ImageImageImageImageImage

Rodi Kurucs arrested by NYPD for domestic assault

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Re: Rodi Kurucs arrested by NYPD for domestic assault 

Post#21 » by Stone » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:04 am

I'm not turning my back on Rodi unless he is proven guilty.

No photographs, no medical evidence.

Kobe had much worse charges against him.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#22 » by kamaze » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:09 am

Some of you are so quick to turn your back on a player.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#23 » by LOUiS-D » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:30 am

Stone wrote:I'm not turning my back on Rodi unless he is proven guilty.

kamaze wrote:Some of you are so quick to turn your back on a player.

Read the majority of the posts here. The language used is about condemning the alleged actions. This has nothing to do with loyalty to a player, innocent till proven guilty, or trial by mob/media. What it is about is the duty of care we have to victims and the vulnerable to take allegations of abuse seriously regardless of whether the alleged abuser is aligned with our interests. As a culture we're still emerging from times when domestic abuse was essentially a right of the man and more recently the perception that any woman making allegations is suspect and probably looking for a pay day.

The conversation on here and the general board might have looked very different 20 years ago. This is positive change imo.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#24 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:53 am

At Kurucs’ arraignment Tuesday in Brooklyn Criminal Court, prosecutor Wilfredo Cotto said the woman reported difficulty breathing and bruising to her left hand, ribs and face to a City MD clinic.

Kurucs’ lawyer Alex Spiro noted there are no photos of the alleged assault, and that the woman didn’t report the incident for nearly two months.

“As I understand it, self-reported injuries, judge,” said Spiro.

He added the then-couple flew to Las Vegas together the day after the alleged assault. They had dated for nine months and broken up days before she filed a criminal complaint, Spiro said.

Kurucs was charged with third degree assault, criminal obstruction of breathing and other charges. Judge Gina Abadi issued an order of protection and told him to stay away from the woman. She ordered him released without bail, with no objection from prosecutors.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-nets-player-rodions-kurucs-arrested-20190903-hjenydziq5dtxd5qvhnwgv5yym-story.html

It's a bad look, but if the above is true, I don't see it going anywhere. He may settle and get probation.

Incident went unreported for 2 months (until after they broke up). Couple went to Vegas together the day after the alleged incident. I'm not sure how anything gets proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

I also don't agree with a zero tolerance policy for teams. Cut him, and somebody else will pick him up. You're punishing the team & its fans more than the player. If the league wants to suspend him, that's a different story. Even then, I think the leagues should let the judicial system dictate punishment, and suspend only when a player is guilty & in proportion to the convicted crime.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,538

Post#25 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:11 am

LOUiS-D wrote:
Stone wrote:I'm not turning my back on Rodi unless he is proven guilty.

kamaze wrote:Some of you are so quick to turn your back on a player.

Read the majority of the posts here. The language used is about condemning the alleged actions. This has nothing to do with loyalty to a player, innocent till proven guilty, or trial by mob/media. What it is about is the duty of care we have to victims and the vulnerable to take allegations of abuse seriously regardless of whether the alleged abuser is aligned with our interests. As a culture we're still emerging from times when domestic abuse was essentially a right of the man and more recently the perception that any woman making allegations is suspect and probably looking for a pay day.

The conversation on here and the general board might have looked very different 20 years ago. This is positive change imo.

No one is "turning their back" on Rodi. If he is guilty of what is being alleged he should be punished by both the judicial system and the Nets/NBA.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#26 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:13 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
At Kurucs’ arraignment Tuesday in Brooklyn Criminal Court, prosecutor Wilfredo Cotto said the woman reported difficulty breathing and bruising to her left hand, ribs and face to a City MD clinic.

Kurucs’ lawyer Alex Spiro noted there are no photos of the alleged assault, and that the woman didn’t report the incident for nearly two months.

He added the then-couple flew to Las Vegas together the day after the alleged assault. They had dated for nine months and broken up days before she filed a criminal complaint, Spiro said.

Kurucs was charged with third degree assault, criminal obstruction of breathing and other charges. Judge Gina Abadi issued an order of protection and told him to stay away from the woman. She ordered him released without bail, with no objection from prosecutors.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-nets-player-rodions-kurucs-arrested-20190903-hjenydziq5dtxd5qvhnwgv5yym-story.html

It's a bad look, but if the above is true, I don't see it going anywhere. He may settle and get probation.

Incident went unreported for 2 months (until after they broke up). Couple went to Vegas together the day after the alleged incident. I'm not sure how anything gets proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

I also don't agree with a zero tolerance policy for teams. Cut him, and somebody else will pick him up. You're punishing the team & its fans more than the player. If the league wants to suspend him, that's a different story. Even then, I think the leagues should let the judicial system dictate punishment, and suspend only when a player is guilty & in proportion to the convicted crime.

