#NBL20

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

#NBL20 

Post#1 » by MemphisX » Sat Sep 7, 2019 9:38 am

Just a thread for updates on the guys playing in the NBL. LaMelo making his debut today. No live stream though for this one.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
MemphisX
Analyst

Re: #NBL20 

Post#2 » by MemphisX » Sat Sep 7, 2019 9:51 am

Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,181

Post#3 » by clyde21 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 12:58 am

way more interested in RJ
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#4 » by GimmeDat » Sun Sep 8, 2019 1:58 am

Nice. All be all over the NBL this season, have access to every game, so I'll try and keep everyone as updated as I can.

LaMelo had 12/6/5 with 2 steals in 17 minutes, but he had 6 TO's and 5 fouls. Was against a team of sub-NBL level ex/semi pro indigenous athletes (bit of a showcase team that's been put together for some exhibition games - for perspective, their top scorer last night is a 20 year old development player for an NBL team that's not in their regular rotation).

Didn't see the game because it wasn't broadcast, but appears to be the full spectrum of strengths and weaknesses there. I take it largely positively. It's their first organized game together, there will be a lot of building in the next month or so - official preseason doesn't start for another 2+ weeks or so iirc. He showed he can be productive, that's the most important thing.. was relatively efficient as a scorer and made things happen. Still learning to play with his teammates and in a more organized team construct. TO's and fouls are the sort of thing he will hopefully cut down on as the preseason process progresses - if anything I take the fouls as a sign he's at least trying on defense. But yeah, obviously until he is able to cut down on the TO's/fouls, that's going to limit him from starting and playing a big role. Will probably be a spark off the bench if he continues to be too 'erratic'. Their alternative PG option is Saint Mary's alum Emmett Naar, a steady PG who holds SM's record for assists in a season.

Don't believe they play any more games until the official preseason 'Blitz' (20th Sep).

-

Posted in the other thread, but I saw Terry Armstrong play last week, got a little bit of burn, didn't do much, only thing I can recall was making a mid-range pull-up on the baseline. He has also been sick since he got to Australia so his prep/conditioning is probably not quite there yet, so worth keeping in mind. The very early observation I had was that he looked a bit tentative and didn't make the quickest decisions when he caught the ball within the half-court, so will be keeping an eye on that going forward. Obviously toolsy though, looking forward to seeing him develop this season. He is basically the 3rd string SG/SF on this roster so don't expect heaps of minutes for him, my guess is 5-10mpg with a healthy squad in the regular season. He's behind Madgen and probably Gibson (he's a combo) at the 2 and Mitch Creek (had time on Nets/Wolves last season in NBA) and Kendall Stephens (Purdue/Nevada alum, looks to be a quality piece). Team is, imo, built to be a very half-court oriented team, so I dunno if it'll be the best fit for him, but maybe that'll help his development. One plus is lots of great shooters (spacing) and lots of great veteran presence.

Plays again tonight, there'll be a YT stream if anyone's interested, so another chance to catch him there.

-

RJ Hampton's team isn't playing any preseason games until the official preseason 'Blitz' in 2 weeks, so we haven't seen much of him yet. He's projected to start but he's got plenty of help. His dad said he wants him to come out of this season as 'the best PnR player of the draft', which is great and all, but I would like with his size to see some off-ball/shooting utility as well, and with the team he has, he'll have plenty of opportunities to learn to play off of others, because they're stacked with scorers. Corey Webster is THE top scorer in the WC right now at 25ppg, as well as import Sek Henry (just came off Israeli league MVP) at SG, and at the 3 they have Scotty Hopson. IMO they're the deepest team in the league.

-

Didi Louzada will be on the Sydney Kings, but of course he's with Brazil for the WC, so hasn't joined the team yet.

-

There's also a bunch of fringe-NBA guys/prospects that are worth keeping an eye on as well if you're watching NBL games -

Harry Froling - 21yo, C, 6'11

(just went undrafted but could make his way into an NBA spot soon imo. I think he's better than Isaac Humphries has been on an NBA roster both this season and last). 6'11 C with an inside game but shot 44% from 3 last season (has a bit of movement/pullup shooting prowess as well imo) and can really pass the rock. Bit of a 'Jokic' type athletic profile though, lol. Strong and smart but limited vertically/laterally. I'm hoping he gets a big role this season because I think if he gets the ball run through him more he could really show the extent of his passing ability as a high-post hub type.

Sam Froling - 19yo, PF/C, 6'11

The slimmer, more mobile brother, he's going to be playing his first pro season alongside LaMelo on the Hawks, so I'm sure people will see plenty of him.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Was easily the best player for Australia at the u19's earlier this year. Like his brother, great passer, high IQ inside and outside game. Needs to improve his consistency as a shooter because he's clearly going to be a more perimeter oriented big, but the form's good.

