ImageImageImageImageImage

I think Omari Spellman ends up being a steal for the Warriors.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Re: I think Omari Spellman ends up being a steal for the Warriors. 

Post#21 » by Samurai » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:33 am

BigRedDog wrote:He doesnt look comfortable handling the ball there. Looks like he's about to carry the ball or perhaps he lost control of it while he was trying to figure out if he should pass it before he turns it over.

To be blunt, this sounds like you are trying to be overly negative. Everyone, including Spellman himself, knows that he was way overweight last season. He weighed 254 at the draft combine and ballooned up to 293 6 months later - in the middle of an NBA season! He went to Hawks trainer (and former Dubs trainer) Chelsea Lane to ask for help and lost 20 pounds. Now with the Dubs, he is putting in extra workouts and is on a stringent nutritionist-crafted diet consisting of eggs and veggies for breakfast, salad for lunch, and fish with vegetables and a grain for dinner.

So the point of this thread is a) can he keep the weight off and b) if he does, can he be a steal for the Dubs? And your posting stuff like "he was heavy and slow last year". That's a given that everybody knows; it isn't relevant to the gist of the thread.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#22 » by Quazza » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:35 am

Samurai wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:He doesnt look comfortable handling the ball there. Looks like he's about to carry the ball or perhaps he lost control of it while he was trying to figure out if he should pass it before he turns it over.

To be blunt, this sounds like you are trying to be overly negative. Everyone, including Spellman himself, knows that he was way overweight last season. He weighed 254 at the draft combine and ballooned up to 293 6 months later - in the middle of an NBA season! He went to Hawks trainer (and former Dubs trainer) Chelsea Lane to ask for help and lost 20 pounds. Now with the Dubs, he is putting in extra workouts and is on a stringent nutritionist-crafted diet consisting of eggs and veggies for breakfast, salad for lunch, and fish with vegetables and a grain for dinner.

So the point of this thread is a) can he keep the weight off and b) if he does, can he be a steal for the Dubs? And your posting stuff like "he was heavy and slow last year". That's a given that everybody knows; it isn't relevant to the gist of the thread.

where are you seeing this?

(not doubting you - but this is exactly what I was asking about in my post . A link would be great)
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Samurai
General Manager

Post#23 » by Samurai » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:39 am

Quazza wrote:
Samurai wrote:

where are you seeing this?

(not doubting you - but this is exactly what I was asking about in my post . A link would be great)

https://warriorswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/13/omari-spellman-struggles-with-weight/

This link in the story also chronicles the difficulties he went through with his weight in Atlanta (it was written in January 2019):
https://theathletic.com/773580/2019/01/18/how-hawks-spellman-lost-control-of-his-weight-and-realized-he-needed-a-change/
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#24 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:26 am

Mylie10 wrote:I'm higher on Spellman than most will be. However, that is dependent on him being is relatively good shape. He's already way down from 293 though.

I think he's going to be that Mo Speights long range 5 we've been looking for. And I think he's going to be pretty decent playing defense. He's very skilled for his size, and if he gets that body right, those skills will show out.

Myers did an interview for Tim Kawakami's podcast a few weeks back and in it he referred to Spellman as a rangy 5, so I think you're spot on with the Mo Buckets comparison, at least in terms of how Kerr will use him. I think that using him at the 5 is a smart way to not be overly concerned about his weight. While he's a littler shorter than most 5's, the league is going small and one assumes he'd be playing minutes in bench heavy lineups where his role will be to bomb 3's. Most teams don't have bruising 5's off the bench that are high volume scorers so Spellman's height disadvantage matters less at the 5 and one assumes he'll be a bit quicker than most of the 5's guarding him.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#25 » by Samurai » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:38 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:I'm higher on Spellman than most will be. However, that is dependent on him being is relatively good shape. He's already way down from 293 though.

I think he's going to be that Mo Speights long range 5 we've been looking for. And I think he's going to be pretty decent playing defense. He's very skilled for his size, and if he gets that body right, those skills will show out.

Myers did an interview for Tim Kawakami's podcast a few weeks back and in it he referred to Spellman as a rangy 5, so I think you're spot on with the Mo Buckets comparison, at least in terms of how Kerr will use him. I think that using him at the 5 is a smart way to not be overly concerned about his weight. While he's a littler shorter than most 5's, the league is going small and one assumes he'd be playing minutes in bench heavy lineups where his role will be to bomb 3's. Most teams don't have bruising 5's off the bench that are high volume scorers so Spellman's height disadvantage matters less at the 5 and one assumes he'll be a bit quicker than most of the 5's guarding him.

While he is short (6-9) for a 5, he also has a 7-2 wingspan to help mitigate that. And he clearly has the lower body strength to hold his position. He said he wants his weight to be around his college weight (250's); if he can do that and still shoot (he claimed his shooting stroke stayed the same even when he was 293), he should be a decent stretch 5 for us. And as you point out, we haven't really had that since Mo 'Buckets.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#26 » by killmongrel » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:43 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:

It's gonna be interesting how the Warriors use Spellman in the first month and how many minutes they give him. But I did suspect that they'd be playing all his minutes at the 5. If so, it makes the most sense. He can come into camp in shape, but not too light. I'm just wondering if that means Looney plays more at the 4. And if that means Paschall gets moved down to the 3. Warriors have a lot of flexibility at the 4 and 5 this year.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#27 » by Samurai » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:00 am

killmongrel wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

It's gonna be interesting how the Warriors use Spellman in the first month and how many minutes they give him. But I did suspect that they'd be playing all his minutes at the 5. If so, it makes the most sense. He can come into camp in shape, but not too light. I'm just wondering if that means Looney plays more at the 4. And if that means Paschall gets moved down to the 3. Warriors have a lot of flexibility at the 4 and 5 this year.

My guess is that the minutes distribution at the 5 will be largely determined by match-ups and how well WCS and Spellman do defensively. But I do like that all three bring something different to the table. Hopefully they all play well - having too many offensive weapons on the bench will be a welcome problem to have after last season!
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#28 » by killmongrel » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:10 am

Samurai wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

My guess is that the minutes distribution at the 5 will be largely determined by match-ups and how well WCS and Spellman do defensively. But I do like that all three bring something different to the table. Hopefully they all play well - having too many offensive weapons on the bench will be a welcome problem to have after last season!
Right? This is what I've been saying. So many more players this year that can score. Only major question mark is - can they step up defensively. But when you look at what level of defense they have to replicate aside from Iguodala and a 33 year old Shaun Livingston, our bench wasn't the defensive monster some people seemed to think it was.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#29 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:11 pm

Spellman said he struggled with not getting PT in Atlanta, I hope he gets enough early to build the confidence to earn it later.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#30 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:04 pm

Hope Green is practicing leg kicks this off season, as he has a lot of targets.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#31 » by Mylie10 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:41 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:Hope Green is practicing leg kicks this off season, as he has a lot of targets.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

:lol:
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,836

Post#32 » by whatisacenter » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:54 pm

The man is obviously taking the offseason seriously and putting in some work. He is not all the way there yet but he has gotten in much better shape in a short amount of time. Excited to see what he can do coming off the bench next season.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#33 » by killmongrel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:26 am

whatisacenter wrote:The man is obviously taking the offseason seriously and putting in some work. He is not all the way there yet but he has gotten in much better shape in a short amount of time. Excited to see what he can do coming off the bench next season.

He's looking good. I think getting traded by the Hawks - the Hawks - was a wake up call for him. Now he has a chance to succeed in the best org in the league. If he can't stay motivated for them, then he knows his career is in jeopardy.
Quazza
Head Coach

Post#34 » by Quazza » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:31 pm

whatisacenter wrote:The man is obviously taking the offseason seriously and putting in some work. He is not all the way there yet but he has gotten in much better shape in a short amount of time. Excited to see what he can do coming off the bench next season.

That's a fair bit of gut hanging out

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#35 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:38 pm

Well to me, he's definitely NOT 293 pounds in that video. He's getting up to high for somebody weighing 3 bills.

That in its self is encouraging.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#36 » by Mylie10 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 6:07 pm

Omari just went up several notches based on the shirt choice alone.
Khoee wrote “
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,042

Post#37 » by Jester_ » Sun Sep 1, 2019 10:34 pm

Quazza wrote:

I mean this in the nicest way possible Q - this is the most "internet NBA fan" comment of all time :lol:

Need someone to run laser biophotometry on the 30px-ish of gut in the photo to determine exact BF%
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#38 » by killmongrel » Sun Sep 1, 2019 10:48 pm

Mylie10 wrote:

Omari just went up several notches based on the shirt choice alone.
It's so clear that he's looking better and better, and yet some people still have some negative things to say. The dude ballooned up to 290+, which is the reason the Hawks rage trade him. The key is if he's able to stay in shape. I think he does.
Quazza
Head Coach

Post#39 » by Quazza » Mon Sep 2, 2019 12:48 am

Jester_ wrote:
Quazza wrote:

I mean this in the nicest way possible Q - this is the most "internet NBA fan" comment of all time :lol:

Need someone to run laser biophotometry on the 30px-ish of gut in the photo to determine exact BF%

hahaha fair

(and I'm really only playing around. Im actually a fan of the kid - won me some fantasy match ups last season )

East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#40 » by East Bay Sports » Mon Sep 2, 2019 2:15 pm

Dude clearly has the size and some skills NBA teams are looking for from a modern day big. I think he can keep the weight down and contribute.

Return to Golden State Warriors