ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread

Moderators: Yuri Vaultin, pbj, Rhettmatic, Duffman100, Alfred, DG88, Patman, Morris_Shatford

YelloC
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,938
And1: 2,836
Joined: Apr 19, 2018
     

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1701 » by YelloC » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:48 pm

sportsyard wrote:Bjelica from the Kings would be a really underrated bench pick up. Great 3 pt shooter and another big body.

I remember the game where Siakam posted his up on three plays in a row and scored or got fouled each time. Good thing there’s only 1 Siakam in the league.
alan_156
Sophomore
Posts: 240
And1: 352
Joined: Jul 07, 2006

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1702 » by alan_156 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:53 pm

mademan wrote:
sportsyard wrote:
KrazyP wrote:I've been debating if Wiggins is worth taking a flyer on if the Wolves throw some compensation in the form of a draft pick our way.

Something like Ibaka + filler for Wiggins + top 8 protected 2021 1st rounder could work?

Wiggins is grossly overpaid and has underwhelming impact on the court considering his natural talent level...that said, he's only 23 and the Raptors development environment might just be what he needs to kick start his career.


can't send him to the 905... thats where we develop guys. Masai drafts on length, wingspan, IQ etc. He doesn't identify guys that have played in the league 5 years.


More importantly, dudes a bad cultural fit. I dont want guys on this team that dont work; bad attitudes are just as contagious as good ones


I've personally seen Wiggins in the offseason.... He used to come with his buddies at a gym on Dufferin and 7 and I agree, you can tell he was half assing his work on the court. But I don't think that label should stick with him his entire life. Maybe this reputation he's had has motivated him to work harder
TheAlchemist
Head Coach
Posts: 6,741
And1: 6,459
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
   

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1703 » by TheAlchemist » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:16 pm

We still need a 3.

Every championship team had a solid 3.

What I truly, truly want, is both Bradley Beal and Rui Hachimuira from the Wiz.

I'd give anything for those two, aside from Siakim.

That means taking on way more salary, picks , giving both Fred and OG up and futures.

But our team would be set for the next 7 years.

Ugh. Just saw Rui's FIBA highlights. Wiz won't give him up ever.
tecumseh18
RealGM
Posts: 11,876
And1: 4,291
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Location: Big green house
 

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1704 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:35 pm

TheAlchemist wrote:Ugh. Just saw Rui's FIBA highlights. Wiz won't give him up ever.


Correct. So don't even.

If you're so bent on having a proven 3 and don't trust OG, then Otto Porter is your guy. But why trade assets when we can max him out next summer?
"Say asterisk one more time, m_____rf_____r!"
TheAlchemist
Head Coach
Posts: 6,741
And1: 6,459
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
   

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1705 » by TheAlchemist » Tue Sep 3, 2019 5:04 am

tecumseh18 wrote:
TheAlchemist wrote:Ugh. Just saw Rui's FIBA highlights. Wiz won't give him up ever.


Correct. So don't even.

If you're so bent on having a proven 3 and don't trust OG, then Otto Porter is your guy. But why trade assets when we can max him out next summer?


Porter will not blow up and be a star 3.

Thats the key to a championship. A star swingman , even if its a low tier one like 75% of Paul george. .

A shot creator that gets things done would be great.
Dalek
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,040
And1: 3,440
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Location: back to the basket
 

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1706 » by Dalek » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:27 am

I know this team needs some reliable scoring. The guy who is both a good player now and in the long term is Gary Harris.



Denver is fully committed to Jamal Murray but he is a non-traditional point who would benefit with having a guy like Lowry beside him. This does a favour to Lowry who will play with a Finals contender and give them the edgy veteran they need.

Harris is coming off a down year mainly due to nagging injuries, but every year before last he improved every aspect of his game. He is a SG but a two way one that Denver maybe could part with now that Malik Beasley is progressing. Harris is making $17m and they might be willing to move him.

Toronto sends out:
Lowry/Boucher

Denver sends out:
Harris/Plumlee

Toronto gets a star to replace Lowry as opposed to losing him next year for nothing. They can then start Van Vleet and see if he is worth re-signing.

I am a big Harris fan and think he fits the culture here to a tee. Don't know if Denver will deal with Masai, but there is a good case to be made.
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,996
And1: 7,293
Joined: Apr 04, 2017
 

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1707 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:51 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

He looked okay at summer league but I wasn’t that impressed tbh
User avatar
gerrit4
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,558
And1: 2,403
Joined: Mar 10, 2006

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1708 » by gerrit4 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 7:00 pm

Dalek wrote:I know this team needs some reliable scoring. The guy who is both a good player now and in the long term is Gary Harris.



Denver is fully committed to Jamal Murray but he is a non-traditional point who would benefit with having a guy like Lowry beside him. This does a favour to Lowry who will play with a Finals contender and give them the edgy veteran they need.

