Donovan Mitchell 2019/20 Season Expectations:

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Donovan Mitchell 2019/20 Season Expectations: 

Post#21 » by KqWIN » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:34 pm

In2ition wrote:Shouldn't we all be seeing better efficiency from Donovan on Team USA? What am I missing?
s he playing against better competition therefore it's not what is expected?
Is it too early?
Is he just getting his bearings under him?
Has he been amazing and the box score hasn't shown how efficient he has been?
Is it the international rules that are causing efficiency stumbles?
Is it that he has too much talent on this team or not enough?

He's been completely adverse to attacking the hoop and is in love with mid range jumpshots. It's nearly impossible for anyone to be efficient with the way he's playing right now.

To his credit, however, I think he's been a standout defensively. He's looking much more like the player he was drafted as.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#22 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:37 pm

Maybe he's trying to avoid injury?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#23 » by KDBG » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:31 pm

Dark horse MVP candidate. He put up 27/5/5, or something like that since Jan. 1. So, it's not unrealistic to expect that with better efficiency this year with better spacing. Also, I think Conley and Bogie will take a step back, and let Donovan, and to a lesser extent, Gobert shine on offense.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#24 » by vryadli » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Very serious questions. There were a very strong statements that his efficiency will go up as soon as he start to play with better teammates, especially better PG and shooting big. In team USA he got all that, plus weaker competition - and he is doing very similar things with very similar results - good defense, putting pressure on opponent defense, high volume low efficiency shots of questionable selections and not especially impressive without-ball movement.

So far those are the very same things which he did with old Jazz roster and team USA is not exactly same as new Jazz , butI'd say it's close enough to cause heralded changes in his game.
In2ition
Senior
And1: 259

Post#25 » by In2ition » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:54 pm

KDBG wrote:Dark horse MVP candidate. He put up 27/5/5, or something like that since Jan. 1. So, it's not unrealistic to expect that with better efficiency this year with better spacing. Also, I think Conley and Bogie will take a step back, and let Donovan, and to a lesser extent, Gobert shine on offense.

If the Wizards win over half their games this season and Beal puts up the same exact numbers he did last season including efficiency, does he automatically vault over Mitchell in an MVP candidate? I'll be curious how high of an efficiency jump that Mitchell will have to make or achieve to be in the discussion.

What kind of efficiency jump and TS% do you expect him to get to this season?
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#26 » by dautjazz » Sun Sep 1, 2019 11:18 pm

Difficult to say, we added a ton of offense to the team, but I still can see him get up to 25ppg, with elevated efficiency. I feel like he wont need a lot more touches, but he should find himself open a lot with two more 20ppg scorers on the court in Conley and Bojan, not to mention Rudy keeps getting better offensively. Mitchell's shot looks wet in today's game, midrange and outside shot looks real good.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#27 » by KqWIN » Mon Sep 2, 2019 1:41 am

**** it...Let's go full bandwagon. He's going to be a cross between Dame/Beal offensively and a mini Marcus Smart on defense. Oladipo 17/18 type season as a top 10-15 player.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#28 » by DelaneyRudd » Tue Sep 3, 2019 5:14 am

It’s trite but the stat that matters will be win record. The team is deep. If he is above 25 and 5 he’s a MVP candidate. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Conley and Gobert both get all-star nods with Mitchell getting the shaft. It will be interesting if the Jazz manage to have the best record by all-star time if they get the super star and the two most snubbed guys in the league in.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#29 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 8:41 pm

I voted for Conley ahead of Mitchell in the polls for NBA player rankings for coming season on the RealGM General Board. I think Mitchell has a chance to be as good or better overall player than Conley, but I am not sure it is going to happen in Mitchell's third season. If I am wrong, that's great! I am also optimistically assuming a negligible dropoff for Conley from last season, so if Mitchell is playing as well or better than Conley this season, we would be really good! Real GMers ended up ranking Mitchell #26 and Conley #27. Go Jazz!

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Mike+Conley&player_id1_select=Mike+Conley&y1=2019&player_id1=conlemi01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Donovan+Mitchell&player_id2_select=Donovan+Mitchell&y2=2019&player_id2=mitchdo01&idx=players
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#30 » by KqWIN » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:35 pm

Mitchell was very good today. He wasn't that involved in the offense. Of his 8 shots, I bet 5-6 of them were shots at the end of clock when someone had to take him. He seems to be the designated guy to pass the ball to with 5 seconds left on the clock.

His passing was really good today. He made several good reads against the zone. I know it's just Japan, but I thought Pop made some adjustments on how to attack the zone. Instead of flashing Turner at the high post, who is trash with the ball, he was having a perimeter player cut in and try to make a play from there. Mitchell did a good job in those situations.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#31 » by stitches » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:10 pm

yeah, I liked what I saw from Mitchell... Team USA seemed to overpass a lot today. It's probably Pop emphasizing it because of the struggles in the previous game. He wants the ball to move and move it did. Maybe more than necessary at times but I guess it's better like this than the alternative.

