ImageImageImageImage

Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Re: Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2 

Post#81 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:41 am

basketballRob wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:Bamba playing well, also gives us one of the best trade chips come the trade deadline.
Birch on a very good contract. 3M for 2 years could pull a great pick.
That's true, we could move Vucevic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

'Righhhhtttt, because every team could just slide Vuc's contract in at the deadline.

Glad to see you care about your take and not the team.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#82 » by Furinkazan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:59 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:this thread is becomng a Bamba hate fest

Im simply expecting him to slowly and steadily improve and develop.
Accurately describing his rookie year=hate. Standard.
Everyone is expecting him to slowly and steadily develop. Pointing out How awful he was last season isn't hating. Its stating fact. Good thing we had an all star caliber center to carry us. Hopefully Mo pays attention and learns something.

Sent from my VS501 using RealGM mobile app

Im glad you noticed cause its the same with so called (often by you) Vuc haters... hmm so These Vuc haters were just pointing things out and stating the facts for the past few years too.
Ofc last year he stepped up theres no denying but earlier years I could compre it to what you said.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#83 » by drsd » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:03 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:To show us something other than a poor mans Channing Frye. That’s not an unfair expectation. Hopefully it’s a different story moving forward.

If Bamba is the next Channing Frye, that is not a bad selection. Frye was a 13 year vet that was important off of the bench, and he could play emergency starter minutes.

Frye's ability to stretch the floor as a bench big was important over his career; the Magic traded him to Cleveland in a year that the Cavs won their title.

At his peak, Frye was a 12/1/5 player. And he had a 40% three-ball a decade before most Centers would have dared to take such a shot. Plus Bamba will be a better rim protector (although might not be a better defender in general).

In conclusion: I hope Bamba has an at-least Frye career. That would be nice.

p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,971

Post#84 » by p0peye » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:33 pm

ezzzp wrote:
p0peye wrote:Indeed. Friend of mine is a scout for one NBA franchise and occasionally I get a chance to pick his brain. Although he was quite high on Bamba last summer, he's not so much of a fan right now. Nothing regarding to minutes, but him and some of his colleagues are placing question mark on intangibles first and foremost.

hey man, could you elaborate a little on what your friend and his colleagues meant by "question mark on intangibles" ...are they talking about off court stuff/work ethic etc?

Nothing more than what we as fans have seen and been complaining throughout the season, hustle and fire in general with emphasis on defensive side are lacking and that was not expected. It has been perceived as a bit of a red flag in context of Bamba's development.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,500

Post#85 » by thelead » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:06 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
thelead wrote:I would like to see him with a good starting caliber PG. Hint: not anyone he played with last year.

While DJ isn't great PG by any mean, he was pretty damn useful last year.
Also if player X needs others around him to be great to thrive, it's direct knock on his level of talent.

Evan, Vuc and Gordon never in their careers played with top 15 PG.

I like DJ but he’s a sg in a pg’s body. Remember when Jameer and Hedo would lob multiple ally-oops to Dwight? Yeah, DJ can’t do that. AG should be getting so many more dunk attempts but our PG’s can’t find him on cuts often enough.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#86 » by MoMM » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:04 pm

drsd wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:To show us something other than a poor mans Channing Frye. That’s not an unfair expectation. Hopefully it’s a different story moving forward.

If Bamba is the next Channing Frye, that is not a bad selection. Frye was a 13 year vet that was important off of the bench, and he could play emergency starter minutes.

Frye's ability to stretch the floor as a bench big was important over his career; the Magic traded him to Cleveland in a year that the Cavs won their title.

At his peak, Frye was a 12/1/5 player. And he had a 40% three-ball a decade before most Centers would have dared to take such a shot. Plus Bamba will be a better rim protector (although might not be a better defender in general).

It's a shame that our #6 pick could become the next Frye, but I just checked that Channing was drafted at #8, so it's a valid comparison in terms of skills and expectations.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#87 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:03 pm

Furinkazan wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:this thread is becomng a Bamba hate fest

Im simply expecting him to slowly and steadily improve and develop.
Accurately describing his rookie year=hate. Standard.
Everyone is expecting him to slowly and steadily develop. Pointing out How awful he was last season isn't hating. Its stating fact. Good thing we had an all star caliber center to carry us. Hopefully Mo pays attention and learns something.

Im glad you noticed cause its the same with so called (often by you) Vuc haters... hmm so These Vuc haters were just pointing things out and stating the facts for the past few years too.
Ofc last year he stepped up theres no denying but earlier years I could compre it to what you said.
Its one thing to point out flaws another to blindly hate whichis what I reference. You know better than to try and downplay it as mere criticisms.

Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#88 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:05 pm

MoMM wrote:
drsd wrote:

It's a shame that our #6 pick could become the next Frye, but I just checked that Channing was drafted at #8, so it's a valid comparison in terms of skills and expectations.
I don't disagree. But I'm hoping for KP not Channing Frye.

#2A
#Adopt
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#89 » by pepe1991 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:36 pm

thelead wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
thelead wrote:I would like to see him with a good starting caliber PG. Hint: not anyone he played with last year.

Also if player X needs others around him to be great to thrive, it's direct knock on his level of talent.

