Image ImageImage Image

OT: Bears 2018 & 2019 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1181 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:34 am

The Packers defense isn’t good. It is still ass. 3 pts against a garbage defense is a testament to how bad Trubisky and Naggy were yesterday. I saw glimpses of Cade McNown yesterday especially with the ridiculous throws out there. The boos for both Nagy and Trubisky will be louder and harder if they don’t fix their issues in 10 days. No excuse
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#1182 » by sco » Sat Sep 7, 2019 1:06 pm

MeloRoseNoah wrote:The Packers defense isn’t good. It is still ass. 3 pts against a garbage defense is a testament to how bad Trubisky and Naggy were yesterday. I saw glimpses of Cade McNown yesterday especially with the ridiculous throws out there. The boos for both Nagy and Trubisky will be louder and harder if they don’t fix their issues in 10 days. No excuse

I think GB's defense is top 10 this year, but the reality is that 8 in the box defenses will be there all season against him. Unless he shows elite passing and quicker decision making, it's gonna be a long year.
:clap:
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#1183 » by MalagaBulls » Sat Sep 7, 2019 1:08 pm

sco wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:The Packers defense isn’t good. It is still ass. 3 pts against a garbage defense is a testament to how bad Trubisky and Naggy were yesterday. I saw glimpses of Cade McNown yesterday especially with the ridiculous throws out there. The boos for both Nagy and Trubisky will be louder and harder if they don’t fix their issues in 10 days. No excuse

I think GB's defense is top 10 this year, but the reality is that 8 in the box defenses will be there all season against him. Unless he shows elite passing and quicker decision making, it's gonna be a long year.
Exactly, a scared or confused 1 read QB is not gonna take you anywhere.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,743

Post#1184 » by dougthonus » Sat Sep 7, 2019 1:23 pm

While I think all the fears around Mitch and comments are accurate, since I (along with others I'm sure) have been saying them all off-season, I think people do get too worked up about one game now too. It's especially rough since it was a Thursday night game so we have to wait so long for the next one. However, it isn't time to just panic because of one bad game.

The die is cast in terms of the Bears QB. We have to hope that Mitch just had a bad game and is better than this. That's not a totally unreasonable hope. He will start to see this type of defense a lot, but he will then have a chance to react to it, work through his progressions with more time in the pocket and find his guy.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#1185 » by MalagaBulls » Sat Sep 7, 2019 1:31 pm

dougthonus wrote:While I think all the fears around Mitch and comments are accurate, since I (along with others I'm sure) have been saying them all off-season, I think people do get too worked up about one game now too. It's especially rough since it was a Thursday night game so we have to wait so long for the next one. However, it isn't time to just panic because of one bad game.

The die is cast in terms of the Bears QB. We have to hope that Mitch just had a bad game and is better than this. That's not a totally unreasonable hope. He will start to see this type of defense a lot, but he will then have a chance to react to it, work through his progressions with more time in the pocket and find his guy.
Doug, changed the thread title to more accurately reflect the recent content.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#1186 » by Red Larrivee » Sat Sep 7, 2019 2:42 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:My fear about Mitch being a bust is starting to become more and more real.

I hope once in my lifetime the Bears have a top 10 QB. Is top 10 asking for too much?

Right now, the chances of Trubisky becoming an elite or near-elite QB look slim to none. I'll say 2% tops.

The likeliest range of outcomes go from Blake Bortles to Alex Smith-ish. Unfortunately, that range isn't anything you'd want to pay significant long-term money for and it's not a blueprint to winning a SB.

If Mitch doesn't become arguably a Top 10 QB, I would definitely be looking for a replacement after his 4th year.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#1187 » by MalagaBulls » Sat Sep 7, 2019 2:57 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:My fear about Mitch being a bust is starting to become more and more real.

I hope once in my lifetime the Bears have a top 10 QB. Is top 10 asking for too much?

Right now, the chances of Trubisky becoming an elite or near-elite QB look slim to none. I'll say 2% tops.

The likeliest range of outcomes go from Blake Bortles to Alex Smith-ish. Unfortunately, that range isn't anything you'd want to pay significant long-term money for and it's not a blueprint to winning a SB.

If Mitch doesn't become arguably a Top 10 QB, I would definitely be looking for a replacement after his 4th year.
They will have a big decisión this off season on whether to pick up his 5th year option.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 740

Re: OT: Bears 2018 & 2019 Regular Season Thread 

Post#1188 » by Hold That » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:31 pm

In the end this isn’t Nagys drafted QB and I wouldn’t be surprised if we draft one next year. I can’t see Nagy allowing to have Mitch determine the fate of his first coaching job.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#1189 » by Indomitable » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:37 pm

Mitch needs to get better.
:banghead:
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#1190 » by Chi town » Sat Sep 7, 2019 4:56 pm

Raiders release Antonio Brown after trading a 3rd and a 5th for him.

1. Gruden is destroying the Raiders.

2. Mayock is a moron for taking that job.

3. I don’t know if this hurts or helps the Raiders 2nd coming to us... AB cancer killing team or AB gone and helping chemistry.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter

Post#1191 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sat Sep 7, 2019 7:03 pm

Chi town wrote:Raiders release Antonio Brown after trading a 3rd and a 5th for him.

3. I don’t know if this hurts or helps the Raiders 2nd coming to us... AB cancer killing team or AB gone and helping chemistry.