Harris is coming off a down year mainly due to nagging injuries, but every year before last he improved every aspect of his game. He is a SG but a two way one that Denver maybe could part with now that Malik Beasley is progressing. Harris is making $17m and they might be willing to move him.

Toronto sends out:
Lowry/Boucher

Denver sends out:
Harris/Plumlee

Toronto gets a star to replace Lowry as opposed to losing him next year for nothing. They can then start Van Vleet and see if he is worth re-signing.

I am a big Harris fan and think he fits the culture here to a tee. Don't know if Denver will deal with Masai, but there is a good case to be made.


Harris would be a perfect fit here, and when you consider how little wing scoring we have this season (unless Pascal shifts down to the 3), there's probably a great opportunity to really inflate the stats of a good scorer like Harris. I'll bet he'd average at least 20ppg here.

That said, I doubt that Lowry alone is enough to get Harris. But personally, I'd be willing to give up more. Harris/OG/Siakam isn't exactly a future big 3, but that's a very nice nucleus. If we get lucky on a late first round pick (as we did with Siakam), or a small trade (as we did with Lowry), then it would get us right back into the 50 win range for years to come.
Saul Goodman
Analyst
Posts: 3,291
And1: 1,342
Joined: Feb 27, 2013
         

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1709 » by Saul Goodman » Thu Sep 5, 2019 3:08 pm

I wonder if the Lakers struggle with their guard play and if Kyle Kuzma isn't a fit if we can take advantage



Fred Van Vleet
Hollis Jefferson


for


Bradley
Cook
Kuzma


a 3-4 of Kuzma/Siakam for years to come could be a formiadable force to build around.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
tecumseh18
RealGM
Posts: 11,876
And1: 4,291
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Location: Big green house
 

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1710 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 3:33 pm

Dalek wrote:
Harris is coming off a down year mainly due to nagging injuries, but every year before last he improved every aspect of his game. He is a SG but a two way one that Denver maybe could part with now that Malik Beasley is progressing. Harris is making $17m and they might be willing to move him.

Toronto sends out:
Lowry/Boucher

Denver sends out:
Harris/Plumlee

Toronto gets a star to replace Lowry as opposed to losing him next year for nothing. They can then start Van Vleet and see if he is worth re-signing.

I am a big Harris fan and think he fits the culture here to a tee. Don't know if Denver will deal with Masai, but there is a good case to be made.


Not a stupid idea, which makes your post stand out in this thread. If the Raptors start off well, and OG emerges as an MIP candidate, it's not happening. But otherwise ...

IIRC, Masai has always like Harris. I enjoyed watching him stalk Serge, PJ and Kawhi and finally pull the trigger only when the price was right (i.e. rock bottom). Harris seems to be another realistic target.
"Say asterisk one more time, m_____rf_____r!"
User avatar
sogood
Veteran
Posts: 2,697
And1: 4,064
Joined: Jun 27, 2013

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1711 » by sogood » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:39 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:I wonder if the Lakers struggle with their guard play and if Kyle Kuzma isn't a fit if we can take advantage



Fred Van Vleet
Hollis Jefferson


for


Bradley
Cook
Kuzma


a 3-4 of Kuzma/Siakam for years to come could be a formiadable force to build around.


Lakers would laugh Masai off the phone. Come on now.
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,996
And1: 7,293
Joined: Apr 04, 2017
 

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1712 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:54 pm

Honestly don’t see what all the hype is about Kuzma

He’s like an oversized Jordan Clarkson. Not a player I like too much
Dalek
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,040
And1: 3,440
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Location: back to the basket
 

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1713 » by Dalek » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:09 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Harris is coming off a down year mainly due to nagging injuries, but every year before last he improved every aspect of his game. He is a SG but a two way one that Denver maybe could part with now that Malik Beasley is progressing. Harris is making $17m and they might be willing to move him.

Toronto sends out:
Lowry/Boucher

Denver sends out:
Harris/Plumlee

Toronto gets a star to replace Lowry as opposed to losing him next year for nothing. They can then start Van Vleet and see if he is worth re-signing.

I am a big Harris fan and think he fits the culture here to a tee. Don't know if Denver will deal with Masai, but there is a good case to be made.


Not a stupid idea, which makes your post stand out in this thread. If the Raptors start off well, and OG emerges as an MIP candidate, it's not happening. But otherwise ...

IIRC, Masai has always like Harris. I enjoyed watching him stalk Serge, PJ and Kawhi and finally pull the trigger only when the price was right (i.e. rock bottom). Harris seems to be another realistic target.


Harris is a bit undervalued right now because he had a down season compared to his standards. Malik Beasley looks like he can step up. The problem is that Denver may want the moon for him.

