Isaac Bonga Needs His Own Thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Isaac Bonga Needs His Own Thread. 

Post#21 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:52 pm

payitforward wrote:I agree! Especially, because I think my post will take us to P.2 of this quickly-developing thread!

Dang! Not quite!

Can we call that your Big Bonga Theory?

Hey, it worked to get to start the second page.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,866

Post#22 » by payitforward » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:14 pm

Poor Isaac Bonga -- we get one post onto page two, & then... phhhht.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,962

Post#23 » by dckingsfan » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:04 am

payitforward wrote:Poor Isaac Bonga -- we get one post onto page two, & then... phhhht.

Here you go... basically says, you can't teach length. Bonga is "it"...

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,667

Post#24 » by penbeast0 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:27 am

Let's see him (and any of our other new young acquisitions) play for us; then maybe we will have something to talk about.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#25 » by I_Like_Dirt » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:18 am

I think Bonga actually looks alright. He's got a lot to learn but so much length and quickness and is weirdly effective.
Bucket! Bucket!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Ruzious » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:31 am

Whoever signs him 3 years from now could have a nice prospect.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,463

Post#27 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:23 pm

With marijuana now legal in the states of several NBA teams, it’s nice to travel with your own Bonga.
In Rizzo we trust
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#28 » by daSwami » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:35 pm

Apparently he's starting tonight. Not sure how I feel about that.
:banghead:
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,463

Post#29 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:40 pm

daSwami wrote:Apparently he's starting tonight. Not sure how I feel about that.

I'm fine with him starting tonight given that our opening game is tomorrow night, right? As long as he doesn't start that one.
In Rizzo we trust
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#30 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:43 pm

His length is a big positive. He's got interesting handles, passing and rebounding. He's nowhere close to a finished product but assuming he's earned it, and I see no reason to believe he hasn't other than odd statistical assessments of small samples of preseason games that don't really mean much of anything, then good on him. Bonga, Rui and Brown are a trio of really versatile wings. Their weakness is that none of them are great 3-point shooters but they basically do everything else. The season will be way more fun if Bonga is earning some PT.
Bucket! Bucket!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:04 pm

I want to see good basketball. I don't think he is capable of any extended good basketball at this point in his career, so I don't want to see him play. Ideally, he should be learning in the G League this season.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,967

Post#32 » by DCZards » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:10 pm

I said several weeks ago that Bonga is the newcomer I'm most intrigued by. But I'm surprised that he's starting...if that is indeed the case. He can't shoot (in fact he's reluctant to shoot) and is as raw as hell. But, then again, he's only 19 years old (20 on Nov. 8).

As ILikeDirt points out, Bonga's combo of length, passing and handling are real positives. He also has good court vision with the ball in his hands and has the making of an above average defender. It may have been Bonga's D that led to Brooks starting him in game one. He also started the last preseason game.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#33 » by 80sballboy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:32 pm

But I thought Troy Brown would be ready for the season opener? Bonga is so young and so raw. Hopefully he won't get in too much foul trouble against Doncic.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#34 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Ruzious wrote:I want to see good basketball. I don't think he is capable of any extended good basketball at this point in his career, so I don't want to see him play. Ideally, he should be learning in the G League this season.

I'm reasonably confident that the team (coaches and management alike) are keeping him around and playing him because he's actually showing better on defense than his competition for PT. I know the talk is about how the team is focused on offense first but that isn't necessarily true. I think the team is focused on guys who play team-ball on both ends of the floor first. The team doesn't want individuals who play one-on-one defense; they want guys who will be in the position the coaching staff asks them to be in on defense. And likewise on offense, they don't seem to be worried so much about any specific individual skill as they are on guys who will move the ball and play within the team structure.

The guys who keep getting passed around the league and it isn't quite clear why based on their individual skillsets usually tend to be guys who just can't quite buy in. I heard Nick Nurse recently absolutely ripping into Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson for their defensive effort and attention levels. Those guys were considered by fans to be primarily defenders because their offense was so limited but they're absolutely not making the grade right now as they struggle to stay in the league at all. And it doesn't mean they're bad defenders, just that the guys making the grade in the current NBA are working even harder.

If Bonga is a player who busts his ass and does what the coaches tell him to do, which seems likely to be the case given how coaches have responded to him thus far, then he's probably going to play more than maybe he otherwise would, particularly on this current Wizards team.
Bucket! Bucket!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#35 » by LyricalRico » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:44 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:

I'm fine with him starting tonight given that our opening game is tomorrow night, right? As long as he doesn't start that one.