If another team wants to employ someone that assaults women, that's their business. I for one would not want the Nets holding onto a domestic abuser.

I agree with letting due process play out, but if he is found guilty i think he should be punished.

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#27 » by gigantes » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:17 am

TheNetsFan wrote:

Not saying you're wrong overall, but there are many ways to interpret the significance of a trip like that, just one day after an alleged domestic violence incident. Don't quote me on this now, but it seems borderline weird no matter how you slice it, assuming these two weren't Sin City regulars, of course. Then again, that kinda seems like another whole can of worms best left unopened.

Cut him, and somebody else will pick him up. You're punishing the team & its fans more than the player.

Unfortunately, that can very much come down to life just being life. I.e., sometimes you just have to suffer a loss, even if you did everything to the best of your ability up to that point. E la vita.

Also, assuming this kid really did most of what is actually alleged, I trust a lot of us would lose significant respect for Sean Marks, were he to indulge in the mental / verbal gymnastics necessary to hang on to Rodi.

Not the end of the world, I guess. Still, the world can be a sh-tty place, and just my personal opinion-- Sean and Kenny (& team) have been doing a kickass job of playing fair, working their arses off, and excelling despite the odds. I personally love that, and want to hang on to that mindset wherever possible.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#28 » by kamaze » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:28 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

If another team wants to employ someone that assaults women, that's their business. I for one would not want the Nets holding onto a domestic abuser.

I agree with letting due process play out, but if he is found guilty i think he should be punished.

That's what the court system is for he was charged then released without bail.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#29 » by Papi_swav » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:38 am

Na I wouldn't cut him. He's young and he made a mistake. People have done much worse, no offense but ppl will forget about this next year, not advocating it but it's reality.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,195

Post#30 » by Kampuchea » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:40 am

Not guilty. No evidence
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#31 » by MGrand15 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:57 am

gigantes wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

Not saying you're wrong overall, but there are many ways to interpret the significance of a trip like that, just one day after an alleged domestic violence incident. Don't quote me on this now, but it seems borderline weird no matter how you slice it, assuming these two weren't Sin City regulars, of course. Then again, that kinda seems like another whole can of worms best left unopened.

Just for some context, this is around the time Summer League was going to start in Vegas.

With that said, I don't think the trip means much in reality - although it'll probably help his case. The optics might be that they stayed together for 2 more months before this came out so it couldn't have been that serious.

In real life, if someone almost kills you and threatens to kill themselves, it's easy to see why she might be afraid to not go on the trip. Or to break up. Or to immediately file charges. The allegations don't paint him as a stable person.

Overall, even if these charges get thrown out, this is really disappointing. When there's smoke, there's fire IMO. The legal system rarely gets it right in these cases. Doesn't mean he's innocent.
Porzingod
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#32 » by Porzingod » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:21 am

As one poster wrote on GB:
- no photos or medical facts of the alleged assault
- no report for 2 months
- couple flies to Vegas "hand in hand" the day after alleged assault
- the victim files the assault charges only after break-up
- Kurucs has no history of prior offenses of any kind
- No decision reached in court yet

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? 90% of the posters are saying "Cut him!","He needs counseling sessions!", "Ban him from the league!" etc although no one knows any concrete facts and what will be the outcome of this.
So nowadays especially if you are famous you can get accused with anything, get your life ruined by pitchfork society even if you are found not guilty and the accuser who has completely made up the facts walks away as if nothing happened. Great time to be alive.

If he is found guilty the law/NBA will deal with it accordingly.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 657

Post#33 » by NetsJets » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:15 pm

Fine and suspension should suffice
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 657

Post#34 » by NetsJets » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:16 pm

For what it’s worth.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#35 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:37 pm

gigantes wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:Wow, super disappointing turn of events. Rodi didn't seem like the type do this. Sad if even a tiny bit of this is true.

I don't know, he seemed like a pretty feisty player on the court and even in interviews, sometimes. I don't doubt that's a big part of what helped him get to the NBA, but...

But this is all so discouraging to see happen to our favorite team and also the (very young) individuals involved. Everyone is likely to pay hard for this awful night in question.

You also have to be extremely curious if there were any warning signs whatsoever when the scouting dept checked Rodi out. I love the fact that he was such a clever draft pick, borne of Marks' almost magical ability to create picks out of thin air and then spend them wisely. And now I'm hearing the sound of a toilet loudly flushing. :/

I was basing my thoughts on how he speaks and carries himself off the court. I've watched a good amount of Rodi interviews etc.(since I really like his play on court) and he seems like a humble kid.