There’s a Patriot jersey that is ready for Antonio Brown at this moment.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#1192 » by rtblues » Sat Sep 7, 2019 11:22 pm

I don't see Trubisky as a starting QB on a contending team. More of a backup.
Whatever physical tools he has, they're negated by lack of smarts at the position.
Not the guy, sorry.

Roll out the excuses out in 4,3,2,1...
It was the OFF line's fault
Bad play calling by Nagy
Blah, blah, blah..
Nope. He just sucks ass.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
MeloRoseNoah
Starter

Post#1193 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun Sep 8, 2019 12:25 am

rtblues wrote:I don't see Trubisky as a starting QB on a contending team. More of a backup.
Whatever physical tools he has, they're negated by lack of smarts at the position.
Not the guy, sorry.

Roll out the excuses out in 4,3,2,1...
It was the OFF line's fault
Bad play calling by Nagy
Blah, blah, blah..
Nope. He just sucks ass.

The O line was atrocious last game as well as Nagy overacted misutilization of personnel. Overplaying scrubs like Cordelle over proven studs like Anthony Miller and D Montgomery is unacceptable.

But Trubisky might turn out to be a big dumbass that doesn’t have the football IQ to read defenses. Very disappointed in last game performance. Still got 15 games left but we shouldn’t be afraid of looking another way if Trubisky is a bum.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#1194 » by AKfanatic » Sun Sep 8, 2019 12:43 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
Chi town wrote:Raiders release Antonio Brown after trading a 3rd and a 5th for him.

There’s a Patriot jersey that is ready for Antonio Brown at this moment.

Yep, that was always the obvious move. AB in New England just adds to the easiness of rooting against the patriots.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#1195 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 4:29 am

Red Larrivee wrote:

I don't think Alex Smith should be compared to Blake Bortles. Smith isn't elite, but he is really good.

A QB like Smith gets you to the Superbowl with a defense like the Bears have, and he played really well in this exact same offense. Those Cheifs teams issue was awful defense.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#1196 » by bearadonisdna » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:40 am

Mitch is an easy target, but the bears showed they are a flawed team.
The bears team that showed up looked capable of losing 10 games.
What can the bears do to make sure that team isn’t the 1 to show up every week?

Well for starters I think the bears are too susceptible to outside influence.
It’s not my joy to be superstitious regarding the team but at some point it seems necessary because we all want the bears to win and they can’t execute without some kind of superstitious ritual.

IMO they have to transcend their surroundings and circumstances. If the whole city is in array, they still have to be able to execute.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,549

Post#1197 » by Dominator83 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 10:09 am

bearadonisdna wrote:Mitch is an easy target, but the bears showed they are flawed team.
The bears team that showed up looked capable of losing 10 games.
What can the bears do to make sure that team isn’t the 1 to show up every week?

Well for starters I think the bears are too susceptible to outside influence.
It’s not my joy to be superstitious regarding the team but at some point it seems necessary because we all want the bears to win and they can’t execute without some kind of superstitious ritual.

IMO they have to transcend their surroundings and circumstances. If the whole city is in array, they still have to be able to execute.

More like flawed offense. The defense may not have gotten any takeaways, but they held Aaron Rodgers to 10 points. That's remarkable. Even more remarkable that the offense couldn't capitalize on that
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,388

Post#1198 » by fleet » Sun Sep 8, 2019 10:57 am

You can point out flaws in the Bears offense sure, but nobody is discussing the flaws of the Packers O. Thats because a good quarterback masks overall flaws. And conversely, a 65 QBR magnifies flaws. All of the sudden a bunch of flaws will show up in New England's offense after Tom Brady is gone.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#1199 » by Red Larrivee » Sun Sep 8, 2019 11:50 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

I don't think Alex Smith should be compared to Blake Bortles. Smith isn't elite, but he is really good.

A QB like Smith gets you to the Superbowl with a defense like the Bears have, and he played really well in this exact same offense. Those Cheifs teams issue was awful defense.

I'm dropping Bortles as the absolute downside and Smith as the absolute upside. Right now, I think that's Mitch's range of outcomes. Alex Smith as an outcome would be fine, but historically QB's like him aren't a blueprint to a SB.

Here's an interesting stat: 41 of the 53 Super Bowls have been won by current, future, or fringe HOF QBs. That's about a 77% rate. That's meaningful for the league right now where QBs are getting paid a big percentage of the cap, where it makes it tougher to keep a team together for an extended period.

Here's another: Of the remaining 12 Super Bowls, 7 were won by non-HOF caliber QBs going against a team with a non-HOF caliber QB. So, these teams got very, very lucky in their matchup.

So, while it is possible to win a SB with an Alex Smith-level QB and this defense, if we really want to win one, we have to eventually luck into a great QB. Obviously that's easier said than done, but I think the NFL shows us that committing a huge perentage of the cap to QBs who aren't usually won't end well.

Even if Trubisky became Alex Smith, I would not give him the money he'll want.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,130

Post#1200 » by molepharmer » Sun Sep 8, 2019 1:44 pm

I believe Mitch's and the offensive performance was more an anomaly than what we'll see going forward. Trubisky only had three games all last year where his QBR was below 70. Their lowest rushing attempts in a game last year was 15, once (next lowest was 22 att). They only had two games last year with 10 or more penalties and only a couple of games where the defense did not create a turnover. Thursday's night fiasco was a completely one off performance from last year, and I don't believe the Bears, nor Trubisky, got worse during the off-season.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."

Return to Chicago Bulls