LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,452

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#301 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:30 pm

TheNG wrote:While there is a reason behind all patent laws invention, I can say I'm 100% sure that if, from now on, it will not be possible to trademark any "slogan", the world as we know it will still manage to function pretty well without any significant loss.

Anytime a lawyer gets paid in today's world...we're a little worse off.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,538

Post#302 » by infinite11285 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:39 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
Therein lies the problem.

You're stating your opinions as facts based on your erroneous beliefs of trademark law, and using those unfounded opinions to create false narratives about what LeBron's doing. There isn't a single thing unethical about what's going on here, but you seem to believe LeBron has nefarious intent with the filing of this trademark.

No, I'm stating opinions as opinions. You're now stating an opinion as a fact here to tell me what I said when you clearly weren't takin the time to read and understand what was said. Similar to the absurd statement that I think what Lebron is doing is nefarious. It think it is unethical, that is not the same thing as nefarious.

When you correlate this particular harmless, commonplace trademark filing to "trademark abuse" and damages incurred from small businesses due to frivolous suits involving unmerited trademarks, without clarification, it's rather simple to see the bridge you're constructing to this being a nefarious action. I'm fairly certain LeBron isn't filing a trademark on "Taco Tuesday" to nickle and dime small businesses.

Doubling down by calling this an unethical action (which it isn't, and no court would agree to that) further validates my point.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#303 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:52 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
Therein lies the problem.

You're stating your opinions as facts based on your erroneous beliefs of trademark law, and using those unfounded opinions to create false narratives about what LeBron's doing. There isn't a single thing unethical about what's going on here, but you seem to believe LeBron has nefarious intent with the filing of this trademark.

No, I'm stating opinions as opinions. You're now stating an opinion as a fact here to tell me what I said when you clearly weren't takin the time to read and understand what was said. Similar to the absurd statement that I think what Lebron is doing is nefarious. It think it is unethical, that is not the same thing as nefarious.

When you correlate this particular harmless, commonplace trademark filing to "trademark abuse" and damages incurred from small businesses due to frivolous suits involving unmerited trademarks, without clarification, it's rather simple to see the bridge you're constructing to this being a nefarious action. I'm fairly certain LeBron isn't filing a trademark on "Taco Tuesday" to nickle and dime small businesses.

Doubling down by calling this an unethical action (which it isn't, and no court would agree to that) further validates my point.

Why would a court determine if something is ethical? That's like asking a homeless man to explain physics.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#304 » by infinite11285 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:21 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Why would a court determine if something is ethical? That's like asking a homeless man to explain physics.

I don't understand your question. Trademark infringement cases involving the misuse of registered trademarks to deceive a particular market for monetary gain is a matter of ethics. Sometimes, they can even be criminal. These matters are settled in court.
SupaManu
Junior
And1: 986

Post#305 » by SupaManu » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:33 pm

Imon wrote:LMAO.
There's a chain of Tex-Mex restaurants here in Texas (Rosa's Cafe) that sells Taco plates at a discount on Tuesdays and calls it "Taco Tuesday"
They've been doing it for many years. I always thought the phrase was a common saying among lovers of Tex-Mex food since I can't remember the first time I heard it but it's been around awhile.

No kidding I used to go to Rosas when i lived in Lubbock for Taco Tuesday and that was like 12 years ago
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#306 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 4:43 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:

I don't understand your question. Trademark infringement cases involving the misuse of registered trademarks to deceive a particular market for monetary gain is a matter of ethics. Sometimes, they can even be criminal. These matters are settled in court.

Ethical "relating to moral principles or the branch of knowledge dealing with these."

Courts do not determine morality. Morality is not a legal term. The use of trademarks is and has been unethical. This is not a legal matter.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#307 » by infinite11285 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 5:14 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Ethical "relating to moral principles or the branch of knowledge dealing with these."

Courts do not determine morality. Morality is not a legal term. The use of trademarks is and has been unethical. This is not a legal matter.

I never said the courts determine matters of morality :-?

They certainly decide matters of business ehtics which is the context of this entire thread.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#308 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 5:48 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:

I never said the courts determine matters of morality :-?

They certainly decide matters of business ehtics which is the context of this entire thread.

lol, we're clearly reading different discussions.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#309 » by freethedevil » Fri Sep 6, 2019 7:20 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
The "x" would make this a completely different discussion...

No it doesn't, how us good morning america different from taco tuesday? It isn't.

The word America there makes these COMPLETELY different.

