ImageImageImage

OT: Antonio Brown to the Patriots!!! UPDATE: Bye AB...

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Re: OT: Antonio Brown to the Patriots!!! 

Post#21 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Sep 8, 2019 11:08 am

GoGreen wrote:Bill Belichick is truly an evil genius.

I've said it before, he's the sith lord. :D

He finally got Tommy good receivers tho. Thomas is underrated, Brown is top 3 in the league, Edelman is super reliable and you still have Harry who should be great as well(with some time)...
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#22 » by ParticleMan » Sun Sep 8, 2019 1:23 pm

yeah it's pretty stunning. a few weeks ago our top playing receivers were an undrafted rookie and a guy with more consonants than talent. now, assuming everyone stays on their respective wagons, we've got the best WR corps in the L.

it's times like these i wish i was more into trolling.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#23 » by Wes-J » Sun Sep 8, 2019 2:03 pm

watsonthedragon wrote:
Wes-J wrote:Don't count on AB getting much snaps any time soon. He's not used to structure and playing within a system that is very precise and details oriented. Now he's got to find chemistry with a HOF QB that demands he be exactly on a spot at a given time. He was a freelancer in Pittsburgh, I had doubts as to how he would adjust to Gruden's offense.

I don't see the fit. And we haven't even touched on the nutcase issue.

For all of ABs antics off the field, he’s an extremely smart player. He’s also easily the best route runner and YAC guy in the league, which is exactly what the Pats thrive with (see: Edelman). He isn’t a Julio or AJG who dominate with their size and strength. I think it’s a perfect fit (on the field, at least). He’s easily the 2nd most talented WR Brady has ever had to throw too.

Talented yes, but extremely smart player and best route runner in the league you couldn't be more wrong. You're about to find out.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#24 » by Wes-J » Sun Sep 8, 2019 2:14 pm

Can't even believe anybody is gushing over this. What ever you think of Kyrie, AB is 10x a worse person. Unbelievable.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#25 » by OldCeltics » Sun Sep 8, 2019 3:15 pm

Wes-J wrote:Can't even believe anybody is gushing over this. What ever you think of Kyrie, AB is 10x a worse person. Unbelievable.

Huge difference between a young coach like Brad Stevens, and Tom Brady/ Bill Belichick. They will hold anybody in check, or cut them from the team. Irving was our defacto leader, but was crazy, and alienated half the team.
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,442

Post#26 » by Saint Lazarus » Sun Sep 8, 2019 3:19 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:

He finally got Tommy good receivers tho. Thomas is underrated, Brown is top 3 in the league, Edelman is super reliable and you still have Harry who should be great as well(with some time)...

I can't believe you forgot about Flash Gordon, saviour of the universe.
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#27 » by OldCeltics » Sun Sep 8, 2019 3:25 pm

Green89 wrote:Patriots now have the best odds to win the Super Bowl, after the Brown signing. They were previously second behind the Chiefs.

Still 6-1 vegas odds seems like easy money to me
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by Wes-J » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:10 pm

OldCeltics wrote:
Wes-J wrote:Can't even believe anybody is gushing over this. What ever you think of Kyrie, AB is 10x a worse person. Unbelievable.

Huge difference between a young coach like Brad Stevens, and Tom Brady/ Bill Belichick. They will hold anybody in check, or cut them from the team. Irving was our defacto leader, but was crazy, and alienated half the team.

He'll be gone in a month. Maybe that's too generous.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,952

Post#29 » by 31to6 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:14 pm

I will admit I’ve been rubbernecking at his various meltdowns over recent years with a sense that it’s all quite gross. He’s the only professional athlete where I’ve ever googled “is _____________ mentally ill”.

As with Gordon it certainly might not work. But if it does HOLY HELL
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#30 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:22 pm

Green89 wrote:Patriots now have the best odds to win the Super Bowl, after the Brown signing. They were previously second behind the Chiefs.

We were the best team even before AB.

Chiefs a good team, but they get a lot of hype for a team that was 0-2 against us last year, and who have 2 playoff wins in the last 25 years.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#31 » by Green89 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:13 pm

Jacoby Brissett starting for Indy. Sacked on his first snap.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#32 » by ParticleMan » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:34 am

Wes-J wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:

He'll be gone in a month. Maybe that's too generous.

maybe, but for $9m kraftbucks it's worth a gamble. totally different situation than kyrie who was the de facto leader of our team. if AB steps out of line he's gone. you know BB isn't going to stand for posting recorded convos on snapface, i almost wanna see it happen just for the entertainment value of BB's press conference afterwards, holy hell.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#33 » by GuyClinch » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:33 pm

Guys you know he was just pretending to be a whack job to get off the Raiders right? Guy obviously cares about winning some - who knew..