Potential 2nd rounder in 2020 imo, keep an eye on him.

Kouat Noi - 21yo, 6'7, SF/PF

If you watched TCU you know Kouat Noi. Left them to go pro this year. Think he's the best bet for NBL ROY this season. NBA level athlete, great shooter (shot 43% from 3 his freshman year on 7.5 attempts per 40, 36% on 9 attempts p/40 soph), pretty long and toolsy, plays hard nosed and strong rebounder. Think he's set on showing an expanded offensive repoitoire over here, played more PF in college and was more of a 3/D type guy but should have expanded role in the NBL and should play majority SF. He's playing with Scott Machado (Had a 10 day with the Lakers last season) and Cam Oliver (you'll know him), among others, but their team's not deep and project to be the worst team in the league.

Here's him from a preseason game from the other day -

Side note: If you followed TCU you will also know Lat Mayen, who also left this season to go pro after having 2 injury riddled seasons. He was very promising and I think we might see him latch on as a development player for an NBL team also.

They're the main ones but I'll throw out some other names quickly -

- Alex Mudronja (19yo dev. player for 36ers, decommitted from Saint Mary's, big PG touted as having some very solid potential),
- Angus Glover (20yo PG/SG for Hawks, was a Hoop Summit invitee with a ton of hype over here but has had multiple ACL tears that have delayed his progress, but came back and dominated the 2nd tier comp over here looking as athletic as ever)
- Will Magnay (21yo C for Bullets, going to be thrust into a considerable role this season, talk has been that he's looking really good)
- Dan Grida (21 SG/SF for Hawks, had a great rookie season, will be on Ball's team so keep an eye out for him)
- Tamuri Wigness (17yo PG, expecting him to sign a development player deal with Brisbane, prospect I've talked about a fair bit here)
- Luke Travers (17yo Dev. player for Wildcats - people over here think this guy has NBA potential, he's decided to stay here rather than go to the NCAA, pretty young so I don't know how much burn he'll get on the best team in the league, but keep a close eye on him if he hits the court)

As for more established but fringe players who I think could potentially get an NBA look in at some point, this is my shortlist

Mitch Creek - Coming back from stints with Brooklyn and Minnesota, touted as a A+ locker room/culture guy, very nearly made TWolves roster for this season. Great swiss-army knife type SF, he's probably a consistent 3-ball away from being a legit NBA roster player, but that's always been his achilles heel.

Jo Lual-Aquil - You guys might remember him from Baylor, he's 25 now and just signed in the NBL. He has been absolutely dominating preseason, had 21/7 first half against another NBL team the other day, hoping he has a good season. Shooting the 3, blocking everything, clearly athletic, but was has really surprised me is he's shown a really faceup/drive game I hadn't really seen before. Took it coast to coast last game as well.

Finn Delaney - Looked really good playing Summer League this offseason, and still only 24. Smaller combo forward type. Currently playing for NZ in the World Cup.

There's also Bogut of course who is a known quantity, and then of course plenty of imports that could get a look in. Cam Oliver will be a guy I'll be following closely.

-

Anyway, that's about everything NBL from an NBA lens.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#5 » by No-Man » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:48 pm

Thanks for that post GD, way to go
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#6 » by GimmeDat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:42 am

Fischella wrote:Thanks for that post GD, way to go

Thanks man
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#7 » by MemphisX » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:26 am

Illawarra Hawks streaming live on Facebook.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#8 » by GimmeDat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:26 pm

MemphisX wrote:Illawarra Hawks streaming live on Facebook.

Struggled with foul trouble, had 4 fouls in his first 12 mins of court time, had the same issue his other warmup game as well.

His team got absolutely spanked by MU, who are probably equal favourites for the title - were missing 5 guys who are currently all playing at the WC for Aus/NZ, but still had all 3 imports playing.

Hawks have some nice young pieces but I'm really skeptical about their season.. just lack talent imo and doesn't help that they've kept to 2 imports when most other teams have 3.

As for LaMelo, he finished with 14 points (6-11 FG, 2/6 3PT) 1 rebound, 2 assists, 3 steals, 1 block, 1 TO in 22 mins. Great production, but it should be stressed that 8 of those points came in ultra-4th quarter garbage time with his team down 40 points and him playing against MU's 'preseason bench' which largely consistented of non/fringe NBL level players.

Hit I believe 2 early 3's to start off the game though, one deep off the catch, one off the dribble, they looked good. Misses were pretty far off as we come to expect from him though. But certainly I felt that his shiftiness/speed/IQ-passing/handle all looked impressive and should translate come real NBL season.
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#9 » by MemphisX » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:47 am

LeMelo is at least giving a darn on defense. His team is definitely subpar. However, I think this will do him a lot better than college. Dealing with the physicality of the NBL will help him know how hard he has to work to get his body together. Really needs to incorporate some of that Dirk-like post/mid-post moves with his height.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#10 » by GimmeDat » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:17 am

MemphisX wrote:LeMelo is at least giving a darn on defense. His team is definitely subpar. However, I think this will do him a lot better than college. Dealing with the physicality of the NBL will help him know how hard he has to work to get his body together. Really needs to incorporate some of that Dirk-like post/mid-post moves with his height.

