Bojan breakdown?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,088

Bojan breakdown? 

Post#1 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:04 am

I haven't seen much of Bojan in action. What can I expect from him, good and bad?
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Re: Bojan breakdown? 

Post#2 » by Grang33r » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:10 am

Hey, thanks for stopping by. I think you guys will like him. From a personal standpoint, he's just a quiet guy, very humble and will represent your organization very well. On the court, he's a scorer. If you're looking for a shutdown defender or rebounder, he's not it. He's improved all his shooting #'s this season, including become a pretty solid 3-point shooter. I don't have the advanced stats but i always view of him as a excellent player around the rim. When he drives to the rim, he usually scores. His best days as a NBA player have all come in Indiana and when Oladipo went down with his season ending injury Bojan became our go-to player on offense, and he succeeded, he had excellent #'s after Oladipo went out, so i don't think you'll find too much negative comments from Pacers fans.

Given his age, i am one who isn't too disappointed that we've moved on. I've been hoping the team would go younger and more athletic, given where we are with our core being Oladipo, Turner and Sabonis, with high hopes for Holiday. I didn't think we wouldve pulled it off, but this off-season has been something i've hoped for, so i am not sad to see Bojan go. I loved the memories and games while he played in Indianapolis and i'll be sure to watch more Jazz games then ever now and check out how hes doing.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Post#3 » by Nuntius » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:37 am

Bojan is a scorer and a pretty damn good one at that. Here are his shooting splits from last year -> https://stats.nba.com/player/202711/shooting/

As you can see in the above, he can score from anywhere on the floor and he is usually pretty efficient too. 64% in the RA, 42.1% non-RA paint, 42.5% mid-range, 55.1% left corner 3, 44.9% right corner 3, 38.8% above the break 3. He can get to the rim and finish, he can utilize his size against smaller opponents and, of course, he is an excellent shooter. He can even masquarade as a #1 option as he had to do for us when Dipo went down. He was obviously not Dipo in this role but he got the job done.

Defensively, he can hold his own most of the time. Not a stopper but not an atrocious defender either. On the boards, he isn't very good and I don't think he should be a full-time PF.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Really good shooter at all levels. Terrible rebounder and not a real threat to force turnovers in any way. He blocked 1 shot all of last year and he doesn’t play passing lanes. Any steals come from just being in control and grabbing loose balls or poor dribbles. His on man defense is fine as his strength comes from being just quick enough to stay with 3’s and stay in front of them with his length. He can create for himself a bit, but he can’t realistically create for others; the few times he does is more via “hockey assists”, where his passes lead to other passes that create offense. He’s a classic 3, at least for us. I think you’ll like him, but maybe not in the sense of having to play him or Ingles at the 4.

Nice guy and pretty well liked. He’s not super active in the community but he’s a good guy. Very quiet and won’t be a leader in the locker room. He’ll play 82 games if you let him. I’d be fine with him on his contract, but maybe not full time as a 4?
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#5 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:36 am

We call him Bo-gie! He's a very good player, a scorer first, but he can play some defense. He's got a workman like attitude and doesn't whine and complain about things. You're gonna like him.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#6 » by Pacercoltboiler » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Bogdonovich is a clutch player, a killer. He is one of those guys when he misses you are shocked. He fights and is all motor. Good set up shooter, good off screens, can even take it to the basket a little. A perfect 3, not sure about moving him to the 4. Wouldn't count him out. We are really, really going to miss him.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,480

Post#7 » by old skool » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:37 am

The Pacers did not get younger by letting Bogdanovic leave. Brogdon is only about three months younger, not enough to make a difference.
Grang33r wrote:Hey, thanks for stopping by. I think you guys will like him. From a personal standpoint, he's just a quiet guy, very humble and will represent your organization very well. On the court, he's a scorer. If you're looking for a shutdown defender or rebounder, he's not it. He's improved all his shooting #'s this season, including become a pretty solid 3-point shooter. I don't have the advanced stats but i always view of him as a excellent player around the rim. When he drives to the rim, he usually scores. His best days as a NBA player have all come in Indiana and when Oladipo went down with his season ending injury Bojan became our go-to player on offense, and he succeeded, he had excellent #'s after Oladipo went out, so i don't think you'll find too much negative comments from Pacers fans.

Given his age, i am one who isn't too disappointed that we've moved on. I've been hoping the team would go younger and more athletic, given where we are with our core being Oladipo, Turner and Sabonis, with high hopes for Holiday. I didn't think we wouldve pulled it off, but this off-season has been something i've hoped for, so i am not sad to see Bojan go. I loved the memories and games while he played in Indianapolis and i'll be sure to watch more Jazz games then ever now and check out how hes doing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Guzman_9
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Post#8 » by Guzman_9 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:47 am

old skool wrote:The Pacers did not get younger by letting Bogdanovic leave. Brogdon is only about three months younger, not enough to make a difference.
Grang33r wrote:Hey, thanks for stopping by. I think you guys will like him. From a personal standpoint, he's just a quiet guy, very humble and will represent your organization very well. On the court, he's a scorer. If you're looking for a shutdown defender or rebounder, he's not it. He's improved all his shooting #'s this season, including become a pretty solid 3-point shooter. I don't have the advanced stats but i always view of him as a excellent player around the rim. When he drives to the rim, he usually scores. His best days as a NBA player have all come in Indiana and when Oladipo went down with his season ending injury Bojan became our go-to player on offense, and he succeeded, he had excellent #'s after Oladipo went out, so i don't think you'll find too much negative comments from Pacers fans.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

Uhhh sir? Brodgon is 26. Bogie is 30....

Players left:
Bogie: 30
Young: 31
Collison: 32
Joseph: 28
Avg Age: 30.25

Players brought:
Brogdon: 26
Lamb: 27
Warren: 25
McConnell: 27
Goga: 20
Avg Age: 25

Pacers literally got 5 years younger.
Pacer Fan. 8-)
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#9 » by winter_mute_13 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:11 am

old skool wrote:The Pacers did not get younger by letting Bogdanovic leave. Brogdon is only about three months younger, not enough to make a difference.

Wrong Bogdanovic. Bojan is quite a few years older, as Guzman points out.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#10 » by Wizop » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:11 pm

old skool wrote:The Pacers did not get younger by letting Bogdanovic leave. Brogdon is only about three months younger,

you have the wrong Bogdanovich. Brogdon is only 3 months younger than the one on the Kings, but 3 years younger than the one on the Jazz.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#11 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:46 am

Clearly Indiana would have liked to Keep Bogdanovic but the money didn't work out.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,088

Post#12 » by jazzfan1971 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:19 pm

He has been amazing for us. Really surprised you let him go.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#13 » by Topofthekey » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:19 am

jazzfan1971 wrote:He has been amazing for us. Really surprised you let him go.

Because TJ Warren is more or less a younger version of him with upside, and on a much better contract

And when you consider that Pacers were even given a pick to take on Warren, it's a no brainer to choose Warren over Bogie

The cheaper contract is significant, as Pacers needed all of their cap space to sign everyone (Brogdon, Lamb, McConnell) this past off-season, and Domas needed (and got) an extension as well

So if the decision was to go with either Bogie versus Warren + Brogdon/Domas/Lamb/McConnell + a pick, it takes me all of a nano second to make that decision
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:42 am

Topofthekey wrote:

Because TJ Warren is more or less a younger version of him with upside, and on a much better contract

And when you consider that Pacers were even given a pick to take on Warren, it's a no brainer to choose Warren over Bogie

The cheaper contract is significant, as Pacers needed all of their cap space to sign everyone (Brogdon, Lamb, McConnell) this past off-season, and Domas needed (and got) an extension as well

So if the decision was to go with either Bogie versus Warren + Brogdon/Domas/Lamb/McConnell + a pick, it takes me all of a nano second to make that decision

We could still have signed Bojan after signing Brogdon and trading for Warren, but apparently we just weren’t willing to give Bojan that 4th year. Reports are that the numbers were the same for both teams, but Indy maxed at 3 years and Utah offered a 4th year. It appears we just didn’t want to pay him at 35 years old. 34 appeared to be our line in the sand. And after we got Warren and a 2nd, it was much easier to stand firm on some principle and move on.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#15 » by Wizop » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:53 am

Both Bogie and Thad were good players just older. Have to wonder if Vic being out factored in. Younger players give Vic time as they are on the upswing. Bogie and Thad are nearing if not past peak.

Sent from my phone.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#16 » by Topofthekey » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:59 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:

We could still have signed Bojan after signing Brogdon and trading for Warren, but apparently we just weren’t willing to give Bojan that 4th year. Reports are that the numbers were the same for both teams, but Indy maxed at 3 years and Utah offered a 4th year. It appears we just didn’t want to pay him at 35 years old. 34 appeared to be our line in the sand. And after we got Warren and a 2nd, it was much easier to stand firm on some principle and move on.

You misunderstand me

Notice all the back slashes when I mentioned Brogdon/Domas/Lamb/McConnell

Could we still end up with SOME combination of them if we signed Bogie?

Sure

Could we have signed ALL them though, like we did?

Most likely not, not without spending asset to clear Doug's salary anyway

Signing Bogie necessarily means that someone else doesn't get signed, be it Brogdon or Lamb or McConnell - or perhaps Domas doesn't get extended
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:54 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Because TJ Warren is more or less a younger version of him with upside, and on a much better contract

You misunderstand me

Notice all the back slashes when I mentioned Brogdon/Domas/Lamb/McConnell

Could we still end up with SOME combination of them if we signed Bogie?

Sure

Could we have signed ALL them though, like we did?

Most likely not, not without spending asset to clear Doug's salary anyway

Signing Bogie necessarily means that someone else doesn't get signed, be it Brogdon or Lamb or McConnell - or perhaps Domas doesn't get extended

I'd have taken Bojan over Lamb and McConnell combined. And still extended Domas. That's kind of what I meant. And I think we'd be better, as Bojan could actually play the 3/4 we really need.

But yes. Signing one guy for money means we can't use that money elsewhere. I understand that. I just think that investing it in Bojan (if he would've agreed to a 3 year deal) would've made us better than Lamb and McConnell combined, over all.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#18 » by Wizop » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:00 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:But yes. Signing one guy for money means we can't use that money elsewhere. I understand that. I just think that investing it in Bojan (if he would've agreed to a 3 year deal) would've made us better than Lamb and McConnell combined, over all.

say I accept that as true without argument for this year. would it still be true in year 2? year 3? if Vic isn't Vic until next year, isn't it more important to be better then than now?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:27 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:But yes. Signing one guy for money means we can't use that money elsewhere. I understand that. I just think that investing it in Bojan (if he would've agreed to a 3 year deal) would've made us better than Lamb and McConnell combined, over all.

say I accept that as true without argument for this year. would it still be true in year 2? year 3? if Vic isn't Vic until next year, isn't it more important to be better then than now?

I'm of the belief that Bojan would produce better for likely this year and 2 more after than Lamb + McConnell would be. Personal opinion, though.
AussiePacer
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#20 » by AussiePacer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:58 am

Bogey is a jet. Would've been great to keep him, but understand the rationale to not have.

Jazz fast becoming one of my favourite other teams to watch.

Return to Indiana Pacers