:lol:

I was also surprised to see him in the expected starting lineup, but I'll admit to not following much (any) of training camp. Excited to see him in action! Go Wiz!

:clap:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:52 pm

Well, there has been zero competition at the 3 other than Admiral since Brown and Miles have been out. But they should both be back soon. I'd actually experiment with a 3 guard lineup assuming Ish and IT are both healthy - which is reportedly the case. I want to see McRae get 25 minutes a game and Brown get 30. Admiral can get the scraps. I don't see it being good for Bonga's development to play when he's not ready, and I don't think he's ready. Let him learn and gain some confidence in the G League. It'd be best for him - and more importantly - it'd be best for me. I do agree Bonga has good long-term potential.

Spoiler:
Btw, Ted and Zach's excellent gambling adventures will likely have the over/under for Bonga's points at 2.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,866

Post#37 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:13 am

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I want to see good basketball. I don't think he is capable of any extended good basketball at this point in his career, so I don't want to see him play. Ideally, he should be learning in the G League this season.

I'm reasonably confident that the team (coaches and management alike) are keeping him around and playing him because he's actually showing better on defense than his competition for PT. I know the talk is about how the team is focused on offense first but that isn't necessarily true. I think the team is focused on guys who play team-ball on both ends of the floor first. The team doesn't want individuals who play one-on-one defense; they want guys who will be in the position the coaching staff asks them to be in on defense. And likewise on offense, they don't seem to be worried so much about any specific individual skill as they are on guys who will move the ball and play within the team structure.

The guys who keep getting passed around the league and it isn't quite clear why based on their individual skillsets usually tend to be guys who just can't quite buy in. I heard Nick Nurse recently absolutely ripping into Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson for their defensive effort and attention levels. Those guys were considered by fans to be primarily defenders because their offense was so limited but they're absolutely not making the grade right now as they struggle to stay in the league at all. And it doesn't mean they're bad defenders, just that the guys making the grade in the current NBA are working even harder.

If Bonga is a player who busts his ass and does what the coaches tell him to do, which seems likely to be the case given how coaches have responded to him thus far, then he's probably going to play more than maybe he otherwise would, particularly on this current Wizards team.

This makes sense, but... will he be able to play with a busted ass?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,339

Post#38 » by doclinkin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:06 am

payitforward wrote:
This makes sense, but... will he be able to play with a busted ass?

No we traded Howard for CJ Miles already.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,286

Post#39 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:18 pm

I agree, but I understand the move here.

I think Brooks considers McRae as the primary substitute at guard, and Bertans as the primary substitute at forward. Both guys are going to play 24-28 minutes a night and anchor the second unit. While either guy could surely start at SF and be better than Bonga, Brooks can't afford to do so because depriving the second unit of their minutes would make the 2nd unit truly look like a G-League squad.

Ultimately, Bonga was going to have to play some minutes, it's just a question of whether those minutes should be with the starters or the 2nd unit. I can see how starting Bonga, and then going to the bench a bit early to bring in one of McRae/Bertans will keep the rotation more balanced.

So the only real question was whether it would be Bonga or Schofield. Brooks went with the guy who has actually played regular season NBA games and is probably less likely to be a defensive liability.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,339

Post#40 » by doclinkin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:47 pm

nate33 wrote:

I agree, but I understand the move here.

I think Brooks considers McRae as the primary substitute at guard, and Bertans as the primary substitute at forward. Both guys are going to play 24-28 minutes a night and anchor the second unit. While either guy could surely start at SF and be better than Bonga, Brooks can't afford to do so because depriving the second unit of their minutes would make the 2nd unit truly look like a G-League squad.

Ultimately, Bonga was going to have to play some minutes, it's just a question of whether those minutes should be with the starters or the 2nd unit. I can see how starting Bonga, and then going to the bench a bit early to bring in one of McRae/Bertans will keep the rotation more balanced.

So the only real question was whether it would be Bonga or Schofield. Brooks went with the guy who has actually played regular season NBA games and is probably less likely to be a defensive liability.

Also the intended starter at that position is a defensive forward who passes well. Those are the two skills that Bonga has that are closest to NBA ready. As a substitute Troy, Bonga can approximate that role and make for an easier integration when Troy returns to the floor.

Return to Washington Wizards