ImageImageImageImageImage

I think Omari Spellman ends up being a steal for the Warriors.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

I think Omari Spellman ends up being a steal for the Warriors. 

Post#1 » by killmongrel » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:15 pm

I get the feeling this guy knows his career might depend on what he does in the next few months. If the Warriors aren't enough for him to realize he might be heading towards a fork in the road for his NBA life, then I don't know what will. It's little evidence, but seeing him already looking fitter in that Instagram post gives me the feeling that this guy is going to show up in camp in better shape than he's been in the past year. And I think he plays like a demon, especially since the Warriors don't have too long to evaluate him.

I honestly think the Warriors just landed themselves a good rotational player at worst. What makes it better is that all we had to do to get him is get rid a 2nd round pick and a player we wanted gone.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Re: I think Omari Spellman ends up being a steal for the Warriors. 

Post#2 » by Samurai » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:49 pm

killmongrel wrote:I get the feeling this guy knows his career might depend on what he does in the next few months. If the Warriors aren't enough for him to realize he might be heading towards a fork in the road for his NBA life, then I don't know what will. It's little evidence, but seeing him already looking fitter in that Instagram post gives me the feeling that this guy is going to show up in camp in better shape than he's been in the past year. And I think he plays like a demon, especially since the Warriors don't have too long to evaluate him.

I honestly think the Warriors just landed themselves a good rotational player at worst. What makes it better is that all we had to do to get him is get rid a 2nd round pick and a player we wanted gone.

I hope you are right. I think both Spellman and GR3 are looking at the proverbial fork in the road and they both need to really show they can bounce back or it could be a short career. Spellman needs to be in good shape and prove he can be an effective stretch big. GR3 must show that he can still be the player that he was in Indy and not the terrible Detroit version of last year.
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#3 » by BigRedDog » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:03 pm

I don't know. Usually when guys have truly awful rookie seasons it usually portends they are on their way out of the league, not on the verge of a break-out. He's already 22 too so he probably doesn't really have anymore upside if he doesn't show massive improvement this year.

H e can'/t ddefend, finish around the basket, or really do anything while in possession of the ball. He's a decent outside shooter. He reminds me of a poor man's Trey Lyles. Maybe closer to a homeless man's Trey Lyles.

The fact that a team absolutely devoid of talent like the Atlanta Hawks released a guy on a rookie contract that they drafted a few months prior should give you a pretty good indication of how bad he truly was last year.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,654

Post#4 » by Coxy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:45 pm

Yeah not holding my breathe on him. Guys with unstoppable mouth pleasure issues tend to stick to over consumption long term. He’s admitted to not being very professional, and for a guy like him that needs to stay in his best shape and only play a handful of minutes each game, it will be easy for him to get lazy and start the haz cheeseburger bingeing once more,

Let’s hope he can get inspired and embrace being an athlete.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#5 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:47 pm

GR3 has the athleticism that will keep teams coming back to give him another shot.

Omari's got to survive by working hard and doing his homework on D. His skills are not as valued as they once were, so he gets to stay in the NBA by proving he can play defense, and that starts with maximizing his fitness. I hope he does it because I loved watching him in college.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#6 » by killmongrel » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:48 pm

BigRedDog wrote:I don't know. Usually when guys have truly awful rookie seasons it usually portends they are on their way out of the league, not on the verge of a break-out. He's already 22 too so he probably doesn't really have anymore upside if he doesn't show massive improvement this year.

H e can'/t ddefend, finish around the basket, or really do anything while in possession of the ball. He's a decent outside shooter. He reminds me of a poor man's Trey Lyles. Maybe closer to a homeless man's Trey Lyles.

The fact that a team absolutely devoid of talent like the Atlanta Hawks released a guy on a rookie contract that they drafted a few months prior should give you a pretty good indication of how bad he truly was last year.

It's quite possible. And it's quite possible that the Hawks just took such a personal offense to Omari showing up to SL overweight. I read that the Hawks had given him a challenge to lose weight over the summer. And in response, Omari had shown up heavier than before. I could see the Hawks FO just being okay with letting him go for such disrespect, especially since they have a stud in John Collins at PF, and a lot of capspace to fill any need they have next summer. I honestly believe that Omari's lack of discipline with his weight is the thing preventing him from having played to his potential. And that's why I think we'll see it this season. The thing is, it is such a low risk/high reward move. It doesn't take much to prove to be a more useful player than Jones. But I think Omari exceeds expectations.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#7 » by Samurai » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:53 pm

BigRedDog wrote:I don't know. Usually when guys have truly awful rookie seasons it usually portends they are on their way out of the league, not on the verge of a break-out. He's already 22 too so he probably doesn't really have anymore upside if he doesn't show massive improvement this year.

Agree that his post-up game needs to improve, but not sure if it's fair to say he "can't defend". Sample size for his rookie season is an issue, so here are some of the defensive comments from his Bleacher Report scouting report coming out of Villanova:

"Spellman slides his feet well for a man his size. He also does a good job using his length against perimeter players, giving enough space that he can recover if a guard tries to drive past him. The ability to defend multiple positions and switch onto a guard in the pick-and-roll will serve him well and get him on the court immediately. Spellman's girth and strong lower body help him hold his ground against bigger players. He needs to work on his body and add quickness, which is something he improved greatly at Villanova.

Spellman's shot-blocking numbers were lower than you'd think—he had a 5.5 percent block rate—but he's effective at using his long wingspan and challenging shots around the rim. He has a tendency to give his opponent too much space on the catch, and that's an area where getting slightly quicker will give him the confidence to close off that space. He's a terrific defensive rebounder and can grab errant shots outside of his area. That skill and his defensive versatility will make it easy to play him as a rookie. If he gets quicker, he could become an asset as a defender."
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#8 » by xdrta+ » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:28 pm

I think he's here for the duration of this year for sure, but the Warriors have to decide by Oct 31 whether to exercise his rookie option for the following year, at $1.9M.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,782

Post#9 » by floppymoose » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:16 pm

Regardless of whether our rookies are good or bad in the long run, i expect them to suck this year. And i expect all our bench signings to suck except WCS.

Curry is going to have to will this team to a 6 seed.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#10 » by Quazza » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:04 am

has anyone seen anything about him since we signed him? Hoping there's some footage or something of him working his ass off

(like I've seen from all our other new guys )
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#11 » by killmongrel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:19 am

Quazza wrote:has anyone seen anything about him since we signed him? Hoping there's some footage or something of him working his ass off

Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#12 » by Quazza » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:17 am

killmongrel wrote:
Quazza wrote:has anyone seen anything about him since we signed him? Hoping there's some footage or something of him working his ass off

yeah saw that post. Doesn't really show a lot

The hash tag is kind of alarming #BackInMyElement ...... so wtf has he been doing til now?
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,654

Post#13 » by Coxy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:26 am

Quazza wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

yeah saw that post. Doesn't really show a lot

The hash tag is kind of alarming #BackInMyElement ...... so wtf has he been doing til now?

I can be overly critical a lot of the time, so I'll keep my track record intact here and throw my fist in the air about him training with a chain around his neck. Why have that thing dangling all over the place whilst your being an athlete? Just take the damn thing off and get to work you plonker.
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#14 » by BigRedDog » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:44 am

He doesnt look comfortable handling the ball there. Looks like he's about to carry the ball or perhaps he lost control of it while he was trying to figure out if he should pass it before he turns it over.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#15 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:50 pm

I'm higher on Spellman than most will be. However, that is dependent on him being is relatively good shape. He's already way down from 293 though.

I think he's going to be that Mo Speights long range 5 we've been looking for. And I think he's going to be pretty decent playing defense. He's very skilled for his size, and if he gets that body right, those skills will show out.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#16 » by BigRedDog » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Maybe being around Draymond will be good for him. I dont know he was very big and slow last year so perhaps once we see him get in shape his skills will start to translate more.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#17 » by HiRez » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:59 pm

For what they’re paying him, there isn’t much to lose. Anytime you can pick up a first round pick for cheap who hasn’t definitively shown he can’t play basketball, it’s a good move. We have a handful of guys who could have a breakout year and Spellman is definitely one of them.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#18 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:57 pm

BigRedDog wrote:He doesnt look comfortable handling the ball there. Looks like he's about to carry the ball or perhaps he lost control of it while he was trying to figure out if he should pass it before he turns it over.

Or maybe someone just kicked him the ball, jeez bro, you are searching for negativity.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#19 » by killmongrel » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:29 am

HiRez wrote:For what they’re paying him, there isn’t much to lose. Anytime you can pick up a first round pick for cheap who hasn’t definitively shown he can’t play basketball, it’s a good move. We have a handful of guys who could have a breakout year and Spellman is definitely one of them.

Exactly. We're dealing with a situation where a fixable issue, Omari's weight, might be the only obstacle when it comes to really seeing what kind of player her is. Like I said, I think this is a situation where the Hawks gave up way too easy on him due to being disrespected. Warriors have an opportunity to find themselves with a solid rotational player on the cheap for the next couplel years.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#20 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:51 am

Mylie10 wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:He doesnt look comfortable handling the ball there. Looks like he's about to carry the ball or perhaps he lost control of it while he was trying to figure out if he should pass it before he turns it over.

Or maybe someone just kicked him the ball, jeez bro, you are searching for negativity.

I assumed they were joking around.

Return to Golden State Warriors