Image ImageImage Image

Lauri to get more time at C

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

mschmidt64
Senior
And1: 231

Re: Lauri to get more time at C 

Post#41 » by mschmidt64 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 8:34 pm

The idea of trading Lauri is insanity unless you are getting back, like, Anthony Davis.

Who the heck are you trading him for? Are you just trading him for raw assets like late first round picks because you don't want to pay him? That's nuts. The kid is 22 this year, he's legit 7 foot, and he can shoot and score from anywhere.

If you can't bank on him, then you can't bank on anyone who isn't an instant All Star. You'll be team building forever if you turn away the Lauri Markkanens of the world.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,698

Post#42 » by madvillian » Tue Sep 3, 2019 8:36 pm

NDave79 wrote:This isn't really relevant to this thread, but found it kinda cool. It looks like Lauri has always been a Bulls fan. Just trying to do my part keeping the forum going for the next month or 2 while we wait.

https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9807281

And 2nd from left kneeling is currently a bond villain, quite the team photo.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#43 » by TheFinishSniper » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:11 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
sco wrote:Lauri plays like a big guard. Just because he's tall, doesn't mean he should play in the paint.

This nonsense is gonna bite the Bulls in the a$$.

I know they need scoring with the second unit and see Lauri next to Young for stretches, but IMO, it will do real harm to Lauri and his game. Real harm. Really.

I agree. It's a bad move.

Everyone knows it's a bad move except those in charge...
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#44 » by Jiipee84 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:36 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
sco wrote:Lauri plays like a big guard. Just because he's tall, doesn't mean he should play in the paint.

This nonsense is gonna bite the Bulls in the a$$.

I know they need scoring with the second unit and see Lauri next to Young for stretches, but IMO, it will do real harm to Lauri and his game. Real harm. Really.

If / when Boylen and GarPax really have decided turn Lauri center instead of PF then gaining extra muscle is not bad thing.
If Lauri wants to do better against other NBA bigs like Gasol's brothers, Jokic, Embiid, Gobert, Marjanovic, Griffin, Porzingis, Vucevic, Antetokounmpo etc he needs more muscle those battles. So it's not 150% bad idea to get stronger and more muscular.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#45 » by sco » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:05 pm

Jiipee84 wrote:
TheFinishSniper wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

If / when Boylen and GarPax really have decided turn Lauri center instead of PF then gaining extra muscle is not bad thing.
If Lauri wants to do better against other NBA bigs like Gasol's brothers, Jokic, Embiid, Gobert, Marjanovic, Griffin, Porzingis, Vucevic etc he needs more muscle those battles. So it's not 150% bad idea to get stronger and more muscular.

If/when the decision is made that Lauri is not our go-forward PF and the FO is not willing to max him out, they should immediately trade him before saying anything to the marketplace. IMO, Lauri's market value is 100% tied to his mystique of being the next Dirk. Once that notion is dispelled, he will be near worthless. Nobody will convince me that Lauri should be a starting C in the NBA, and his agent will dig in his heels for a max deal.
:clap:
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#46 » by Jiipee84 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 8:35 pm

sco wrote:
Jiipee84 wrote:
TheFinishSniper wrote:Everyone knows it's a bad move except those in charge...

If Lauri wants to do better against other NBA bigs like Gasol's brothers, Jokic, Embiid, Gobert, Marjanovic, Griffin, Porzingis, Vucevic etc he needs more muscle those battles. So it's not 150% bad idea to get stronger and more muscular.

If/when the decision is made that Lauri is not our go-forward PF and the FO is not willing to max him out, they should immediately trade him before saying anything to the marketplace. IMO, Lauri's market value is 100% tied to his mystique of being the next Dirk. Once that notion is dispelled, he will be near worthless. Nobody will convince me that Lauri should be a starting C in the NBA, and his agent will dig in his heels for a max deal.

If Boylen and GarPax really have decided turn Lauri C instead of PF then thing will get problematic that's true.
But if Bulls trades Lauri what that team is Mavericks already have Porzingis and i'm sure Lauri wants to be a starter in his new team.

Knicks have Portis so Lauri probably won't be interested to go New York.
LA Clippers is playoff team and they have starter positions filled ( i'm not so sure but i guess that ).

Cleveland Cavaliers is rebuild mode like Bulls and if i'm not mistaken Cedi Osman is Cavaliers starter in PF spot.
New Orleans have Zion Williamson as a starter PF and i'm ready to make bet on that Lauri doesn't want to be Zion's backup.

I'm not so familiar other NBA teams so i can't say much which team would be good for Lauri if Bulls trades him.
What comes Lauri's contract extension he's eligible on that next off season but hard to believe Lauri is going to get max extension.

Of course it's possible Lauri really asks max contract extension.
But that depends so much on that how Lauri plays this coming season.
Lauri's agent will ask big moneys for Lauri that's for sure but how much Bulls is ready to pay next summer.

Edit.
Seems obvious Bulls do not have no clue how to develop Lauri.
So what's the idea to put him lift weights and gain more muscle-mass.
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#47 » by wonderboy2 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:45 pm

Man some of you guys worry about the smallest things. I have been saying that Markannan should not be playing Center for the longest. But him playing center for stretches with someone like Thad or Porter for spurts will not hurt his game(especially Thad). Also regardless if Markannan plays Power Forward or Center he absolutely definitely needs to gain strength. People worry to much about Markannan losing speed and agility. Markannan has the type of frame to put on more muscle without loosing agility or speed. Look at what gaining muscle/strength has done for guys like Giannis and Anthony Davis. Markannan even with him being shredded is still on the small/thin side compared to a lot of NBA bigs. Look at Anthony Davis, he weighs about 16 pounds more than Markannan despite being 3 inches shorter. Giannis Antetokounmpo even weigh more than Markannan. Markannan the past couple of seasons has had trouble backing down stronger guards such as Erick Gordon’s and Marcus Smarts. But the added strength last year did help him on his drives. His rookie year he had a hard time putting the ball on the floor in traffic becuase he got nudged off his drives causing him to pick up his dribble. Last year with added strength he was able to take more contact on his drives. With his added strength he should even be better this year.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#48 » by logical_art » Wed Sep 4, 2019 10:56 pm

Glad the Bulls have 11 guys who can play center now and only 2 real PFs.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,881

Post#49 » by nomorezorro » Wed Sep 4, 2019 11:37 pm

pretty sure they have four guys who can play PF, five if you're willing to toss hutch there for spot small ball minutes.
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#50 » by NDave79 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 11:47 pm

logical_art wrote:Glad the Bulls have 11 guys who can play center now and only 2 real PFs.

I think the Bulls are looking to revolutionize basketball. While the rest of the league is going small, we go big. I look forward to seeing the following lineup.

PG - Lauri
SG - Kornet
SF - WCJ (I'm confident that at some point he will be an effective shooter)
PF - Felicio (and he has surprisingly shown he can hit 3's at certain times during his career in the G league)
C - Gafford

So we have plenty of shooting with that lineup and should be able to dominate the boards.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#51 » by logical_art » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:08 am

nomorezorro wrote:pretty sure they have four guys who can play PF, five if you're willing to toss hutch there for spot small ball minutes.

Yeah the only two SFs can play small ball PF, like every other SF in the league. Not encouraging depth at F but 5 centers. Doesn't really make sense to me.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,209

Post#52 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:13 am

NDave79 wrote:
logical_art wrote:Glad the Bulls have 11 guys who can play center now and only 2 real PFs.

I think the Bulls are looking to revolutionize basketball. While the rest of the league is going small, we go big. I look forward to seeing the following lineup.

PG - Lauri
SG - Kornet
PF - Felicio (and he has surprisingly shown he can hit 3's at certain times during his career in the G league)
C - Gafford

So we have plenty of shooting with that lineup and should be able to dominate the boards.

The Bulls have not gone big. Philly has. That 5 is crazy big.
NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#53 » by NDave79 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:24 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
NDave79 wrote:

PG - Lauri
SG - Kornet
C - Gafford

The Bulls have not gone big. Philly has. That 5 is crazy big.

I was definitely just joking around, but I do feel like with Satoransky at the 1 we are on the larger size. He could easily be listed at 6'8" with shoes as he measured out as 6'6.5" barefoot and Zach could easily be listed at 6'6" as he measured at 6'4.5 barefoot and a respected Realgm poster on the Minnesota forum estimated that he had probably grown an inch since when he was drafted (not that it makes it true).

But a starting lineup of

Satoransky 6'8"
Lavine 6'6"
OPJ 6'9
Lauri 7'0"
WCJ - Long, strong 6'10"

Is pretty big as well
Chi
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,376

Post#54 » by Chi » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:04 am

Jokic is a pretty successful C isn't he? Dwight Howard isn't is he?

Being a good defender isn't an absolutely necessary quality to have for a team to be successful in today's NBA.

Saying Lauri isn't capable or shouldn't do this at all, even in spurts just isn't a smart way of thinking. Being that closed minded is a great way for a coach to be fired. You have to be able to adapt to the current landscape and innovate when necessary. It's been proven time and time again that in today's NBA, experimentation is required to say the least.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,632

Post#55 » by Dez » Thu Sep 5, 2019 3:19 am

Why do people take the smallest details and blow them way out of proportion?

He's not becoming a full time C and the muscle he has added won't slow him down.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#56 » by ZOMG » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:44 am

Dez wrote:Why do people take the smallest details and blow them way out of proportion?

He's not becoming a full time C and the muscle he has added won't slow him down.

It already did slow him down last season. He was also clearly less explosive - instead of going for dunks every time like before, Lauri went up with all kinds of soft twisting layups like he was Kris Dunn.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,632

Post#57 » by Dez » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:04 am

ZOMG wrote:
Dez wrote:Why do people take the smallest details and blow them way out of proportion?

It already did slow him down last season. He was also clearly less explosive - instead of going for dunks every time like before, Lauri went up with all kinds of soft twisting layups like he was Kris Dunn.

So because you think he did "soft twisting layups" that equates to Lauri slowing down? That is ridiculous and baseless.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#58 » by TheFinishSniper » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:40 am

Dez wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

So because you think he did "soft twisting layups" that equates to Lauri slowing down? That is ridiculous and baseless.

He is slower. He moved like a big last year instead of forward. This year i presume he will move like a truck. It's bulls development man. Just look at my signature
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#59 » by GrowingHorns » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:46 am

ZOMG wrote:

Maybe, maybe. There's also the little thing of elbow injury... I might take easier with dunks for that season...
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,813

Post#60 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 am

GrowingHorns wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

Maybe, maybe. There's also the little thing of elbow injury... I might take easier with dunks for that season...

Do you have actual stats on this, because I thought he actually dunked more frequently his second year than his first and it helped that he was stronger, that he had more confidence to attack the rim more aggresively.
Why so serious?

Return to Chicago Bulls