Lowry is a stud but so is a guy like Chris Paul on OKC. Basically, if Denver wanted to put Harris on the trade block there would be no end in suitors so Toronto may end up having to put in a pick or a guy like OG to get the deal done. I would be okay with parting with OG to get Harris but I don't know how that would land with Masai.

Harris is such a low key guy like Kawhi, it is hard to get a handle on if he is happy in Denver, but I think his age, scoring skill from three levels, makes him interesting. He isn't a big wing that is championship level, but he is like a CJ McCollum, Bradley Beal type of guard who is a little better defensively than the other two.
User avatar
TheBoi10
Veteran
Posts: 2,603
And1: 4,726
Joined: Apr 13, 2018
 

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1714 » by TheBoi10 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:13 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:I wonder if the Lakers struggle with their guard play and if Kyle Kuzma isn't a fit if we can take advantage



Fred Van Vleet
Hollis Jefferson


for


Bradley
Cook
Kuzma


a 3-4 of Kuzma/Siakam for years to come could be a formiadable force to build around.


Kuzma is trash :lol:
User avatar
BoyzNTheHood
Veteran
Posts: 2,531
And1: 2,730
Joined: Apr 19, 2015

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1715 » by BoyzNTheHood » Fri Sep 6, 2019 6:10 am

A guy I feel we should be looking at is Frank Ntilikina. The Knicks barely give him any leash to perform. This kid is a already lockdown defender. If he's developed properly there's no reason why he can't be a Tony Allen type of player, or better with some offensive improvement. And he'd be at a bargain price.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Dalek
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,040
And1: 3,440
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Location: back to the basket
 

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1716 » by Dalek » Fri Sep 6, 2019 7:18 pm

Not quite under the radar anymore, but Corey Webster should be signed in the NBA and preferably in Toronto if possible.

He is absolutely tearing up the FIBA tournament and is doing it efficiently.

Speaking of guys with good tempo; Corey Webster has been on a tear throughout the entire World Cup.

The New Zealand Tall Blacks may have been eliminated from the tournament, but Webster hasn’t been the reason, leading all players in scoring at 25.0 points a game. And, it’s not just the fact that his production is so high; it’s the way he’s been doing it.

Over their first three games, Webster has shot 51 percent from the field and 56.3 percent from beyond the arc, capping off his final outing of the first group phase against Greece with 31 points. Throw in 5.0 rebounds and 5.7 assists a game, and the New Zealand Breakers should be smiling at what’s coming out of a healthy Webster.


https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/fiba-world-cup/fiba-world-cup-confidential-joe-ingles-finishes-first-phase-as-tournaments-assist-leader-corey-webster-shooting-the-lights-out/news-story/035b078e694637b3d72d8b2041433c4d

Good level of play, on a big stage and under a microscope this guy is leading the tournament in scoring. He is 30 years old, so why not sign this guy to be the shooting guard for this year?
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,996
And1: 7,293
Joined: Apr 04, 2017
 

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1717 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Sep 7, 2019 1:09 am



thoughts on trading for Bamba? Orlando is loaded with bigs and just committed to Vucevic

imagine a Og/Siakam/Bamba front court on defense
bballsparkin
Head Coach
Posts: 6,663
And1: 5,459
Joined: Mar 03, 2009

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1718 » by bballsparkin » Sat Sep 7, 2019 4:24 am

^^In theory, of course. But at what cost? Not sure what Orlando would want in return from the Raptors. I'd imagine they would rather wait and see how it plays out. See which of the bigs show up to play. And then wait for another team to make an offer perhaps.

How's his shot?
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,996
And1: 7,293
Joined: Apr 04, 2017
 

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1719 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Sep 7, 2019 4:35 am

bballsparkin wrote:^^In theory, of course. But at what cost? Not sure what Orlando would want in return from the Raptors. I'd imagine they would rather wait and see how it plays out. See which of the bigs show up to play. And then wait for another team to make an offer perhaps.

How's his shot?


Given their roster composition it would be a gaurd.

Maybe a deal around Vanvleet? Depending on how they feel about his pending free agency

I can see them wait of course but they are also a playoff team now so they have some pressure to win now

He can shoot more than most rim runners but not good yet. Hovered around 30% from 3 both in the league and in college and his FT% (59% in the league and 68% in college) is not good

He did shoot well from long mid range tho but on fairly low volume (19/43)

His jumper has some promise but I wouldn’t expect a great shooter.
TheAlchemist
Head Coach
Posts: 6,741
And1: 6,459
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
   

Re: 2019 Off-Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread 

Post#1720 » by TheAlchemist » Sat Sep 7, 2019 2:14 pm

I saw some bootleg Mo Bamba trade rumors lol.

I rather not risk any assets we have left for him, since we have a big who can score and is dynamic.

More for a swingman tbh.

Return to Toronto Raptors