ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#2681 » by Patman » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:35 am

Kenter16 wrote:Well, I took a few minutes and looked at who is going to be going to the qualification tournaments...

My best guess based on what I have seen.
Qualify automatically - USA, Argentina, Serbia, France, Tunisia, Japan, Australia and China.

That leaves these guys as the likely qualifiers for the tournaments ( * for the two chosen after the WC);
Africa-
Nigeria
Senegal*
Angola*

Americas-
Brazil
Venezuela
DR
PR
Canada
Mexico*
Uruguay*

Asia-
New Zealand
Iran*
Philippines*

Europe-
Poland
Russia
Spain
Italy
Czech Republic
Lithuania
Greece
Turkey
Germany
Slovenia*
Croatia*

If we get drawn with Spain we are done. I think we have a chance with everyone else.

Best case scenario is that Spain, Lithuania, and Germany are in the other last chance tourneys. Germany has underperformed in the WC but they have a strong team.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#2682 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:27 pm

Kenter16 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1169377807702446080&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bardown.com%2Fsteve-nash-criticizes-canadian-players-dropping-out-from-the-national-team-1.1360803

Setting aside the argument over Nash's own commitment, everything he and Simmons said is right. I posted similar thoughts a few weeks ago, and the reply came back it's about money. But as Simmons said, playing for a different coach, hostile environment, games that matter - how can you not be a better player from such an experience?
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
OntZags
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#2683 » by OntZags » Fri Sep 6, 2019 10:10 pm

Kenter16 wrote:
If we get drawn with Spain we are done. I think we have a chance with everyone else.

Honestly, Spain these days is very beatable. Even the team we brought to the World Cup would have a punchers chance.
If they just get 6-8 of the right NBA guys, I think Canada is the favourite.

Lithuania and probably even Slovenia worry me more to be honest.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,747

Post#2684 » by And1Skip » Sat Sep 7, 2019 9:45 am

Lol I guess I was the only one here who woke up early to watch Canada demolish Jordan by 55 pts shooting 24 for 44 from three. There was no defence played by Jordan whatsoever for the whole entire game and listening to how frustrated their coach was in the timeouts was hilarious. They almost had the FIBA scoring margin record of 59 set by Serbia earlier when they were up 60 with less than a minute left but Canada was never disrespectful to the other team and like the commentator said been professional the whole entire game even though they were massively blowing them out. Hope this hot shooting trickles into next game vs Germany because though they pretty much locked a spot into the qualifying tourney, seeding is very important because I’d love Canada to be in a group next July with more teams like Jordan’s quality lol

Read on Twitter
?s=21
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#2685 » by frumble » Sat Sep 7, 2019 12:37 pm

Here's an article on the travel hoops Morgan and Klassen had to jump through to get to China, and on how accommodating their clubs were. It also notes that Morgan, not having been invited to camp, had to learn the playbook from scratch.

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/sports/owen-klassen-and-conor-morgan-make-huge-sacrifices-to-play-for-canada-349532/
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#2686 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 4:19 pm

OntZags wrote:
Kenter16 wrote:

Honestly, Spain these days is very beatable. Even the team we brought to the World Cup would have a punchers chance.

Slovenia is practically a one man team. Other than Doncic, they have nothing. Right now, sans Doncic, they are one of the least talented teams in all of Europe.

Their other best players like Blazic, Prepelic, and Vidmar are at the level of being like 11th-13th men on a EuroLeague team.
young11a
Rookie
And1: 1,587

Post#2687 » by young11a » Sun Sep 8, 2019 2:26 pm

OntZags wrote:
Kenter16 wrote:

Why would Spain be in that change tourney?
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#2688 » by TheFutureMM » Sun Sep 8, 2019 2:31 pm

young11a wrote:
OntZags wrote:
Kenter16 wrote:

Spain, Serbia, France, and Poland are all going to make the Quarter Finals. Czech Republic could also make it as well.

If Spain loses in the Quarters they have a chance to have to play in the 2nd Chance tourney.
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#2689 » by Kenter16 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 3:39 pm

TheFutureMM wrote:
young11a wrote:
OntZags wrote:

Spain, Serbia, France, and Poland are all going to make the Quarter Finals. Czech Republic could also make it as well.

