ImageImageImageImageImage

Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#101 » by killmongrel » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:47 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Did a bit of research, here is a list of free agents that the Warriors could have a chance of adding to their roster in 2020 for either the MLE or vet. minimum. Of course we'll still have the TPE next summer as well, but that's a different topic. Who do you guys add?

Chandler Parsons - SF - Finally off his bad contract. Isn't a bad deep bench player on a vet. mimimum. But probably MLE market priced.

Kent Bazemore - SG - Okay defense. Solid 3 point shooter. Probably gonna be priced around MLE.

Goran Dragic - PG - Might be possible at the MLE, but if the Warriors keep DLO, I don't see them paying much for a backup pg.

Jeff Teague - PG - See above.

Andre Iguodala - SF - I guarantee you he will be back with the Warriors next summer. Probably part of the MLE or vet. minimum.

Tony Snell - SF - Not worth the MLE which he'll be priced around or more.

Jae Crowder - SF - Might be available for the MLE.

Alex Len - C - I actually like this guy. Can stretch the floor and woud be the traditional center we need if WCS walks. MLE priced.

Kyle O'Quinn - C - Undersized center, but would be solid coming off the bench. Would be a steal if he's priced at vet. minimum.

James Ennis - SF - Has a player option with Philly for the second year. But if offered the MLE, he could leave. Is he worth it?

So this is pretty much all the players that the Warriors might be interested in and might be in their price range. Who they choose will have a lot to do with how the team looks this year with DLO and the young players. The MLE might also be used to try to keep players like GR3, Alec Burks, or WCS should one or more impress.

And like I said, other than that, the Warriors still have the TPE to use to bolster the team.

I did this exercise a while back. Not that shiny a list really. Unfortunately the league has adjusted and the players the Warriors want have a much bigger pool of possible employers now so their offers have climbed.
Agreed. And those are the players that I feel the Warriors would be interested in that are in their price range. Vet. Minimum and even the MLE is just not going to get much done these days. That's why it's important that the Warriors hit on those draft picks and at least a few of the rookies and young players like Evans and/or Spellman turn into at least solid rotational players.

We can also hope that if one of the players in Burks, Robinson, or WCS play well, we can retain some or one of them by using the MLE or just because they like playing for the team. Aside from that, only other option Warriors have to get better is the TPE. Going to take some skills from Myers.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: Say, we go forward with DLo and Draymond, how do you build a team around this core? 

Post#102 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:43 am

killmongrel wrote:Agreed. And those are the players that I feel the Warriors would be interested in that are in their price range. Vet. Minimum and even the MLE is just not going to get much done these days. That's why it's important that the Warriors hit on those draft picks and at least a few of the rookies and young players like Evans and/or Spellman turn into at least solid rotational players.

We can also hope that if one of the players in Burks, Robinson, or WCS play well, we can retain some or one of them by using the MLE or just because they like playing for the team. Aside from that, only other option Warriors have to get better is the TPE. Going to take some skills from Myers.

The Spurs model had them trading for players who were not living up to their draft position after a year or two. then developing them into better players (and hopefully MUCH better). The Warriors have been trying to find those players on the vet min scrap heap, but I hope the front office is working to pick up some young "veterans" with issues.

Orlando gives up on players way too early ... maybe the Warriors can pry Jonathan Isaac free if he doesn't take a big step this year.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#103 » by killmongrel » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:50 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Agreed. And those are the players that I feel the Warriors would be interested in that are in their price range. Vet. Minimum and even the MLE is just not going to get much done these days. That's why it's important that the Warriors hit on those draft picks and at least a few of the rookies and young players like Evans and/or Spellman turn into at least solid rotational players.

The Spurs model had them trading for players who were not living up to their draft position after a year or two. then developing them into better players (and hopefully MUCH better). The Warriors have been trying to find those players on the vet min scrap heap, but I hope the front office is working to pick up some young "veterans" with issues.

Orlando gives up on players way too early ... maybe the Warriors can pry Jonathan Isaac free if he doesn't take a big step this year.
Exactly. Even though it's a bit different, that's why I love the Spellman trade so much. I'm kinda looking at somebody like Josh Jackson. But don't know how problematic he is.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#104 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:20 pm

killmongrel wrote:Exactly. Even though it's a bit different, that's why I love the Spellman trade so much. I'm kinda looking at somebody like Josh Jackson. But don't know how problematic he is.

Yeah, Jackson was on my list too. Or on the more expensive side (but possibly still under-rated) would be Aaron Gordon.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#105 » by xdrta+ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:53 am

I thought this was a pretty good take on Draymond, by Dwight Howard of all people.

