Utah Jazz Players in the FIBA World Cup(in China)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,666

Re: Utah Jazz Players in the FIBA World Cup(in China) 

Post#121 » by Diop » Sun Sep 1, 2019 9:19 am

Goober wrote:Can we all accept Joe Ingles as our superstar?

When ingles starts the offense good things happen
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#122 » by KqWIN » Sun Sep 1, 2019 12:37 pm

First game started up. Mitchell still deeply in love with mid range. He's hunting it. It's the only shot he wants.

If no one tells him that it's the worst shot in the game, he will never improve and only get worse.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#123 » by stitches » Sun Sep 1, 2019 12:50 pm

Meanwhile, Rudy shutting down Germany. They didn't score until the 2 minute mark of the 1st quarter. Score after the 1st Q 16-4.
stitches
RealGM

Post#124 » by stitches » Sun Sep 1, 2019 12:55 pm

KqWIN wrote:First game started up. Mitchell still deeply in love with mid range. He's hunting it. It's the only shot he wants.

If no one tells him that it's the worst shot in the game, he will never improve and only get worse.

Pop won't tell him not to. SAS were the team that shot most mid-range shots last year.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,957

Post#125 » by goober » Sun Sep 1, 2019 1:28 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:First game started up. Mitchell still deeply in love with mid range. He's hunting it. It's the only shot he wants.

Pop won't tell him not to. SAS were the team that shot most mid-range shots last year.

It could be for Pops system right now that he’s taking more. He’ll be playing with a lot more shooters here in October so I’m trying to not jump the gun. FIBA play is a lot different too
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#126 » by KqWIN » Sun Sep 1, 2019 2:00 pm

After a bad first shot that triggered me...Mitchell has been awesome on both ends. He's been the best player on the court tonight.
stitches
RealGM

Post#127 » by stitches » Sun Sep 1, 2019 2:08 pm

KqWIN wrote:After a bad first shot that triggered me...Mitchell has been awesome on both ends. He's been the best player on the court tonight.

I might be a bit frustrated by his constant search of the midranger but I've been very impressed with the rest of his game. He's been the best defender on that team by a wide margin and overall he's doing all the right things. He boxes out, he contests shots, he puts in effort. His corner 3s have been nice too...
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#128 » by KqWIN » Sun Sep 1, 2019 2:21 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:After a bad first shot that triggered me...Mitchell has been awesome on both ends. He's been the best player on the court tonight.

I might be a bit frustrated by his constant search of the midranger but I've been very impressed with the rest of his game. He's been the best defender on that team by a wide margin and overall he's doing all the right things. He boxes out, he contests shots, he puts in effort. His corner 3s have been nice too...

His defense has been awesome, he's doing it all. I noticed his rebounding too. He may not be getting the bound himself, but he's consistently putting in an effort to get a body on someone and box out. We'll need that from him this year.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#129 » by KqWIN » Sun Sep 1, 2019 2:36 pm

Ingles: 13pt, 9ast, 5reb, 60.4 ts%, +18 in 16 pt win.

Mitchell: 16pt, 2reb, 2ast, 72.7 ts%, +16 in 21 pt win.

Gobert: 9pt, 9reb, 5blk 62.5 ts% +14 in 4 pt win.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#130 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 3:15 pm

Glad to hear our Jazz players are off to good starts! I need to find a new way to watch the games. The USA exhibition games were broadcast on my NBA TV, but these real games are not.

The complete box scores, team stats and stat leaders for World Cup are available in link below. Just scroll left or right to get to the game you want.
http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#131 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 4:36 pm

Diop wrote:
Goober wrote:Can we all accept Joe Ingles as our superstar?

When ingles starts the offense good things happen

Looks like Boomer-leader Joe Ingles could be playing a lot of minutes this tournament. Opening game Joe played 33:53 mins; Rudy played 30:32 mins and Donovan played 25:18 mins. Knocking on wood that they all stay healthy.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#132 » by El Hespiritu » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Stumps is doing fine enough 'til now... he's the best hope for France to get some metal.
Here, in comparison with best Jordanian player:

-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#133 » by KqWIN » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:54 pm

What a terrible game for Mitchell and team USA. Lot's of choking, but not to be outdone by Turkey's 4 consecutive missed FT's. Tatum got hurt at the end too.

Mitchell literally took go ahead points away with an offensive goaltend in OT...but his superhuman offensive rebound at the end of regulation got them to OT in the first place. Overall very good on defense, couldn't make shots on offense. I do think the majority of his shots were good shots, however. There were some cringy moments from the true black holes on roster (Turner, Tatum namely).
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#134 » by sipclip » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:16 pm

This current USA team is so poorly built it is crazy. Why they would go with guys like Plumlee and Lopez over Isaac and JJJ is crazy to me. As far as Donovan goes he has looked like a wreck offensively any time I have watched.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#135 » by KqWIN » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:48 pm

Donovan was bad offensively because he missed shots. That's ok IMO. Almost all of his shots were spot up 3's and shots at the end of clock where he had to get one up. The late turnover was bad, and so was the embarrassing goaltend. I am glad he grabbed the rim though. If he didn't he might have taken another fall.
stitches
RealGM

Post#136 » by stitches » Tue Sep 3, 2019 5:26 pm

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#137 » by Catchall » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:33 pm

Mitchell through the first 2 FIBA tourney games is averaging:
12.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.0 apg, 1.5 spg, 43.5% 2FG, 38.5% 3FG

During the 4 exhibition games, he averaged:
12.5 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.0 spg, 42.6% 2FG, 33.3% 3FG

Seems pretty typical.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#138 » by KqWIN » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:43 pm

One thing I'm a little worried about is the minutes that Ingles is racking up. I think he's leading the tournament in minutes, and AUS is highly relying on him to carry the playmaking load. With that said, he is the most durable player in the league.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,913

Post#139 » by mudsak » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:04 am

I'm fine with him developing that aspect of his game tbh. I know the analytics say mid-range is bad, and truthfully Synder's system will dictate that few mid-range shots are taken.

However... The NBA has been evolving towards the analytics. It is becoming much more integrated into schemes/systems. Teams are building offenses, and designing defensive schemes specifically to be as efficient analytically as possible.

Midrange game has become a stepchild of the NBA as a result. 2 of the best players in the league are insanely proficient at mid-range game, and it is one of the reasons why they are so dangerous. KD, and Kawhi. Those two players can literally score from any place on the floor. They take a lot of mid-range shots because defenses leave space. CP3 is another great example. I'd be willing to put money on the fact that Pop has San Antonio shooting more Mid-Range shots than anyone else in the league simply to exploit the fact that every one else is prepping for the opposite. Pop is no fool.

In the end of the day I think Donovan is a natural scorer, and I'd like to see him develop his strengths from any place on the court. Becoming deadly from mid-range will only add layers of effectiveness to his bag.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#140 » by KqWIN » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:29 am

mudsak wrote:

I'm fine with him developing that aspect of his game tbh. I know the analytics say mid-range is bad, and truthfully Synder's system will dictate that few mid-range shots are taken.

However... The NBA has been evolving towards the analytics. It is becoming much more integrated into schemes/systems. Teams are building offenses, and designing defensive schemes specifically to be as efficient analytically as possible.

Midrange game has become a stepchild of the NBA as a result. 2 of the best players in the league are insanely proficient at mid-range game, and it is one of the reasons why they are so dangerous. KD, and Kawhi. Those two players can literally score from any place on the floor. They take a lot of mid-range shots because defenses leave space. CP3 is another great example. I'd be willing to put money on the fact that Pop has San Antonio shooting more Mid-Range shots than anyone else in the league simply to exploit the fact that every one else is prepping for the opposite. Pop is no fool.

In the end of the day I think Donovan is a natural scorer, and I'd like to see him develop his strengths from any place on the court. Becoming deadly from mid-range will only add layers of effectiveness to his bag.

The mid range shot is situational. But it's not a good thing to excessively hunt for a mid range jump shot. For awhile there it looked like the only shot he wanted. Even now, he's completely uninterested in attacking the basket. While he played well today, he didn't aggressively attack the basket to score one time. You can probably count the number of times he's done that in all USA games with your hands. I think he's shot zero free throws in the world cup and 8 FT's including all the friendlies. That is really bad.

It's the worst part of his game, and while improving is good, making it the centerpiece of his game would be terrible for his development. He won't become an effective player if he completely axes drives to the basket in favor of mid range pullups.

I do not believe it is a system thing either. When a player comes off a pick and roll, the choice to drive to the basket or shoot a pull up is not the system. That's a choice made by the player. Mitchell is making the choice to shoot a mid ranger every time, and it looks like he's tunneling on it even before the action starts.

Return to Utah Jazz