ImageImageImage

Poll: Should DA be looking trade JB

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Should DA be looking trade JB

yes
37%
no
63%

Total votes: 76

OBisHalJordan
Rookie
And1: 892

Poll: Should DA be looking trade JB 

Post#1 » by OBisHalJordan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:47 pm

I've seen a lot a few posts that make it sound like a trade centered around Jaylen Brown is going to happen. I was surprised to see this sentiment so widely shared and wanted to see what others think and why. Should DA be looking looking to trade JB?
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: Poll: Should DA be looking trade JB 

Post#2 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:06 pm

Depends on how much he wants for his new deal, and what we can get in return for him. Jaylen is a good player, but his ceiling, IMO, is being the 3rd best player on a contender. I don't really want to pay him close to the max when we will likely have to pay Tatum the max when his deal is up.
Bostonic33
Sophomore
And1: 262

Post#3 » by Bostonic33 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:57 pm

If you pay JB near max for his current productivity... you get the Charlotte Hornets, which has one of the highest team payroll and yet finished below .500 and missed the playoffs last season. The question is will JB make the leap?
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#4 » by Roddy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:06 pm

Wait until december. I'm OK with Jaylen at $22 million if he has improved and has a big impact on the court.
If he is the same player and doesn't want a between $15-17 million contract, trade him.
If he wants more than $22 million, trade him.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#5 » by OldCeltics » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:13 pm

Roddy wrote:Wait until december. I'm OK with Jaylen at $22 million if he has improved and has a big impact on the court.
If he is the same player and doesn't want a between $15-17 million contract, trade him.
If he wants more than $22 million, trade him.

22 mill is reasonable, for a future border line all-star. He's only 22 years old. I think even 24 million would be bargain.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#6 » by brackdan70 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:08 pm

I don’t think you look to trade him unless part of a deal for a very special player. The likelihood of something like that materializing is slim. Assuming the Cs can retain him for market value that’s good.
Sign here
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,420

Post#7 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:00 pm

Questions like this are meaningless without a specific trade in mind.

I think Danny should make good trades and pass on bad ones.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#8 » by chakdaddy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:41 pm

His salary only matters if it will make a difference for a future FA who will be better
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#9 » by jfs1000d » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:03 pm

As long as we get better. If we aren’t a better team, what’s the point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,151

Post#10 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:12 pm

Can't see a trade out there to be had. Myles Turner interests me, but Indiana has more need for him than Brown so it wouldn't be anything for them. Nothing really makes any sense right now.

I think by Christmas the 'trade Jaylen' threads wil be replaced with 'extend Jaylen right now!!' threads. Kid is a baller..
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#11 » by captain green » Sun Sep 1, 2019 12:11 am

I'll never say anyone is untouchable. But unless it is a great return and a draft pick I'm signing him to a contract. 2 way players with intelligence don't grow on trees. This is the Jays time get use to it.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#12 » by GoGreen » Sun Sep 1, 2019 1:07 am

If there's a legit power forward out there? Someone with youth, skill and size? I think you gotta think hard about it.

But, bringing me to my point, it all depends what's out there, and if Danny feels comfortable paying Jaylen that kind of money. Would I? Ehh... idk. This is a big year for him.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,940

Post#13 » by Parliament10 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 1:53 am

captain green wrote:I'll never say anyone is untouchable. But unless it is a great return and a draft pick I'm signing him to a contract. 2 way players with intelligence don't grow on trees. This is the Jays time get use to it.

Agreed. And, I was down on his attitude last year.
But, we now know that there was a lot of that going around the locker room.

Jaylen Brown is a good player. He may be the type of commodity that other teams want to trade us for, in a few years.
I think it's best to keep him, for the long haul.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,688

Post#14 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Sun Sep 1, 2019 3:05 am

Yes because Ainge still has a major problem at SF in regards to minutes which was half the reason why last years team was so dysfunctional. He is going to have the same exact problem this year.
*Insert witty signature here.*
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#15 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Sep 1, 2019 4:08 am

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Can't see a trade out there to be had. Myles Turner interests me, but Indiana has more need for him than Brown so it wouldn't be anything for them. Nothing really makes any sense right now.

I think by Christmas the 'trade Jaylen' threads wil be replaced with 'extend Jaylen right now!!' threads. Kid is a baller..

I’d trade him for Jonathan Isaac, that’s it. I wouldn’t extend now. Do we want to keep open a scenario where Hayward opts out and Anthony Davis signs a max with us?

My current hope is that we deal Hayward to Miami for Winslow/Olynyk or to Orlando for Gordon/Fournier. Gordon and Winslow can play the 4, they’re junior Haywards in facilitating ability, and you open up new trade possibilities.

I think we have a shot at Myles Turner - he and Sabonis aren’t an ideal fit, I think Pritchard is bluffing about that, and about an extension for Sabonis, in hope it will pressure someone into making an offer. If we could send them Aaron Gordon, we end up with:

Kemba/Edwards/Wanamaker
Smart/Fournier/Langford
Brown/Ojeleye
Tatum/Grant
Turner/Kanter/Rob/Theis/Poirier

Fournier is a big salary chip you can either look to unload or package with Langford/Rob/MEM if another star becomes available..
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#16 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Sun Sep 1, 2019 4:21 am

Looking to trade JB? No. Open to trading JB for a good deal? Yes.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#17 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Sep 1, 2019 6:28 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I think we have a shot at Myles Turner - he and Sabonis aren’t an ideal fit, I think Pritchard is bluffing about that, and about an extension for Sabonis, in hope it will pressure someone into making an offer.

Why would the Pacers trade Turner and keep Sabonis?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#18 » by cloverleaf » Sun Sep 1, 2019 7:02 am

GoGreen wrote:If there's a legit power forward out there? Someone with youth, skill and size? I think you gotta think hard about it.

But, bringing me to my point, it all depends what's out there, and if Danny feels comfortable paying Jaylen that kind of money. Would I? Ehh... idk. This is a big year for him.

Sabonis is still of interest to me. The Pacers aren't going to want to pay both Turner and Sabonis big money, and the C's really need a superior player up front.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#19 » by cloverleaf » Sun Sep 1, 2019 7:03 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:I think we have a shot at Myles Turner - he and Sabonis aren’t an ideal fit, I think Pritchard is bluffing about that, and about an extension for Sabonis, in hope it will pressure someone into making an offer.

Agreed. The Turner ship has sailed. Sabonis is the guy still on the dock.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#20 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Sep 1, 2019 8:39 am

cloverleaf wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:

Agreed. The Turner ship has sailed. Sabonis is the guy still on the dock.

It would depend partly on the return for each. I’m higher on Turner for how he’d fit our team and timeline, but both he and Sabonis are incomplete players. They could trade whoever brings the better return.

Why trade Turner? Sabonis is a much better offensive player - he’s nearly a lock to stretch his range. Defense is more uncertain. Turner actually had a negative OBPM last year - Sabonis can be a 20-10 big on good efficiency, with 3-5 assists. The ball would move better with Sabonis at the 5, you limit his defensive liability and have room for an agile stretch 4 because he rebounds so well. It’s also easier to get value for Turner because of his salary.

Return to Boston Celtics