ImageImageImage

Poll: Should DA be looking trade JB

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Should DA be looking trade JB

yes
37%
no
63%

Total votes: 76

Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,893

Re: Poll: Should DA be looking trade JB 

Post#41 » by Joshyjess » Sun Sep 1, 2019 11:39 pm

I really think JB is going to be better (especially this year) than JT. I hope this is a major breakout year for Brown. He has so many great tools that could make him an amazing player.
The first month or so of the season is going to tell us a lot about what happens to Brown. If he shows immediate improvement, I see him as one of our best "go to" guys. Last year Brown had some good games, but he also had some real stinkers as well. I'm hoping that all the craziness of last season explains his problems, and that this year we see a focused Brown who takes the next step in his development.
So, to answer the question - No, the C's should not be looking to trade Brown.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#42 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Sep 2, 2019 1:00 am

absolutely. He's at best a low end 3 and D player. Unfortunately that's his ceiling not his present form. He's currently just an average 3 (34% two of his three seasons) and average D (especially team) He's on the last year of his contract and due to the ineptness around the league at the G.M. position someone will be stupid enough to offer him way more than the $12-14 million a year, a player of his caliber, deserves. Hopefully they do, so Danny isn't, despite his hubris and need to have everyone think he's not the disastrous drafter that he is, tempted to match it.

I don't ask much from a shooting guard. Be a good shooter who can create for himself and others, dribble the ball without having to look down at times, and play great D. Sadly, Jaylen doesn't do any of that. The fact that people are throwing around huge numbers and max offers for a player who is literally barely better than Jeremy Lamb just exposes their lack of basketball knowledge. I get that you'd be paying for the hope that he'll miraculously turn into Jimmy Butler but there's a huge difference between the two players. Jimmy Butler doesn't struggle to simply dribble the ball. He also played outstanding defense from the start and he has a high BBIQ unlike Jaylen.

If Danny does sign him to anything over $14 million we'll NEVER be contenders for the length of that contract. But hey, if that helps get Danny fired I'm all for it. 1 championship in 15 years (and he owes that to McHale) isn't acceptable.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#43 » by Taget » Mon Sep 2, 2019 3:37 am

I just can't see both Hayward and JB on the payroll with large contracts. One of them gets traded.

As for the specific question of whether we should trade Jaylen. Of course it depends on what you get in return. As always with DA our entire roster is available for the right price. Remember when the NBA slapped DA's knuckles for trying to include Doc Rivers in trade negotiations? Hell. He'll even throw in Austin for the right price.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#44 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Sep 2, 2019 9:12 am

Taget wrote:I just can't see both Hayward and JB on the payroll with large contracts. One of them gets traded.

As for the specific question of whether we should trade Jaylen. Of course it depends on what you get in return. As always with DA our entire roster is available for the right price. Remember when the NBA slapped DA's knuckles for trying to include Doc Rivers in trade negotiations? Hell. He'll even throw in Austin for the right price.

For sure, I've been saying it for a while. It's Danny's call as to who it's going to be.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#45 » by Triple7 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 11:03 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:
Roddy wrote:Wait until december. I'm OK with Jaylen at $22 million if he has improved and has a big impact on the court.
If he is the same player and doesn't want a between $15-17 million contract, trade him.
If he wants more than $22 million, trade him.

22 mill is reasonable, for a future border line all-star. He's only 22 years old. I think even 24 million would be bargain.

`
True, 4/100 is a good price range. I wanna see what he does during the regular season, but I think that it's a risky situation for Ainge. If Brown averages 17-18, he will go into a 30 mil price range and unless Danny trades him, C's will have a tough time affording his next contract.

It will be hard to really gauge Brown’s upside or capability this season, considering he could be the 4th or 5th option in the lineup, next to walker, Tatum, hayward and possibly Kanter. Unless he shows elite defensive skills this year with some playmaking abilities, which i doubt the latter. It would be really hard to pay him without knowing his true upside. I think it’s best to trade him, or let other team offer the money, and Ainge decides if he’ll match.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#46 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Sep 2, 2019 11:06 am

Triple7 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:
22 mill is reasonable, for a future border line all-star. He's only 22 years old. I think even 24 million would be bargain.

