NBA Teams And NBA Era Team USA Have Lost 36 Times To International Teams

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,016

Re: 12 NBA Players Team USA's 9 Losses In FIBA Play Since 2002 

Post#21 » by sunsbg » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:45 pm

Pumpkin17 wrote:I am italian. No one in their right mind should think that USA basketball is on the same level as the rest of the world. Team USA is fielding each time a casual team in the wc after dozens of renounces, playing with a team where no one is used to play with each other and with different rules. I like it more because tje competition is actually more balanced, but if we want to be realistic USA can still field 5 or 6 teams capable of winning WC each time, if only players would care or would have the same preparation/cohesion of the rest of the world.

World is closing the gap, but making a news of each loss is just nonsensical. Americans don't care, and rightfully so, they are on a whole different level.

Lebron, etc may not care, but saying the players on the team don't care is stupid. No one is used to play with each other ? Last I checked there are 4 Celtics players, 2 Bucks and all play in the same league, which is not the case for most other teams. I would say USA ISO style is simply not working that well in FIBA competitions when they don't have their absolute best players on the floor. Still there are quite a few people around here, who would try to convince you that every NBA role player, that is now called a G-Leaguer because of the loss, is going to dominate Euroleague.
SkyhookinUrMom
Junior
And1: 351

Post#22 » by SkyhookinUrMom » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:47 pm

Discussing a team USA loss is anti-american

You cant make this **** up
Pumpkin17
Junior
And1: 453

Post#23 » by Pumpkin17 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:08 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Pumpkin17 wrote:I am italian. No one in their right mind should think that USA basketball is on the same level as the rest of the world. Team USA is fielding each time a casual team in the wc after dozens of renounces, playing with a team where no one is used to play with each other and with different rules. I like it more because tje competition is actually more balanced, but if we want to be realistic USA can still field 5 or 6 teams capable of winning WC each time, if only players would care or would have the same preparation/cohesion of the rest of the world.

World is closing the gap, but making a news of each loss is just nonsensical. Americans don't care, and rightfully so, they are on a whole different level.

Lebron, etc may not care, but saying the players on the team don't care is stupid. No one is used to play with each other ? Last I checked there are 4 Celtics players, 2 Bucks and all play in the same league, which is not the case for most other teams. I would say USA ISO style is simply not working that well in FIBA competitions when they don't have their absolute best players on the floor. Still there are quite a few people around here, who would try to convince you that every NBA role player, that is now called a G-Leaguer because of the loss, is going to dominate Euroleague.

Playing in the same league is not the same as playing in the same national team with the same coach year after year, with different rules.And yes, they probably don't care about a friendly game vs Australia or Italy or whatever.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Post#24 » by RCM88x » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:11 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:I'm starting to get an Anti-American vibe from these threads. Every. Single. Loss. Is brought up and made into a thread this summer. I don't even know of anyone that's excited or watching the team this year. No one in America seems to care about Fiba. Only the Olympics. People get so excited after every loss. I haven't watched a second of a Team USA game and I know they lost at least 3 times and another time to a G-League squad in practice, just because of the amount of threads. I haven't seen a thread about a win though.

The only thing I cared about this Fiba Tournament was how Montenegro, Nigeria, and France was doing because of Nikola Vucevic, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Evan Fournier. That's it.

For some reason, 90% of this forum always puts the Olympics and FIBA as two separate things.......however, FIBA runs and controls the Olympics basketball. It's the same exact thing. The Olympics only has a say in where the tournament is held, and how many teams can play. FIBA controls everything else.

It really makes no sense why American NBA fans consider it to be separate things. It isn't, the Olympics basketball is part of FIBA, not a separate entity.

The NBA runs and controls the G-League too, and no one cares about that.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,709

Post#25 » by AussieCeltic » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:18 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:I'm starting to get an Anti-American vibe from these threads. Every. Single. Loss. Is brought up and made into a thread this summer. I don't even know of anyone that's excited or watching the team this year. No one in America seems to care about Fiba. Only the Olympics. People get so excited after every loss. I haven't watched a second of a Team USA game and I know they lost at least 3 times and another time to a G-League squad in practice, just because of the amount of threads. I haven't seen a thread about a win though.

The only thing I cared about this Fiba Tournament was how Montenegro, Nigeria, and France was doing because of Nikola Vucevic, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Evan Fournier. That's it.

It gets brought up because all we here is how the USA is so great and even this team can’t lose. I got laughed at when I said USA will be in trouble with this squad. We get it, USA with a full squad had the best individuals in the world but there are plenty of great teams that can beat them
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Pumpkin17
Junior

Post#26 » by Pumpkin17 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:26 pm

Just to make this simple:

Team A
G Curry
G Thompson
F Iguodala
F D Green
C Cauley Stein

Team B
G Rondo
G LBJ
F Kuzma
F Davis
C Howard

Team C
G Beverley
G Shamet
F Leonard
F George
C Harrell

Team D
G Westbrook
G Harden
F Gordon
F Tucker
C B Lopez

Team E
G Lillard
G McCollum
F DeRozan
F Aldridge
C Whiteside

Insert ALL STAR LEVEL bench players or super role players from the rest of the west and the WHOLE EAST to fill the rosters, or just use actual benches replacing non US players.

If you think any of these teams properly coached year after year would have any minor problem at storming the WC you are just delusional. And i have not put thought into it.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by sunsbg » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Pumpkin17 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

Playing in the same league is not the same as playing in the same national team with the same coach year after year, with different rules.And yes, they probably don't care about a friendly game vs Australia or Italy or whatever.

I don't know how it's in Italy, but most international teams don't have a life-long coach. The juniors just learn a certain style, more team oriented that suits better under FIBA rules. Indeed, USA can field 5-6 very good/great teams, no one denies it. You would expect they can find 12 motivated players out of all those teams, so they don't care is pretty lame argument. You can come with better teams than those below, I can see Serbia giving trouble to all your lineups under FIBA rules. The teams mentioned in the OP that beat USA will have no trouble with any of them.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,043

Post#28 » by Sixerscan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:12 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:FIBA on its own has no prestige. Olympics is the most prestigious thing in sports, its like an Oscar for athletes. Every athlete dreams of winning an Olympic medal.

That's only because Stankovic made a colossal blunder when he allowed NBA players into the Olympics, and not just the World Cup. If he had done what he should have, then the World Cup of basketball would be the only thing Team USA cared about.

To this day, that colossal blunder by Stankovic is wrecking FIBA.

In football, the players don't generally give a damn about the Olympics - they care about the World Cup, as it should be, and that has all the prestige, not the Olympics, as it should be. The same should be for basketball, but Stankovic made an incredibly dumb decision and ruined things.

That one one sport event football World Cup, rivals the whole entirety of the Olympics (even with the men's basketball event). So it actually has nothing to do with the Olympics and everything to do with the pure idiocy of allowing the NBA to choose the Olympcis instead of the World Cup. FIFA doesn't allow that and neither should FIBA.

So now basketball is the only major sport in the world that pretends its world championship is meaningless.......

I don't think the top level NBA players would care about this tournament even if the Olympics weren't an option. The appeal of the Olympics isn't really the actual playing of basketball, it's more being part of the Olympics.

The soccer world cup has 100 years or whatever of tradition, it predates the era of athletes being super rich, more of the world cares about the sport and one country doesn't have more than half the talent. It's just different, it can stand on its own.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,069

Post#29 » by og15 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:19 pm

I was so confused because I thought I just saw a highlight recap of them playing and US won, didn't realize they were playing more than one game.

Nice job by Australia. US team looks pretty small btw, doesn't seem like a lot of bigs on the team.
Pumpkin17
Junior

Post#30 » by Pumpkin17 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:27 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Pumpkin17 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

I don't know how it's in Italy, but most international teams don't have a life-long coach. The juniors just learn a certain style, more team oriented that suits better under FIBA rules. Indeed, USA can field 5-6 very good/great teams, no one denies it. You would expect they can find 12 motivated players out of all those teams, so they don't care is pretty lame argument. You can come with better teams than those below, I can see Serbia giving trouble to all your lineups under FIBA rules. The teams mentioned in the OP that beat USA will have no trouble with any of them.

Ahahahahahah, you are basically saying that these Serbia would give problems to the warriors or to improved top west teams. Cause thesw were the lineups. Or Australia or Italy. No point in discussing further my friend, enjoy your friendly win, nothing wrong in being happy :beer:
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by sunsbg » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Pumpkin17 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Pumpkin17 wrote:

Ahahahahahah, you are basically saying that these Serbia would give problems to the warriors or to improved top west teams. Cause thesw were the lineups. Or Australia or Italy. No point in discussing further my friend, enjoy your friendly win, nothing wrong in being happy :beer:

I can say all I want and you can't prove me wrong as we will never see games under FIBA rules between these teams. ;) Cheers! :)
Dtown84
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#32 » by Dtown84 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:37 pm

I'm not sure if the World Cup would have meant more to Americans if Pros had been allowed there, and not the Olympics. Olympic basketball had a lot more historical importance through the 70/80s because the Olympics itself was basically a proxy battle in the Cold War between the US and Soviet Union. Winning in that carried a weight and importance that the FIBA World Cup never had.

