ImageImageImage

Who is indifferent to Kyrie leaving?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Re: Who is indifferent to Kyrie leaving? 

Post#81 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Sep 3, 2019 5:17 am

I knew he wasn't going to stay and have lamented the loss of a full career of whoever was still on the board with the #8 pick i.e MPJ, Simons, Knox, SGA, etc. It's not necessarily indifference as it is acceptance that it was a terrible move to trade for a guy like him, who forced his way out of CLE, for a two year rental, at a time GSW was dominating the league. Made no sense then and even less now.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#82 » by JHTruth » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:21 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:I knew he wasn't going to stay and have lamented the loss of a full career of whoever was still on the board with the #8 pick i.e MPJ, Simons, Knox, SGA, etc. It's not necessarily indifference as it is acceptance that it was a terrible move to trade for a guy like him, who forced his way out of CLE, for a two year rental, at a time GSW was dominating the league. Made no sense then and even less now.

Man how good would SGA look with this young core about now..
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,756

Post#83 » by GrandTheftRondo » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:01 pm

I was more mad about what it signalled rather than that douche bag piece of **** leaving individually.

Meant an end to Horford and the Davis dream.

**** the dude. Hope he never wins another thing in the NBA.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#84 » by ddb » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:23 pm

exculpatory wrote:
celtxman wrote:
ddb wrote:Why are we still talking about Kyrie. Now that he's gone it feels like he was never even here. He had maybe 2 games ever where he hit big shots on the home court and made it feel real. Otherwise it just felt like Boston was always the bridge between Cleveland and Brooklyn. And that's fine because while Kyrie was here we learned a few things about him. Without getting into all the details let's just get excited about this team with Kemba, Marcus, Tatum, Hayward, Kanter, everyone else and whoever we get for Brown.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
The reason I still speak about Irving is that he left scorched earth in Boston. That is, all things considered, I don't think there ever was another Boston athlete, or maybe any city that left so much potential damage behind.
This is way more than his horrendous leadership and abysmal play in the playoffs. His lying to the season ticket holders about returning to Boston and fans in general, held Ainge just enough to not trade him, when things were falling apart. Meanwhile weeks after his declaration to the season ticket holders he was already laying groundwork to leave Boston as Spencer Dinwiddie told us. Ainge's flawed plan of keeping Irving to entice Anthony Davis to want to come, cost the Celtics assets from trading Irving at the deadline. Any assets received could have been part of a package to get AD at the same trade deadline(Rose Rule wiped out with Irving out of town.)
But whether or not AD was going to happen or not, it's hard to be indifferent to someone, who now seemed to make it a mission to poison the idea that Boston was a destination place to play. In a vacuum getting Kemba was a decent move. But big picture, it was critical for Boston to stop the bleeding from the knife in the back from Irving, and get an All Star player back in here.
I am 100% against the way Ray Allen handled himself in leaving town. But this is far worse. Irving knew the ramifications of everything he did, from freezing Boston management with his lies about staying, to being a big part in AD not coming, to giving his best effort to inflict as much damage as he thought he could by going to a team in the division, hometown or not.
Irving, looked behind him at the mess he left behind, then dumped a big jug of gasoline on it, lit a match and walked away. I don't see how to be indifferent about that, no matter if the Celtics win a championship as a result of him leaving.

Nominated for a Top 10 post of the year because of its spot on veracity & eloquence.

I still say **** You Kyrie.
Go get catfished like traitor Ray on a flat planet other than earth.

shoulda coulda woulda. Celtics have a terrific young team.
Soulcatcher33
Veteran
And1: 2,758

Post#85 » by Soulcatcher33 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:33 am

The better question probably would have been: "Who actually cares that Kyrie left?"
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#86 » by celtxman » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:41 am

ddb wrote:
exculpatory wrote:
celtxman wrote: The reason I still speak about Irving is that he left scorched earth in Boston. That is, all things considered, I don't think there ever was another Boston athlete, or maybe any city that left so much potential damage behind.
This is way more than his horrendous leadership and abysmal play in the playoffs. His lying to the season ticket holders about returning to Boston and fans in general, held Ainge just enough to not trade him, when things were falling apart. Meanwhile weeks after his declaration to the season ticket holders he was already laying groundwork to leave Boston as Spencer Dinwiddie told us. Ainge's flawed plan of keeping Irving to entice Anthony Davis to want to come, cost the Celtics assets from trading Irving at the deadline. Any assets received could have been part of a package to get AD at the same trade deadline(Rose Rule wiped out with Irving out of town.)
But whether or not AD was going to happen or not, it's hard to be indifferent to someone, who now seemed to make it a mission to poison the idea that Boston was a destination place to play. In a vacuum getting Kemba was a decent move. But big picture, it was critical for Boston to stop the bleeding from the knife in the back from Irving, and get an All Star player back in here.
I am 100% against the way Ray Allen handled himself in leaving town. But this is far worse. Irving knew the ramifications of everything he did, from freezing Boston management with his lies about staying, to being a big part in AD not coming, to giving his best effort to inflict as much damage as he thought he could by going to a team in the division, hometown or not.
Irving, looked behind him at the mess he left behind, then dumped a big jug of gasoline on it, lit a match and walked away. I don't see how to be indifferent about that, no matter if the Celtics win a championship as a result of him leaving.

