ImageImage

OT: Australia Trip

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Re: OT: Australia Trip 

Post#81 » by trwi7 » Sun Feb 3, 2019 8:40 am

buckbeer wrote:Australia has lots of sheep and cows, that's pretty much the animals I see on the road.

Always wondered the origin of the phrase "Look at all these sheep ****." Now I know it's because Australians just raw dog sheep all day.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#82 » by AussieBuck » Sun Feb 3, 2019 9:37 am

bizarro wrote:
stellation wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:SLANDER!!

I can no longer handle the day after drinking but I can still put in a decent session. Also I'm not silly enough to **** with the drop bears, did try to pick up an Eastern brown snake once though, which I reckon I've talked about here at least once. :D

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/science-environment/2012/07/australias-10-most-dangerous-snakes/

For anyone wondering- whilst Australians absolutely will try to egg on their friends to pick up an Eastern brown, we do still think they're a **** idiot if they try to.

Jesus. That's intimidating as hell. So many of those first 5 or 6 snakes looked exactly the same to the commoners' eye. How common is it to stumble upon these bastards?

Tiger snakes are the only particularly distinct ones to the eye straight away and they are probably the real most dangerous because they are the most likely to get cranky at you. I grew up in a semi-rural area so I guess if you were around grassland in the summer and it wasn't a loud place you'd see one if you went walking around a bit in the grass. Basically unless you're up north and it's a big arse python, everything else is something fairly lethal so it doesn't really matter what it is. :D

Really though, it's reasonably uncommon for a snake/spider/croc to kill someone, I'd guess the vast majority of tourist deaths come from drowning at the beaches. Lots of places with really strong rip tides that'll drag you a mile out from the shore if you're swimming in the wrong spot.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#83 » by trwi7 » Sun Feb 3, 2019 9:43 am

Oh yeah? We also have poisonous snakes in Wisconsin and also super dingoes.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#84 » by AussieBuck » Sun Feb 3, 2019 10:45 am

trwi7 wrote:Oh yeah? We also have poisonous snakes in Wisconsin and also super dingoes.

TBH a snake is a **** reptile that doesn't evenhave **** legs and a spider is usually smaller than your hand. Who the **** is scared of such mediocre creatures. A **** grizzly bear tho, those **** are nearly the size of Pachinko. :o
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,879

Post#85 » by Jez2983 » Sun Feb 3, 2019 11:58 am

A very large number of snake deaths seem to involve the bitten person feeling a need to retrieve the snake and take it with them. They either get bitten again or allow time for the venom to spread.

Very Darwinian.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#86 » by bizarro » Sun Feb 3, 2019 5:47 pm

Jez2983 wrote:A very large number of snake deaths seem to involve the bitten person feeling a need to retrieve the snake and take it with them. They either get bitten again or allow time for the venom to spread.

Very Darwinian.

Ha!

“Hey little buddy, you’re coming with me. This just isn’t the right tuft of grass for you to be coiling about! Well, oh ****, now you gone and bit me. Life. You sweet fruiiit.”
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#87 » by stellation » Mon Feb 4, 2019 5:49 am

bizarro wrote:
stellation wrote:
bizarro wrote:
Jesus. That's intimidating as hell. So many of those first 5 or 6 snakes looked exactly the same to the commoners' eye. How common is it to stumble upon these bastards?

From that list I've had Eastern brown, copperhead and red bellies around our place in the 6 years we've been here (we do have a fair bit of bushland around us). I'd say we've probably averaged about 2 encounters each summer- that's not counting the instances where it's clearly the same snake we've seen recently who just isn't moving on.

When you say encounters do you mean: Honey, there's that snake over there. See him he's lying down and he's completely unawares.

OR

Holy **** there's that snake and we just stumbled onto it head on.

I'd say probably 9 times out of 10 it's mainly just a sighting, the real hassle just depends on where it is- we have a reasonably sized block that's got a bit of a paddock fenced off at the back of it, if it's down there it's just a matter of going "cool!" and making sure everyone knows/the dog can't get down there but if it's closer to the house or our chicken run you're going to lose all day keeping an eye on it and hoping it heads off.

I'm a city boy born and raised, I'm pretty surprised at how quickly nonchalant I've become about them since moving out of the middle of the city- although they're always about anywhere that has a bit of bushland.
#FreeChuckDiesel
stellation
RealGM

Post#88 » by stellation » Mon Feb 4, 2019 6:25 am

Jez2983 wrote:Only just saw all you turds laying into SA. Having lived in this side of the country for about 6 months it's too hot and there's too many of you.

Feel free to continue not going to SA though. Quite happy for people to not realise how good it is.

Party on, Jez.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#89 » by Jez2983 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 9:04 pm

stellation wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:Only just saw all you turds laying into SA. Having lived in this side of the country for about 6 months it's too hot and there's too many of you.

Feel free to continue not going to SA though. Quite happy for people to not realise how good it is.

Party on, Jez.

Johnny is a saint! That's a blast from the past.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
joshuapending
Junior
And1: 101

OT: Australia Trip 

Post#90 » by joshuapending » Tue Feb 5, 2019 5:54 am

Yeah don't hate on S.A. too much. We might not be a massive city but there is some great spots if you like outdoors stuff or booze. And the city is actually starting to develop a pretty cool identity now. Would it be the first place I go to if I was visiting Australia, no, but it does have it things to offer. Also another kudos to Johnny as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chile
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#91 » by chile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:07 pm

Starting to actually plan this trip now. I have heard good things about Port Douglas but I am thinking I don't want to rent a car. Do I really need to head up there? Or is Cairns still ok if I take the ferry to Green Island or Fitzroy for beaches? I figure time spent on the beaches there plus day trips for the GBR and Kuranda/Barron Falls would cover my bases. Is there a ferry that runs to these islands? I see there are tours to these islands but I think a cheap ferry there is good enough for hanging on the beach and snorkeling off shore. Then do a day tour to a more remote area for the GBR. Am I missing anything else for the area?