From what I saw he was at least trying on defense - and I'll take high foul counts over being scared to pick up fouls every day of the week. He's naturally going to struggle guarding strong, grown men in this setting without using his hands etc. somewhat. Had a good play defending a bigger guy in the post and pulled the chair/got the strip.

Seen a lot of the 'Ball stans' come through and say that they're playing too slow/too 'Euro' (whatever that means), but he has to learn to develop his game in half-court sets.. that's just the nature of professional ball and not up and down HS/Drew League play. They're a young team and hopefully they do push the tempo, I'm sure LaMelo will go a long way to achieving that, but it's not going to be non-stop fast breaks. He will learn new elements to his game this season. I think they were faceguarding him off-ball a bit to prevent him from getting the ball, and he looked a bit out of his element cutting off-ball, using the big-passing hub to get open, etc... all little things he will pick up.

I'm hoping the Hawks realize they're a bit undermanned and tweak the roster to get another import later in the season. They have a lot of unproven young guys who they were hoping would step up, and I'm sure a few will, but they can't all blow up at once... a 3rd import would help them immensely. They're also running a dual-C starting lineup which is going to slow them down a lot, don't like that move much.
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#11 » by MemphisX » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:01 am

​LaMelo with 21pts 3rebs 5ast 3stl ZERO turnovers and he fouled out again.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#12 » by No-Man » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:45 am

I still worry about strength/explosiveness when it comes to his game, he is going to have issues getting to his spots, his touch is super good though
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#13 » by GimmeDat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:05 am

Missed the game but impressed with the touch on some of those deep floaters -

It's preseason against incomplete rosters but some very promising signs so far. Only thing holding him back is the foul trouble. Think he's been fouled out of every hit out so far in limited mins.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,806

Post#14 » by zimpy27 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:49 pm

LaMelo has looked better than I thought he would so far in preseason.

He is an interesting prospect if he can keep this scoring efficiency going.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,806

Post#15 » by zimpy27 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:40 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
MemphisX wrote:LeMelo is at least giving a darn on defense. His team is definitely subpar. However, I think this will do him a lot better than college. Dealing with the physicality of the NBL will help him know how hard he has to work to get his body together. Really needs to incorporate some of that Dirk-like post/mid-post moves with his height.

From what I saw he was at least trying on defense - and I'll take high foul counts over being scared to pick up fouls every day of the week. He's naturally going to struggle guarding strong, grown men in this setting without using his hands etc. somewhat. Had a good play defending a bigger guy in the post and pulled the chair/got the strip.

Seen a lot of the 'Ball stans' come through and say that they're playing too slow/too 'Euro' (whatever that means), but he has to learn to develop his game in half-court sets.. that's just the nature of professional ball and not up and down HS/Drew League play. They're a young team and hopefully they do push the tempo, I'm sure LaMelo will go a long way to achieving that, but it's not going to be non-stop fast breaks. He will learn new elements to his game this season. I think they were faceguarding him off-ball a bit to prevent him from getting the ball, and he looked a bit out of his element cutting off-ball, using the big-passing hub to get open, etc... all little things he will pick up.

I'm hoping the Hawks realize they're a bit undermanned and tweak the roster to get another import later in the season. They have a lot of unproven young guys who they were hoping would step up, and I'm sure a few will, but they can't all blow up at once... a 3rd import would help them immensely. They're also running a dual-C starting lineup which is going to slow them down a lot, don't like that move much.

What do you see as a comparison for him.
I kind of think he could have similar stats to DeRozan. Better defender though.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#16 » by GimmeDat » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:27 am

zimpy27 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

What do you see as a comparison for him.
I kind of think he could have similar stats to DeRozan. Better defender though.

For LaMelo, idk, it's hard to say. There's not really a large contingent of 6'6+ PG's to compare to. I think it's really hard to gauge what 'stats' he'd put up either. The intersection of height/length, quickness, passing ability, 'shot-making', and crafty finishing is really unique.
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#17 » by MemphisX » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:38 am

Melo playing again right now. I will say this, going to the NBL was a great decision for him. Out of the country, away from the hype and on a team letting him get some real run at point guard.
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#18 » by MemphisX » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:34 am

RJ Hampton getting ready to play after Melo's game.
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#19 » by MemphisX » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:49 am

18/10/6 for Melo 5/7 from 3 through regulation...
MemphisX
Analyst

Post#20 » by MemphisX » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:19 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to NBA Draft