Strange move since Pats run the ball some and he won't get as many catch chances. OTOH they will be better chances - so maybe he prefers that.. I mean can you even double him with Julian and Gordon out there? Rest of the NFL is screwed as long as Dante can work miracles with the line.

OL is the issue now. It looked much worse after Cannon got undercut and landed on his shoulder.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#34 » by sam_I_am » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:56 pm

GuyClinch wrote:Guys you know he was just pretending to be a whack job to get off the Raiders right? Guy obviously cares about winning some - who knew..

Strange move since Pats run the ball some and he won't get as many catch chances. OTOH they will be better chances - so maybe he prefers that.. I mean can you even double him with Julian and Gordon out there? Rest of the NFL is screwed as long as Dante can work miracles with the line.

OL is the issue now. It looked much worse after Cannon got undercut and landed on his shoulder.

Guy IS a whack job. He lost $30 million in guaranteed money. Only $10 million is guaranteed with Pats but since $9 million was bonus money the Pats control how he gets paid. This is a win for Patriots. They got a Kyrie Irving ( elite talent, hard worker, solid guy dedicated to his craft but a locker room diva/cancer ) to be a complimentary player. They aren’t asking him to lead them .... simply to add quality talent to a team already loaded. It would be like last year’s Warriors adding Kyrie to their Big 4 for midlevel exception.

The idea that AB masterminded anything.....is ludicrous. What if he breaks his ankle on his first play? Had he honored his contract in Oakland....he would get $30 million guaranteed. I’m not sure what he gets if that happens now.....at most it would be $10 million. To give that up like he did is nuts.
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#35 » by GuyClinch » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:56 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
GuyClinch wrote:Guys you know he was just pretending to be a whack job to get off the Raiders right? Guy obviously cares about winning some - who knew..

Guy IS a whack job. He lost $30 million in guaranteed money. Only $10 million is guaranteed with Pats but since $9 million was bonus money the Pats control how he gets paid. This is a win for Patriots. They got a Kyrie Irving ( elite talent, hard worker, solid guy dedicated to his craft but a locker room diva/cancer ) to be a complimentary player. They aren’t asking him to lead them .... simply to add quality talent to a team already loaded. It would be like last year’s Warriors adding Kyrie to their Big 4 for midlevel exception.

The idea that AB masterminded anything.....is ludicrous. What if he breaks his ankle on his first play? Had he honored his contract in Oakland....he would get $30 million guaranteed. I’m not sure what he gets if that happens now.....at most it would be $10 million. To give that up like he did is nuts.

$30 million but his contract was three years. He gets around 1/3 of that guaranteed now - but his contract is one year. That's kinda a big difference there.

As far as AB not being any kind of "mastermind" maybe so. But it's quite possible that he got it in his head he wanted out - even if the deal money wise wouldn't be as sweet.. So he decided to get kicked of the team and become a free agent.

Watch him be a good citizen here - and then resign with another contending team next year for Raiders equivalent salary.. That's likely his plan. Whack jobs don't lust to be on the Patriots - they join the Raiders.

The whole helmet thing - and the owner being a 'cracker' just part of his plan to get released. Guy has been in the league a while and made tons of great catches. Obviously he has the mental makeup to be a professional - albeit a diva type. I think he makes it the whole year.

The whack job persona might have worked a bit too well on some fans. I don't think he is actually insane or suffering from bad CTE. But I guess we will find out.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,427

Post#36 » by KL78192020 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:35 pm

Yup there were absolutely no issues with him his first 7 years on the Steelers. Just the past couple of years the money/touches became and issue. He clearly didn't want to go to the Raiders.

Plus Pats get him for free the Raiders gave away a couple of picks lol. Easy cut if he does act up.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#37 » by sam_I_am » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:46 pm

AB may make out in the end, but giving up 30 mil guaranteed for 10 at age 31 in NFL is a really bad business move. Leaving LA/Vegas for Boston is also questionable marketing move too. No chance Pats pay him 20 mil next year.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Post#38 » by Parliament10 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:51 pm

Antonio Brown has all the accolades, except one.
He's on the right team. For a Championship Ring.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#39 » by GuyClinch » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:03 pm

sam_I_am wrote:AB may make out in the end, but giving up 30 mil guaranteed for 10 at age 31 in NFL is a really bad business move. Leaving LA/Vegas for Boston is also questionable marketing move too. No chance Pats pay him 20 mil next year.

Money with the Pats is signing bonus - so he get the money NOW - his guaranteed money with the Raiders was SALARY - so its spread out. The Raiders had him at 3 YEAR DEAL - and now he has a 1 YEAR deal with the money UPFRONT.

Could he sign a two year deal after this years deal with better terms? You think he can't - he thinks he can - we shall see what happens. A good year on the pats could lead to a decent payday.

It's a questionable decision - like riding a motorcycle or dating a stripper. Its not **** crazy..
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Post#40 » by Parliament10 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:27 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics