swatting at everything and dunking everything...just a thought, he could end up being a MUCH more complete player in a couple of years.

This is a very underrated comment.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#53 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:49 pm

Xatticus wrote:The difference between 44 wins or 38 wins might be the difference between reaching the playoffs and going on vacation a couple weeks earlier. For me though, the difference is negligible. Neither outcome makes this franchise relevant. If this franchise is going to have any chance at becoming relevant, we have to prioritize the development of our young talent.

I totally understand where you're coming from with this and frankly you're not wrong.

But you also have to think about this realistically. There's no way the Magic are going to sacrifice a shot at the playoffs for the developmental benefit of a backup C.

I like Bamba and I hope he does as good as he can do this year, but with Vucevic signed for the next four years it's highly unlikely that Bamba is going to be the guy who makes this franchise relevant at any point in the short-term.

Ideally Bamba just plays well and there's no issue, but if not hopefully the Magic can strike the right balance between player development and winning basketball games.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:13 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
thelead wrote:And had the 5th highest TS% of rotation players.

:lol:
6 points per game
-17 net rating
58,7% FTs

Most while playing against backups

Got it.... he wasn't great last year.... shoot maybe not even good. But noone should have expected him to light this league on fire.... and if you did.... you were delusional. His physical limitation should have been expected at 220lb... let's see how he does after a disappointing year before painting the rest of his picture. Him and Isaac will be taking huge steps forward this year and i'm excited to watch it.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#55 » by ezzzp » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:15 am

1 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
2 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
3 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
4 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
5 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
6 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
7 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
8 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
9 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
10a hit open 3's at a +35% clip
10b make FT's at a +75% clip
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#56 » by Knightro » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:07 am

Read on Twitter
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#57 » by Skybox » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:12 am

Possibilities...
1. compete with TRoss for NBA 6th man of the year
2. Be the defensive heart of the best bench in the league, routinely beating starters in practice
3. Upping his trade value because he becomes too valuable to keep in Birch role (hello Beal)

All good...an embarrassment of riches at Center
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#58 » by basketballRob » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:27 am

ezzzp wrote:1 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
2 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
3 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
4 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
5 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
6 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
7 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
8 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
9 be a high energy defender/rebounder off the bench
10a hit open 3's at a +35% clip
10b make FT's at a +75% clip

Lol
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#59 » by rcklsscognition » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:17 pm

Vitamin D deficiency from being in Vuc's shadow all season.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:21 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

That D on Giannis was the most focused possession we have probably seen from him. The potential is there. Good gosh that length is scary! lol

Return to Orlando Magic