ImageImageImage

Trading For Andre Iguodala?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Trading For Andre Iguodala? 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:57 am

What do you think about trading for Andre Iguodala?

I'm starting to come around on it since he's still a solid perimeter defender, will have nights where he can contribute on offense, as a playmaker, and on the boards, but most importantly, he elevates his game during the playoffs, has a Finals MVP, and plenty of postseason experience/success.

I think Lee for Iggy works straight up, but the Grizz would want more than that. I think a first round pick swap could work, but I bet the Mavs would be hesitant to do that, and even so, I don't think it'd actually work out well for Memphis since they are definitely worse than the Mavs right now, and probably for the foreseeable future.

But if that pick swap converts into a 2nd round pick, cash, or something, then I'd be OK with that.

Ionno, probably doesn't make sense for the Mavs to make a trade right now, and they're probably better off seeing what they have, but if you want to propose a trade for Iggy, then please post it below.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Re: Trading For Andre Iguodala? 

Post#2 » by Teffer10 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:55 pm

Lee/DFS for AI is something I'd do but Memphis doesn't.
They might bite on Lee/Jackson but Mavs wouldn't do that and shouldn't.

THJ for AI is something I'd do as well but Memphis doesn't.

Now if we are a serious PO contender by the TDL, I could see the Mavs consider some type of package deal for AI that would most likely include Lee.

I think Memphis did a wonderful thing by trading for AI because they should be able to pick up another decent asset in trading him to a contender or gain additional future picks or young talent by taking on longer contracts. Great move on their part imo.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,031

Post#3 » by daoneandonly » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:55 pm

Teffer10 wrote:Lee/DFS for AI is something I'd do but Memphis doesn't.

Now if we are a serious PO contender by the TDL, I could see the Mavs consider some type of package deal for AI that would most likely include Lee.

I think Memphis did a wonderful thing by trading for AI because they should be able to pick up another decent asset in trading him to a contender or gain additional future picks or young talent by taking on longer contracts. Great move on their part imo.

A move we should have made, get a guy who can contribute and a pick. And as you mentioned, he's still a tradeable asset.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#4 » by Teffer10 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:36 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Lee/DFS for AI is something I'd do but Memphis doesn't.

A move we should have made, get a guy who can contribute and a pick. And as you mentioned, he's still a tradeable asset.

That's what bothers me about our off-season strategy with FAs. We seem to get focused and locked in to the big sexy potential deals while some of the other not so sexy deals would be better. AI would have been a great deal for us because he is exactly what we need with Luka and KP and if he didn't work out we could have unloaded him at TDL for another pick or young asset. Although Green is a little better, getting AI with a pick on a virtual one year deal would have been a no-brainer.

So as usual we end up with nothing.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#5 » by Darren » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:23 am

I truely don't think Memphis could get a first out of AI. Memphis is likely moving AI before the season starts. For the Mavs, it's only an issue whether or not the Mavs is willing to part with a Mavs 2nd (likely early second round draft pick). The rest is Memphis's decision. The Mavs will look to included unwanted contract in the same deal. The Mavs are not do or die with the deal. Even with AI, the Mavs might be able able to put in the best 2-way lineups in clutch situation as both AI and Wright can't shoot. So is DFS.

The Mavs might also want to last chance to get a lottery talents. With significant change in role (Zinger at 5 and Luka at 2), it might take times to adjust. From Man D to Zone D is also a gradual learning process which involves a lot of decision making. And the Mavs do not want to risk Zinger for another injury, it's highly likely that the Mavs are not whole-heartedly contending unless things look extremely good early or the Mavs pull trigger on unthinkable good deal (which is highly unlikely with the pieces available to trade). Getting a third star (likely playmakers backcourt) or trading down multiple pieces (3D players with long arms, quick hands, quick feet, high court awareness, coachable) is appealing to a team which is not able to attract talents from FA.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#6 » by Darren » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:28 am

That being said, the Mavs contend only if this team is overachieving early. I hessitate to part with an early second in draft unless the draft is proven to be swallow. But I don't want to rule out the chance, there're not much 3D players available in 2020 draft. Elite playmakers are not available in second round. For pure shooters or pure defenders, I am not very interested. I'd think highly of trading down with Orlando for Bamba and their 1st. Orlando is supposed to make the playoff. But Orlando lacks playmakers for deep playoff run. And 2020 draft is rich in playmaking talent on top of the draft board.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#7 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:24 am

Darren wrote:That being said, the Mavs contend only if this team is overachieving early. I hessitate to part with an early second in draft unless the draft is proven to be swallow. But I don't want to rule out the chance, there're not much 3D players available in 2020 draft. Elite playmakers are not available in second round. For pure shooters or pure defenders, I am not very interested. I'd think highly of trading down with Orlando for Bamba and their 1st. Orlando is supposed to make the playoff. But Orlando lacks playmakers for deep playoff run. And 2020 draft is rich in playmaking talent on top of the draft board.

Mo Bamba would be dope, but has it been confirmed that the Magic are actually open to trading him?

Return to Dallas Mavericks