ImageImageImageImageImage

Kirk Lacob the new VP of Basketball Ops, Dunleavy Asst GM

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Re: Kirk Lacob the new VP of Basketball Ops, Dunleavy Asst GM 

Post#21 » by likashing » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:27 pm

Jester_ wrote:Kirk is smart but I had no idea there was a 3rd Lacob on the roster. Makes it a bit more smarmy in my eyes.

Yes to this. When the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th show up, you know how they want to operate the business.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#22 » by azwfan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:07 am

Coxy wrote:It's ALWAYS a pleasure to post the one, the only, Manleavy.

They've hired him so Bob can play good cop, until the Manleavy Bad cop needs to step in to get the deal done.

Someone on here... dun remember who... had a "duns gone wild" signature for a few years. If that sig is still around, now's the time to dig it up.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#23 » by azwfan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:10 am

likashing wrote:
Jester_ wrote:Kirk is smart but I had no idea there was a 3rd Lacob on the roster. Makes it a bit more smarmy in my eyes.

Yes to this. When the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th show up, you know how they want to operate the business.

One of Jerry West's kids is also an executive with the Dubs.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#24 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:40 pm

azwfan wrote:
likashing wrote:

WHAT!!!! THAT'S A TRAVESTY!!!

Where is Little Digger when you need him?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#25 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 2:41 am

azwfan wrote:
likashing wrote:

Doesn't just work for them, he's Director of Basketball Operations. He worked for Arn Tellem, then was a scout , then was asst GM all for \the GL Warriors before moving up to the big team to be director of player programs up to last year. Sounds like he worked his way up too ... and the fact that he's been promoted after Jerry left certainly implies he's earned it.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#26 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:28 pm

Austin Powers is also an executive with the Dubs
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#27 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:20 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Austin Powers is also an executive with the Dubs

I thought he was just a ticket rep, but I chuckle every time I see that dude at the arena. He's also quite tall.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:25 pm

But he never does any work because he's stuck in the golf cart in the tunnel.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#29 » by HiRez » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:30 am

Season cancel: the Dunleavy taint is upon the franchise.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#30 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:46 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
likashing wrote:If you know history, only a small number of big companies managed to stay competitive by handing the keys to the children.

There are plenty of businesses that expanded once the children took over too.

A few famous kids who followed their parents into the family business off the top of my head ... Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Kobe Bryant, Peyton Manning, Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr., etc.

It happens with business too. The Fords did it with great success, Porsche, Fidelity Investments, Icahn, Murdock, Newman, Berkshire Hathaway, Comcast.

Kirk busted his ass to earn the spot and he's been doing a good job from all accounts.

What are you talking about Berkshire Hathaway? Which kid expanded that business?

Worked with a son of a VC. He got the job because his father funded the company. Just a regular kid, nothing special, but had an ego obviously. But he took the place of someone who could be something special. The good thing is nepotism is common so just hope Lacob kids are smarter than Jerry Buss's kids.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:41 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:Worked with a son of a VC. He got the job because his father funded the company. Just a regular kid, nothing special, but had an ego obviously. But he took the place of someone who could be something special. The good thing is nepotism is common so just hope Lacob kids are smarter than Jerry Buss's kids.

Yeah, it certainly doesn't always work, but it's not right to assume it is always going to fail either.

Relationships are central in most businesses, we just have to hope they are responsible with their promotions.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#32 » by Mylie10 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:46 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:Worked with a son of a VC. He got the job because his father funded the company. Just a regular kid, nothing special, but had an ego obviously. But he took the place of someone who could be something special. The good thing is nepotism is common so just hope Lacob kids are smarter than Jerry Buss's kids.

Yeah, it certainly doesn't always work, but it's not right to assume it is always going to fail either.

Relationships are central in most businesses, we just have to hope they are responsible with their promotions.

Did you used to post here under a different name?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#33 » by Samurai » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:20 pm

Not quite. Austen (spelled with an "e" instead of an "i") Powers is an Account Services Executive with the Dubs. Austin (with an "i") Powers is presumably too busy shagging some really groovy babes instead....
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#34 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Sep 4, 2019 7:31 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

It more often than not does not work. Instead of their children looking for their own path, they are assigned one. They may not even have the aptitude, see Buss's kids as example.

It just means a Joe Lacob climbs his way to the top in some other organization and we may eventually be left with Jed York. The problem with sports ownership is there is no penalty for being mediocre or downright terrible.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 2:41 am

Mylie10 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Did you used to post here under a different name?

No.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 2:44 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

It more often than not does not work. Instead of their children looking for their own path, they are assigned one. They may not even have the aptitude, see Buss's kids as example.

It just means a Joe Lacob climbs his way to the top in some other organization and we may eventually be left with Jed York. The problem with sports ownership is there is no penalty for being mediocre or downright terrible.

I don't know that we have data on that. The reality is that the kids of super successful people are deeply exposed to their habits. They don't always stick for sure, but they often do.

It's like when people would talk about ex-athletes getting management and coaching jobs and it was "because they were famous" and "they didn't earn it" and "what do they know about business", and yet a lot of them succeed at a high level.

To assume it's bad is the only issue I have with this whole thread ... it has succeeded often enough that assuming it will be bad is just wrong.
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#37 » by Bayside » Sat Sep 7, 2019 1:22 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

I don't know that we have data on that. The reality is that the kids of super successful people are deeply exposed to their habits. They don't always stick for sure, but they often do.

It's like when people would talk about ex-athletes getting management and coaching jobs and it was "because they were famous" and "they didn't earn it" and "what do they know about business", and yet a lot of them succeed at a high level.

To assume it's bad is the only issue I have with this whole thread ... it has succeeded often enough that assuming it will be bad is just wrong.

I have heard it all now. Sounds like your telling yourself what you need to hear to justify possible advantages you have received. People don't assume it is bad unless they have experienced it from the other side of it. And statistic have shown it so. Good for you having inherited some advantage. That is after all, the American upward mobility trend. Not merit that they sell as bill of goods as the old American Dream.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,720

Post#38 » by floppymoose » Sat Sep 7, 2019 8:46 am

What statistics are those?
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#39 » by Bayside » Sat Sep 7, 2019 9:35 am

In business courses favoritism was taught to be a poor managerial trait. Can be cronyism or nepotism. But only illegal if infringing on protected areas like race religion etc. Produces high rollover I.e low retention and a demotivator.

In employment law it's also major area of enquiry leading to disappointment when heard not illegal unless broaches before mentioned areas

If you havent worked in an environment like that where your not the favorite crony or nepotism. It really sucks. I can attest to that first hand. My industry was riddled with it.
floppymoose wrote:What statistics are those?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#40 » by clyde21 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 5:58 pm

Quazza wrote:So is Lil Lacob getting these roles because he's actually qualified or cos of Daddy ?

Also I had no idea Thugleavy was back.

*newble kicking him in the face gif*

nepotism at its finest, meritocracy baby

Return to Golden State Warriors