I like DJ but he’s a sg in a pg’s body. Remember when Jameer and Hedo would lob multiple ally-oops to Dwight? Yeah, DJ can’t do that. AG should be getting so many more dunk attempts but our PG’s can’t find him on cuts often enough.

Dwight was rolling big in every single pick&roll action.
He also played on team with shooters.

Gordon on set defense is not screener and he is not really good at moving without ball or cutting. Therfore having 104 dunk over a season is actually high given how little he is involved in actions that result dunks.

In general dunks are dominated by Cs... And Giannis and Ben Simmons. But they are whole another level of talent.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,500

Post#90 » by thelead » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:29 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
thelead wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Gordon on set defense is not screener and he is not really good at moving without ball or cutting. Therfore having 104 dunk over a season is actually high given how little he is involved in actions that result dunks.

In general dunks are dominated by Cs... And Giannis and Ben Simmons. But they are whole another level of talent.

... it’s a good thing Bamba is an athletic C then...

You know what I meant and you know DJ misses a lot of players. Are you going to now argue that DJ is a pass-first PG?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#91 » by basketballRob » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:35 am

pepe1991 wrote:

True. Vucevic has lost pretty much his whole career but it wasn't his fault. Got it.

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#92 » by pepe1991 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:59 am

thelead wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
thelead wrote:I like DJ but he’s a sg in a pg’s body. Remember when Jameer and Hedo would lob multiple ally-oops to Dwight? Yeah, DJ can’t do that. AG should be getting so many more dunk attempts but our PG’s can’t find him on cuts often enough.

You know what I meant and you know DJ misses a lot of players. Are you going to now argue that DJ is a pass-first PG?

Bamba had fair share of dunks. For 700 min played he had 34 dunks. Birch played lot more and had just 4 dunks more. Vučević had 54 dunks whole season ,playing heavy min.

Dj isn't Rondo or Chris Paul but isn't really that bad. Magic pace also plays major role in dunk counting. You have guys like John Collins who dunked 154 times last year ,but when you see Hawks play it's not hard to figure why. They just run like mad men up and down and half of that points they get are nothing but trading buckets.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#93 » by basketballRob » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:05 am

pepe1991 wrote:
thelead wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Bamba had fair share of dunks. For 700 min played he had 34 dunks. Birch played lot more and had just 4 dunks more. Vučević had 54 dunks whole season ,playing heavy min.

Dj isn't Rondo or Chris Paul but isn't really that bad. Magic pace also plays major role in dunk counting. You have guys like John Collins who dunked 154 times last year ,but when you see Hawks play it's not hard to figure why. They just run like mad men up and down and half of that points they get are nothing but trading buckets.
Bamba is more athletic and a better finisher at the rim is why he had more dunks.

He'll probably have more this year with added strength and a better PG.

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,028

Post#94 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:56 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Accurately describing his rookie year=hate. Standard.

Its one thing to point out flaws another to blindly hate whichis what I reference. You know better than to try and downplay it as mere criticisms.

It's true. People still talking about trading Vuc in this very thread. There's nothing short of winning a championship that he could do that would please some here.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#95 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:00 pm

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

True. Vucevic has lost pretty much his whole career but it wasn't his fault. Got it.

Incorrect. The Magic have lost in spite of Vuc's best efforts. Thankfully, he and Ross put the team on their backs offensively last season for their first winning season since Dwight.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#96 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:07 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:Im glad you noticed cause its the same with so called (often by you) Vuc haters... hmm so These Vuc haters were just pointing things out and stating the facts for the past few years too.

It's true. People still talking about trading Vuc in this very thread. There's nothing short of winning a championship that he could do that would please some here.

Signs team friendly deals, changes game to become more modern by adding a 3pt shot, improved defense, top 5 player at his position (arguably), leads team to the POs, makes an All a Star team.

Needs to be traded doe.. Goal posts will constantly be moved to push a narrative. Maybe one day they’ll be right. Bless their hearts.
#2A
#Adopt
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#97 » by basketballRob » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Its one thing to point out flaws another to blindly hate whichis what I reference. You know better than to try and downplay it as mere criticisms.

Signs team friendly deals, changes game to become more modern by adding a 3pt shot, improved defense, top 5 player at his position (arguably), leads team to the POs, makes an All a Star team.

Needs to be traded doe.. Goal posts will constantly be moved to push a narrative. Maybe one day they’ll be right. Bless their hearts.
He's a really nice asset.

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#98 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:54 am

The Real Dalic wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:Im glad you noticed cause its the same with so called (often by you) Vuc haters... hmm so These Vuc haters were just pointing things out and stating the facts for the past few years too.

Would be very cool if he did some day . . .

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#99 » by MagicMatic » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:52 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:

Showing up in a playoff series would be a good start.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#100 » by The Real Dalic » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:18 am

MagicMatic wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Its one thing to point out flaws another to blindly hate whichis what I reference. You know better than to try and downplay it as mere criticisms.

Showing up in a playoff series would be a good start.

Sure give him mostly anyone else except the playoffs best defense and Marc Gasol who held Joel Embiid to sub-40% shooting as well and he should do better. Either that, or give him some offensive help and defenses won't be able to force him into tough situations the entire game.

Return to Orlando Magic