`
True, 4/100 is a good price range. I wanna see what he does during the regular season, but I think that it's a risky situation for Ainge. If Brown averages 17-18, he will go into a 30 mil price range and unless Danny trades him, C's will have a tough time affording his next contract.

It will be hard to really gauge Brown’s upside or capability this season, considering he could be the 4th or 5th option in the lineup, next to walker, Tatum, hayward and possibly Kanter. Unless he shows elite defensive skills this year with some playmaking abilities, which i doubt the latter. It would be really hard to pay him without knowing his true upside. I think it’s best to trade him, or let other team offer the money, and Ainge decides if he’ll match.

Yea that's what I meant by wanting to see how he does. It is true that we might not know, but at least we will gather a bit more info. Sadly if he has a good season, an unexpected one, he will get offers starting at 25+ mils, imo, cause next year's FA class is weak af and Brown is gonna be 23 then. So it's kind of a tough situation to be in for Danny.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,728

Post#47 » by OldCeltics » Mon Sep 2, 2019 2:58 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:`

Yea that's what I meant by wanting to see how he does. It is true that we might not know, but at least we will gather a bit more info. Sadly if he has a good season, an unexpected one, he will get offers starting at 25+ mils, imo, cause next year's FA class is weak af and Brown is gonna be 23 then. So it's kind of a tough situation to be in for Danny.

He is still only 23 years old. In the past 3 years in the playoffs, he always steps ups to average around 15-17ppg, top 3 on team.

Even as he stands he is worth 22 million. If he shows improvement in FTs, ball handling, decision making, then it goes up in the 22 million - 28 million range. Anything over 28 would be an overpay unless he shows us border line all-star level.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,855

Post#48 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Sep 2, 2019 3:53 pm

AFAIK, Prime Michael Jordan isn't available to be traded, so there's really no one worth trading Jaylen for.

Spoiler:
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#49 » by brackdan70 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 3:56 pm

OldCeltics wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

He is still only 23 years old. In the past 3 years in the playoffs, he always steps ups to average around 15-17ppg, top 3 on team.

Even as he stands he is worth 22 million. If he shows improvement in FTs, ball handling, decision making, then it goes up in the 22 million - 28 million range. Anything over 28 would be an overpay unless he shows us border line all-star level.

My sources are telling me he is still 22, but agree with the rest.
Sign here
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#50 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Sep 2, 2019 4:03 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

My sources are telling me he is still 22, but agree with the rest.

He will be 23 at the end of the year and heading into FA. :D
Good assessment:

Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#51 » by Big Joke Line » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:19 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Depends on how much he wants for his new deal, and what we can get in return for him. Jaylen is a good player, but his ceiling, IMO, is being the 3rd best player on a contender. I don't really want to pay him close to the max when we will likely have to pay Tatum the max when his deal is up.

At this point I’m against giving Tatum the max. I hate his hustle and intensity and would never max a player I have those questions about. If JB can be had for significantly less than the max I think he’s the better value at this point.
Hey Man, nice shot!
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by Big Joke Line » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:26 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:I think we have a shot at Myles Turner - he and Sabonis aren’t an ideal fit, I think Pritchard is bluffing about that, and about an extension for Sabonis, in hope it will pressure someone into making an offer.

Why would the Pacers trade Turner and keep Sabonis?

Agreed. The Turner ship has sailed. Sabonis is the guy still on the dock.

Caveat - I typically only watch Celtics games - based on that JB is and will be the far superior player.
Hey Man, nice shot!
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man

Post#53 » by Big Joke Line » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:31 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:The opportunity with a player like Sabonis is to get him at a discount - like, Kanter and a 1st at the deadline. If you’re trying to lock in a young long-term center, there are going to be other opportunities. And we already have Rob Williams, who has as much raw talent as a rebounder and rim protector as Sabonis or Turner. We don’t need to make a deal just to make a deal.

