Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Re: Welcome Josh Richardson 

Post#81 » by tsmith » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:15 am

LloydFree wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I'm telling you. Brand getting Richardson is a master stroke. He's is so under-rated it's criminal. And with him alongside Simmons in defensive transition, he's going to become a fan favorite instantly.

He is prob a top 50 player in the league. Our whole starting lineup might be.

He was #67 coming into last season. I thought he should have been higher.

https://es.pn/2x8zhb9

"...what Richardson did best goes beyond the box score. According to Second Spectrum research, opposing players shot 41.6 percent when Richardson was the closest defender, tied for fifth best among 100 players to defend at least 700 shots last season. The only players with a lower percentage? Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Al Horford and Ben Simmons..."

That is genuinely insane that we have four of those players. Insane.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,591

Post#82 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:56 pm

Another thing to think about is he hasn't played with anyone who draws anything close to the level of attention as Embiid on offense. He could thrive off that.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#83 » by Arsenal » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:45 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:Another thing to think about is he hasn't played with anyone who draws anything close to the level of attention as Embiid on offense. He could thrive off that.

I think he could see the most clean looks he's ever seen as our primary perimeter scorer on the "Embiid Unit".

PG Neto
SG Richardson
SF Thybulle
PF Scott
CE Embiid

Let him run P&R with Embiid with the other 3 guys spacing the floor. Dump off to Embiid in the post as a fall back option.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#84 » by Kobblehead » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Richardson on NBC6 South Florida, via NBC Sports Philadelphia:

Honestly, when I come back here, I want to kill the Heat. I want to beat them by 20. That’s just how I’m built. But if I was on the Heat, I would want to beat Philly by 50.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#85 » by LloydFree » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:16 am

Most have probably already seen it, but this is an article from last season on Josh Richardson...

I know Miami was capped out and wanted a "Star" but I think they made a mistake moving Richardson for Butler.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/2/28/18243586/josh-richardson-miami-heat-feature

Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#86 » by snoopdogg88 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:39 pm

I like Josh quite a bit and think he will fit in nicely here, but no team should ever regret swapping him for Jimmy Butler. People are getting a little overly optimistic with their expectations of him.

This is a star driven league. Josh is a very solid role player. Every team would be happy to have him. But Miami won this deal easily.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#87 » by Kobblehead » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:57 pm

snoopdogg88 wrote:But Miami won this deal easily.

How he holds up on that extension and the team success of the Heat during his tenure will determine that.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#88 » by Negrodamus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:30 pm

snoopdogg88 wrote:I like Josh quite a bit and think he will fit in nicely here, but no team should ever regret swapping him for Jimmy Butler. People are getting a little overly optimistic with their expectations of him.

This is a star driven league. Josh is a very solid role player. Every team would be happy to have him. But Miami won this deal easily.

Or it could just delay a rebuild. Jimmy will have to start showing things he hasn't yet shown before in his career for them to be a legitimate contender.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#89 » by LloydFree » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:40 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
snoopdogg88 wrote:But Miami won this deal easily.

How he holds up on that extension and the team success of the Heat during his tenure will determine that.

Jimmy Butler is the most over-rated so-called "Star" in the NBA. Cant play off-ball, isn't a good shooter, his defense has fallen off a cliff. He's already a 65 game per year player at 29. There is a no chance that contract holds up. I'm so glad Brand didn't let people back him into that ridiculous extension.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#90 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:42 am

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
TFK
Junior
And1: 226

Post#91 » by TFK » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:17 am

76ciology wrote:

We may not have TJ anymore, but at least his doppelgänger is employed by the Sixers
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Post#92 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:46 am

One thing I like about Josh, is since he was asked o do so much in Miami I don't think he will hesitate to step up and go above his role when others are struggling.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Coreyh88
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#93 » by Coreyh88 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:07 pm

tsmith wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
He is prob a top 50 player in the league. Our whole starting lineup might be.

He was #67 coming into last season. I thought he should have been higher.

https://es.pn/2x8zhb9

"...what Richardson did best goes beyond the box score. According to Second Spectrum research, opposing players shot 41.6 percent when Richardson was the closest defender, tied for fifth best among 100 players to defend at least 700 shots last season. The only players with a lower percentage? Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Al Horford and Ben Simmons..."

That is genuinely insane that we have four of those players. Insane.

This is honestly scary for the rest of the league.

As far as whether or not Miami won the trade. We got closer to a ring and they got further IMO.
Richardson is the sort of player you need to win. a good value player that is on the cusp of being a star.
He is moreso the Reddick replacement while horford is the Butler replacement. On both counts I think we are better off. Butler's defence wasn't that great late last season.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#94 » by 76ciology » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:17 pm

He has a very promising PnR game. You can’t go under the screen with him being a threat to shoot those 3s. Unlike Jimmy, Josh Rich is going to take those mid range shots if the big plays ICE on defense, and he’s a good mid range shooter.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#95 » by LloydFree » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:39 pm

76ciology wrote:He has a very promising PnR game. You can’t go under the screen with him being a threat to shoot those 3s. Unlike Jimmy, Josh Rich is going to take those mid range shots if the big plays ICE on defense, and he’s a good mid range shooter.

Richardson was top 20 in catch-and-shoot 3 attempts. Jimmy Butler was bottom 20, for players over 1800 minutes. In fact, the combo of Richardson and Horford had more catch-and-shoot 3 attempts (538) than Redick and Butler (462).

https://stats.nba.com/players/catch-shoot/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals&sort=CATCH_SHOOT_FG3A&dir=1&CF=MIN*G*1800
76ciology
RealGM

Post#96 » by 76ciology » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:13 am

LloydFree wrote:
76ciology wrote:He has a very promising PnR game. You can’t go under the screen with him being a threat to shoot those 3s. Unlike Jimmy, Josh Rich is going to take those mid range shots if the big plays ICE on defense, and he’s a good mid range shooter.

Richardson was top 20 in catch-and-shoot 3 attempts. Jimmy Butler was bottom 20, for players over 1800 minutes. In fact, the combo of Richardson and Horford had more catch-and-shoot 3 attempts (538) than Redick and Butler (462).

https://stats.nba.com/players/catch-shoot/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals&sort=CATCH_SHOOT_FG3A&dir=1&CF=MIN*G*1800

From my perspective, I think spacing will be better for us this season. Specially if Embiid continues to improve on his perimeter shooting.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,685

Post#97 » by 76thBearCub » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:36 pm

LloydFree wrote:

Interesting stat.

I think / hope the chemistry makes up for what I perceive as a drop off in talent. I get why the Butler trade happened but he was always guna be some what difficult. You deal with that when he's able to perform at an elite level. With what I saw, i personally find it hard to see him being worth it beyond the next year or two. Getting Richardson for him was absolutely incredible, given the circumstance.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using RealGM mobile app
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,479

Post#98 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:19 pm

LloydFree wrote:his defense has fallen off a cliff.

This really stuck out to me. Regular season defense was shotty when I expected better.

Which makes defense what I am most interested to see from Richardson. I know all the questions on the team are offensive, but I want to see just how good Richardson can be at his spot. Too many times quick guards lit the Sixers up, can they stop that now?
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#99 » by LloydFree » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:25 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
LloydFree wrote:his defense has fallen off a cliff.

This really stuck out to me. Regular season defense was shotty when I expected better.

Which makes defense what I am most interested to see from Richardson. I know all the questions on the team are offensive, but I want to see just how good Richardson can be at his spot. Too many times quick guards lit the Sixers up, can they stop that now?

If it was just quick guards (like Kemba and Kyrie) giving it to Jimmy, I'd give him a pass. He's not supposed to guard those guys, but because they didn't have anybody else, he was forced. The problem was he was getting cooked by big guards and forwards too. Couldn't guard D'Angelo Russell or Zach Lavine, and had ZERO chance against guys like Paul George, Kawhi and Siakam. Josh Richardson won't stop the bigger forwards, but at least he'll keep the smaller guards from getting 30-40 every night
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#100 » by Sixerscan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:30 pm

I think having a full training camp, not having to go to China, not dealing with the integrating Fultz stuff (which was a worthwhile endeavor but ultimately a waste of time) or remaking the team with major trades multiple times during the year (we assume) should lead to a more cohesive and consistent performance too.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers