LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,985

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#241 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:56 pm

duppyy wrote:I will call him Taco Tuesday from now on, better than King.

Why not Taco Bell?
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,540

Post#242 » by infinite11285 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:01 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Awarded wrote:
Slot Machine wrote:Hilarious given that you're the one caping for LeBron in any single thread that even mentions him. Out of curiosity, do you post on the Lakers forum now? I remember you used to post on the Heat forum when he was in Miami. Did you move to RealCavsFans for a bit upon his return to Cleveland?

You joined this site over 10 years ago (meaning you're clearly not a kid) so I'm more than a little embarrassed for you that you're still in the stage of being a blind fanboy and defending grown men who don't even know you. I think it's probably time for you to grow up rather than playing the "you mad" card in every thread whenever LeBron does something foolish. Just my opinion.

I mean reading this thread a lot of you are pretty upset about something that isn’t that important lol

Trademark lawsuits have hurt a LOT of small businesses in ways that are absolutely ludicrous. I doubt too many here aren't aware of at least once case where a company got bullied by lawyers over trade marks that seemed petty and absurd. So there being a general skepticism over anyone trademarking anything that isn't CLEARLY their creation is going to lead to a lot of hate. I'll for example never buy a New Belgium beer again after the way they railroaded a local brewery over an absolutely absurd claim that the two brand's logos were too similar. That was at least a reasonable use even if imo the two logo's looked unreasonably different for one to mistake the two.

So yeah, I don't think you get why people have real issues with someone trademarking something that is used everywhere.

You’re telling me posters in this very thread are upset on behalf of small businesses everywhere over a commonplace trademark filing that ultimately doesn’t impact them at all? I’ve yet to observe a single TexMex restaurant or Taco Stand owner in this thread.

The example you provided impacted you as a consumer of the Belgium beer. This filing won’t prevent anyone from enjoying Tacos on Tuesdays, or any other Taco Tuesday event. As highlighted in this thread, trademarks and copyrights are two different things.
Awarded
Freshman
And1: 166

Post#243 » by Awarded » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:45 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Awarded wrote:
Slot Machine wrote:Hilarious given that you're the one caping for LeBron in any single thread that even mentions him. Out of curiosity, do you post on the Lakers forum now? I remember you used to post on the Heat forum when he was in Miami. Did you move to RealCavsFans for a bit upon his return to Cleveland?

You joined this site over 10 years ago (meaning you're clearly not a kid) so I'm more than a little embarrassed for you that you're still in the stage of being a blind fanboy and defending grown men who don't even know you. I think it's probably time for you to grow up rather than playing the "you mad" card in every thread whenever LeBron does something foolish. Just my opinion.

I mean reading this thread a lot of you are pretty upset about something that isn’t that important lol

Trademark lawsuits have hurt a LOT of small businesses in ways that are absolutely ludicrous. I doubt too many here aren't aware of at least once case where a company got bullied by lawyers over trade marks that seemed petty and absurd. So there being a general skepticism over anyone trademarking anything that isn't CLEARLY their creation is going to lead to a lot of hate. I'll for example never buy a New Belgium beer again after the way they railroaded a local brewery over an absolutely absurd claim that the two brand's logos were too similar. That was at least a reasonable use even if imo the two logo's looked unreasonably different for one to mistake the two.

So yeah, I don't think you get why people have real issues with someone trademarking something that is used everywhere.

Your personal experience with a brewery doesn’t have much to do with LeBron or his trademark

This seems to do a lot with how most of you personally feel about LeBron then his trademark affecting you guys personally
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,001

Post#244 » by Trey24 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:19 pm

In response to this, I believe I will trademark "Throwback Thursday"
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,458

Post#245 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 7:42 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Awarded wrote:I mean reading this thread a lot of you are pretty upset about something that isn’t that important lol

You’re telling me posters in this very thread are upset on behalf of small businesses everywhere over a commonplace trademark filing that ultimately doesn’t impact them at all? I’ve yet to observe a single TexMex restaurant or Taco Stand owner in this thread.