Gobert is absolute force in this WC. He's playing well so far. He got a unsportsmanlike foul for a dirty screen and almost caused a fight on the floor :/

Ingles missed everything from the field but his floor game was great, He was playmaking and making the right decisions all game long. That was a good game to watch BTW. Those are two good teams that might be in contention for the medals.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#32 » by erudite23 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 pm

The only number I'm going to care about this season is his TS%. If he can't get it into the very high 50s--and really it needs to be above 60--then I'm going to significantly downgrade my expectations of his career.

It's year 3, he's had time to acclimate and for the game to slow down. Either he's going to start hunting high % looks now or he's never going to. He's gotta cut those mid range shots way down, limit the floater, get to the rim more and learn to dribble through and reset instead of jacking up a low % look OR pass out to an open shooter more often.

He's got the range and touch to be a consistent 40% shooter from 3 and he can finish at a high rate at the rim, so the toolset is there. It's a mental thing and if he can't make the switch now I see it as being increasingly unlikely that he will moving forward.

There's a good chance Donovan will never be a real 1st option. If he's just a volume scorer, his value is capped in a major way. This season is make or break for him in my book. I want to start seeing it.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#33 » by KqWIN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 pm

^^ If he's that efficient, he's basically Wade. I'm expecting big things but he doesn't have to be prime Wade to have a successful season.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#34 » by Clay Davis » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:03 am

KqWIN wrote:^^ If he's that efficient, he's basically Wade. I'm expecting big things but he doesn't have to be prime Wade to have a successful season.
D Wade with a 3 :|

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
mjvile
Senior
And1: 52

Post#35 » by mjvile » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:12 pm

erudite23 wrote:The only number I'm going to care about this season is his TS%. If he can't get it into the very high 50s--and really it needs to be above 60--then I'm going to significantly downgrade my expectations of his career.

It's year 3, he's had time to acclimate and for the game to slow down. Either he's going to start hunting high % looks now or he's never going to. He's gotta cut those mid range shots way down, limit the floater, get to the rim more and learn to dribble through and reset instead of jacking up a low % look OR pass out to an open shooter more often.

He's got the range and touch to be a consistent 40% shooter from 3 and he can finish at a high rate at the rim, so the toolset is there. It's a mental thing and if he can't make the switch now I see it as being increasingly unlikely that he will moving forward.

There's a good chance Donovan will never be a real 1st option. If he's just a volume scorer, his value is capped in a major way. This season is make or break for him in my book. I want to start seeing it.

How many years did it take Hayward.... even if Mitchell has a subpar year he is still on a higher trajectory than most NBA players.

People need to ease on his expectations, thats why the FO got a better supporting cast to take the burden off him and let him develop on his own pace. Hopefully he continues to do better than excepted and we get that Chip!!
One of the greatest ways to stay in shape even if your not over weight! http://mike7101.eliteweightlosspackage.com
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#36 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:11 pm

Mitchell closed out his World Cup adventure with a very efficient game this morning: 16 points on 6 attempts, 10 assists, 3 rebs and just 2 TOVs. Hopefully the willingness Mitchell showed during World Cup to share the ball will carry over to benefit the Jazz and our new spot up shooters.

I am really proud of Mitchell for sticking with the World Cup challenge when other stars were dropping out. Even though USA didn't medal, I suspect the experience that included coaching from some of the best in the business, Pop, Kerr and Van Gundy, was a positive growth experience for Mitchell.

Go Mitchell! Go Jazz!

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/player/Donovan-Mitchell
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#37 » by mudsak » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:50 pm

50CalClips wrote:Donovan Mitchell will improve his efficiency
Donovan Mitchell will receive MVP votes

If he plays well enough to sneak his way into that conversation I think we've got ourselves a pretty damn scary team.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#38 » by stitches » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Third year Wade, here we come! Give us the 'ship now!
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#39 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:10 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

Third year Wade, here we come! Give us the 'ship now!

That is a LOT of time and effort. Does being able to make the 3pt shot offset the fouls drawn?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#40 » by KqWIN » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:44 am

They may have similar moves, but Wade is on another level from a physical standpoint. Wade much more size, explosiveness, and strength.

Production wise, I think he'll be close to where Beal was offensively last season (25.6/5.0/5.6 on 58% TS) but better defensively. His defense was great this summer for team USA. This is a very ambitious standard...but if he's able to do that he'll be in the (+3,+1) off/def area which would put him as a top 15ish player in the league.

The area that's actually keeping Donovan back is his transition. If you look at the more efficient guys at his position like Beal and Booker, the real difference is that Mitchell has been trash in transition and the others have been great. For two seasons in a row he's been unthinkably bad.

Return to Utah Jazz