This. Exactly this.
Hey Man, nice shot!
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#54 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:28 pm

You have to let young players play out their rookie contracts, especially if they were top three picks. Jaylen hasn't had the normal path of a high lottery pick, we forget he didn't see a whole lot of minutes as a rookie, he hasn't seen the usg most lottery picks get. It's also crazy to see fans say his ceiling is a low end 3&D :roll:, I suggest looking at guys like Beal and Dipo's #rs their soph season. With Rozier and Morris especially gone there will be more oppertunities, Ainge doesn't need to make a decision till the deadline as any team looking to trade for him now will do so with the idea of resigning him.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#55 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:32 pm

Big Joke Line wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Depends on how much he wants for his new deal, and what we can get in return for him. Jaylen is a good player, but his ceiling, IMO, is being the 3rd best player on a contender. I don't really want to pay him close to the max when we will likely have to pay Tatum the max when his deal is up.

At this point I’m against giving Tatum the max. I hate his hustle and intensity and would never max a player I have those questions about. If JB can be had for significantly less than the max I think he’s the better value at this point.

Watching Tatum in Fiba is a little frusterating. He's still taking those bad step back long twos and missing bunny layups. He's been very inefficient so far. You would hope spending a summer with Pop would prove fruitful, let's hope by the time he gets back to Boston his game will be more polished.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#56 » by cloverleaf » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:22 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Big Joke Line wrote:

Watching Tatum in Fiba is a little frusterating. He's still taking those bad step back long twos and missing bunny layups. He's been very inefficient so far. You would hope spending a summer with Pop would prove fruitful, let's hope by the time he gets back to Boston his game will be more polished.

One game in to the actual tournament and Smart, Tatum and Brown are all in the bottom 5 on the roster for FG%, at 40, 36 and 33% respectively.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#57 » by Dannyboy36 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 9:05 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Big Joke Line wrote:

I just don’t think he’s an instinctual player at all. He gets guys off balance and can just attack the defender’s front foot for straight line drives and still pulls it back for the step back. He just goes back to moves he’s practiced over and over. It makes him good at taking tough guarded shots but passes up the edge he creates from the defense. He young so it’s not like he won’t improve but I’ve never seen this top 5, top 10, or perennial all star that he’s thought to be.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#58 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon Sep 2, 2019 11:40 pm

I was very high on Tatum coming out of Duke but he had some clear bad habits as a freshman: too much slop in his moves, wasted dribbles, and a tendency to settle for stepback jumpshots. It was a surprise to me that he showed none of those flaws as a rookie, and that he took his perimeter shooting up a level.

My impression is that he didn’t show his bad habits as a pro because he didn’t have the opportunity. He was adjusting to the NBA, he was deferential, and he mostly drained corner threes and attacked on close-outs. With more opportunity to look for his shot, he started to bring back his bad iso habits.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,728

Post#59 » by OldCeltics » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:01 am

My opinion which is not a popular one is that JB has just as much talent as JT. In the playoffs the last 3 years, Brown has always stepped up. During the season he has averaged 47% FG. He's never had a problem scoring.

Just improve FTs, dribbling, and decision making, and you've got a star. Only 22 yo.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,440

Post#60 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:08 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Can't see a trade out there to be had. Myles Turner interests me, but Indiana has more need for him than Brown so it wouldn't be anything for them. Nothing really makes any sense right now.

I think by Christmas the 'trade Jaylen' threads wil be replaced with 'extend Jaylen right now!!' threads. Kid is a baller..

I’d trade him for Jonathan Isaac, that’s it. I wouldn’t extend now. Do we want to keep open a scenario where Hayward opts out and Anthony Davis signs a max with us?

My current hope is that we deal Hayward to Miami for Winslow/Olynyk or to Orlando for Gordon/Fournier. Gordon and Winslow can play the 4, they’re junior Haywards in facilitating ability, and you open up new trade possibilities.

I think we have a shot at Myles Turner - he and Sabonis aren’t an ideal fit, I think Pritchard is bluffing about that, and about an extension for Sabonis, in hope it will pressure someone into making an offer. If we could send them Aaron Gordon, we end up with:

Kemba/Edwards/Wanamaker
Smart/Fournier/Langford
Brown/Ojeleye
Tatum/Grant
Turner/Kanter/Rob/Theis/Poirier

Fournier is a big salary chip you can either look to unload or package with Langford/Rob/MEM if another star becomes available..

This genuinely made me chuckle.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.

Return to Boston Celtics