The example you provided impacted you as a consumer of the Belgium beer. This filing won’t prevent anyone from enjoying Tacos on Tuesdays, or any other Taco Tuesday event. As highlighted in this thread, trademarks and copyrights are two different things.

We had someone who sells shirts who very much pointed out it could very well hurt his business. I don't want this to stop taco bell, walmart, Amazon, the country of China, or anyone else from using a saying as common as "good morning". If any person/company at any moment in any time ever has to think about using that saying under any and all context, this is a problem. Given I have and many others have seen first hand how stupid these things can be, yes it upsets me.

Just like I am upset if someone is robbed but it isn't me.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#246 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 7:44 pm

Awarded wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Awarded wrote:I mean reading this thread a lot of you are pretty upset about something that isn’t that important lol

Your personal experience with a brewery doesn’t have much to do with LeBron or his trademark

This seems to do a lot with how most of you personally feel about LeBron then his trademark affecting you guys personally

This has do with our feelings of trademark abuse which is what this is. I really don't in the slightest care about Lebron and mostly think rather favorably of his business work to date.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 902

Post#247 » by MugzZo » Wed Sep 4, 2019 10:41 pm

Just lebron being his usual tool self.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,896

Post#248 » by lakerz12 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 11:48 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Awarded wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

This has do with our feelings of trademark abuse which is what this is. I really don't in the slightest care about Lebron and mostly think rather favorably of his business work to date.

"Trademark abuse"? What does that mean?

You consider someone filing for a trademark to be "trademark abuse"?

Until LeBron/his company actually sue someone regarding "Taco Tuesday" (which they never will) or use the mark to damage someone's business in actual commerce, you have nothing to complain about. You're complaining about something that hasn't happened.

If anything, complain to the USPTO if you don't think LeBron's company should not have been granted this Trademark. That's understandable.

But to go any further than that and assume they are going to hurt small businesses with this is just total nonsense. They have done nothing to affect another business at this point. Zero.

You can go file for hundreds of trademarks right now. Go ahead. It's your right to do that (assuming you can show some intent to use the mark in commerce). It will do nothing to affect anyone else until some actual litigation takes place or if your mark actually interferes with someone else's product or service in the actual visible marketplace. All that will change is that you'll be out a bunch of money. And if someone comes along and tries to Trademark the same thing after you, they may not be able to. But that's it.

You're acting like filing for a Trademark has cataclysmic results. It doesn't at all.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,089

Post#249 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 11:59 pm

It's already been trademarked, but at this point, I think the Trademark Office should say it's too ubiquitous for anyone to own.

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2019-09-03/lebron-james-taco-tuesday-trademark-taco-johns
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#250 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:11 am

lakerz12 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Awarded wrote:Your personal experience with a brewery doesn’t have much to do with LeBron or his trademark

Until LeBron/his company actually sue someone regarding "Taco Tuesday" (which they never will) or use the mark to damage someone's business in actual commerce, you have nothing to complain about. You're complaining about something that hasn't happened.

If anything, complain to the USPTO if you don't think LeBron's company should not have been granted this Trademark. That's understandable.

But to go any further than that and assume they are going to hurt small businesses with this is just total nonsense. They have done nothing to affect another business at this point. Zero.

You can go file for hundreds of trademarks right now. Go ahead. It's your right to do that (assuming you can show some intent to use the mark in commerce). It will do nothing to affect anyone else until some actual litigation takes place or if your mark actually interferes with someone else's product or service in the actual visible marketplace. All that will change is that you'll be out a bunch of money. And if someone comes along and tries to Trademark the same thing after you, they may not be able to. But that's it.

You're acting like filing for a Trademark has cataclysmic results. It doesn't at all.

Ah yes, because people get trademarks just to say they have them. They're like collecting basketball cards.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#251 » by michaelm » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:33 am

lakerz12 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Awarded wrote:Your personal experience with a brewery doesn’t have much to do with LeBron or his trademark

Yes trademark “abuse” has no consequences if you dismiss all examples of same, a number of which have been given on this very thread, as irrelevant one-offs.

You could possibly change my mind by showing me that the “Paul Newman’s Own” organisation trademarked or attempted to trademark “salad dressing” or “pasta sauce”.
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#252 » by lakerz12 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:34 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Ah yes, because people get trademarks just to say they have them. They're like collecting basketball cards.

So are you saying that you expect LeBron and his company to sue people, or what?

I'm not sure you understand the basics of what a Trademark is. Have you ever filed for a trademark? Have you read about trademarks? Or are you just talking based on nothing?

I've owned several trademarks and I've read fairly extensively about them. 99% file for a trademark as protection. Protection against someone else coming along and using the same name in the same business category.

So again, what exactly are you thinking is Lebron's intention here? Clearly you can't actually point to anything he's done wrong so far.
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#253 » by lakerz12 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:35 am

michaelm wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Yes trademark abuse has no consequences if you dismiss all examples of same, a number of which have been given on this very thread, as irrelevant one-offs.

Dude read my post again please. Clearly you didn't grasp it.

I'm referring to LeBron and his company. What have they done to commit "trademark abuse"? And again, please define "trademark abuse".

Filing for a trademark is "trademark abuse"?
michaelm
RealGM

Post#254 » by michaelm » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:03 am

lakerz12 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:

So are you saying that you expect LeBron and his company to sue people, or what?

I'm not sure you understand the basics of what a Trademark is. Have you ever filed for a trademark? Have you read about trademarks? Or are you just talking based on nothing?

I've owned several trademarks and I've read fairly extensively about them. 99% file for a trademark as protection. Protection against someone else coming along and using the same name in the same business category.

So again, what exactly are you thinking is Lebron's intention here? Clearly you can't actually point to anything he's done wrong so far.

Exactly what those whom you dispute are arguing.

Trademarks exist to protect the intellectual property of inventors.

LeBron did not invent “Taco Tuesdays”, nor would it seem has he really significantly popularised the term, so attempting to trademark it is at best frivolous and silly, and could be taken further as some have done without drawing a particularly long bow imo as evidence of a sense of entitlement

If he wants to trademark the term in association with his name no problem I believe most agree.
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#255 » by lakerz12 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:24 am

michaelm wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

LeBron did not invent “Taco Tuesdays”, nor would it seem has he really significantly popularised the term, so attempting to trademark it is at best frivolous and silly, and could be taken further as some have done without drawing a particularly long bow imo as evidence of a sense of entitlement

If he wants to trademark the term in association with his name no problem I believe most agree.

It sounds like you're confusing Trademarks with Patents.

Trademarks do not "exist to protect the intellectual property of inventors". Unless you're referring only to the names used to identify a product or service made by an inventor.

"A trademark is a brand name. A trademark or service mark includes any word, name, symbol, device, or any combination, used or intended to be used to identify and distinguish the goods/services of one seller or provider from those of others, and to indicate the source of the goods/services." https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-getting-started/trademark-basics

If you think the Trademark is frivolous or silly I can understand that. But so are literally thousands of other Trademarks.

If LeBron is actually serious about starting a podcast called "Taco Tuesday" or something, and doesn't want someone else to be able to come along and start a podcast called "Taco Tuesday" - - is that frivolous? I don't know. It sounds like his business and between him, the USPTO, and that other podcast.

To say that you have to be the original inventor of a phrase to trademark it is excessive. That's simply not a requirement to trademark something and how could you prove you were the first to invent the phrase? It more-so has to do with who is the first to use the mark in commerce in a particular category.

Still, no one has actually presented anything tangible against LeBron except that the trademark may be silly or frivolous. I agree with that. But that is hardly a big deal or something to whine about or imply he is a bad person for doing. People file silly trademarks every day.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#256 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:29 am

It's Wednesday.

I'm eating Tacos.

Where's your trademark God now, Lebron? Huh?

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
jcuuofd
Analyst
And1: 511

Post#257 » by jcuuofd » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:29 am

This sounds like something Ron Artest would do.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#258 » by michaelm » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:37 am

lakerz12 wrote:
michaelm wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:

Trademarks do not "exist to protect the intellectual property of inventors". Unless you're referring only to the names used to identify a product or service made by an inventor.

"A trademark is a brand name. A trademark or service mark includes any word, name, symbol, device, or any combination, used or intended to be used to identify and distinguish the goods/services of one seller or provider from those of others, and to indicate the source of the goods/services." https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-getting-started/trademark-basics

If you think the Trademark is frivolous or silly I can understand that. But so are literally thousands of other Trademarks.

If LeBron is actually serious about starting a podcast called "Taco Tuesday" or something, and doesn't want someone else to be able to come along and start a podcast called "Taco Tuesday" - - is that frivolous? I don't know. It sounds like his business and between him, the USPTO, and that other podcast.

To say that you have to be the original inventor of a phrase to trademark it is excessive. That's simply not a requirement to trademark something and how could you prove you were the first to invent the phrase? It more-so has to do with who is the first to use the mark in commerce in a particular category.

Still, no one has actually presented anything tangible against LeBron except that the trademark may be silly or frivolous. I agree with that. But that is hardly a big deal or something to whine about or imply he is a bad person for doing. People file silly trademarks every day.

As I keep saying, call it LeBron’s Taco Tuesday podcast or LeBron’s Taco Tuesdays and there is no problem.

You have been given concrete examples of frivolous trademarking affecting small businesses, including my own of “Ugg Boots”, a generic term for sheepskin boots in Australia for at least 4 decades claimed by a purchaser of one Australian manufacturer who did sue others. As a legitimate imo use imo try calling the sparkling wine you produce outside of the Champagne district of France Champagne, perhaps oddly except in the USA, and see how you go.
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#259 » by lakerz12 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:48 am

michaelm wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
michaelm wrote:Exactly what those whom you dispute are arguing.

As I keep saying, call it LeBron’s Taco Tuesday podcast or LeBron’s Taco Tuesdays and there is no problem.

You have been given concrete examples of frivolous trademarking affecting small businesses, including my own of “Ugg Boots”, a generic term for sheepskin boots in Australia for at least 4 decades claimed by a purchaser of one Australian manufacturer who did sue others. As a legitimate imo use imo try calling the sparkling wine you produce outside of the Champagne district of France Champagne, perhaps oddly except in the USA, and see how you go.

There's a key point I don't think you're aware of:

There are different business categories which the USPTO calls "classes" and multiple businesses can use the same name or trademark without any problem, so long as they don't overlap so that there becomes confusion or infringement. They can even both keep using it if there is infringement, until one decides to try to sue the other.

I.e. A taco shop can use "Taco Tuesday" and LeBron can use "Taco Tuesday" for a podcast without any problem. Happens every day.

Your examples have nothing to do with LeBron. Zero. The fact that you think they do is frustrating to my brain because they are totally unrelated.

As you said yourself they SUED. LeBron hasn't done anything except FILE A TRADEMARK.

smh . . I can't try to reason with you anymore. If you can't understand that FILING for a trademark in a specific, unique class is not the same thing as SUING an existing business.

Please look at this: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4806:knthnz.2.1

See how it's just a trademark. It's not a lawsuit. It may very well be invalidated. It really doesn't mean a whole lot on its own. And yet here you are comparing it to some company that went around suing people. This little innocent trademark hasn't done anything to anyone.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,540

Post#260 » by infinite11285 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 2:19 am

“Trademark abuse” :lol:

Return to The General Board