“I want to be whatever a team needs me to be,” Howard told Charania in an interview last month. “I’ve played in every situation so far. I used to really hate how Draymond (Green) plays, but what I noticed watching him during these playoffs was that he does everything for the team. He’s everywhere. He’ll get a tech, he’ll take a charge, he’ll be everywhere on defense. He’s talking. He does everything. It doesn’t show up in the stat sheet, but it shows up in the mind of everyone watching. I want to be that person.”
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#106 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:05 am

xdrta+ wrote:I thought this was a pretty good take on Draymond, by Dwight Howard of all people.

“I want to be whatever a team needs me to be,” Howard told Charania in an interview last month. “I’ve played in every situation so far. I used to really hate how Draymond (Green) plays, but what I noticed watching him during these playoffs was that he does everything for the team. He’s everywhere. He’ll get a tech, he’ll take a charge, he’ll be everywhere on defense. He’s talking. He does everything. It doesn’t show up in the stat sheet, but it shows up in the mind of everyone watching. I want to be that person.”

That sounds as delusional as the player who lost a playoff round and declared he already considered himself a champion. Oh yeah, same guy.

Howard is a meat head and the polar opposite of Dray.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#107 » by Mylie10 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:38 pm

Only took Howard a million years and 14 kids out of wedlock to figure out he needs to modify his game, lol
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#108 » by SF_Warriors » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:52 pm

Really hoping they can get a contributing wing or big in the draft and also starter quality (won't hold my breath)

Thank you killmongrel for a list of FAs.

Who I am hoping for:
Crowder - My #1 target..tough, can start, defend, hit open threes
Len - Lower to mid end starting caliber big who can block shots, rebound, spread the floor, and also someone who might not go for a big price... would be a solid combo with looney

Would not mind:
Quinn - I get mo speights vibes form this guy, in a good way of course
Baze - Fan fave, can defend and hit the open three

I don't think we will be picking up a guy like dragic or teague, we have more pressing needs elsewhere but wouldnt mind either for cheap.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#109 » by killmongrel » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:50 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:Really hoping they can get a contributing wing or big in the draft and also starter quality (won't hold my breath)

Who I am hoping for:
Len - Lower to mid end starting caliber big who can block shots, rebound, spread the floor, and also someone who might not go for a big price... would be a solid combo with looney

Would not mind:

I don't think we will be picking up a guy like dragic or teague, we have more pressing needs elsewhere but wouldnt mind either for cheap.

Yeah, I agree that it is very unlikely the Warriors use more than the vet. minimum for a backup pg if we keep DLO. It's one of the benefits of DLO working for the Warriors. I'd like to see Evans at least take a step forward and be good enough to play a few minutes a game at the 1. Hell, I think Jordan Poole has a possibility of maybe playing a little at the 1 as well. He was looking good in SL playing the point. If Burks impresses, maybe we can retain him for cheap. And we still have Ky Bowman to evaluate. I'd like for the Warriors to give that kid Kevin McLaine another look as well.

Aside from all that, if the Warriors for some reason want another backup pg, and players like Teague and Dragic are too expensive or that they want to be starters on bad teams, then the Warriors could possibly use their TPE to poach somebody like Elfrid Payton from the Knicks by using a pick in the trade. But the Warriors should be in a good spot regardless for their point guard rotation. I'm not worried.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#110 » by SF_Warriors » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:14 am

killmongrel wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:Really hoping they can get a contributing wing or big in the draft and also starter quality (won't hold my breath)

Who I am hoping for:

Would not mind:

Yeah, I agree that it is very unlikely the Warriors use more than the vet. minimum for a backup pg if we keep DLO. It's one of the benefits of DLO working for the Warriors. I'd like to see Evans at least take a step forward and be good enough to play a few minutes a game at the 1. Hell, I think Jordan Poole has a possibility of maybe playing a little at the 1 as well. He was looking good in SL playing the point. If Burks impresses, maybe we can retain him for cheap. And we still have Ky Bowman to evaluate. I'd like for the Warriors to give that kid Kevin McLaine another look as well.

Aside from all that, if the Warriors for some reason want another backup pg, and players like Teague and Dragic are too expensive or that they want to be starters on bad teams, then the Warriors could possibly use their TPE to poach somebody like Elfrid Payton from the Knicks by using a pick in the trade. But the Warriors should be in a good spot regardless for their point guard rotation. I'm not worried.

I like the idea of payton as a backup. And I would be absolutely ecstatic if one of the current youngters already on the team can step up.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#111 » by Mylie10 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:19 pm

Payton can't shoot, we don't need him.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#112 » by watch1958 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:25 pm

Weird to think that if Omri Casspi had played his normal game while he was with the Warriors, he'd likely be the starting SF this year.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:41 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Payton can't shoot, we don't need him.

