Find the Lakers a Guard Shot Creator/Maker

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Find the Lakers a Guard Shot Creator/Maker 

Post#1 » by nzahir » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:01 pm

The lakers need a guard who can create for himself and others to an extent, are there any options that are not being seen clearly or have been dismissed for some reason? They need a guy like a FVV.

Lebron, AD, Kuzma, and Danny Green should be closing games out. But who is that 5th guy?

Right now it is a competition between Bradley, KCP, Caruso, Rondo, and Cook.

They all have their pros and cons, but none seems to be perfect

Bradley- If he returns to Boston days of defense, then he is a very good defender who can hit the 3 and cut. But not a creator for himself or others really

KCP- Similar to Avery's skillset, but if Avery is back healthy and playing like how he did a couple years back, then Avery>KCP

Caruso- This is the wilcard. In limited minutes last year he showed he can be a creator for others and himself to an extent. Gives energy on defense and shot the 3 ball very well, but a small sample. If he can be similar to FVV of the last couple of years, then he is perfect.

Rondo- Can create for others and himself even somewhat, but he can't shoot the ball well. Defenders will sag off him. Poor defender now. Even if he is giving energy on defense, the fit and inability to spread the floor is a killer.

Cook- Cant create or defend, but he is a knockdown shooter.

Who are some options to replace these guys?

Dj Augustin for some filler and a future 2nd? Is he even an upgrade? Poor defense
LAL doesn't have enough for FVV without adding Kuzma, but that is an overpay. I would do Kuzma, THT, and filler for OG and FVV.
Spurs wouldn't move Derrick White for Kuzma I assume, but that trade makes a ton of sense for both sides.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,440

Re: Find the Lakers a Guard Shot Creator/Maker 

Post#2 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:16 pm

nzahir wrote:The lakers need a guard who can create for himself and others to an extent, are there any options that are not being seen clearly or have been dismissed for some reason? They need a guy like a FVV.

Lebron, AD, Kuzma, and Danny Green should be closing games out. But who is that 5th guy?

Bradley- If he returns to Boston days of defense, then he is a very good defender who can hit the 3 and cut. But not a creator for himself or others really

KCP- Similar to Avery's skillset, but if Avery is back healthy and playing like how he did a couple years back, then Avery>KCP

Caruso- This is the wilcard. In limited minutes last year he showed he can be a creator for others and himself to an extent. Gives energy on defense and shot the 3 ball very well, but a small sample. If he can be similar to FVV of the last couple of years, then he is perfect.

Rondo- Can create for others and himself even somewhat, but he can't shoot the ball well. Defenders will sag off him. Poor defender now. Even if he is giving energy on defense, the fit and inability to spread the floor is a killer.

Dj Augustin for some filler and a future 2nd? Is he even an upgrade? Poor defense
LAL doesn't have enough for FVV without adding Kuzma, but that is an overpay. I would do Kuzma, THT, and filler for OG and FVV.
Spurs wouldn't move Derrick White for Kuzma I assume, but that trade makes a ton of sense for both sides.

No way Orlando trades Augustine for a SRP.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Post#3 » by psman2 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:34 pm

Clarkson maybe. Cannot think of many shot creators that will be on the market to start the season for what you have to offer. The trade deadline could open up some options if teams are ready to fold on their season.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#4 » by giberish » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:57 am

I don't see the Lakers needing another shot-creator for linups with LeBron and AD, espcially with Kuzma also there. The other two guys are going to be low-usage in those lineups anyway. KCP is fine, and if Bradley can go back to where he was a few years ago then even better.

They really could use another offense-creator for bench lineups. This would be especially valuable for any games where LeBron or AD are out.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:02 am

Outside of Kuzma, if the situation gets desperate, the Lakers really don't have much to trade. That roster is pretty much locked until after deadline when guys start getting bought out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,502

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:25 am

Can I interest you in one Terry Rozier? Comes with Mitch Kupchak and his favorite asset, a pair of 2nd round picks
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#7 » by Resistance » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:36 am

nzahir wrote:The lakers need a guard who can create for himself and others to an extent, are there any options that are not being seen clearly or have been dismissed for some reason? They need a guy like a FVV.

If Kuzma is traded for the guard who can create, then the closing lineup is

LeBron, Davis, Danny Green, Creator Guard, Dudley?
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#8 » by Crives » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:31 am

Do Lakers have 0 1sts to trade after AD?
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#9 » by DanishLakerFan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:45 am

Tough to find that guy at this point and the position is already crowded. Should have added Trey Burke when they had the chance.

Basically have to go into the season with what they have and see what happens. I'm sure they're hoping someone gets bought out they can go after. If not, they'll have to see how big of an issue it is and possibly hit the trade market on december 15th and see what they can get.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#10 » by Coeur » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:02 am

I don’t like any Malik Beasley Trades. Except for Beasley for a 2020 or 22 pick swap. Maybe it’s Beasley and monte Morris or hernangomez for the 20 and 22
GreatSunnyNorth
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#11 » by GreatSunnyNorth » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:39 am

Dragic could fit if the Heat are willing to dump him to get under the tax line. KCP/Bradley/Daniels or KCP/Caruso/Cook would work for salary, and THT could provide a bit of extra value.
Resistance
General Manager

Post#12 » by Resistance » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:56 am

Coeur wrote:I don’t like any Malik Beasley Trades. Except for Beasley for a 2020 or 22 pick swap. Maybe it’s Beasley and monte Morris or hernangomez for the 20 and 22

Denver would be satisfied with first round pick swaps in 2020 and 2022 for Beasley and Morris? I thought that they would want more than that. What happens if New Orleans gets the 2022 first instead of the 2021 first?
Resistance
General Manager

Post#13 » by Resistance » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:14 am

GreatSunnyNorth wrote:Dragic could fit if the Heat are willing to dump him to get under the tax line. KCP/Bradley/Daniels or KCP/Caruso/Cook would work for salary, and THT could provide a bit of extra value.

Having enough open roster spots could be a problem for Miami.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,141

Post#14 » by marcush » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:05 am

Toronto should not be interested in a FVV for Kuzma trade.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,666

Post#15 » by Diop » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:26 am

Batum
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#16 » by LofJ » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:29 pm

Diop wrote:Batum

The only way that happens is if he's bought out. Lmao at MJ ever doing that, although he's a perfect fit for what the Lakers need.

Realistically, I think the best player the Lakers will be able to get is Jordan Clarkson. The Cavs have way too many guards and will likely buy out at least one (if not two) of Clarkson, Knight, and Dellavadova.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,666

Post#17 » by Diop » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:41 pm

LofJ wrote:
Diop wrote:Batum

The only way that happens is if he's bought out. Lmao at MJ ever doing that, although he's a perfect fit for what the Lakers need.

Realistically, I think the best player the Lakers will be able to get is Jordan Clarkson. The Cavs have way too many guards and will likely buy out at least one (if not two) of Clarkson, Knight, and Dellavadova.

To be fair I offer Batum in pretty much every thread on here
nzahir
RealGM

Post#18 » by nzahir » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:02 pm

Resistance wrote:

If Kuzma is traded for the guard who can create, then the closing lineup is

LeBron, Davis, Danny Green, Creator Guard, Dudley?

Possibly, unless they get Iggy on a buyout

Or maybe KCP/Avery can close if they need more speed and less size

If Goran Dragic gets bought out he is a great get. But this likely only happens in a cp3 trade I think
nzahir
RealGM

Post#19 » by nzahir » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:02 pm

Crives wrote:Do Lakers have 0 1sts to trade after AD?

I dont believe so because of the 1st round swaps
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:45 pm

nzahir wrote:
Crives wrote:Do Lakers have 0 1sts to trade after AD?

I dont believe so because of the 1st round swaps

But you could only trade the swap rights for more swap rights.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Trades and Transactions