Image ImageImage Image

Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Valentine 

Post#41 » by panthermark » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:02 pm

Wave a towel and cash a paycheck?
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,897

Post#42 » by meekrab » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:23 pm

If healthy, I expect their contribution to be keeping Antonio Blakeney on the bench, so basically MVPs.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#43 » by PaKii94 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Hutch is going to surprise people this year I think. He was already a positive on defense, and now he's gained strength to hang with NBA players. If you put Hutch in the "has tools for a star" but you see that he's not a star then he is a disappointment. For me, I am wanting a solid role player and I think he can exceed those expectations.

Summer league was a compound of rust & poor team play. He is not a high level offensive option. His game comes in on the open court and playing next to higher level options (ala Young & OPJ). In summer league, he was put into a role above his paygrade (1st/second option) and then it got compounded with poor team chemistry and spacing.

Chemistry - Hutch usually makes the right moves and has minimal mistakes. This doesn't help when the team overall is g league level with no cohesion.

Spacing - The spacing on the real Bulls team will help hutch with his game. During summer league, the spacer was.... Coby (which is terrible to think about since he was pretty bad in summer league). Any type of move you would expect him to make as 3rd/4th option, was blocked by a wall of players. This is a hindrance.

So for Hutch I am expecting a very solid 7th-9th man.

As for Valentine, I don't have expectations. Unfortunately health concerns have derailed his NBA career so far. He was starting to round into being another solid point forward roleplayer but then last year happened. If he is fully recovered, I can see him becoming that player again (That type of player isn't dependent too heavily on athleticism). Remember that Taj came back better than ever with the same surgery. If he hasn't recovered, then he's a 12th man at best since his athleticism was already at the bottom end BEFORE the surgery.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,450

Post#44 » by samwana » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:54 am

PaKii94 wrote:Hutch is going to surprise people this year I think. He was already a positive on defense, and now he's gained strength to hang with NBA players. If you put Hutch in the "has tools for a star" but you see that he's not a star then he is a disappointment. For me, I am wanting a solid role player and I think he can exceed those expectations.

Summer league was a compound of rust & poor team play. He is not a high level offensive option. His game comes in on the open court and playing next to higher level options (ala Young & OPJ). In summer league, he was put into a role above his paygrade (1st/second option) and then it got compounded with poor team chemistry and spacing.

Chemistry - Hutch usually makes the right moves and has minimal mistakes. This doesn't help when the team overall is g league level with no cohesion.

Spacing - The spacing on the real Bulls team will help hutch with his game. During summer league, the spacer was.... Coby (which is terrible to think about since he was pretty bad in summer league). Any type of move you would expect him to make as 3rd/4th option, was blocked by a wall of players. This is a hindrance.

So for Hutch I am expecting a very solid 7th-9th man.

As for Valentine, I don't have expectations. Unfortunately health concerns have derailed his NBA career so far. He was starting to round into being another solid point forward roleplayer but then last year happened. If he is fully recovered, I can see him becoming that player again (That type of player isn't dependent too heavily on athleticism). Remember that Taj came back better than ever with the same surgery. If he hasn't recovered, then he's a 12th man at best since his athleticism was already at the bottom end BEFORE the surgery.
I agree about Hutch, he is your typical glue guy of the bench.

If you put him in as your first or second option, he will fail, he is not that. If you put him in as your fifth or maybe fourth option he'll be surprisingly effective and support the other 4 to be better.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#45 » by sco » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:53 pm

Here's the thing that I think fans gloss over. I think the Bulls have a knack for finding guys with good work ethic. I believe both guys will improve to the point where they are starting-level caliber players. Valentine, IMO, would be there by now, if not for the injury - the question is where his athleticism is, but it was an ankle and I feel that his skill level was there before the injury. Hutch, impressed me with his defense and passing as a rookie - he needs to work on his 3pt shot and finishing. He was only cleared to play a week before SL and showed strides over those few games to the point where I think we'll see some good stuff athletically this season.
:clap:
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#46 » by erlim » Sun Sep 1, 2019 9:48 pm

sco wrote:Here's the thing that I think fans gloss over. I think the Bulls have a knack for finding guys with good work ethic. I believe both guys will improve to the point where they are starting-level caliber players. Valentine, IMO, would be there by now, if not for the injury - the question is where his athleticism is, but it was an ankle and I feel that his skill level was there before the injury. Hutch, impressed me with his defense and passing as a rookie - he needs to work on his 3pt shot and finishing. He was only cleared to play a week before SL and showed strides over those few games to the point where I think we'll see some good stuff athletically this season.

I definitely don’t think Val possesses the tools or drive to be a starter level player in the NBA. Hutch...maybe in time, but he’s low on the depth chart now.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#47 » by drosereturn » Mon Sep 2, 2019 2:17 pm

erlim wrote:
sco wrote:Here's the thing that I think fans gloss over. I think the Bulls have a knack for finding guys with good work ethic. I believe both guys will improve to the point where they are starting-level caliber players. Valentine, IMO, would be there by now, if not for the injury - the question is where his athleticism is, but it was an ankle and I feel that his skill level was there before the injury. Hutch, impressed me with his defense and passing as a rookie - he needs to work on his 3pt shot and finishing. He was only cleared to play a week before SL and showed strides over those few games to the point where I think we'll see some good stuff athletically this season.

I definitely don’t think Val possesses the tools or drive to be a starter level player in the NBA. Hutch...maybe in time, but he’s low on the depth chart now.

Both are not worth developing. I mean anyone in the NBA has the potential to become a starter so looking at their ceiling is probably more useful in evaluating these players. Bulls need to clear house outside of their cornerstones and veterans and actually bring in useful players that plays both sides of the court.
Since the Bulls traded for Porter and plan to sign him long term, theres 0 reason to keep overlapping players. Porter does the exact thing but 1000 times better.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
sco
RealGM

Post#48 » by sco » Mon Sep 2, 2019 2:36 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
erlim wrote:

Both are not worth developing. I mean anyone in the NBA has the potential to become a starter so looking at their ceiling is probably more useful in evaluating these players. Bulls need to clear house outside of their cornerstones and veterans and actually bring in useful players that plays both sides of the court.
Since the Bulls traded for Porter and plan to sign him long term, theres 0 reason to keep overlapping players. Porter does the exact thing but 1000 times better.

Nobody's saying start them - just that I think they have potential to be good players, but there will be minutes to be had at back-up SG and SF where I'd love to give Val and Hutch regular minutes to see if they are worth getting into the rotation.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#49 » by Jcool0 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:04 pm

not great

Read on Twitter
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#50 » by PaKii94 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:16 pm

Jcool0 wrote:not great

Read on Twitter

and so it starts :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#51 » by bad knees » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:21 pm

I noticed that Valentine did not appear in any of the photos of the summer workouts. His Twitter account is silent as to what is happening with him. Anyone know if he is actually practicing with the team at this point?

I got a bad feeling about this situation.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#52 » by AKfanatic » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:30 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:not great

Read on Twitter

and so it starts :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Not really surprising given his lack of basketball activities over the past months. Hopefully he’s good to go in a few weeks.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Re: Expectations for Hutchison and Val: Hutch injured p3 

Post#53 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu Sep 5, 2019 8:23 pm

This is really sucking for Hutch. He is the one guy that needs all the time he could get. If this delays him the start of the season - which I expect, arrows will start pointing down on his Bulls future.

He would have to show some amazing stuff this year to really keep buying stock in him.
The Cult of Personality
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#54 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Sep 5, 2019 8:28 pm

This is less of an issue with Thad and Otto around.

However, this does speak to the need to beef up either the PF position or the wing position. Boy am I glad that we signed Shaq and Thad. And Sato. Multiple position players who are not negative on defense are crucial.

The somewhat good news to this is that it does open up a tiny sliver of opportunity for Dunn. Hope he grabs the chance by the balls.
sco
RealGM

Post#55 » by sco » Thu Sep 5, 2019 8:46 pm

I'm calling a bit of meh here. Doesn't sound serious. He's just gotta take it easy for a week or so. Maybe a blessing in disguise...our guys need to focus on being more flexible and I think young guys especially need to learn that lesson.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#56 » by TheFinishSniper » Thu Sep 5, 2019 8:56 pm

Ofcourse he is injured. I expect Lauri to be next. Someone will elbow him in eye or nose or something.

We wouldnt be cursed Bulls otherwise.
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,406

Post#57 » by jump » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks for your consistently upbeat perspective.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#58 » by TheFinishSniper » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:12 pm

I mean every year we start a season the same way. Someone going down before training camp or during training camp for few weeks, which turn into months and surgeries. It's pattern.

This team never gets season healthy and ready. Either they come into camp from rehab getting back to shape or they get injured during one. But you will never see news like Bulls completely healthy and ready for start of new season or training camp.

I mean I am stupid to not expected it. I am just looking at my watch, thinking, yup that was right on time God.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#59 » by Proven_Winner » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:25 pm

bad knees wrote:I noticed that Valentine did not appear in any of the photos of the summer workouts. His Twitter account is silent as to what is happening with him. Anyone know if he is actually practicing with the team at this point?

I got a bad feeling about this situation.

Yea we need updates with him. He has to play this year otherwise replace him.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,206

Post#60 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:32 pm

sco wrote:I'm calling a bit of meh here. Doesn't sound serious. He's just gotta take it easy for a week or so. Maybe a blessing in disguise...our guys need to focus on being more flexible and I think young guys especially need to learn that lesson.

Yeah this is far from worrisome for me. Not good news ever but doesn't seem anything insane.

Return to Chicago Bulls