Find the Lakers a Guard Shot Creator/Maker

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Re: Find the Lakers a Guard Shot Creator/Maker 

Post#21 » by nzahir » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:04 pm

LofJ wrote:
Diop wrote:Batum

The only way that happens is if he's bought out. Lmao at MJ ever doing that, although he's a perfect fit for what the Lakers need.

Realistically, I think the best player the Lakers will be able to get is Jordan Clarkson. The Cavs have way too many guards and will likely buy out at least one (if not two) of Clarkson, Knight, and Dellavadova.

I think lakers need a combo guard, not really a guy like batum. Someone has to guard other teams pg
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#22 » by Crives » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:33 pm

What about Kris Dunn for two seconds?
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#23 » by Coeur » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Resistance wrote:
Coeur wrote:I don’t like any Malik Beasley Trades. Except for Beasley for a 2020 or 22 pick swap. Maybe it’s Beasley and monte Morris or hernangomez for the 20 and 22

Denver would be satisfied with first round pick swaps in 2020 and 2022 for Beasley and Morris? I thought that they would want more than that. What happens if New Orleans gets the 2022 first instead of the 2021 first?

Then the 22 pick swap prob isn’t allowed to be in a trade??

Yeah that’s still tough. I love Beasley. If Nugs don’t trade Gary Harris and Barton the Beasley prob walks next season.

And the trade might not make any sense to some. My justification is I honestly believe the Lakers miss the playoffs this season. Even w Beasley. And tthe 22 swap if possible would have great trade value or a great chance at another lottery pick
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#24 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:33 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
nzahir wrote:
Crives wrote:Do Lakers have 0 1sts to trade after AD?

I dont believe so because of the 1st round swaps

But you could only trade the swap rights for more swap rights.

They can trade the 2026 1st today, but mostly, without getting back another 1st somehow, they can really only offer swaps, and even then, some years it would only be offering swaps AFTER New Orleans has already had the right to swap. If the 2021 1st conveys to New Orleans, then LA could then subsequently offer a swap of the 2022 1st.

Any offer of a 1st right now for the Lakers would have a lot of contingent legal language attached in terms of "Unless New Orleans exercises..." or "After New Orleans exercises it's....".

Crives wrote:What about Kris Dunn for two seconds?

LA doesn't have a 2nd to offer until 2023 at the earliest right now.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:35 pm

Coeur wrote:
Resistance wrote:
Coeur wrote:I don’t like any Malik Beasley Trades. Except for Beasley for a 2020 or 22 pick swap. Maybe it’s Beasley and monte Morris or hernangomez for the 20 and 22

Denver would be satisfied with first round pick swaps in 2020 and 2022 for Beasley and Morris? I thought that they would want more than that. What happens if New Orleans gets the 2022 first instead of the 2021 first?

Then the 22 pick swap prob isn’t allowed to be in a trade??

It would have to be spelled out as something like, "Right to swap picks in 2022, protected fully for if LA does not convey pick in 2021 per previous trade with New Orleans. If pick conveys fully to New Orleans in 2022, then Denver's right to swap is extinguished", or some other such language.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,474

Post#26 » by jayjaysee » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:50 pm

I was trying to come up with a Brunson trade that makes sense, as he doesn’t require waiting for salary matching and Dallas has the PG depth to survive... but LAL has no medium value assets.

And I don’t really think Kuz fits between Luka/KP - but Dallas doesn’t really have the talent to get him anyways.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#27 » by nzahir » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:35 pm

Crives wrote:What about Kris Dunn for two seconds?

Mehh

Think lal is just better off with cook spacing floor at that point. Or Avery/kcp.

This is assuming Caruso doesn’t take that step forward.

Hoping Darren collision decides to unretire or dragic gets bought out.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#28 » by Mr Peanut » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:16 pm

Do the Lakers need a Maker of the Thon variety?

Asking for a friend.
I_Love_This_Game!!
Pro Prospect
And1: 70

Post#29 » by I_Love_This_Game!! » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:57 pm

BRK trades / LAL receive: Dinwiddie, Prince

LAL trade / BRK receives: Kuzma, KCP, Rondo

Why this trade works for the Nets: NJ does not have a starting caliber PF. With the acquisition of Kuz, they get one. KCP is a 3 and D wing who can give quality minutes behind LeVert. Rondo becomes the primary backup to Irving.

Why this trade works for the Lakers: Kuz may become a great player, but he plays the same position as Davis. And, Davis does not want to play C. So, where are Kuz's minutes coming from? Rather than keep him, the Lakers trade Kuz to fill a position of need: PG. Dinwiddie becomes the starter at point. Prince backs up the forward positions.

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
My Dream Team
PG...Magic Johnson...Steph Curry
SG...Michael Jordan...Kobe Bryant
SF...Larry Bird...LeBron James
PF...Tim Duncan...Charles Barkley
C...Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...Wilt Chamberlain
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#30 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:46 am

Think Lakers trading anybody for a guard would be a mistake. Lebron showed me last year that he doesn't have much interest in off ball play. Any PG on LAL wouldn't be much more than a spot up shooter and defense

Now if Lakers can get a buyout guard, that's a different story.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#31 » by nzahir » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:53 am

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Think Lakers trading anybody for a guard would be a mistake. Lebron showed me last year that he doesn't have much interest in off ball play. Any PG on LAL wouldn't be much more than a spot up shooter and defense

That is why I am talking more so of a combo guard

A guy that can create for himself when Lebron isn't in or isn't handling (he can only handle the ball so much, especially at age 35 these playoffs). Or when Lebron and AD have basically 3 guys on them, can they trust another guy to score and make a shot that isn't just an open 3. Like put the ball on the floor and attack rim and hit a jumper. I think Caruso may be that guy tbh, but we will see.

Kyrie was a perfect fit next to him. Mo will was a combo guard and he was a good fit too (playoff choker though :banghead: )
nzahir
RealGM

Post#32 » by nzahir » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:08 am

Patty Mills maybe?

Wish lakers grabbed Barea even over rondo
nzahir
RealGM

Post#33 » by nzahir » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:11 am

I_Love_This_Game!! wrote:BRK trades / LAL receive: Dinwiddie, Prince

LAL trade / BRK receives: Kuzma, KCP, Rondo

Why this trade works for the Nets: NJ does not have a starting caliber PF. With the acquisition of Kuz, they get one. KCP is a 3 and D wing who can give quality minutes behind LeVert. Rondo becomes the primary backup to Irving.

Why this trade works for the Lakers: Kuz may become a great player, but he plays the same position as Davis. And, Davis does not want to play C. So, where are Kuz's minutes coming from? Rather than keep him, the Lakers trade Kuz to fill a position of need: PG. Dinwiddie becomes the starter at point. Prince backs up the forward positions.

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app

Idk if I would do this if I am LA. Dinwiddie isn't a great shooter either

Kuzma has potential to be this teams 3rd scorer and our 6th man who closes games when AD slides to the 5 (which he will do or at least do in the playoffs. Shams even said it today and it is obvious he will close games at the 5). And in 2-3 years Lebron may have left and or started to decline a bit.

I would be fine with Kuzma for Derrick White though
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#34 » by pacers33granger » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:28 am

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Think Lakers trading anybody for a guard would be a mistake. Lebron showed me last year that he doesn't have much interest in off ball play. Any PG on LAL wouldn't be much more than a spot up shooter and defense

Have to agree with this. Ideally you'd want just another guard who can hit threes and reliably hold his position on defense. Unfortunately, a lot of teams want that. Just give the minutes to Cook and Caruso and hope for a buyout guy. Still have no clue why they retained Rondo for a variety of reasons.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#35 » by nzahir » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:58 pm

pacers33granger wrote:

Have to agree with this. Ideally you'd want just another guard who can hit threes and reliably hold his position on defense. Unfortunately, a lot of teams want that. Just give the minutes to Cook and Caruso and hope for a buyout guy. Still have no clue why they retained Rondo for a variety of reasons.

This is what I am saying by shot creator/maker

Need a guy who can play some d, hit a shot, and create a bit when all the focus is on AD and Bron

Collison would have been great until he freaking retired

Cook can hit the 3 ball, but poor defender. And he really cant create much off dribble

Caruso may be able to do all 3 adequately, if he can, then its enough. Rondo should NEVER play while Lebron is in. Lebron should only play with Caruso, Cook, KCP, Avery, and Danny Green as guards
21 TD
Junior
And1: 131

Post#36 » by 21 TD » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:21 pm

Paul or Lowry would be ideal, but they don't have the requisite expiring's to make it work.

Schroder is obviously not a great fit, but he's probably the best they can do trade wise. If they're able to get Iguodala, Caldwell-Pope could become expendable. Add Cousins and either Cook or Caruso to make it work.

Knight and T. Johnson are prime buyout candidates. Thomas is another possibility. Lin too, if he shows signs of life in China.

nzahir wrote:Rondo should NEVER play while Lebron is in. Lebron should only play with Caruso, Cook, KCP, Avery, and Danny Green as guards

I realize Vogel later claimed nothing had been decided, but that's what I took the James to start PG report to mean.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#37 » by Coeur » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:54 pm

I want him for my Nugs but they won’t and prob nobody will get is the real perfect guy for the Lakers. Bogdan Bogdanovic

I really don’t think the Lakers even make the playoffs if they don’t do something extreme. Like trade kuzma and all pick swaps possible or picks or whatever for something like Bogdanovic, Malik Beasley, hernangomez or monte Morris type group coming in.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#38 » by gambitx777 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:35 am

The rondo thing was the only blaring mistake the Lakers made this off season imo. They have enough guards and they have LeBron. They should have kept that spot open for another big or another wing defender. I look for them to have to cut boogie I know that's cold hearted but he's dead money anyway, pay him and bring in a warm body.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Post#39 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:17 am

Lakers don't have assets to get VanVleet without Kuzma and IMHO they shouldn't do that deal
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#40 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:25 am

If only they had dumped off Kuzma and kept Ingram....

Return to Trades and Transactions