Nominated for a Top 10 post of the year because of its spot on veracity & eloquence.

We talk about shoulda coulda woulda 24/7....that's what makes this a forum and not just a lovefest. I can't think of anything more satisfying than the Celtics winning a championship on the heels of the historically bad stay Irving had here.
I just got my first tickets for the season and I can't wait to go. Being excited about the future, and commenting on the past are two different things. The thread was about being indifferent to Irving and I explained why I'm not.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,366

Post#87 » by robbie84 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 11:35 pm

dude's a phenomenal player, incredibly gifted individual talent.
Unfortunately, like many people under 30, he over rates his own intelligence and hasn't had much time for self reflection or self realization to consider his selfishness.
Having kids would help his cause.
He seems to think that because his father was a pro basketball player and his mother was a gifted pianist that it automatically makes him some kind of athlete/genius morpheus who's smarter than everyone he meets- especially coaches and team mates.

He's an individual in a team sport and I just don't know if he's smart enough to come to that realization that he's just not as good as he thinks he is.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#88 » by 3D Chess » Thu Sep 5, 2019 12:35 am

robbie84 wrote:Having kids would help his cause.

He has a daughter.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,226

Post#89 » by Parliament10 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 3:20 am

Soulcatcher33 wrote:The better question probably would have been: "Who actually cares that Kyrie left?"

Screw that Scum Sucking Pig!!!
And, I ain't even going to say his name. He -- was a Celtic? Him!???
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,366

Post#90 » by robbie84 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:35 am

3D Chess wrote:
robbie84 wrote:Having kids would help his cause.

He has a daughter.

Did not know this, thanks.
Perhaps he is a completely lost cause.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,147

Post#91 » by itrsteve » Thu Sep 5, 2019 11:58 am

I’m indifferent, getting Kemba is such a blessing that I think that people are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Hopefully we learned a lesson about trading for divas who are wrestling out of their contract.

The way I look at it is that having Kyrie was destiny due to the Rose rule. If he wasn’t here then it’s rather foreseeable that we would have dumped our youth.
OBisHalJordan
Rookie
And1: 892

Post#92 » by OBisHalJordan » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:51 pm

ddb wrote:
exculpatory wrote:
celtxman wrote: The reason I still speak about Irving is that he left scorched earth in Boston. That is, all things considered, I don't think there ever was another Boston athlete, or maybe any city that left so much potential damage behind.

I think there's a bigger issue here. Of course, the Celtics are still in a good place in comparison to other NBA teams BUT the Kyrie trade was a clear step back. They lost a "star" player to free agency, they lost a year of development/growth because of poor chemistry, they traded away a draft pick, and sullied their reputation with some by moving IT. Not to mention the opportunity costs of these moves. This is a clear step back. The team was an even better position before the Kyrie trade ran its course. This is a basic fact that needs to be acknowledged.

I think some people resist this basic fact because it means two things: (1) the star power above all approach to team building may needs some qualifications and (2) defending Kyrie (and perhaps even DA's decision to bring him here) were losing propositions that should humble posters that went in all on those lines.
ThirtyFour
Starter
And1: 3,477

Post#93 » by ThirtyFour » Thu Sep 5, 2019 2:48 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Soulcatcher33 wrote:The better question probably would have been: "Who actually cares that Kyrie left?"

I can hear him testifying under oath:

“I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the Boston Celtics”

And I don’t think he’d be lying!
“There’s a sense of pride, there’s an edge you have to have to play here. I can only imagine the love, the reception, if you hung one of those banners up. It would be incredible — it’s going to be incredible. I know it.” —Jayson Tatum
celtxman
Analyst

Post#94 » by celtxman » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:00 am

OBisHalJordan wrote:
ddb wrote:
exculpatory wrote:

I think there's a bigger issue here. Of course, the Celtics are still in a good place in comparison to other NBA teams BUT the Kyrie trade was a clear step back. They lost a "star" player to free agency, they lost a year of development/growth because of poor chemistry, they traded away a draft pick, and sullied their reputation with some by moving IT. Not to mention the opportunity costs of these moves. This is a clear step back. The team was an even better position before the Kyrie trade ran its course. This is a basic fact that needs to be acknowledged.

I think some people resist this basic fact because it means two things: (1) the star power above all approach to team building may needs some qualifications and (2) defending Kyrie (and perhaps even DA's decision to bring him here) were losing propositions that should humble posters that went in all on those lines.

In a nutshell, that's what I've been saying. I can't be indifferent to someone who was so damaging even if they still have enough assets to still have championship aspirations.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#95 » by Green89 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:37 am

Parliament10 wrote:

We really need the C's forum to NOT have any threads showing his name on them any more.
celtxman
Analyst

Post#96 » by celtxman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:50 pm

Green89 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

We really need the C's forum to NOT have any threads showing his name on them any more.
It would be great for this team to do well right away to help that along. The season can't start fast enough

Return to Boston Celtics