Utah Jazz Players in the FIBA World Cup(in China)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Re: Utah Jazz Players in the FIBA World Cup(in China) 

Post#81 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:23 pm

Next exhibition game for USA is at Marvel Stadium in Melbourne on Thursday at 7:30 pm Australia time, 3:30 am Utah time. Marvel Stadium is generally used for soccer and has a 55,000 seat capacity. Wonder if Boomer Captain Joe Ingles will get hot on threes to even out his percentage after a 2-12 start his first two games?

TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#82 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:49 am

Crunch 99 wrote:Next exhibition game for USA is at Marvel Stadium in Melbourne on Thursday at 7:30 pm Australia time, 3:30 am Utah time. Marvel Stadium is generally used for soccer and has a 55,000 seat capacity. Wonder if Boomer Captain Joe Ingles will get hot on threes to even out his percentage after a 2-12 start his first two games?

Marvel Stadium was built and mainly used for Australian Rule Football, it's also used for cricket, and occasionally soccer. The reason I point this out is not to be pedantic, but because the surface is much larger than a soccer field, with a surface area around two and a half the size, and around 40 times the size of an NBA court. Soccer fans do not like the stadium as the playing field is too far away from the stands when configured for their games.

Most people attending the basketball will likely be watching it on the big screens, as the seats in the stands are way to far away to properly see the players, and the field is a flat surface, so if they have people at ground level they will not be able to see at all.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#83 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:41 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Next exhibition game for USA is at Marvel Stadium in Melbourne on Thursday at 7:30 pm Australia time, 3:30 am Utah time. Marvel Stadium is generally used for soccer and has a 55,000 seat capacity. Wonder if Boomer Captain Joe Ingles will get hot on threes to even out his percentage after a 2-12 start his first two games?

Marvel Stadium was built and mainly used for Australian Rule Football, it's also used for cricket, and occasionally soccer. The reason I point this out is not to be pedantic, but because the surface is much larger than a soccer field, with a surface area around two and a half the size, and around 40 times the size of an NBA court. Soccer fans do not like the stadium as the playing field is too far away from the stands when configured for their games.

Most people attending the basketball will likely be watching it on the big screens, as the seats in the stands are way to far away to properly see the players, and the field is a flat surface, so if they have people at ground level they will not be able to see at all.

Thanks for clarifying that. I had seen Marvel referred to as a soccer stadium in a news clipping, but I guess the article should have said Australian Rule Football. Wonder if they will fill up all the seats for this game? Attending the game should be fun even if watching a lot of the action on big screens. I wish Simmons and Exum were playing.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#84 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:43 am

Crunch 99 wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that. I had seen Marvel referred to as a soccer stadium in a news clipping, but I guess the article should have said Australian Rule Football. Wonder if they will fill up all the seats for this game? Attending the game should be fun even if watching a lot of the action on big screens. I wish Simmons and Exum were playing.

It's almost sold out for both games, NBA is huge in Melbourne. There is a really big backlash at the moment due to all of the stars pulling out. There is talk about layers launching a class action to get people refunds, but I think you will still see a huge crowd,

I think most people will be pretty disappointed - not because of the game or the players who turn up, but because the stadium is way to big for basketball, it's a massive cash grab that will give basketball a bad name.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#85 » by KqWIN » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:39 am

330 game let's go!

(totally not addicted to basketball btw)
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#86 » by stitches » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:19 am

The spacing of team USA looks all kinds of jacked up. They seem out of sync and out of position a lot of the time.

Donovan playing great defense. Way too many mid-rangers on offense. That's not something I want to see....

