IF You Had to Choose... Beal Goes Where?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who'd You Rather?

Nets
21%
Celtics
79%

Total votes: 42

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

IF You Had to Choose... Beal Goes Where? 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:12 pm

WAS fans, I imagine I'll receive a healthy dose of vitriol from you for this thread. I am not asking you to OK either of these deals; I'm curious to know between the two, which stacks up as the better offer in your opinion. The outgoing packages would be Beal and Jones.

OFFER 1: BOSTON
Smart/Brown/Langford/Williams/20MEM1st/20MIL1st

OFFER 2: BROOKLYN
Dinwiddie/Harris/Prince/Allen/20DEN1st/20GSW1st

Please include reasoning like team fit, and whether you would do either deals. This isn't reserved for WAS fan feedback only, either; I want to hear from everyone! THANKS!
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Re: IF You Had to Choose... Beal Goes Where? 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:31 pm

The Boston offer has several nice pieces to starts rebuild. The Brooklyn offer is mostly stuff that needs to be flipped and late picks. For the first offer, imo it makes the most sense to find another team that will send an asset for Smart.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#3 » by giberish » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:40 pm

I'd take the Boston offer over the Nets offer, pretty easily.

I really like the Memphis pick as a key trade asset if I'm moving a star. IMO it's pretty much guaranteed to be top-10 either this year or next. The other 1sts have far less value. Mil and Den are the most certain to be good teams in the league, and the GS pick is top-20 protected and defaults to 2nds in a year (so at best a late 1st).

The Nets package as several good role players, but very little upside. They'll help make Washington respectable quickly, but not add that much long-term. The Boston package just has much more long-term upside with the Memphis pick and to some degree Langford. Even Brown adds some upside potential, though there's also the possibility that the best move for a team he's on next summer is just letting him walk.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,052

Post#4 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:09 pm

Boston. Biggest thing for me is that I think Allen is the best piece in the BKN package and the Wizards really like Thomas Bryant.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#5 » by Mykhyn » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:10 pm

Boston.

Beal + Tatum is suppose to happen.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#6 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:21 pm

St Louis stand up!
Cklbmk wrote:Boston.

Beal + Tatum is suppose to happen.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using RealGM mobile app
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#7 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:38 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Boston. Biggest thing for me is that I think Allen is the best piece in the BKN package and the Wizards really like Thomas Bryant.

I'm here as well.

If you parse out individual parts of the trade package, I have Dinwiddie as slightly more valuable than Smart, but I imagine some would say the opposite.

Brown is significantly more valuable than Prince, and both are entering next summer as restricted free agents.

Harris (expiring contract) is worth a late first, but not worth Romeo, especially to a rebuilding team.

The biggest value discrepancy is with Williams and Allen. As you mentioned, I don't believe that acquiring a young C appeals all that much to Washington, because they feel they have found a gem in Bryant.

As for the picks, yes, the Memphis one is a higher value asset than the others. It's top-6 protected in 2020, and I don't believe Memphis will be quite that bad so it probably won't convey until 2021 when it's unprotected. Still, an unprotected pick in two years for a likely lottery team is a nice asset.

For a team other than Washington, the offers might be a bit closer in valuation. But especially if we're talking about Washington, I give the vote to Boston.
-- Steve Martin
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#8 » by rugbyrugger23 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:46 pm

I know this is a thread about these two offers, but to me these are mostly rebuilding packages. Brown has playoff experience no doubt, but mostly rebuilding packages.

Does Washington really want to do that? Wall isn’t going anywhere. They aren’t bottoming out — only year they could/should is this season with Wall hurt — but all indications are Beal won’t be traded until next offseason.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:49 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:I know this is a thread about these two offers, but to me these are mostly rebuilding packages. Brown has playoff experience no doubt, but mostly rebuilding packages.

Does Washington really want to do that? Wall isn’t going anywhere. They aren’t bottoming out — only year they could/should is this season with Wall hurt — but all indications are Beal won’t be traded until next offseason.

Depends how nimble they think they can be, but under this scenario I would bottom out this year, since the roster outside of Beal is terrible, and then the young guys they acquire, Rui, Brown, Bryant will all be further along and can be evaluated. Then hopefully draft high. If Wall is healthy next offseason and looks like he might stay that way flip some of the assets for the right mix of win now guys. Or move Wall if his value has recovered.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#10 » by rugbyrugger23 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:04 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:I know this is a thread about these two offers, but to me these are mostly rebuilding packages. Brown has playoff experience no doubt, but mostly rebuilding packages.