Unrelated to Australia, flights out of Milwaukee to Paris around January 24th are 600 bucks. 1 short layover in both directions.
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#92 » by Jez2983 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:09 pm

chile wrote:Starting to actually plan this trip now. I have heard good things about Port Douglas but I am thinking I don't want to rent a car. Do I really need to head up there? Or is Cairns still ok if I take the ferry to Green Island or Fitzroy for beaches? I figure time spent on the beaches there plus day trips for the GBR and Kuranda/Barron Falls would cover my bases. Is there a ferry that runs to these islands? I see there are tours to these islands but I think a cheap ferry there is good enough for hanging on the beach and snorkeling off shore. Then do a day tour to a more remote area for the GBR. Am I missing anything else for the area?

Unrelated to Australia, flights out of Milwaukee to Paris around January 24th are 600 bucks. 1 short layover in both directions.

Our country is so massive :lol:

Honestly stick to Cairns and the beaches around there. I can speak for the ferry situation but I'm sure there is a lot of transport options. I imagine there's a market on in Cairns which is a good place to get local fruit and random tourist crap if you want it. Although you can get overpriced crap anywhere in Australia so maybe wait until the end!

brettski
Analyst
And1: 1,730

Post#93 » by brettski » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:13 pm

chile wrote:Starting to actually plan this trip now. I have heard good things about Port Douglas but I am thinking I don't want to rent a car. Do I really need to head up there? Or is Cairns still ok if I take the ferry to Green Island or Fitzroy for beaches? I figure time spent on the beaches there plus day trips for the GBR and Kuranda/Barron Falls would cover my bases. Is there a ferry that runs to these islands? I see there are tours to these islands but I think a cheap ferry there is good enough for hanging on the beach and snorkeling off shore. Then do a day tour to a more remote area for the GBR. Am I missing anything else for the area?

Hi. Cairns doesn't' have beaches. Get on Google Maps and you'll see it has a giant mud flat. BUT if you just go about 20 minutes north to Trinity Beach or Palm Cove you will be on one of the most magnificent beaches in Australia. I do a fair bit of work in Cairns and I've holidayed up there too. I stayed at Palm Cove and all the tours I booked (like Kuranda Range and Green Island/Great Barrier Reef) offered bus connections from your resort. My advice is stay at Palm Cove ( you can get a taxi, bus connection or just catch public transport) and arrange bus connections to all the tourism stuff. Palm Cove also has a Jetty that some of the tourist trips to the reef pick up and drop off at.

Don't believe there is a ferry, just tourism boats.

I've done both Green Island and also the floating islands. Both are great. The Green Island Jetty is very long so boats don't churn up the underwater sand and as a result you can wade out into the reef off Green Island easily into crystal clear water and beautiful reef snorkelling.

Only caveat on the reef options is I've not done a reef tour in about 8 years so the reef quality may have changed.

I've also stayed at Port Douglas. But we rented a car. The GBR tour options didn't feel quite as good.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Mark my words....Gooden will be this year's teams MVP. Watch and see.....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1139340&start=15&p=29252753&view=show#p29252753
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,764

Post#94 » by Plossum » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:36 am

Port Douglas is hot and humid as ****. Beware.
#LockUpChuck
stellation
RealGM

Post#95 » by stellation » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:05 am

Plossum wrote:Port Douglas is hot and humid as ****. Beware.

Yep, also need to give a clear warning (and I cannot stress this enough): Port Douglas is in **** QUEENSLAND! BEWARE!
#FreeChuckDiesel
brettski
Analyst

Post#96 » by brettski » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:28 am

stellation wrote:

Yep, also need to give a clear warning (and I cannot stress this enough): Port Douglas is in **** QUEENSLAND! BEWARE!

Harsh
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Mark my words....Gooden will be this year's teams MVP. Watch and see.....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1139340&start=15&p=29252753&view=show#p29252753
stellation
RealGM

Post#97 » by stellation » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:46 am

brettski wrote:
stellation wrote:

Harsh

Fellas, I need to give a clear warning (and I cannot stress this enough): brettski is a **** QUEENSLANDER! BEWARE!
#FreeChuckDiesel
brettski
Analyst

Post#98 » by brettski » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:21 pm

stellation wrote:
brettski wrote:
stellation wrote:Yep, also need to give a clear warning (and I cannot stress this enough): Port Douglas is in **** QUEENSLAND! BEWARE!

Harsh

Fellas, I need to give a clear warning (and I cannot stress this enough): brettski is a **** QUEENSLANDER! BEWARE!

Born in NSW but moved to QLD for Uni at 18. Do with that information what you will!

stellation
RealGM

Post#99 » by stellation » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:22 am

brettski wrote:
stellation wrote:
brettski wrote:
Harsh

Born in NSW but moved to QLD for Uni at 18. Do with that information what you will!

TRAITOR!
#FreeChuckDiesel
chile
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#100 » by chile » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:56 pm

Are places like Kuranda, Daintree and Mossman Gorge worth full day tours? Or is it better to combine Daintree and Mossman into one day? I don't want to rush those places if a couple hours isn't enough. Do those places have good hiking/activities?

I was thinking GBR for a couple days, Fitzroy for a day and then the above 3 places each day. Would I be missing anything? Maybe Crystal Cascades?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks