ImageImageImage

Let's talk Robert Williams

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Re: Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#241 » by djFan71 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:40 am

5InOfLouisville wrote:If timelord masters rotations and laying off fakes, im all in. I wouldnt even worry about his offense.

I believe in his physical tools obviously. We are thin on talent at the position and youre right, the opportunity is there

Im ready to be sold...I WANT to be sold. Theres a decent case for him... but when i watch him, he still seems a bit far away, while offering those glimpses of what might be.

Is there a comp out there, who seemed lost but then picked it up? Let me get a couple bees in and maybe ill order a timelord poster before the nights over

Nah, don't change. I agree with your points in this thread. They're quite reasonable. I said all last year he just didn't know where to be (on either end), and was a year away from being a year way. But once/if he learned, he'd be a monster. For me, I hope 2 things. 1) He's improved enough to be able to stay on the court this year, so he can improve enough for a year 3 leap, 2) I would love for him to be able to play alongside another big eventually.

I would completely ignore #2 this year, keep things as simple as possible for him so he can do #1. The minutes are there and the bar is much lower to earn them. Like you, I'd love it if he did earn them, but I think he has a ways to go. My hope is he we make it a priority and just gift him a 5-6 min stretch each half regardless. Pull him if he's horrid, but let him earn more time out there if he's playing well.

I'd actually token start him for that reason. Play with other guys that DO know what they're doing and he can cover for the rim protection the rest of the starters lack. Other benefits too (Kanter gets more shots off bench, Smart balances him on D, etc), but not necessarily TL related and I don't wanna derail this into a rotation thread. Possible downside could be some early deficits, but his development could make it worth that risk.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#242 » by OldCeltics » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:26 am

Dogen wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:
Dogen wrote:
Ojeleye has his own special powers, begotten from some ancient ritual no doubt (his back story will be in MCU in 2024).

Semi has the power to make things... halved. So if Time Lord jumps 12 inches to block a shot, Semi can make him look a fool by making it six inches. Same for bedtime activities where size does matter.

And if Time Lord decides to go back in time to 1919? Semi makes it.... um 1959.

Anyway, you get the point. They are both on the same team and need to join their super powers. I don't necessarily want to see Semi get more minutes than Williams, but I also don't wan't to see a 3' 5" Time Lord.... or Ojeleye sent back to early 19th Century US.

With great power comes great responsibility.

So then Timelord will adjust, and go back to 1819, with Semi's power he will land in 1919 where he wanted to. An half of Timelord's bedroom activities is still more than 90% of most basketball players.

All I'm saying is when you have the most powerful super hero, you use him, don't put him on the bench.

Yes, well with that logic, coach is also going to have to find some minutes for the one player who's super power is to spontaneously produce all-you-can-eat Tacos. Everybody wins. :beer:

Unlimited tacos and unlimited time to eat them :o Time Lord + Tacko
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#243 » by Dogen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:57 am

OldCeltics wrote:
Dogen wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:
So then Timelord will adjust, and go back to 1819, with Semi's power he will land in 1919 where he wanted to. An half of Timelord's bedroom activities is still more than 90% of most basketball players.

All I'm saying is when you have the most powerful super hero, you use him, don't put him on the bench.

Yes, well with that logic, coach is also going to have to find some minutes for the one player who's super power is to spontaneously produce all-you-can-eat Tacos. Everybody wins. :beer:

And only half the calories thanks to Semi. Now THAT'S superteamwork! :wink:
Hey you! Can we come together?
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#244 » by cloverleaf » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:54 am

Dogen wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:
Dogen wrote:

And only half the calories thanks to Semi. Now THAT'S superteamwork! :wink:

With Romeo that makes for a perfect date night.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#245 » by ROballer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:39 pm

Ignore the favorite team tag for a sec, I just need some input here.

I'm an original owner of a team in the Lakers Dynasty League on Yahoo, we're going strong and it's gonna be the 6th year coming up. We're going with a 17 man roster, from 15 up until now, so the FA pool might be a lil' more dreaded than usual.

I really like Williams and his per minute output, I need a big and he's on the FA pool. Due to the fact that we have a 17 man roster, I don't need a starting caliber guy(meaning minutes)necessarily, I don't know if I can even find one.

But here's the deal, do you guys think he can get to 16 mins per at least? Considering his production from his rookie year, I think that should be enough to give me something good from my end of the bench guy.

Thanks.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#246 » by 3D Chess » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:52 pm

ROballer wrote:Ignore the favorite team tag for a sec, I just need some input here.

I'm an original owner of a team in the Lakers Dynasty League on Yahoo, we're going strong and it's gonna be the 6th year coming up. We're going with a 17 man roster, from 15 up until now, so the FA pool might be a lil' more dreaded than usual.

I really like Williams and his per minute output, I need a big and he's on the FA pool. Due to the fact that we have a 17 man roster, I don't need a starting caliber guy(meaning minutes)necessarily, I don't know if I can even find one.

But here's the deal, do you guys think he can get to 16 mins per at least? Considering his production from his rookie year, I think that should be enough to give me something good from my end of the bench guy.

Thanks.

Will largely depend on three things.

1. Poirier. Bit of an unknown, but looks like he will be given the first shot at backup C mins behind Kanter.
2. Injuries. Rob will get chances at the 4 and 5 depending on injuries. We don't have a lot of depth at the 4 spot, but will likely roll out a bunch of small lineups, so there may not be many minutes for him there. Kanter or Poirier get hurt and RW will see mins.
3. Kanter. Can we play him 25-30 mins a night with his poor defense? If not, it might be a C-by-committee rotation which will see RW earn more mins.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#247 » by OldCeltics » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:58 pm

Poirier, Kanter, Theis are all role players with limited ceilings.

Time Lord has the same potential to be as important as Brown, Tatum. If he rebounds, block shots, get a few layups, and dominate defensively.

Williams has borderline star potential.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#248 » by Roddy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:48 pm

I can see Williams playing 15+ minutes.

My fear with Poirier is that the game is too fast for him in the NBA. He is kind of slow sometimes. Lateral moves on defense is a red flag.
Theis is more a 4 IMO.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#249 » by cloverleaf » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:29 pm

Agreed, Roddy and OldCelts, about the relative potential, roles and ceilings for the C's big men. I'm still not convinced Brad and his team are where they should be re: coaching a raw center talent like Rob, but I hope we really start to see him blossom in the preseason, so he gets a spot in the rotation for the start of the year.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,940

Post#250 » by Parliament10 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:27 am

ROballer wrote:Ignore the favorite team tag for a sec, I just need some input here.

Thanks.

OldCeltics wrote:Poirier, Kanter, Theis are all role players with limited ceilings.

Time Lord has the same potential to be as important as Brown, Tatum. If he rebounds, block shots, get a few layups, and dominate defensively.

I have to Agree. Robert Wiliams (aka Time Lord), will eventually be a Starter.
Good Choice. -- And if your league is a Keeper league, then by all means, scoop him up.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#251 » by cloverleaf » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:31 am

cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#252 » by cloverleaf » Tue Sep 3, 2019 10:57 pm

And some good reports on Rob:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#253 » by 5InOfLouisville » Wed Sep 4, 2019 11:36 am

it is always a proud moment when we get to watch a young man begin to put his youthful carefree reverie to the side and enter the adult world of hard work, maturity, and neck tats.

Joking aside, he can tat up whatever part of his body he wants, and I don't really take it as a sign of anything, positive or negative. I am just amused in that I don't believe I've ever seen another article equating neck tattoos and maturity.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#254 » by sam_I_am » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:25 pm

OldCeltics wrote:Poirier, Kanter, Theis are all role players with limited ceilings.

Williams has star potential athleticism and a skill level and BBIQ of a G leaguer. Can he develop the skill before losing his elite athletic ability? Will he ever develop that kind of skill?

I doubt he ever reaches star level but I think he could become a Clint Capella-lite type of complimentary guy. It’s exciting to hear the coaches and Hayward rave about his summer work.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#255 » by Parliament10 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:13 pm

sam_I_am wrote:

Williams has star potential athleticism and a skill level and BBIQ of a G leaguer. Can he develop the skill before losing his elite athletic ability? Will he ever develop that kind of skill?

I doubt he ever reaches star level but I think he could become a Clint Capella-lite type of complimentary guy. It’s exciting to hear the coaches and Hayward rave about his summer work.

Williams seems to have a good general BBIQ. At least, he's a great passer, thereby showing his awareness.
I think that he just didn't always know where to be, as a Rookie.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#256 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:36 pm

3D Chess wrote:

Thanks.

Will largely depend on three things.

1. Poirier. Bit of an unknown, but looks like he will be given the first shot at backup C mins behind Kanter.
2. Injuries. Rob will get chances at the 4 and 5 depending on injuries. We don't have a lot of depth at the 4 spot, but will likely roll out a bunch of small lineups, so there may not be many minutes for him there. Kanter or Poirier get hurt and RW will see mins.
3. Kanter. Can we play him 25-30 mins a night with his poor defense? If not, it might be a C-by-committee rotation which will see RW earn more mins.

Kanter played fine on defense for the blazers. He'll never be a plus defender, but I think he will work his rear end off for brad to learn a defensive system that works. I mean, we did it with KO and IT4 playing together. We can do it with Kanter. It seems last year everyone starting with Kyrie was indifferent to playing team defense, or even trying leaving poor Al all alone.

This year should be different. Can't wait to see what a team that listens to the coach, runs our sets on offense and scheme on defense can actually do.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#257 » by sam_I_am » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:27 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:

Williams seems to have a good general BBIQ. At least, he's a great passer, thereby showing his awareness.
I think that he just didn't always know where to be, as a Rookie.

I agree....but his overall BBIQ up to now is behind where it needs to be to match his talent. Compared to guys like Tatum or Davis who show up NBA ready....Williams has a long way to go. He doesn’t even know how to shoot yet. Again, I agree that his passing shows that he has the capability but for some reason he is overall relatively clueless at times on the court (at NBA level). It would be awesome to see him make a huge leap in that regard this year.....hoping the positive vibe I’m getting from Hayward and Brad means it’s happening.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#258 » by cloverleaf » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:03 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:

it is always a proud moment when we get to watch a young man begin to put his youthful carefree reverie to the side and enter the adult world of hard work, maturity, and neck tats.

Joking aside, he can tat up whatever part of his body he wants, and I don't really take it as a sign of anything, positive or negative. I am just amused in that I don't believe I've ever seen another article equating neck tattoos and maturity.

My guess is if Rob hadn't claimed a connection you still wouldn't have seen such an article. And I would love to see him earn a starting role through the year, as that would mean we have a significantly more balanced and likely better team.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#259 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:49 pm

im with you. I WANT him to be the best center option on the team.

I'm still somewhat skeptical, but also drawn in by flashes of brilliance.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#260 » by Parliament10 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:32 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:im with you. I WANT him to be the best center option on the team.

I'm still somewhat skeptical, but also drawn in by flashes of brilliance.

Same here. -- I think that he'll (R. Williams) eventually become our Starting Center.
But, that's a year or so away.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics