We "Don't" Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,562

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1281 » by fatlever » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:02 am

i'll be monk's biggest fan if he starts to put it together. wonderful crow it would be. i'll never root against a player just to win an argument. thats for the petty folks. i truly am dying to get behind monk.
hot_sauce_and1
Ballboy
And1: 18

Post#1282 » by hot_sauce_and1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:16 pm

Monk is only 21 years old! The man needs more playing time to be able to prove himself. Heck, even with limited minutes, he has still managed better shooting percentages compared to Kemba at this same age. Back when Kemba was just a chucker and maybe a sub-par defender. We shoulda traded him too. Maybe packaged him in a deal to get rid of one of our terrible contracts that year.
hot_sauce_and1
Ballboy

Post#1283 » by hot_sauce_and1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:07 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
hotrod wrote:https://www.nba.com/hornets/malik-monk-talks-offseason-being-patient-and-new-opportunities

Not so fast on Monk. Sounds like he is adding some much needed muscle.

That boy ain't putting on no damn muscle.

Especially not doing 10lb dumbbell lunges lol

Lol at all of these comments. There is a right way of working out and a wrong way of going about it. Plenty of people will end up trying to push up more weight in the gym just because they don't want to look weak in the gym. Then its very possible they injure themselves. After that they probably think they just injured themselves because they've been working out too hard, when in reality, they are probably not working out properly. You can still build strength with less weight and more reps just so ya know.

These pics are taken from the panthers home website today. Athletes playing a more physical sport only using a 10lb weight in case you can't see it. They must be goofing around.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,109

Post#1284 » by SWedd523 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:36 pm

hot_sauce_and1 wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:
hotrod wrote:https://www.nba.com/hornets/malik-monk-talks-offseason-being-patient-and-new-opportunities

That boy ain't putting on no damn muscle.

Especially not doing 10lb dumbbell lunges lol

Lol at all of these comments. There is a right way of working out and a wrong way of going about it. Plenty of people will end up trying to push up more weight in the gym just because they don't want to look weak in the gym. Then its very possible they injure themselves. After that they probably think they just injured themselves because they've been working out too hard, when in reality, they are probably not working out properly. You can still build strength with less weight and more reps just so ya know.

Spoiler:

These pics are taken from the panthers home website today. Athletes playing a more physical sport only using a 10lb weight in case you can't see it. They must be goofing around.

The remark was "he is adding some much needed muscle"

The response was he "ain't putting on no damn muscle". Which is true. Because he isn't. "Especially not doing 10lb DB lunges". You can talk about adding strength by using lighter weight all you want, but no professional athlete should be at a point in their physical conditioning where 10lb DB lunges or 10lb bumper plate pistol squats or box step ups is going to add any amount of measurable strength.

Different exercises have different end goals. Cherry picking specific pictures to prove a point those pictures don't support isn't a great starting point. That was more than likely a warm up or part of a cardio/plyo circuit. That exercise had nothing to do with strength.

I bet you can watch one of their gym sessions and see dudes routinely squatting 4 biscuits with ease. Just something else you won't see Monk do, literally ever. And that's fine.

Just don't tell me he's putting on muscle when he's built like a string bean.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1285 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:35 am

316Hornets wrote:

“[I’m] putting on a lot of muscle, a lot of strength and just getting a lot of shots up. It’s gone pretty well,”

:roll: :roll: :roll:
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
JDuaneWayne
Senior
And1: 115

Post#1286 » by JDuaneWayne » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:13 am

While not in bad shape, why is it the guy training Monk is what a typical trainer looks like? It just feels like they’re winging it...

Dude obviously doesn’t know much about growing some legs, continually skips leg day, or does 10 lb lunges. Maybe all of the above
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#1287 » by BigRedDog » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:28 am

Gotta use heavy weights to build strength. Light weights are for cardio.
hot_sauce_and1
Ballboy

Post#1288 » by hot_sauce_and1 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:57 am

SWedd523 wrote:The remark was "he is adding some much needed muscle"

The response was he "ain't putting on no damn muscle". Which is true. Because he isn't. "Especially not doing 10lb DB lunges". You can talk about adding strength by using lighter weight all you want, but no professional athlete should be at a point in their physical conditioning where 10lb DB lunges or 10lb bumper plate pistol squats or box step ups is going to add any amount of measurable strength.

Different exercises have different end goals. Cherry picking specific pictures to prove a point those pictures don't support isn't a great starting point. That was more than likely a warm up or part of a cardio/plyo circuit. That exercise had nothing to do with strength.

I bet you can watch one of their gym sessions and see dudes routinely squatting 4 biscuits with ease. Just something else you won't see Monk do, literally ever. And that's fine.

Keyword "needed"....How much needed muscle do you think Monk needs to become a good shooter. I remember reading an article about Durant not even being able to bench 135lbs when he was still on the Thunder. Who cares though. The guy can ball. Same with Steph, he doesn't have much muscle. The point of the pics I posted was to show others that professional athletes use light weights for different exercises all the time. Maybe that pic was taken at the end of Monk's workout too. Who knows. Regardless, and if I'm wrong about the intent behind your original post, I apologize, but it seems childish to pick on someone who is trying to better themselves. Everyone has to start off somewhere. And you can gain strength with light weight lol. If you wanna bulk up, different story.
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#1289 » by BigRedDog » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:17 am

hot_sauce_and1 wrote:

Keyword "needed"....How much needed muscle do you think Monk needs to become a good shooter. I remember reading an article about Durant not even being able to bench 135lbs when he was still on the Thunder. Who cares though. The guy can ball. Same with Steph, he doesn't have much muscle. The point of the pics I posted was to show others that professional athletes use light weights for different exercises all the time. Maybe that pic was taken at the end of Monk's workout too. Who knows. Regardless, and if I'm wrong about the intent behind your original post, I apologize, but it seems childish to pick on someone who is trying to better themselves. Everyone has to start off somewhere. And you can gain strength with light weight lol. If you wanna bulk up, different story.

Eh, Steph has been deadlifting over 400lbs since shortly after he came in the league. I realize that's not powerlifter status or anything but I highly doubt Monk can sniff Steph's totals in the weight room.

Durant couldn't bench 185 lbs at the COMBINE but the bench press is a notoriously bad measure of strength for basketball players since most successful ones suffer from Marfan Syndrome. They just don't have the right levers for benching with those lengthy arms. I guarantee he can bench 185 lbs now, I wouldnt put too much stock in a gangly 19 year old kid's bench press numbers who was spending time in a high cardio sport growing up.

And yeah when you first start lifting really anything can make you stronger. If you're skinny enough even picking your nose enough should in theory build muscle. But realistically, you need to start lifting heavy to gain strength. You can gain size without lifting heavy but all you're really doing is tricking your body into retaining more water, glycogen, etc... which isn't completely worthless or anything but if you're looking to become more explosive you train for explosion.... Im not gonna say Monk is or isn't doing these things... but he certainly hasn't shown much growth on the court in two full seasons.

This will be a huge year for him to prove if he belongs in an NBA rotation. He certainly hasn't the last two years. He's such a poor defender that he has to become at least an above average offensive player to really be a replacement level player. He's clearly got some game he just hasn't really figured out how to utilize it yet.
Buzzzz
Senior
And1: 552

Post#1290 » by Buzzzz » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:56 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
316Hornets wrote:

“[I’m] putting on a lot of muscle, a lot of strength and just getting a lot of shots up. It’s gone pretty well,”

This is obviously leg day. He can't be expected to be lifting weights 24/7 sheesh
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#1291 » by BigRedDog » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:06 am

Buzzzz wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
316Hornets wrote:

This is obviously leg day. He can't be expected to be lifting weights 24/7 sheesh

I'm pretty sure they actually do this exercise "Sans Shoes" to build up callous strength. After this he'll do it on gravel. And then hot stones. Then Toe Raises.

It's probably a lot more rigorous than it looks. I mean for all we know those might be 10 kilograms. They probably are because usually the 10 lb weights are pink at most gyms.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,109

Post#1292 » by SWedd523 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:37 pm

hot_sauce_and1 wrote:

Completely different argument.

Monk himself stated he's "putting on a lot of muscle".

And from the photos I've seen, that wouldn't appear to be the case.

I have no idea why you're on here talking about a bunch of other random **** that has absolutely nothing to do with Monk and him putting on muscle.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 936

Post#1293 » by Robot Rock » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:06 pm

A major muscle change can also jack up your shot. Happened to me in high school. Cost me a shot at the pros.

(It did not cost me a shot at the pros)
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#1294 » by Robot Rock » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:07 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:I just don't endorse trading him before the season begins. See where we are in January.
Yeah I think I agree with that, but at the same time if some team is a believer and is willing to send a solid offer to us I'd seriously consider it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

One of the biggest reasons we are where we are (two years away from being good enough to be called a dumpster fire) is that we consistently buy high and sell low. Continuing that process is not conducive to improvement.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#1295 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:45 pm

Robot Rock wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:I just don't endorse trading him before the season begins. See where we are in January.
Yeah I think I agree with that, but at the same time if some team is a believer and is willing to send a solid offer to us I'd seriously consider it.

One of the biggest reasons we are where we are (two years away from being good enough to be called a dumpster fire) is that we consistently buy high and sell low. Continuing that process is not conducive to improvement.

I don't feel strongly on trading Monk, but I don't buy this argument. The correct way to look at Malik is whether or not investing in him NOW is likely to pay off ... if not then it's foolish to do so regardless of past investments such as spending a lottery pick to get him. Sunk cost fallacy is an easy one to fall into and not doing so is the mark of a good FO or business.
My picks:
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#1296 » by Robot Rock » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:09 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Yeah I think I agree with that, but at the same time if some team is a believer and is willing to send a solid offer to us I'd seriously consider it.

I don't feel strongly on trading Monk, but I don't buy this argument. The correct way to look at Malik is whether or not investing in him NOW is likely to pay off ... if not then it's foolish to do so regardless of past investments such as spending a lottery pick to get him. Sunk cost fallacy is an easy one to fall into and not doing so is the mark of a good FO or business.

But how can you tell if investing in him is likely to pay off without you know, playing him?
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach

Post#1297 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Robot Rock wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:

But how can you tell if investing in him is likely to pay off without you know, playing him?

You are moving the goalposts. Your statement was that buying high and selling low was one reason that the team was in a bind now and because of that they shouldn't trade Monk. My statement was in reply to that. The quoted statement of mine has nothing regarding how you could evaluate that nor does it reference playing time at all.
My picks:
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#1298 » by 316Hornets » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:39 pm

hot_sauce_and1 wrote:

While you are right about less weight being just as beneficial as lifting big weight, my main concern is Monk does not look like he lifts big weight at all. During the offseason, he should be building up his legs to survive the season. Those little lunges aren't going to do much in his overall endurance.

The eye test here is important too. Those Panther players all look very lean and muscular. Monk looks neither of those things and if I had to guess the reason his trainer is having him do those lunges is because Monk is so out of shape that he has to work on building his foundation first. I'm going through a similar training regime right now because I often injure myself when trying to lift big weights due to not properly building my foundation first.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#1299 » by Robot Rock » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:20 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
Robot Rock wrote:
Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:I don't feel strongly on trading Monk, but I don't buy this argument. The correct way to look at Malik is whether or not investing in him NOW is likely to pay off ... if not then it's foolish to do so regardless of past investments such as spending a lottery pick to get him. Sunk cost fallacy is an easy one to fall into and not doing so is the mark of a good FO or business.

You are moving the goalposts. Your statement was that buying high and selling low was one reason that the team was in a bind now and because of that they shouldn't trade Monk. My statement was in reply to that. The quoted statement of mine has nothing regarding how you could evaluate that nor does it reference playing time at all.

I haven't moved a damn thing. I've made my stance abundantly clear in this thread.

You said that we should decide whether or not investing in him NOW is likely to pay off. How, then, do you decide that without playing him? Answer: you don't.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,546

Post#1300 » by yosemiteben » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:10 am

Robot Rock wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

I'd argue the opposite. What player have we sold low on, in the sense that we traded him and then he blew up somewhere else?

Return to Charlotte Hornets