Also... Donovan took a shot to his body and is wincing... got taken out of the game. Hopefully nothing serious.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#87 » by KqWIN » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:39 am

44-43. Team USA desperately needs Donovan in the game because he's the only one playing defense. The second he went out Mills started torching then.
stitches
RealGM

Post#88 » by stitches » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:47 am

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#89 » by KqWIN » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:40 pm

Out of all the teams I've seen play so far, AUS looks like they've got the best system. They play really good basketball. I like their dropping defensive scheme with Baynes and Bogut at the rim. Patty Mills also turns into Redick/Klay which is fun to watch.
stitches
RealGM

Post#90 » by stitches » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:42 pm

BTW Mitchell was chosen to be the team's captain along with Kemba and Marcus Smart.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255225/Kemba-Walker-Donovan-Mitchell-Marcus-Smart-To-Captain-Team-USA-Versus-Australia
stitches
RealGM

Post#91 » by stitches » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#92 » by Catchall » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:45 pm

Extended highlights.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#93 » by KqWIN » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:34 pm

The mid range backlash has probably gone too far, but Mitchell is so in love with the mid range and floaters it hurts...but at least his defense looks really improved. I thought he was average/above average last season and think he could make the jump to being very good and possibly elite. He was a huge game changer on defense.

It's easy to forget that Mitchell was a defensive prospect coming out of the draft.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#94 » by Catchall » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:37 am

KqWIN wrote:The mid range backlash has probably gone too far, but Mitchell is so in love with the mid range and floaters it hurts...but at least his defense looks really improved. I thought he was average/above average last season and think he could make the jump to being very good and possibly elite. He was a huge game changer on defense.

It's easy to forget that Mitchell was a defensive prospect coming out of the draft.

He's coming off the pick-and-roll, and if the other team drops the big in the paint, the mid-range jumper is open. Chris Paul's made a living taking those shots.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#95 » by Catchall » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:38 am

I think Harrison Barnes could be on the bubble as far as being the last cut. He's just meh--a meh athlete and defender, a meh passer, a meh rebounder, and a meh shooter. Jalen Brown and Joe Harris have been better in these exhibitions, imo.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#96 » by KqWIN » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:55 am

Catchall wrote:
KqWIN wrote:The mid range backlash has probably gone too far, but Mitchell is so in love with the mid range and floaters it hurts...but at least his defense looks really improved. I thought he was average/above average last season and think he could make the jump to being very good and possibly elite. He was a huge game changer on defense.

He's coming off the pick-and-roll, and if the other team drops the big in the paint, the mid-range jumper is open. Chris Paul's made a living taking those shots.

I think his mid range pull-up is money. I don’t actually mind that one too much. I really dislike his floater game. I wish he got physical and attacked the defender more often. That will lead to more free throws.

He’s just too content tossing up a tough 6-8 footer when he should be looking for better options.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#97 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:45 pm

stitches wrote:Australia had 2 games with Canada in Australia. They lost the 1st one by 20 and won the second one by 8... Here's the box scores for both games:

https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/AUSO/1313248/bs.html
https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/AUSO/1310977/bs.html

Seems like Jingles is not shooting the ball well so far.

I speed watched the USA vs AUS game, mostly focusing on Mitchell, but Ingles did not look very good imo. Seemed like he was easily shut down on his drives and he wasn't shooting the three ball well again. Now he's 3 for 16 on threes over three games.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#98 » by KqWIN » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:55 pm

Enjoy Mitchell while he’s here and pray that he decides to plant the flag in UTA. He’s the most likable player in his generation. One way or another, he will team up with these guys.

Read on Twitter
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#99 » by El Hespiritu » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:49 pm

Mmmh...
Déjà vu.

Spida should just shoot what Pops asks him to shoot. I guess that's exactly what he's doing.

For what I'm seeing in this exhibition games he's high in Pops' consideration but Kemba, Middleton and Tatum are now the main go-to-guys before him... this might change during the tournament tho.

Agree with Crunch 99 about Ol'Man Aussie concerns... he looks an elite shooter during RS but gets dismissed at post-season.
I don't think is due to PO scouting neither a physical issue. More like a biocycle of him, maybe.

I haven't actually checked Stumps' performances with La France. He should be even more impactful in FIBA than he is in NBA not only for size stuff but because the prevalence of zone defenses.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#100 » by KqWIN » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:10 pm

Ingles was lights out in the 2018 playoffs. Especially against the Rockets. Turns out that shooting can be pretty random.

Return to Utah Jazz