ImageImageImageImageImage

Dwight Howard to Lakers

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,155

Re: Dwight Howard to Lakers 

Post#61 » by Revived » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:55 am

I don’t think this move will be as bad as many think it will be.

LeBron has a personality that’s much more compatible with a guy like Dwight than Kobe did with Dwight imo.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#62 » by stan francisco » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:59 pm

Per the wiretap, Howard had pleaded to Lakers that he hit rock bottom last year and is looking to find a new mindset.

Well, he’d ****ing better.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#63 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:58 pm

stan francisco wrote:Per the wiretap, Howard had pleaded to Lakers that he hit rock bottom last year and is looking to find a new mindset.

Yeah....couple things about this I liked: A) Apparently he arrived a day early, and really impressed the staff with his attitude and play. B) I guess he had a meeting with a handful of the players, and convinced them that he was humbled. Stop and think about that. You gotta sit there with 5-6 of your peers. Guys that you once looked down on, and you have to essentially 'beg' them to give you a chance. How can't he be a changed person after that?

C) I like that our players take this team serious, and wanted to meet with Howard. I really like all angles of that part of the story.

Look....do I think we just landed the rebirth of "super Howard"? No. The guy's 34, and wearing a host of back surgeries. So let's not think this guy saves us. But if he's willing to bring his lunch-box, and do what's asked of him....he'll be a good rebounder...a decent defender/rim protector....and he's a capable big-man who can draw 6-fouls when called. Something we desperately needed. Of the guys available.....I see him as clearly the 'biggest upside' of them all. He took a non-guaranteed contract....so there we go.

If he actually gets with the program...he's a nice option / clean up guy. Has skills...can perform on big lights, and can legit contribute to this team's success. So let's hope it works.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#64 » by Landsberger » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:05 pm

This is like the returning of Magic.... you can see it coming if you really look hard enough past all the hype. Magic was still who he is and didn't change.... Howard is who he is and we'll probably see by the first true challenge the team faces he's still who he is.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#65 » by Pythagoras » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:40 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Per the wiretap, Howard had pleaded to Lakers that he hit rock bottom last year and is looking to find a new mindset.

Yeah....couple things about this I liked: A) Apparently he arrived a day early, and really impressed the staff with his attitude and play. B) I guess he had a meeting with a handful of the players, and convinced them that he was humbled. Stop and think about that. You gotta sit there with 5-6 of your peers. Guys that you once looked down on, and you have to essentially 'beg' them to give you a chance. How can't he be a changed person after that?

C) I like that our players take this team serious, and wanted to meet with Howard. I really like all angles of that part of the story.

Look....do I think we just landed the rebirth of "super Howard"? No. The guy's 34, and wearing a host of back surgeries. So let's not think this guy saves us. But if he's willing to bring his lunch-box, and do what's asked of him....he'll be a good rebounder...a decent defender/rim protector....and he's a capable big-man who can draw 6-fouls when called. Something we desperately needed. Of the guys available.....I see him as clearly the 'biggest upside' of them all. He took a non-guaranteed contract....so there we go.

If he actually gets with the program...he's a nice option / clean up guy. Has skills...can perform on big lights, and can legit contribute to this team's success. So let's hope it works.

My issue is, it’s hard to see how the risk/reward of Howard is greater than the risk/reward of Noah. So far we’ve only heard Kidd preferred Howard, and that’s not exactly a good reason in my book to bring in a guy with his history...
Numbers rule the universe.
ShaqFu
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#66 » by ShaqFu » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:19 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:

My issue is, it’s hard to see how the risk/reward of Howard is greater than the risk/reward of Noah. So far we’ve only heard Kidd preferred Howard, and that’s not exactly a good reason in my book to bring in a guy with his history...

For me, the Howard risk is more worth while because Howard (injuries aside) never had any conditioning issues in his career. Noah looked like he couldn't play on back to back nights last season. Howard also rebounds better and plays better defense than Noah, you can check the numbers for yourself on basketball-reference. I'd rather take my shot at a former 8x allstar, 3x DPOY for the position and role we need to fill than someone who has never accomplished that before paired with the conditioning.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#67 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:21 pm

Landsberger wrote:This is like the returning of Magic.... you can see it coming if you really look hard enough past all the hype. Magic was still who he is and didn't change.... Howard is who he is and we'll probably see by the first true challenge the team faces he's still who he is.

I don’t remember Magic talking about redeeming himself and being humbled and hitting rock bottom when he came on board. We knew who he was and there were no statements about him changing. Not saying D12 second coming can’t backfire just saying totally different situations.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
ShaqFu
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#68 » by ShaqFu » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:22 pm

Landsberger wrote:This is like the returning of Magic.... you can see it coming if you really look hard enough past all the hype. Magic was still who he is and didn't change.... Howard is who he is and we'll probably see by the first true challenge the team faces he's still who he is.

You can't just say, this guy is gonna do this because this other guy did it too. That's ignorant, no offense intended. Those are two separate personalities, two separate players that played different roles on the court, and Magic was an executive whereas Howard is a player. The executive has more of a chance to continue to be a jerk because of their position as opposed to a player who has apparently "hit rock bottom".
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#69 » by Landsberger » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:28 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:

I don’t remember Magic talking about redeeming himself and being humbled and hitting rock bottom when he came on board. We knew who he was and there were no statements about him changing. Not saying D12 second coming can’t backfire just saying totally different situations.

Not what they say.... It's who they are. Let's circle back after we have our first tails in the season and see if Howard has changed.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#70 » by Landsberger » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:29 pm

ShaqFu wrote:

You can't just say, this guy is gonna do this because this other guy did it too. That's ignorant, no offense intended. Those are two separate personalities, two separate players that played different roles on the court, and Magic was an executive whereas Howard is a player. The executive has more of a chance to continue to be a jerk because of their position as opposed to a player who has apparently "hit rock bottom".

Calling me ignorant after that first sentence is interesting..... Yeah... and since you wrote it you fully intended offense.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by stan francisco » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:37 pm

By the way, this doesn’t complete our C depth.

Can we still add Noah?
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by stan francisco » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:49 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:

I hope you’re right.

I’m skeptical as people don’t suddenly change their fundamental nature. It’s very uncommon. That’s what it would take for me; a complete personality swap. Since day one in the league he has been a high maintenance primadonna. He was rot for team chemistry last time here. All my instincts say ‘nooooooooo’...
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#73 » by BEazy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:24 am

Money changes people’s attitudes quick. Now it remains to be seen that his attitude will change for the good or the worse. Either way it’s up to him to choose whether he wants to continue in the NBA or look for other routes. The ball is in Dwight’s court.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
hazy_01
Rookie
And1: 362

Post#74 » by hazy_01 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:04 am

If he helps us win a ring, I'll buy his jersey
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#75 » by Danny Darko » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:29 am

I hate the signing, but I hope it works out now that it's done.

Read on Twitter
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#76 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:41 am

Danny Darko wrote:I hate the signing, but I hope it works out now that it's done.

Read on Twitter

Some fans who tweet things show little knowledge about the game. Dwights role is NOT stretch 5. Dwights job is NOT to shoot 3s and show superior outside shooting ability. His job is to rebound. Block and intimidate shots. Strong post interior Defense. Interior power vs. the strong interior opponents we face. Not STRETCH 5.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,152

Post#77 » by SlimShady83 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:08 am

This is going to be a train wreck LOL
Bring back Defense
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#78 » by Slava » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:48 am

I just realized I have to go through the next season bitching about him and Rondo missing free throws again. FML.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#79 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:15 pm

Landsberger wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:

Not what they say.... It's who they are. Let's circle back after we have our first tails in the season and see if Howard has changed.

I am betting if you use a polygraph on him, he will pass that lie detector test right now. The question is how exactly would he react when face the situation of being benched for various reasons. When he doesn't get touches, when he can't switch to the perimeter, when the team goes on a losing streak?
Some fans here think, it's ok, he is not being asked to do many things, all they need from him is defense and toughness for 15-20 minutes, well my reply to that is might as well get Noah then, bec you know this guy will dive for the loose balls even when he doesn't get touches, regardless of how many mins he play etc.
But I really think they are taking a chance bec deep inside they know they can't beat Utah,Denver and esp the Clippers with this lineup if the only player who can "possibly" tilt the balance is with Dwight wreaking havoc inside along with AD. Clippers biggest vet is Zubac. Harrell is 6-8 and if they can get the ball inside, it's going to favor the Lakers.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,930

Post#80 » by zimpy27 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:00 pm

Dwight played well the season before last and even better the season before that.

This is a good breakdown of his stats from his season in Charlotte and probably the best indication of what he will do for the Lakers: https://www.bball-index.com/player/dwight-howard/

REPORT CARD - OFFENSE
A - ONE ON ONE
A - FINISHING ROLL
A - OREB
B - OFF-BALL MOVEMENT
B+ - GRAVITY
D+ - PLAYMAKING
F - POST PLAY
F - PERIMETER SHOT

REPORT CARD - DEFENSE
A- - INTERIOR DEFENSE
A- - DREB