Anyway, you can never really know a person unless you have multiple interactions/conversations etc... so that's a moot point either way.

I really don't think there were. He has had no previous arrests or anything like that and I'm sure the Nets have done their due diligence.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#36 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:39 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
gigantes wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:It's a bad look, but if the above is true, I don't see it going anywhere. He may settle and get probation.

Just for some context, this is around the time Summer League was going to start in Vegas.

With that said, I don't think the trip means much in reality - although it'll probably help his case. The optics might be that they stayed together for 2 more months before this came out so it couldn't have been that serious.

In real life, if someone almost kills you and threatens to kill themselves, it's easy to see why she might be afraid to not go on the trip. Or to break up. Or to immediately file charges. The allegations don't paint him as a stable person.

Overall, even if these charges get thrown out, this is really disappointing. When there's smoke, there's fire IMO. The legal system rarely gets it right in these cases. Doesn't mean he's innocent.

Domestic violence situations can be tricky. There are numerous situations where the victim will stay with abuser after she has been abused...victims can be manipulated and gas lit into thinking that they "deserved" the beating or brought it upon themselves. the abuse isn't usually just physical, it's also mental and emotional.

Threatening to kill yourself is also a common tactic abusers use to manipulate their victims, which is what really gave me pause and made me think that this might not be a false accusation.

That being said, I agree with you. I think there's something to it but the legal process should be played out fully.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#37 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:42 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:
gigantes wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:Wow, super disappointing turn of events. Rodi didn't seem like the type do this. Sad if even a tiny bit of this is true.

I don't know, he seemed like a pretty feisty player on the court and even in interviews, sometimes. I don't doubt that's a big part of what helped him get to the NBA, but...

But this is all so discouraging to see happen to our favorite team and also the (very young) individuals involved. Everyone is likely to pay hard for this awful night in question.

You also have to be extremely curious if there were any warning signs whatsoever when the scouting dept checked Rodi out. I love the fact that he was such a clever draft pick, borne of Marks' almost magical ability to create picks out of thin air and then spend them wisely. And now I'm hearing the sound of a toilet loudly flushing. :/

I was basing my thoughts on how he speaks and carries himself off the court. I've watched a good amount of Rodi interviews etc.(since I really like his play on court) and he seems like a humble kid.

Anyway, you can never really know a person unless you have multiple interactions/conversations etc... so that's a moot point either way.

I really don't think there were. He has had no previous arrests or anything like that and I'm sure the Nets have done their due diligence.

I was in complete shock because again like you said, he seemed like a pretty chill/humble kid in interviews, so to read these allegations was jarring. I was in disbelief for a moment.

3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#38 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:42 pm

So with more details coming out, it definitely looks like nothing will come of it, at least from a law prospective.

Will be interesting to see how the Nets handle it. They have a much better feel for the type of person he is and will most likely know how guilty he actually is.

I do believe in innocent until proven guilty but there is definitely a range of grey area where I get uncomfortable. I'll wait for more details to come out.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#39 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:44 pm

Porzingod wrote:As one poster wrote on GB:
- no photos or medical facts of the alleged assault
- no report for 2 months
- couple flies to Vegas "hand in hand" the day after alleged assault
- the victim files the assault charges only after break-up
- Kurucs has no history of prior offenses of any kind
- No decision reached in court yet

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? 90% of the posters are saying "Cut him!","He needs counseling sessions!", "Ban him from the league!" etc although no one knows any concrete facts and what will be the outcome of this.
So nowadays especially if you are famous you can get accused with anything, get your life ruined by pitchfork society even if you are found not guilty and the accuser who has completely made up the facts walks away as if nothing happened. Great time to be alive.

If he is found guilty the law/NBA will deal with it accordingly.

Most people who have said "cut him" or "give him counseling" also preface it by saying "If these allegations are true", meaning that obviously there is reasonable doubt in this scenario because we don't have much to corroberate the claims of the alleged victim. Don't leave that part out while you're trying to put yourself as above the people who are appalled at allegations of a woman being abused. This is very serious stuff.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#40 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:47 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:So with more details coming out, it definitely looks like nothing will come of it, at least from a law prospective.

Will be interesting to see how the Nets handle it. They have a much better feel for the type of person he is and will most likely know how guilty he actually is.

I do believe in innocent until proven guilty but there is definitely a range of grey area where I get uncomfortable. I'll wait for more details to come out.

Yeah, it's looking like this will end up getting tossed out, there's nothing to corroborate her claims.

It doesn't mean that Rodi didn't do anything mind you, but it doesn't mean that he did either. It's unfortunate though to see him caught up in this and for his sake I really, really hope that he didn't do it.

Return to Brooklyn Nets