IMO the only thing that will make the World Cup important is the US taking loses there. Getting our asses kicked from 02-06 was what brought about the undefeated streak, because then it was a matter of Pride. Winning back to back Olympics and World Cups killed any of that urgency.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,480

Post#33 » by old skool » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:58 pm

FIBA is not important in the US because it is never more than a sideshow in the basketball year. It comes at an awkward time of year, when players do not want to exert themselves. While they have added some structure since Colangelo got involved, Team USA is some level of All-Star team thrown together for a few weeks. Something like a dozen games and two dozen practices. It is not high level basketball. That is why players are not always excited to play. That is why fans often prefer that their key players sit out , rather than risk being overworked or injured. That is why US basketball fans don't care about FIBA.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Pumpkin17
Junior

Post#34 » by Pumpkin17 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:00 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Pumpkin17 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

I can say all I want and you can't prove me wrong as we will never see games under FIBA rules between these teams. ;) Cheers! :)

Oh sure, by the same logic we could also say that me, you, Charlie Brown, Rihanna and 50yo Shaq could beat the current Warriors in a FIBA set cause hey we will never see the game....

But here's the trick: there are other 28 NBA teams with 28 well paid GMs which could assemble the current Serbia with maybe less than half their current payroll and no competition. And give troubles to an improved version of the Warriors, in your opinion and in a FIBA set (i guess in an NBA set they maybe cannot win the ship but at least reach the playoffs?........ ).
Then why exactly all these very smart and well paid GMs are not doing that? I guess you, Joe Ingles and Baynes are a lot smarter and planning to take the league by surprise behind the scenes...
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,494

Post#35 » by The4thHorseman » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:09 pm

No mention that it was just an exhibition game?

I'm not suggesting that the U.S didn't try or care, but the start of the WC is still a week away when the games actually count.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by sunsbg » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:46 pm

Pumpkin17 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Pumpkin17 wrote:

Oh sure, by the same logic we could also say that me, you, Charlie Brown, Rihanna and 50yo Shaq could beat the current Warriors in a FIBA set cause hey we will never see the game....

But here's the trick: there are other 28 NBA teams with 28 well paid GMs which could assemble the current Serbia with maybe less than half their current payroll and no competition. And give troubles to an improved version of the Warriors, in your opinion and in a FIBA set (i guess in an NBA set they maybe cannot win the ship but at least reach the playoffs?........ ).
Then why exactly all these very smart and well paid GMs are not doing that? I guess you, Joe Ingles and Baynes are a lot smarter and planning to take the league by surprise behind the scenes...

Replace 50yo Shaq with 50Cent and we are set.

My point is you don't even know how the Warriors will play under FIBA rules. Space, hand checking, zones, etc.., so don't be so sure Curry will be running circles around, Green will have the space he has in NBA game to operate. Even Duncan(The big fundamental) didn't look the same in international games.

Let's wait and see if Serbia or any other team gives trouble to a motivated now USA team in a week. If that's the case I hope you will agree there is a chance they do it against the Warriors team too.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,695

Post#37 » by Benedict_Boozer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:07 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:No mention that it was just an exhibition game?

I'm not suggesting that the U.S didn't try or care, but the start of the WC is still a week away when the games actually count.

This is what I was wondering - do people really count exhibition games as losses?

Don't other teams like Spain intentionally throw those games to hide strategy, etc.

Seems like a stretch to get hyped about beating the US in a friendly....no one cares.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,600

Post#38 » by UcanUwill » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:09 pm

Benedict_Boozer wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:No mention that it was just an exhibition game?

This is what I was wondering - do people really count exhibition games as losses?

Don't other teams like Spain intentionally throw those games to hide strategy, etc.

Seems like a stretch to get hyped about beating the US in a friendly....no one cares.

Thats defeinitely true, but USA hasnt been losing any friendlies since 2004. In 2004 they were losing in friendlies, and there was this confusion are they hiding something or are they really not that good, and we know how that ended up.
JeepCSC
Starter
And1: 1,491

Post#39 » by JeepCSC » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:13 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:I understand that and it's obviously true. But the Olympics is only preferred by NBA players as a marketing and money angle. Basketball-wise it's the same thing, only actually the World Cup is an obviously bigger and higher level tournament, with a lot more good teams than the Olympics.

It makes sense why NBA players want the focus on the Olympics (because of money), and why Americans in general focus on it, but for basketball fans specifically (like in this forum), it's actually counter intuitive........because from a basketball standpoint, the World Cup is a far superior competition to Olympics basketball.

Just because NBA players want the focus of the Olympic media spotlight and marketing money, does not mean sports and basketball fans in USA should fail to understand the FIBA World Cup is a much better competition.

Is it tougher competition because the best basketball players in the world skip it? Even if it is better quality, it has no visibility here. I could probably watch tape delayed bowling easier.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Re: USA Teams With 12 NBA Players Have Lost 17 Times In FIBA Play Since 2002 

Post#40 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:24 pm

2019 FIBA World Cup Quarterfinals:

France 89 - USA 79

Make it 10 losses since 2002. This 2019 FIBA World Cup proved that just a team of 12 NBA rotation players, even if several of them are starters, isn't enough to win even a bronze medal against international competition. Even though lots of teams missed key players at the tournament.

The whole idea that most American sports fans and commentators and "analysts", and even NBA executives and coaches have - that the worst player in the NBA would automatically be the best player anywhere else in the world, is obviously ludicrous and absolutely untrue.

Return to The General Board