Image ImageImage Image

FIBA 2019 World Cup Bulls players Satoransky & Felicio performances

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,938
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Re: FIBA 2019 World Cup Bulls players Satoransky & Felicio performances 

Post#61 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Sep 5, 2019 3:44 pm

What's everyone's quick take on Sato so far?

- Ball handling
- Shooting
- Defense
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#62 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:06 pm

#FIBAWC

FINAL: MNE 73 : BRA 84
Felicio: 14p-8r-2a-1b, 7-7 FG
FINAL: TUR 76 : CZR 91
Satoransky: 11p-7r-7a, 1-8FG
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#63 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:15 pm

23-7 wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:Man..the Japanese team is really bad. They just came out and looked starstruck and just got completely overwhelmed. Their guards could hardly complete a pass.

Pass on Rui

I have a feeling you will be eating those words in a couple of years. I sure as hell wouldn't be using that game as any indicator of what he's going to be in the NBA. Hell, if you watched Coby White struggle to get by and turn the corner on scrubs, (most of who will be NOT playing professional basketball in a month) in the summer league and miss like 29 of 30, 3 pt shots, you would say pass on him too. But, just like one FIBA game against far superior competition and without a teammate who could do anything out there, it means nothing. The thing about these FIBA games is a kid like Rui, who has not played a single minute of NBA ball yet, going against guys like Sato and the entire Team USA, and many others, who have a few years of NBA experience, not to mention teammates who are at another level are naturally going to have a hard time.

Truth is, I like Coby and I think Coby will be just fine once he gets some NBA time in, but he doesn't have star potential, IMO. I'll be happy if he can be a solid starter in the NBA within a couple of years. I think Rui, as well as Coby will both take a couple of seasons before we see what they will be in the NBA. Very, very few rookies are going to show out in the NBA in their first seasons. Coby is young and raw and Rui is too despite having more collegiate experience simply because he had to deal with a unique cultural situation that he is still going through. It's going to take time.

Last year's draft, my guy who I felt a lot of teams will regret passing on earlier, was Josh Okogie and I still think he is going to be very good. I think he takes a big step this season and an even bigger one over the next couple of seasons. You just cannot judge a draft class until at least three years. Especially these days with the age of these kids and how raw so many of them are coming in.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#64 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:18 pm

PrimzyBulls81 wrote:#FIBAWC

FINAL: MNE 73 : BRA 84
Felicio: 14p-8r-2a-1b, 7-7 FG
FINAL: TUR 76 : CZR 91
Satoransky: 11p-7r-7a, 1-8FG

Fellatio!! What a game for him! Bulls stole him for just $8M per...lol

Wow, Sato and the Czechs crushing the Turkish team that USA should have lost to.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#65 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:55 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:What's everyone's quick take on Sato so far?

- Ball handling
- Shooting
- Defense

This has more to do with his NBA experience and play than a few FIBA games.

-Ball handling: decent.... nothing fancy, but doesn't cough up the ball much and doesn't make many mistakes. He's not going to be breaking any ankles out there, or dazzling the crowd much, but he's adequate in a multi-ball handler offense like the Bulls.

-Shooting: Excellent. We know he can shoot lights out from just about anywhere. He is a great 3 pt shooter although very low volume from deep. Good FT shooter although he rarely ever gets to the line. Good finisher at the rim.

-Defense: Above average defender. Not the best on ball defender, but a smart, heady team defender who is rarely out of position. I would call him a plus defender.

Overall, I think he's an excellent fit for this Bulls roster and I'm really looking forward to seeing him play with Zach and Otto. I really think he could be the x-factor, along with Otto to allow Lavine to take the next step. I sure hope he is. I'm hopeful that one of Zach's problems with impact has been that he's been saddled with Dunn for far too long. When Lavine played with Arci he was much better impact wise and when Porter showed up last season, he changed Zach into a net positive player for the first time in his career (in fact, the Bulls with Zach and Porter as a duo were +4.6 per 100 vs. -8.9 as a team- that is a huge +13.5 pts per 100 swing) and Lavine just played much better with Arci at the PG spot than Dunn. The Arci, Lavine and Porter floor trio was surprisingly good for the Bulls last season, which gives me a good feeling and hope for a Sato, Lavine, Porter trio. Sato is like a turbo Arci, with better size and can just do much more. Bulls were a full +6 pts per 100 better with Arci/Zach than they were with Dunn/Zach.
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#66 » by 23-7 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:08 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
23-7 wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:Man..the Japanese team is really bad. They just came out and looked starstruck and just got completely overwhelmed. Their guards could hardly complete a pass.

Pass on Rui

I have a feeling you will be eating those words in a couple of years. I sure as hell wouldn't be using that game as any indicator of what he's going to be in the NBA. Hell, if you watched Coby White struggle to get by and turn the corner on scrubs, (most of who will be NOT playing professional basketball in a month) in the summer league and miss like 29 of 30, 3 pt shots, you would say pass on him too. But, just like one FIBA game against far superior competition and without a teammate who could do anything out there, it means nothing. The thing about these FIBA games is a kid like Rui, who has not played a single minute of NBA ball yet, going against guys like Sato and the entire Team USA, and many others, who have a few years of NBA experience, not to mention teammates who are at another level are naturally going to have a hard time.

Truth is, I like Coby and I think Coby will be just fine once he gets some NBA time in, but he doesn't have star potential, IMO. I'll be happy if he can be a solid starter in the NBA within a couple of years. I think Rui, as well as Coby will both take a couple of seasons before we see what they will be in the NBA. Very, very few rookies are going to show out in the NBA in their first seasons. Coby is young and raw and Rui is too despite having more collegiate experience simply because he had to deal with a unique cultural situation that he is still going through. It's going to take time.

Last year's draft, my guy who I felt a lot of teams will regret passing on earlier, was Josh Okogie and I still think he is going to be very good. I think he takes a big step this season and an even bigger one over the next couple of seasons. You just cannot judge a draft class until at least three years. Especially these days with the age of these kids and how raw so many of them are coming in.

Rui has no stand out skill or athleticism and has played in a college system for years, been groomed.

Coby White is tall and fast for the position. He shot bad and new to the position he might not be a star but there is a reason people think he is a better prospect. Rui ceiling is like a Morris Twin
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#67 » by GameBredAPBT » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:28 pm

Hachimura sucks. No idea why anyone is high on him. Stiff athlete with no discernible skills, brahh.

Coby was the pick, and he is going to propel this team into something special. He’s going to be the leader of the Bulls in 4/5 years time, mark my words, that kid has a fire & intensity that is infectious.
NWIBullsFan
Junior
And1: 247

Post#68 » by NWIBullsFan » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:38 pm

"Rui is going to be a star in the NBA"

Hachimura started and played 24 minutes against the likes of Middleton, Turner, Boston Celtics star Kemba Walker and Utah Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell, and he finished with just four points on 2-of-8 shooting. He recorded four rebounds and one assist, but his plus-minus rating was a dismal minus-48, showing his team was heavily outscored during his time on the court.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/05/rui-hachimura-posterized-an-nba-player-has-way-go-competing-against-best/

That doesn't sound like any "future NBA star" I've ever seen play...
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#69 » by 23-7 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:47 pm

NWIBullsFan wrote:"Rui is going to be a star in the NBA"

Hachimura started and played 24 minutes against the likes of Middleton, Turner, Boston Celtics star Kemba Walker and Utah Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell, and he finished with just four points on 2-of-8 shooting. He recorded four rebounds and one assist, but his plus-minus rating was a dismal minus-48, showing his team was heavily outscored during his time on the court.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/05/rui-hachimura-posterized-an-nba-player-has-way-go-competing-against-best/

Everyone has their favorites from the draft and sometimes its hard to let go. But he was quick to say how good he looked after Czech game, but against real NBA athletes he looked awful. The fact he only took 8 shots tells me something about his aggressiveness especially in a blowout.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#70 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:48 pm

LOL... this is asinine. It was one game. Rui up until that game was one of the top performers in the World Cup Tournament. We'll see down the road who's right about Rui. Look who he's playing with, FFS. The Japanese team is terrible. So, an NBA rookie who hasn't even played yet in the NBA, playing with a bunch of less than scrub teammates is going to be judged by THAT game? Seriously? Only a fool would be passing judgement at this point in time. Try waiting until he actually has a half a season under his belt with actual NBA caliber teammates to play off of. Go ahead and bookmark this page and let's revisit this in a couple of years. Rui is actually quite a good athlete. He has outstanding length and instincts which are going to go a long way in this league. He's also got really strong character and a great work ethic.
NWIBullsFan
Junior
And1: 247

Post#71 » by NWIBullsFan » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:57 pm

23-7 wrote:

Everyone has their favorites from the draft and sometimes its hard to let go. But he was quick to say how good he looked after Czech game, but against real NBA athletes he looked awful. The fact he only took 8 shots tells me something about his aggressiveness especially in a blowout.

Exactly.

I was watching a different highlight reel of that game and it made me wish we drafted Rui. Sato and Rui were easily the two best players on the floor. Hachimura looks like the real deal too. He does everything for his team. He's a good playmaker for a big and he has a great feel for the game.

Apparently, it's completely different when "your guy" has a good game, then it means something. :lol:
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,140

Post#72 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:17 pm

Indomitable wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not really sure where she’s been if she believes Sato “gets lost in the Dunn vs White discussion” regarding who may start for the Bulls....

Sato seems to get mentioned much more as an opening day starter, by fans and media, than either Dunn or White.

He’s playing really well in Fiba and showing pretty much what you’d expect of him as the Bulls starting point.... That heady vet play that doesn’t make mistakes and moves himself and the ball, where it needs the be.

She is really bad at her job.

why? cuz she's a woman? what an odd post for the two of you to get so bent out of shape about; this is about as mundane a tweet as they come
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#73 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:22 pm

NWIBullsFan wrote:
23-7 wrote:

Exactly.

I was watching a different highlight reel of that game and it made me wish we drafted Rui. Sato and Rui were easily the two best players on the floor. Hachimura looks like the real deal too. He does everything for his team. He's a good playmaker for a big and he has a great feel for the game.

Apparently, it's completely different when "your guy" has a good game, then it means something. :lol:

It really doesn't mean anything. I don't put much stock in these FIBA games. The thought just came through my mind because he looked terrific and I really liked Rui prior to the draft and if you go back and look at the draft threads you'll see that. I watched a lot of game footage of the kid one afternoon. He was my favorite player in the draft outside of the top 3, who I had just the way they went. Zion, Ja, RJ.. He was my favorite player, not the player I thought would be the best prospect. Although, I would have taken him at #7 if it were up to me. I'm not that high on White... I thought Garland was a high risk pick. I just wasn't crazy about any of the PG's after Ja. I don't have a problem at all with Coby as the pick at #7. I just would have taken Hachimura. Just a personal preference for a lot of reasons.

Look, this draft was a tough one to evaluate. We can sit here and argue over prospects until the cows come home. We don't have long to wait to actually watch it all unfold now. So, let's just agree to disagree on Rui as a player. You guys don't like him, I do.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#74 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:26 pm

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:
Not really sure where she’s been if she believes Sato “gets lost in the Dunn vs White discussion” regarding who may start for the Bulls....

Sato seems to get mentioned much more as an opening day starter, by fans and media, than either Dunn or White.

He’s playing really well in Fiba and showing pretty much what you’d expect of him as the Bulls starting point.... That heady vet play that doesn’t make mistakes and moves himself and the ball, where it needs the be.

why? cuz she's a woman? what an odd post for the two of you to get so bent out of shape about; this is about as mundane a tweet as they come

Yea, that was a little harsh, but they are right about it being a stupid remark. Nobody is talking about Dunn vs. White as the camp duel for the starting PG spot. I think most Bulls fans and even non Bulls fans, know that Sato is the likely starter. Is that really her job though? I don't even know who that is. I thought she was just some girl making a comment.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#75 » by AKfanatic » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:28 pm

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:

I got no problem whatsoever with females tweeting about, reporting, broadcasting etc, sports. Hell i’m one of the biggest Doris Burke supporters on this site...

Her (the tweeter) tweet seemed odd considering she’s acting as though Sato doesn’t get mentioned with Dunn: a guy that media and fans alike have spoken of being Done and White: a guy media and fans have spoken of being a project, as someone that could start.

Mentioning his Fiba stats, cool, she’s right he’s played well. The rest? Sato has been spoken of as the potential starter as much or more than the other two since the day the Bulls signed him.

What? I can’t criticize a tweet (which, being posted here, made it part of the discussion) about sports because it was tweeted by a female?
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#76 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:31 pm

GameBredAPBT wrote:Hachimura sucks. No idea why anyone is high on him. Stiff athlete with no discernible skills, brahh.

Coby was the pick, and he is going to propel this team into something special. He’s going to be the leader of the Bulls in 4/5 years time, mark my words, that kid has a fire & intensity that is infectious.

OK.. "I'm marking your words".. lol. You guys are hilarious. If Coby White is the "leader of the Bulls in 4/5 years"... this franchise is in deep trouble. "Mark my words".
AKfanatic
RealGM

Post#77 » by AKfanatic » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:34 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
GameBredAPBT wrote:Hachimura sucks. No idea why anyone is high on him. Stiff athlete with no discernible skills, brahh.

OK.. "I'm marking your words".. lol. You guys are hilarious. If Coby White is the "leader of the Bulls in 4/5 years"... this franchise is in deep trouble. "Mark my words".

Just co-signing this for anyone that wants to take names 4-5 years from now.

Rui is going to have a lot of Bulls fans taking about how GarPax whiffed in the draft.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#78 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:39 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
Indomitable wrote:She is really bad at her job.

Yea, that was a little harsh, but they are right about it being a stupid remark. Nobody is talking about Dunn vs. White as the camp duel for the starting PG spot. I think most Bulls fans and even non Bulls fans, know that Sato is the likely starter. Is that really her job though? I don't even know who that is. I thought she was just some girl making a comment.

We might not be talking about it here, but Dunn still has his fans that I've seen say that he will win the starting spot. At least fighting Coby for minutes.

Just know, rabid Bulls fans don't only post on realgm.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
AKfanatic
RealGM

Post#79 » by AKfanatic » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:53 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:why? cuz she's a woman? what an odd post for the two of you to get so bent out of shape about; this is about as mundane a tweet as they come

We might not be talking about it here, but Dunn still has his fans that I've seen say that he will win the starting spot. At least fighting Coby for minutes.

Just know, rabid Bulls fans don't only post on realgm.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Dunn wins the starting spot, I’m hoping Sato does as i like his potential fit, but Dunn has a lot to fight for. He’s also showed small glimpses over the past two seasons of a guy that could be a player, and I could see management wanting Dunn get a lot of court time in hopes of building some value for trade.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#80 » by GameBredAPBT » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:26 pm

Again, “Rui” sucks. Go watch him play. Nothing he does is going to translate to the NBA. He dropped as far as he did in a meh draft for a reason.

I dunno if it’s his “unique” ethnic background (ZzzZz), as I know how completely obsessed Muricans get with “exotic” prospects (cringe!), or what, but I literally have absolutely no clue why anyone would be so high on him. Bulls dodged a bullet by not buying into the hype. Coby will be the best PG from this draft while “Rui” will be putting up empty stats in DC.

Return to Chicago Bulls