Neither could Livingston, but he was still useful. Payton's still got time to expand his game.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#114 » by killmongrel » Tue Sep 3, 2019 8:13 pm

He isn't anything great. But if the Warriors can poach him from the Knicks by using 8 million of that 17m TPE, then I don't think it's a bad signing at all, especially since it would just be as a back up to Steph and DLO. But, yeah, I'd rather they use the TPE for other positions of need like SF.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#115 » by Samurai » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:16 pm

Not sure we need another backup PG until we see what Evans can or cannot produce in that role this season. Curry and DLo will each be playing over 30 minutes/game. If it is a blowout, then Evans can play while both DLo and Steph rest. If it is a load management game, then bring Bowman in as another PG for those games. If Evans and Bowman are serviceable, then I'd rather focus on a 3-and-D SF to backup Klay. Or a 7-footer if WCS leaves after this season.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#116 » by killmongrel » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:50 pm

Samurai wrote:

Not sure we need another backup PG until we see what Evans can or cannot produce in that role this season. Curry and DLo will each be playing over 30 minutes/game. If it is a blowout, then Evans can play while both DLo and Steph rest. If it is a load management game, then bring Bowman in as another PG for those games. If Evans and Bowman are serviceable, then I'd rather focus on a 3-and-D SF to backup Klay. Or a 7-footer if WCS leaves after this season.
Smailagic Johnson will be about 7 feet tall by then. Get ready.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#117 » by Coxy » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:54 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:I thought this was a pretty good take on Draymond, by Dwight Howard of all people.

That sounds as delusional as the player who lost a playoff round and declared he already considered himself a champion. Oh yeah, same guy.

Howard is a meat head and the polar opposite of Dray.

I’d love for Dwight to elaborate further on the ‘I used to really hate how Draymond (Green) plays’. Like how Dwight? You mean, team player and winning?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:24 pm

killmongrel wrote:

He isn't anything great. But if the Warriors can poach him from the Knicks by using 8 million of that 17m TPE, then I don't think it's a bad signing at all, especially since it would just be as a back up to Steph and DLO. But, yeah, I'd rather they use the TPE for other positions of need like SF.

Agreed.

I would love to get Gallo as a ring chaser because after him the fall off on UFAs is BIG. On the trade front Rudy Gay may be the best the Warriors can do, Kelly Oubre would fit and be on an expiring contract. Joe Ingles, TJ Warren, Josh Richardson, Kyle Anderson would be tougher to get away from their teams but would also fit the TPE move.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#119 » by killmongrel » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:19 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Agreed.

I would love to get Gallo as a ring chaser because after him the fall off on UFAs is BIG. On the trade front Rudy Gay may be the best the Warriors can do, Kelly Oubre would fit and be on an expiring contract. Joe Ingles, TJ Warren, Josh Richardson, Kyle Anderson would be tougher to get away from their teams but would also fit the TPE move.

Gallo would be sweet as a backup to Klay and coming off the bench. But he's on the last year of his contract and I don't see any way the Warriors can use that TPE on him. I also think another team is going to be willing to over pay for him, which would scare me as a fan of said team since Gallo has a difficult time staying healthy. As a starter, you're asking for trouble. As a bench player, he's great. I just don't see any team willing to do a sign and trade with the Warriors involving him. I definitely don't see us getting him for the MLE.

Rudy Gay is a possibility if the Spurs realize it's time to rebuild and focus on their younger players. Plus maybe Pop does Kerr a favor. Kelly just signed a big extension with the Suns and I think he's a big part of their future plans. TJ Warren and Josh Richardson are probably staying on their respective teams. And I don't want Kyle Anderson.

I actually think the Warriors have a good shot at Will Barton, Reggie Bullock(if he's healthy), DeMarre Carroll, and Trevor Ariza.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#120 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:06 am

killmongrel wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Agreed.

Gallo would be sweet as a backup to Klay and coming off the bench. But he's on the last year of his contract and I don't see any way the Warriors can use that TPE on him. I also think another team is going to be willing to over pay for him, which would scare me as a fan of said team since Gallo has a difficult time staying healthy. As a starter, you're asking for trouble. As a bench player, he's great. I just don't see any team willing to do a sign and trade with the Warriors involving him. I definitely don't see us getting him for the MLE.

Rudy Gay is a possibility if the Spurs realize it's time to rebuild and focus on their younger players. Plus maybe Pop does Kerr a favor. Kelly just signed a big extension with the Suns and I think he's a big part of their future plans. TJ Warren and Josh Richardson are probably staying on their respective teams. And I don't want Kyle Anderson.

I actually think the Warriors have a good shot at Will Barton, Reggie Bullock(if he's healthy), DeMarre Carroll, and Trevor Ariza.

I mentioned Gallo as a ring chaser, not a target of the TPE. One year, limited minutes, be the piece that puts the team over the top. It's a sales pitch that might have a chance.

Oubre is on a tradeable contract on a team that has other SF talent, and Warren is good enough that you are always looking to replace him :)

Kyle Anderson is limited, but he's better than he looks :)

Return to Golden State Warriors