ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,870

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1681 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:52 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:I believe Gary Harris makes a lot of sense for this team moving forward.

Why the Nuggets do this:
- Bring in more playoff/championship experience
- Bolster their front court depth
- Gasol is a significant upgrade over Plumlee
- Gasol would play backup to Jokic. I believe at his age, he'll be better suited as the backup C getting 15-25 minutes depending on the matchup
- Gasol & Jokic share a similar playing style and therefore Coach Malone could run the same sets with Gasol on and Jokic off
- Gasol is a much more reliable option than Plumlee, when Jokic gets subbed off in late game situations for defensive purposes
- The rise of Beasley makes Harris expendable (Beasley is 2 years younger & has shown he's more than capable of starting at the 2)
- Powell would be a solid back-up for Beasley
- Frees up about 7-8mil of cap space for the Nuggets in the off-season
- Nuggets, who have one of the best development staff in the league, can afford to experiment with the G-League MVP & DPOY
- Overall, this trade just makes the Nuggets a much more dangerous team in the playoffs

Trade doesn't make sense for Denver, though. Gasol is redundant, Harris is waaaay better than Powell, and a 2nd round pick + borderline NBA prospect isn't making up the difference. Maybe FVV + filler + incentive (1st(s?) or Anunoby).

You're seriously undervaluing Gasol. His contribution on and off the floor makes him far from redundant and a significant upgrade over Plumlee.
Harris has had injury concerns and struggled mightily last season, that's why his trade value isn't that high.
I'd be willing to do Gasol + Powell + 1st at the most. FVV doesn't make a lot of sense for Nuggets considering they're stacked with guards and he's also an expiring.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#1682 » by babyjax13 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:56 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:I believe Gary Harris makes a lot of sense for this team moving forward.

Trade doesn't make sense for Denver, though. Gasol is redundant, Harris is waaaay better than Powell, and a 2nd round pick + borderline NBA prospect isn't making up the difference. Maybe FVV + filler + incentive (1st(s?) or Anunoby).

You're seriously undervaluing Gasol. His contribution on and off the floor makes him far from redundant and a significant upgrade over Plumlee.
Harris has had injury concerns and struggled mightily last season, that's why his trade value isn't that high.
I'd be willing to do Gasol + Powell + 1st at the most. FVV doesn't make a lot of sense for Nuggets considering they're stacked with guards and he's also an expiring.

Trading their starting shooting guard for a backup center is a bad idea. Especially since Gasol is old and expiring. Plus, most teams aren't going to view Powell as positive value until he's played consistent minutes and shown he can be a positive value on his contract. They can certainly find something somewhere else that matches their team better. You are right about FVV, forgot they had Monte Morris.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Kreamy
RealGM
And1: 2,097

Post#1683 » by Kreamy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:12 pm

3-way trade between Raptors, Pistons and Knicks after December 15.

Knicks and Pistons upgrade their talent and shed salary.

Image <<< Frank Ntilikina / Elfrid Payton / Taj Gibson / Tony Snell / 2020 DET #1

Image <<< Kyle Lowry / Cameron Payne

Image <<< Reggie Jackson / Langston Galloway
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,621

Post#1684 » by Bruin » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 pm

Kreamy wrote:3-way trade between Raptors, Pistons and Knicks after December 15.

Knicks and Pistons upgrade their talent and shed salary.

Image <<< Frank Ntilikina / Elfrid Payton / Taj Gibson / Tony Snell / 2020 DET #1

Image <<< Kyle Lowry / Cameron Payne

Image <<< Reggie Jackson / Langston Galloway

No way do we trade away Lowry for such a haul. I’d rather keep our franchise goat unless we get something actually worth being excited about
v1n5anity
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,059

Post#1685 » by v1n5anity » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:33 pm

I wish we signed Kenneth Faried instead of Cameron Payne.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#1686 » by navyblue » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:46 pm

v1n5anity wrote:I wish we signed Kenneth Faried instead of Cameron Payne.

faried is still a free agent.
and cameron payne is a looksee contract, nothing to fret over. only 150k of his salary this year is guaranteed and next year is 100% non guaranteed.
alan_156
Senior
And1: 755

Post#1687 » by alan_156 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:56 pm

Faried would be perfect for us, cut Payne.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#1688 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:32 pm

alan_156 wrote:Faried would be perfect for us, cut Payne.

We already got RHJ for the garbage man PF role

Payne is probably getting cut either way
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#1689 » by Asif16 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:38 pm

Keep Payne for his dancing skills from the bench.

We need a glorified Cheerleader
alan_156
Senior

Post#1690 » by alan_156 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:32 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:

I would argue RHJ is more of a wing player than a big man. He's not a great rebounder and doesn't have the size to bang with big guys. I think we still need another big man, if one of siakim, ibaka or Gasol get injured we are very thin with nba ready big bodies.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#1691 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:59 pm

alan_156 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

I would argue RHJ is more of a wing player than a big man. He's not a great rebounder and doesn't have the size to bang with big guys. I think we still need another big man, if one of siakim, ibaka or Gasol get injured we are very thin with nba ready big bodies.

I mean offensively RHJ is definitely a big man. He has 0 perimeter skills and all his impact comes from being a roll man and rebounder

Defensively it’s a bit murky since he’s more of a perimeter defender than paint defender but PF is becoming a more perimeter oriented position these days anyway.

Faried would play the same role as RHJ on offense and while Faried is a better rebounder he’s not the defender that RHJ is. So that’s the trade off.

I think Boucher and Hernandez will be our next tier of big men and judging by Blake Murphy’s most recent article (Sagaba Konate is a lock for one the 2 way contracts)

Faried might also not be willing to sign with us himself since we can not offer him any permanent role
alan_156
Senior

Post#1692 » by alan_156 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:25 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:

HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#1693 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:32 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Lakers just waived this guy

I could see us giving him our last training camp spot
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Post#1694 » by YelloC » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:35 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Lakers just waived this guy

I could see us giving him our last training camp spot

This guy passed the eye test when I seen him in summer league but then I looked at his stats and the were underwhelming.
He has a little Amir Johnson in him.
I’d give him a shot if Sagaba isn’t ready.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,260

Post#1695 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:02 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Thoughts on buying low on Dennis Smith Jr?

Dennis Smith Jr reminds me of a younger Norman Powell, and our Norm isn't even that old. No need to throw assets at Dennis Smith Jr.
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,448

Post#1696 » by KrazyP » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:06 am

I've been debating if Wiggins is worth taking a flyer on if the Wolves throw some compensation in the form of a draft pick our way.

Something like Ibaka + filler for Wiggins + top 8 protected 2021 1st rounder could work?

Wiggins is grossly overpaid and has underwhelming impact on the court considering his natural talent level...that said, he's only 23 and the Raptors development environment might just be what he needs to kick start his career.
bootsythornton
Sixth Man
And1: 1,727

Post#1697 » by bootsythornton » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:09 am

KrazyP wrote:I've been debating if Wiggins is worth taking a flyer on if the Wolves throw some compensation in the form of a draft pick our way.

Something like Ibaka + filler for Wiggins + top 8 protected 2021 1st rounder could work?

Wiggins is grossly overpaid and has underwhelming impact on the court considering his natural talent level...that said, he's only 23 and the Raptors development environment might just be what he needs to kick start his career.

can't send him to the 905... thats where we develop guys. Masai drafts on length, wingspan, IQ etc. He doesn't identify guys that have played in the league 5 years.
bootsythornton
Sixth Man
And1: 1,727

Post#1698 » by bootsythornton » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:17 am

Bjelica from the Kings would be a really underrated bench pick up. Great 3 pt shooter and another big body.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#1699 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:52 am

KrazyP wrote:I've been debating if Wiggins is worth taking a flyer on if the Wolves throw some compensation in the form of a draft pick our way.

I’m not against taking a flier on a guy

I just think the negative of Wiggins is just too high to justify the risk

Especially given what we have seen so far from him (virtually no improvement, seems to be getting worse every year)

Rather target other young players that don’t come with so much baggage
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,258

Post#1700 » by mademan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:29 pm

sportsyard wrote:

can't send him to the 905... thats where we develop guys. Masai drafts on length, wingspan, IQ etc. He doesn't identify guys that have played in the league 5 years.

More importantly, dudes a bad cultural fit. I dont want guys on this team that dont work; bad attitudes are just as contagious as good ones

Return to Toronto Raptors