Only if you think "good morning america" hasn't been used many times before.
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#310 » by Bayside » Fri Sep 6, 2019 8:44 pm

Man this is just mental. We are discussing the self proclaimed KING trademarking taco Tuesday for a poducat! Is it a podcast? WTF is he doing and why is this nesc.? Perfect example of why America, and Americans have become the mantle not for freedom but for being mental. Extreme Narcissism celebrated and promoted to the point of highest levels of office and sports character trademarking sayings that are older than they are. Really are these types of things necessary? Morally deprived characters suggesting courts as outcome to decide if legal or not. Court is for people usually so batshi=** crazy that they cant respond reasonable before hand to prevent it. And it only takes one crazy side to drag another through it incurring costs. Legal yes, but morally corupt, shallow, and self serving. God save us all from these fools.
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#311 » by Greyhound » Fri Sep 6, 2019 9:16 pm

Bayside wrote:Man this is just mental. We are discussing the self proclaimed KING trademarking taco Tuesday for a poducat! Is it a podcast? WTF is he doing and why is this nesc.? Perfect example of why America, and Americans have become the mantle not for freedom but for being mental. Extreme Narcissism celebrated and promoted to the point of highest levels of office and sports character trademarking sayings that are older than they are. Really are these types of things necessary? Morally deprived characters suggesting courts as outcome to decide if legal or not. Court is for people usually so batshi=** crazy that they cant respond reasonable before hand to prevent it. And it only takes one crazy side to drag another through it incurring costs. Legal yes, but morally corupt, shallow, and self serving. God save us all from these fools.

Actually, King James was not “self proclaimed”. It was the Headline of a front page spread (of him) on a Cleveland area newspaper (early in his high school days). So you can blame a Cleveland area copywriter for that one.

LeBron adopted the nickname, and (needless to say) it stuck. These are the facts, guy.
Don't believe the hype...
Bayside
Rookie

Post#312 » by Bayside » Fri Sep 6, 2019 9:20 pm

Oh thanks for clarity. If that is what you get out of this thread and my post then my message probably not meant for you. But thanks for feed back.
Bayside
Rookie

Post#313 » by Bayside » Fri Sep 6, 2019 9:27 pm

No one ever has thought they were wrong when starting something. Even those who most clearly have been in hindsight. It is rare to come across anyone who can change their mind and more so to find someone admit it and say so. I am not so sure how much air time this gets back home in the states. But I would imagine that this would bother certain demographics more than others. Say- lawyers vs consumers. Ohio v. California. Lebronstans v. normal people. But culturally, I think this illustrates some of what is wrong back there. Not like there isnt evidence everywhere.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,470

Post#314 » by Ballings7 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 2:00 am

This thread getting 16 pages is unreal.. offseason or not.

** looks around and leaves **
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#315 » by Grits n Gravy » Sat Sep 7, 2019 2:06 am

I remember when those guys who have the "react" channel on youtube tried to trademark the word "react" like they invented reacting. There was a big uproar about it and lots of people gave them ****. This Lebron thing is so dumb.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#316 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 2:13 am

freethedevil wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
freethedevil wrote:No it doesn't, how us good morning america different from taco tuesday? It isn't.

The word America there makes these COMPLETELY different.

Only if you think "good morning america" hasn't been used many times before.

You'd have not used "X" if you thought that originally.
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#317 » by Greyhound » Sat Sep 7, 2019 2:22 am

Bayside wrote:Oh thanks for clarity. If that is what you get out of this thread and my post then my message probably not meant for you. But thanks for feed back.

That is the only thing in your post I found worth commenting on (something actually related to basketball). All the regional morality and collective sanity nonsense is better left ignored.

By the way, I appreciate your appreciation.
Don't believe the hype...
Bayside
Rookie

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for 

Post#318 » by Bayside » Sat Sep 7, 2019 5:00 am

Greyhound wrote:
Bayside wrote:Oh thanks for clarity. If that is what you get out of this thread and my post then my message probably not meant for you. But thanks for feed back.

That is the only thing in your post I found worth commenting on (something actually related to basketball). All the regional morality and collective sanity nonsense is better left ignored.

By the way, I appreciate your appreciation.

Ironic... And hypocritical at the same time. Guy
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 902

Post#319 » by MugzZo » Sat Sep 7, 2019 6:29 am

Y'all arguing about taco Tuesday....
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,494

Post#320 » by The4thHorseman » Sat Sep 7, 2019 2:13 pm

Ballings7 wrote:This thread getting 16 pages is unreal.. offseason or not.

** looks around and leaves **

WITNESS

Return to The General Board