Depends how nimble they think they can be, but under this scenario I would bottom out this year, since the roster outside of Beal is terrible, and then the young guys they acquire, Rui, Brown, Bryant will all be further along and can be evaluated. Then hopefully draft high. If Wall is healthy next offseason and looks like he might stay that way flip some of the assets for the right mix of win now guys. Or move Wall if his value has recovered.

Oh I agree (in terms of trading Beal now and bottoming our). Just doesn’t seem that is what Wizards want to do.

If I were GM, I would trade with Boston. But require Tatum + Hayward + Memphis 1st. And yes, if they see value in Bertans or Miles or *cough* IT, I would add win now players to make Tatum + Memphis 1st my centerpieces.

Then tank away with a Tatum lead team.

2020/21 offseason would be about drafting high (top 3) and seeing how Wall looks. Then make a decision which direction I want to go. Build around Tatum/Bryant + youth (eventually trading Wall) or Tatum + Consolidation trade (not including Wall): Hayward expiring + 2020 Top 3 + Memphis 1st Owed + Hachumira + Future 1st(s) would land about any (young) star.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#11 » by giberish » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:04 pm

Wall's contract isn't going anywhere. Wall's game never looked like a good bet to age well and now he's coming off a major injury. Expecting Wall to come back as a top-20 player is a low-odds bet. Washington is in for a multi-year rebuild.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#12 » by penbeast0 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:25 pm

Between the two, Boston. The Nets offer doesn't help either short term or long term to any significant degree. Boston offer isn't ideal but it at least includes the Memphis pick.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,583

Post#13 » by NYG » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:20 am

Who else could/would join the Beal Sweepstakes?

Denver, Miami, Toronto?
Atlanta, Detroit, New Orleans, Orlando, Oklahoma City if given the right start?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:46 pm

If Beal doesn't go to Denver, I'd choose him going to a league overseas. :lol:
Where does Beal fit best? I'd say he'd fit on every team in the league and fit just fine. Perhaps a couple teams might struggle to blend him in - say Portland with Lillard & McCollum. But I have no doubt they'd find a way to make it work.
penbeast0
And1: 8,669

Post#15 » by penbeast0 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:49 pm

NYG wrote:Who else could/would join the Beal Sweepstakes?

Denver, Miami, Toronto?

Washington? Get a front line talent who is young enough to be in his prime once their rebuild is finished. Might be a good fit if they can afford him.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,456

Post#16 » by Canadafan » Fri Sep 6, 2019 4:13 pm

Denver, Miami, Toronto?

Expirings of RJ+Galloway added to either Kennard or Sekou+2020 unprotected 1st. Hows that sound? :D
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 4:45 pm

Canadafan wrote:

Denver, Miami, Toronto?

Expirings of RJ+Galloway added to either Kennard or Sekou+2020 unprotected 1st. Hows that sound? :D

RJ ,Galloway, Kennard, Sekou, 2020 DET 1st, 2022 DET 1st is probably in the ballpark.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,456

Post#18 » by Canadafan » Fri Sep 6, 2019 4:57 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

Denver, Miami, Toronto?

RJ ,Galloway, Kennard, Sekou, 2020 DET 1st, 2022 DET 1st is probably in the ballpark.

Yes I'd say RJ($18) Sekou Kennard Thon(all around$3.5ea) plus our pick upcoming in 2020. Maybe another pick. I'd do it and so would our owner.
Blake/Beal/Drummond/Snell/Rose starters
Kief/Beasley/Iso Joe/Frazier/Brown bench
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,363

Post#19 » by Saul Goodman » Fri Sep 6, 2019 5:40 pm

Boston has the best offer IMO

Grant Williams
Romeo Langford
Gordon Hayward
Robert Williams
2019 Memphis 1st
2020 Boston 1st
2022 Boston 1st
2024 Swap

for

Beal
Mahinmi

Kanter/Mahnmi
Tatum
Brown
Beal
Walker/Smart

you can flip mahinmi's expiring to get a big.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
Diamondman07
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#20 » by Diamondman07 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 6:04 pm

OP’s offers for Beal has to be the Celtics...

Celtics actually moving decent pieces, Nets consolidating nickels to quarters
THREE Time Dunn Elementary Paper Air Plane launch champion

Return to Trades and Transactions