If Spain loses in the Quarters they have a chance to have to play in the 2nd Chance tourney.

They could win in the quarter finals and still have to play in the 2nd chance tourney.
Only 2 spots available for Spain, Serbia, France and Poland.
Spain plays Poland in the quarters.
Serbia will face Argentina.
If France beats Australia tomorrow they will avoid the USA.

Its very possible it will be 3 European teams in the semi's. The 3rd place game will likely be an win and in Olympic qualifier for the 2nd Euro spot. The loser of that game is probably going to get drawn against Canada in the 2nd chance tourney, just cause we will never catch a break.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#2690 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:02 pm

Lithuania was robbed, sad to see that.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
kwajo
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,227

Post#2691 » by kwajo » Sun Sep 8, 2019 7:09 pm

Read on Twitter
”I’m just a man, standing in front of a Raptor, asking them to love me.”
young11a
Rookie
And1: 1,587

Post#2692 » by young11a » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:12 pm

Kenter16 wrote:
TheFutureMM wrote:
young11a wrote:

They could win in the quarter finals and still have to play in the 2nd chance tourney.
Only 2 spots available for Spain, Serbia, France and Poland.
Spain plays Poland in the quarters.
Serbia will face Argentina.
If France beats Australia tomorrow they will avoid the USA.

Its very possible it will be 3 European teams in the semi's. The 3rd place game will likely be an win and in Olympic qualifier for the 2nd Euro spot. The loser of that game is probably going to get drawn against Canada in the 2nd chance tourney, just cause we will never catch a break.

Well Poland is terrible how did they even make it out the 1st round
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,490

Post#2693 » by Mattd97 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 11:31 pm

kwajo wrote:
Read on Twitter

lot of things always stacked against us in fiba
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
21 TD
Junior
And1: 131

Post#2694 » by 21 TD » Sun Sep 8, 2019 11:57 pm

It'll probably never happen obviously, but theoretically, what would the ideal team Canada be?

Starters: Olynyk, Wiggins, Thompson, Murray, Joseph

Bench: Barrett, Gilgeous-Alexander, Powell

On the bubble: Kabengele, Brooks, Clarke, Alexander-Walker, Birch, Lyles, Boucher, Ejim, Heslip, Pangos, P. Scrubb, T. Scrubb, Stauskas, Wiltjer
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#2695 » by Alfred » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:06 am

21 TD wrote:It'll probably never happen obviously, but theoretically, what would the ideal team Canada be?

On the bubble: Kabengele, Brooks, Clarke, Alexander-Walker, Birch, Lyles, Boucher, Ejim, Heslip, Pangos, P. Scrubb, T. Scrubb, Stauskas, Wiltjer

Wiggins is one of the worst players in the NBA FWIW. I wouldn't even want him on the team.
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#2696 » by gundysmullet » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:14 am

21 TD wrote:It'll probably never happen obviously, but theoretically, what would the ideal team Canada be?

SGA and Murray start in the back court over Joseph at this point. Brooks or Barrett at the three, Olynyk and Powell at the five and four. And then you’ve got TT, Burch, Boucher, Clarke and Kabangele at the fours and fives.
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,404

Post#2697 » by Sakkreth » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:11 am

Even with all this talent Pangos should make it imo. He looked better than CoJo.
mathgeek
Junior
And1: 136

Post#2698 » by mathgeek » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:24 pm

Canada playing in a tight one at the end of the 3rd with Germany. Anyone know of any free streams?
And1Skip
Lead Assistant

Post#2699 » by And1Skip » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:29 pm

mathgeek wrote:Canada playing in a tight one at the end of the 3rd with Germany. Anyone know of any free streams?

Watching a very nice free stream at DAZN right now which I'm going to cancel right after this game (or end of the month before I get charged).

Canada hasn been ice cold today unlike last game. Unfortunately, if they lose which right now they likely will, they'll finish 21.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant

Post#2700 » by And1Skip » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:56 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Damn, we NEED more NBA players for next July to have a sliver a chance. Lots of good teams going to be in the qualifying tourney. We should have won this game. Way too many missed "WIDE OPEN" shots and layups.

Return to Toronto Raptors