ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors a lock for Canadian sports story of the year?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,128

Re: Raptors a lock for Canadian sports story of the year? 

Post#41 » by gp2015 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:12 am

duppyy wrote:Remember when Mike Weir won Masters and how it pushed the "sport" of golf in Canada and caused a new generation of Canadians becoming pro golfers? Yeah that didn't happen. Won't happen with Bianca and Tennis and won't happen with that other girl and golf.

It's already happening in tennis. We basically have 3 men's players in the top 30, and one women who will be at the very top pretty soon. That's unheard of for Canada who have historically struggled badly (to put it mildly) to have success in tennis.

Plus, Weir might have won a major but was never actually considered the very best of his sport. If Bianca wins multiple majors and gets the number 1 ranking, she will be the very best in her sport so it's different from those other cases. Canada having the top player in a major international sport is not something that occurs very often.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
smallgains
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,369

Post#42 » by smallgains » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:34 pm

Hopefully but I don't really care. I'd rather all media, American and Canadian hate the Raps. It's nice to see them squirm.
idonk
Junior
And1: 245

Post#43 » by idonk » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:47 pm

if marner signs a deal before season starts it will win story of the year - green font

Sent from my SM-A705MN using RealGM mobile app
rapluva
Analyst
And1: 937

Post#44 » by rapluva » Thu Sep 5, 2019 3:51 am

GED Education wrote:At first I think it's a no brainer as there really hasn't been anything to rival the championship.

However....

If Bianca Andreescu wins the US Open, I think that's the story of the year. This was debated today on sports radio. What are your thoughts on that?

If Bianca wins...will she shut down ... DownTown Toronto.... I don't think so... :banghead:
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,621

Post#45 » by Psubs » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:21 am

YogiStewart wrote:
Mattd97 wrote:I get global game vs more regional, but unless you've got de grasse winning Olympic medals, Steve nash winning MVPs, gagne winning the cy young, it's just not likely to happen. You need to be fighting to be the best in the world, cause that's what the Crosby's and McDavids are doing

at the age of 19, Bianca is (as of today) the 10th ranked tennis player in the world. not sure how you can deny this kind of accomplishment.

At age 20, Genie Bouchard was ranked #5. So it's been done before.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,621

Post#46 » by Psubs » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:27 am

Aren't the Raptors the greatest Canadian sports story of the last 25 years? Since the Jays went back to back?
Moon Walk
Bench Warmer
And1: 162

Post#47 » by Moon Walk » Thu Sep 5, 2019 11:39 am

White people would look for anything other than some tall black boys playing bball.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#48 » by gp2015 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 3:11 pm

Psubs wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:
Mattd97 wrote:I get global game vs more regional, but unless you've got de grasse winning Olympic medals, Steve nash winning MVPs, gagne winning the cy young, it's just not likely to happen. You need to be fighting to be the best in the world, cause that's what the Crosby's and McDavids are doing

at the age of 19, Bianca is (as of today) the 10th ranked tennis player in the world. not sure how you can deny this kind of accomplishment.

At age 20, Genie Bouchard was ranked #5. So it's been done before.

Good thing that Bianca is a much better tennis player than Bouchard and isn't easily distracted by off-court stuff. 5th ranking would be the worst case scenario right now for her career.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
idonk
Junior
And1: 245

Post#49 » by idonk » Thu Sep 5, 2019 3:35 pm

a canadian winning a tennis grandslam would be up there. only tennis fans know
Psubs wrote:Aren't the Raptors the greatest Canadian sports story of the last 25 years? Since the Jays went back to back?

duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,125

Post#50 » by duppyy » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:18 pm

idonk wrote:a canadian winning a tennis grandslam would be up there. only tennis fans know
Psubs wrote:Aren't the Raptors the greatest Canadian sports story of the last 25 years? Since the Jays went back to back?

Not many tennis fans out there.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#51 » by dagger » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:20 pm

duppyy wrote:
idonk wrote:a canadian winning a tennis grandslam would be up there. only tennis fans know

There are a lot of sports achievement fans, i.e. people who celebrate the success of athletes whose sport they don't usually follow. But as I noted, there is no such thing as sports story of the year in terms of the official awards. The Raptors will be Team of the Year, and as things stand, Bianca will likely be Athlete of the Year.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,938

Post#52 » by EH15 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:21 pm

duppyy wrote:

Tennis has more fans than basketball overall though
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Post#53 » by LLJ » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:29 pm

GED Education wrote:At first I think it's a no brainer as there really hasn't been anything to rival the championship.

However....

If Bianca Andreescu wins the US Open, I think that's the story of the year. This was debated today on sports radio. What are your thoughts on that?

We had a frigging 2 million people parade for the Raptors win. The Raps is the story of the year.

Bianca should win Canadian athlete of the year though, even if she DOESN'T win the US Open
AreBe
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,472

Post#54 » by AreBe » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:40 pm

Moon Walk wrote:White people would look for anything other than some tall black boys playing bball.

St. Louis Blues, with all those Canadians on the team, wining the Stanley Cup is going to get a lot of votes.
Holy Moses! Take a look! Flesh decayed in every nook! Some rare bits of brain lie here, Mortal loads of beef and beer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_McKittrick_Ros
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,772

Post#55 » by life_saver » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:05 pm

I am a huge tennis fan and I am not even exaggerating when I say Bianca is the best teenage talent I've seen in women's tennis in last 20 years (since the era of Williams sisters and Belgian players)....she is an amazing talent. She has a complete game. It's very rare to see someone being this good at various aspects of the game at only 19. The one area in which Bianca stands out the most is that she is also extremely smart tactically..she adapts her game style in between the matches based on the opponent. If she manages to stay fit, she is gonna dominate for quite some time.

Also, all the comparisons with Bouchard are nonsense if you watch them play. Genie Bouchard got slightly lucky with her draws in 2014 and she is a very basic player, she never really had any strong weapons...so it was obvious that she was gonna have a dip once opponents figured her game. She didn't adapt after that and she has been on free fall. Bianca though is a much different player and has **** load of many weapons in her arsenal.

If Bianca didn't get injured for almost 4 months this year (she also had to miss 2 grandslams), she probably could have ended this year as Top2 in the world....she really had an absolutely incredible season...there hasn't been a breakout season like this in tennis in a long long time. Canadian tennis is in a great shape atm....2 of the most promising youngsters in men's tennis are Canadians and then you have Bianca in Women's section.

I think Raps deserve to win the story of the year award for sure...Bianca might win the athlete of the year. Btw, Bianca is also a huge Raps fan.
Read on Twitter
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,235

Post#56 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:55 pm

No I'm sure there's some fairly insignificant hockey story that will be put on a pedestal.

Raps were playing (and winning) their historical first ever NBA Finals yet an all American teamed hockey finals took precedent as the lead story. Canadian media is trash.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
almatic
Veteran
And1: 1,713

Post#57 » by almatic » Thu Sep 5, 2019 6:39 pm

AreBe wrote:
Moon Walk wrote:White people would look for anything other than some tall black boys playing bball.

St. Louis Blues, with all those Canadians on the team, wining the Stanley Cup is going to get a lot of votes.

As if a hockey team at least half-full of Canadians doesn't win the Cup every year or a Canadian doesn't win the Conn Smythe at least every other year.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#58 » by gp2015 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:18 pm

duppyy wrote:

Get out of your cave, there are tons of tennis fans worldwide. It's one of the most popular sports in the world.

Canada didn't care much about tennis in the past because we've historically sucked at it but that's all changing now.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,125

Post#59 » by duppyy » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:22 pm

gp2015 wrote:
duppyy wrote:

Get out of your cave, there are tons of tennis fans worldwide. It's one of the most popular sports in the world.

Canada didn't care much about tennis in the past because we've historically sucked at it but that's all changing now.

I was talking about Toronto.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#60 » by gp2015 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:26 pm

duppyy wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
duppyy wrote:

I was talking about Toronto.

That is fair but that will probably change very soon.

Return to Toronto Raptors